PDA

View Full Version : mccain hashbrowns

jwslam
02-18-2009, 03:11 PM
so i have a load of those hashbrown squares by mccain
and i've found that 20min on toast in the toaster oven works best
but this got me thinking

how would they turn out if i put them in a toaster toaster

just wondering if anyone's done it or why it would not be smart at all before i go through with it

buh_buh
02-18-2009, 03:37 PM
why not just try it? It'll waste about 5 minutes of your time and maybe 30 cents if it doesn't work instead of waiting 5 days for a consensus on an internet car forum.

BigDannyCool
02-18-2009, 03:39 PM
i've tried it before....works fine.

Super_Geo
02-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah that was a large part of my diet back in my poor university student days.

Had a 4-slice toaster... 2 bagels + 2 hashbrowns = breakfast for ~$1.25 :rofl:

Just be careful though... if you try taking the hasbrowns out before they get crispy it'll break apart and fall into the toaster. Also... poking around the toaster with a metal fork while trying to dig a hashbrown out probably isn't the smartest idea...

nonlinear
02-18-2009, 05:09 PM
i wonder if you'll get oil buildup on the bottom of the toaster. be sure to check that and, if so, clean it frequently so you don't start a fire.

mmm... hashbrowns....

now i'm hungry.

szw
02-18-2009, 05:10 PM
This is pretty genius..I never would have thought of this.

nonlinear
02-18-2009, 05:44 PM
if it takes 20 min in a toaster oven, i doubt your bread toaster is going to work. bread toasters turn off at a set temperature - not when the item inside is 'done.'

keep in mind that you're not just toasting the outside, but instead cooking the potatoes, which takes way more time. also, the potatoes are wet and that is a huge heat sink.

also note that toasting bread in a toaster oven takes the same amount of time as a bread toaster - so unless you can keep your bread toaster going for 20 minutes, this isn't going to work.

diamondedge
02-18-2009, 09:05 PM
LOL @ j.

Pre-thaw them overnight then stick them in the toaster, should work. If you get sick, meh.

dj_rice
02-18-2009, 09:14 PM
It'll work if you like crunchy/crisp on the outside but UN-cooked soggy potatoes on the inside hasbrowns

nonlinear
02-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
It'll work if you like crunchy/crisp on the outside but UN-cooked soggy potatoes on the inside hasbrowns

mmmmm..... but yea as diamond edge recommended, i would thaw them first :drool:

jwslam
02-19-2009, 05:27 PM
update:
put them in frozen
took 3 dark toasts
ready to eat

yea i think there's oil build up in the crumb tray... shitt...

nonlinear
02-19-2009, 06:25 PM
thanks for the update dude! about how long does it take (and do you have to let the toaster cool down inbetween toasts)?

as for the oil in the crumb tray, just make a foil liner that you can replace every so often. just don't let it build up so that your toaster starts on fire! when i was a kid one of us kids got something stuck in the toaster and it started a fire and buuned the cabinet above it, so my parents ended up having to replace all the cabinets in the kitchen LOL

dj_rice
02-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Another thing to try is microwave them for 1-2 mins essentially cooking them a bit and then do the toaster thing :dunno:

nonlinear
02-19-2009, 07:05 PM
^^great idea. that way you can avoid a lot of the oil drippings, and may only need a single toast

jwslam
02-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
thanks for the update dude! about how long does it take (and do you have to let the toaster cool down inbetween toasts)?

umm
i was running up and down stairs haha
so yea. it popped before i rmb and then i put it in again
so i let it cool, don't know if it's necessary though.

i don't think i'd microwave it first just cuz then it gets kinda soggy and i don't think i have the skill to put it into the toaster that way.
maybe microwave then toaster oven? :dunno:

Boat
02-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Hmm, I know whats going on my grocery list!!

revelations
02-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Damn , sounds like these things will be hard to find since you guys are eating them all!

Are they at least semi-healthy (as far as McCain goes) ?

Boat
02-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Damn , sounds like these things will be hard to find since you guys are eating them all!

Are they at least semi-healthy (as far as McCain goes) ?

Non Hydrogenated Cooking Oil is as good as it gets.

jwslam
02-24-2009, 02:02 AM
update:
my brother bought frozen breaded chicken cutlets (so basically giant nuggets) from superstore
3 dark toasts from frozen to ready to be eaten in my tortilla

szw
02-24-2009, 08:08 AM
I think a Foreman-grill type would be better for all of these applications, to be honest. You can just set and forget.

nonlinear
02-24-2009, 09:48 AM
what about this?

http://www.ededition.com/blogpics/hotdogtoaster.jpg

jwslam
02-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by szw
I think a Foreman-grill type would be better for all of these applications, to be honest. You can just set and forget.
set and forget is Ronco rotisserie

guessboi
02-24-2009, 08:58 PM
funny that just this weekend, I bought my 1st bag of mccain hashbrowns at walmart and this thread comes up. haha :rofl: