PDA

View Full Version : I wish I lived in Vancouver...

roopi
10-10-2003, 05:06 PM
It looks like the competition in the GVA is going to get a little crazy.

Look what Fido launched yesterday:

CITY FIDO TAKES TO THE STREETS OCTOBER 9 IN GREATER VANCOUVER
Microcell launches the first home and mobile service in Canada
Montréal, October 6, 2003—Microcell Solutions Inc., the national provider of Personal Communications Services (PCS) under the Fido® brand name, today announced the upcoming launch of City Fido™, the true alternative to traditional wireline telephone service.

“Since its inception, Microcell has pursued a path of innovation and built new ways for Canadians to use wireless technology as their preferred everyday communications tool,” stated
André Tremblay, President and Chief Executive Officer of Microcell Telecommunications Inc. “Our vision has always been to give Canadians an alternative to traditional wireline telephone
service, and City Fido does just that. This new initiative is supported by various market studies that indicate that a growing number of people are now ready to go completely wireless, and
Microcell is proud to be spearheading this new category of service in Canada. It’s an enormous leap forward for our company and a critical stage in the evolution of Canada’s wireless industry.”

For a price comparable to that of their current local service, customers can now have a home phone that is also a mobile phone. Attractively priced at $40 per month, City Fido provides
unlimited anytime local calling in the Greater Vancouver area. As with Fido Service, customers receive a number of Included Services, such as Call Waiting, Call Forwarding and Conference
Call. Other valuable services, such as Text Messaging, Call Display, Voice Messaging, long distance, mobile Internet and data transmission, national roaming on Fido’s network and
international roaming in 139 countries, are also available at affordable prices with City Fido.

In addition, the vast majority of customers will have the option of transferring their existing home or single-line business phone number to their City Fido service and keeping their white pages
directory listing, while enjoying the benefits of a fully mobile service. In fact, Microcell is the first and currently the only wireless company in North America to offer Local Number Portability.

Customers will also retain access to 911 emergency service and 411 directory assistance. “More than just another airtime package or service bundle, City Fido is a completely new
category of wireless service and the first of its kind in Canada. This fully integrated service adapts perfectly to the needs and lifestyles of single urbanites, young professionals, students,
SOHOs, and anyone who wants to add the benefit of mobility and larger local calling area to their local phone service,” said Alain Rhéaume, President and Chief Operating Officer of Microcell Solutions. “It’s one phone, one number, one bill, and the only phone service they’ll ever need.”

City Fido includes unlimited local calling throughout the entire Lower Mainland of British Columbia, covering a larger Local Calling Area than the incumbent telephone company. A 25¢ fee for 911 emergency service is added to the monthly service charges. A one-time $50 management fee applies upon activation. There are no additional or recurring charges for system access, white pages listing, or phone number transfer.

Customers in Greater Vancouver can subscribe to City Fido starting October 9 by visiting any Fido corporate or retail partner location, or by calling 1 888 481-FIDO (3436). Full details and
conditions will also be available as of October 9 at ww.cityfido.ca.

So then Telus came back with this:

Telus Mobility Gets In A Dogfight with Fido
$40 wireless phone plan `ridiculous'

Telus promises to match monthly price

Telus Mobility is biting back at Fido.

Telus Corp.'s mobile phone unit launched an unusually aggressive advertising campaign yesterday urging customers of rival Microcell Telecommunications Inc. to dump that company's Fido wireless service.

The Telus Mobility newspaper ad offers Fido users a free mobile phone and better coverage, and promises to match any monthly rate plan they have with Montreal-based Microcell.

The campaign is a direct response to Microcell's announcement Monday that it will be offering a $40 flat-rate wireless plan in Vancouver as an alternative to traditional landline service, said George Cope, chief executive officer of Telus Mobility, in an interview with the Star.

"It's saying (to Microcell), if you're going to compete with a direct hit at price points in one of my strongest markets, then I don't mind competition," said Cope, pointing out that the campaign is aimed at Microcell customers in Ontario and Quebec.

"I know their clients leave their network faster than anybody else's, and they leave every month dissatisfied customers, so I'm going to go after those clients."

Alain Rhéaume, chief operating officer of Microcell, said competitors have used such tactics before and failed.

"It's never had a big impact on our operations or customer base," he said, adding that his rival is overreacting. "We don't see ourselves as a threat to Telus with the launch of (our flat-rate service)."

Microcell's local phone service, dubbed City Fido, became available yesterday in Vancouver — near Telus's headquarters in Burnaby — but the company plans to deploy the product across Canada. Microcell said earlier this week it hopes to convince younger consumers who like to be mobile that one of its wireless phones is all they need. Switching to a Fido-only service could mean the cancellation local lines from Telus.

"We are going to defend our organization," Cope said. "Whatever their best rate plan, we'd adjusted out billing systems to be able to match it."

He called the launch of City Fido an "irrational" move backed by a "ridiculous," unsustainable price that undermines the health of the entire wireless industry.

"There's no return on investment with a $40 unlimited wireless plan.

"There's one company that tried this in the U.S. called Leap Wireless, and I think they filed for Chapter 11," said Cope, adding that Microcell also doesn't have the network coverage or capacity to support the service properly.

One industry analyst, who asked not to be named, said Telus is trying to get Microcell to back off its City Fido plan. He said both Bell Mobility and Rogers Wireless think Microcell's City Fido price plan is "insane," and that both companies may strike back with campaigns of their own.

Another theory is that Microcell is trying to become a nuisance so that Rogers Wireless will buy it just to eliminate a competitor.

"I think Telus Mobility's advertisements may be a bit of a knee-jerk reaction," said another analyst, who warned that the company might have to address some legal issues by using the Fido trademark and even a picture of a dog in its ads.

Rhéaume said he didn't see the tactics as a big issue, though he added, "we're going to do what needs to be done to protect our brand."

Now I wonder what's going to be the result of this. Maybe Rogers will finally buy Fido. :(

I just hope that CityFido comes to Alberta next.

AaronS13
10-10-2003, 05:43 PM
why would you want to live in vancouver??? so you could have a cheap cell phone plan but your phone would only work 1/4 of the time.... and as soon as you leave van... 20 cents/min regardless.... hmmmm... (can you tell i work for telus mobility??? hehehe)

honestly, the price is wicked, but yeah... i wouldn't touch fido with a ten foot pole....

illeagle
10-10-2003, 05:45 PM
yah, vancouver.... I might have a better chance of Bedding Kristen Kreuk....... No? ...okay

roopi
10-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by AaronS13
why would you want to live in vancouver??? so you could have a cheap cell phone plan but your phone would only work 1/4 of the time.... and as soon as you leave van... 20 cents/min regardless.... hmmmm... (can you tell i work for telus mobility??? hehehe)

honestly, the price is wicked, but yeah... i wouldn't touch fido with a ten foot pole....

Well I don't actually want to live in Vancouver. I want this cell phone plan though. It's unlimited local calling for $40.00/month. The coverage is excellent as well. They also offer number portability so you can have your house number on your cell phone.

It covers the Greater Vancouver Area so this is a very good deal. It's cheaper than having a landline. Also Fido has $0.10/minute long distance so that is a great price as well.

Even if they charge $0.20/minute when you leave the GVA it is still better than having a Telus Landline and a cell phone IMO.

I don't like the fact that there is a monopoly in the residential phone line market.

Davetronz
10-10-2003, 09:11 PM
I agree with roopi, I would be all over this plan in a shake of a whang.

Shaolin
10-10-2003, 09:26 PM
40 bucks a month for unlimited? dammm..

fcuk_it
10-10-2003, 09:30 PM
i was talkin to the fido representitive at futureshop a few days ago and if it does good in van they are gonna bring it to calgary in a few months

link785
10-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Friend of mine has this plan, he now no longer needs a land line phone, pretty awesome if you ask me.

ninspeed
10-10-2003, 11:16 PM
why cant telus do this? Bundle a cell phone/home phone/dsl line all in to one # and bill... do you know many people would buy into that??? look at shaw and their digital bundle.. digital cable and internet, and i know ALOT of people with this.

Weapon_R
10-10-2003, 11:54 PM
If it comes here, i'd bet that telus and Rogers will match it. If not, I will go to Fido :)

That is THE perfect plan :D

roopi
10-11-2003, 03:34 AM
Well what I've heard is the reason they chose Vancouver as the starting point is because that is were there network is the strongest. They are expecting alot of usage so they need to see if the network can handle it. The original plan is to give it a 8 months test run but if it goes real well they will start implementing it in other cities sooner.

Well Telus has already answered back but I'm not to impressed with it. I guess Rogers has had alot of cancellations in the past few days so they are launching a new plan. It won't be in effect until Nov. 15 but take a look at these details:

EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 15th, 2003 for all of Canada:

44.00 per month + 6.95 (SAF) + 0.25 (911) + applicable taxes

3000 minutes of anytime calling (day or night)

On top of the price, you'll need to add any essential services you want and also have to add on one of the following options:

4.00 per month:
unlimited Canadian weekend L/D from Friday 6pm - Monday 8am

6.00 per month
unlimited Canadian eve/weekend L/D from Friday 6pm - Monday 8am

All in all, assuming your in B.C. and take the 6.00 L/D option with your plan and add the 12.00 bundle pack for VM, CD and TM's, your bill would be:

$79.23

And you would have the following plan credentials:

- 3000 minutes anytime calling
- Unlimited Canadian eve/weekend long distance from 6pm
- Call waiting
- Conference calling
- 2500 minutes of call forwarding
- Call display
- Enhanced voicemail
- 75 outgoing SMS/2500 incoming SMS

xkon
10-11-2003, 09:13 AM
ill be getting that plan when it comes out!!

AaronS13
10-13-2003, 09:08 AM
wow... that rogers plan.. is... ummm... nuts!!!!

oh, and fido has put ZERO dollars into their infrastructure in the last 3 years, so who knows how well the network will hold out...

roopi
10-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by AaronS13
wow... that rogers plan.. is... ummm... nuts!!!!

oh, and fido has put ZERO dollars into their infrastructure in the last 3 years, so who knows how well the network will hold out...

Even if they put zero dollars into their Network it is still stronger than the Rogers GSM network. Again Fido only covers major centers but in those centers their network is much better than Rogers.

kenny
10-13-2003, 02:29 PM
Before Fido rolls out City Fido in Calgary, they will have to add a bunch of cell towers as well as upgrade existing towers not only to increase the signal strength but to add network capacity as there will be alot more usage if its unlimited calling. Would be nice if they launch city fido in Calgary though, I'd switch to it :)

boi-alien
10-13-2003, 02:37 PM
if this comes to calgary i'm switching to fido too

sandman
10-13-2003, 03:27 PM
:werd:

sandman
10-13-2003, 03:27 PM
:werd:

Weapon_R
10-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Before Fido rolls out City Fido in Calgary, they will have to add a bunch of cell towers as well as upgrade existing towers not only to increase the signal strength but to add network capacity as there will be alot more usage if its unlimited calling. Would be nice if they launch city fido in Calgary though, I'd switch to it :)

I'm pretty sure their network can handle the unlimited calling as it stands right now.

If you check into their plans, you will see that they already have unlimited evening and weekend plans. The towers already have the ability to handle these callers without fail. The towers are not human and cannot reason as to the time of day that they are used, and it would not make any difference if the callers dialed in the daytime or at night.

Granted, there may be a slight increase in calls used during the day, but most people are at work/school anyways and do not necessarily use their cell phones or have a dire need to dramatically increase cell usage during the day anyways.

With that said, Fido will gain a huge amount of new users, unless the larger badboys match their plans (Rogers, Telus) and they most certainly will, as both are easily more capable of handling the stress on their systems. If that were the case, most would not be compelled to switch as many users do not like Fido's coverage in rural areas.

The only real advantage that fido has is the ability to replace landline phone numbers to cell phones. This will not impact businesses, as many will not remove a landline for a cell phone in their place of work, and many home users may find it awkward to be using a cell phone in place of a landline.

kenny
10-14-2003, 02:55 PM
You have to remember that when the unlimited evening and weekend plans are active, the data portion of fido is relatively quiet. During the day, alot of data users are using their network (which is shared by voice users on Fido).

silvercivicsir
10-19-2003, 12:35 AM
Good luck calling out.. with cabbies and people who are going to abuse the system..

Your going to get a Tonne of "system busy" and missed incoming calls.

Anybody remember Leap wireless in the States same kinda of deal all you can use for 40 bucks. and well in 2 months they went under.. Chapter 11

VWhooligan
10-19-2003, 03:44 PM
i dont know about you guys, but I don't wanna pay $80 a month for my cell phone. $40 is enough. I don't have a landline either.

link785
10-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
Anybody remember Leap wireless in the States same kinda of deal all you can use for 40 bucks. and well in 2 months they went under.. Chapter 11

Yeah, remember Verizon wireless? Oh, wait, they're still around. They have unlimited local calling in many states already, and they just keep growing and spreading. Fido started this in Vancouver, wait till it comes to us in Calgary, and the rest of the major Canadian cities :)