PDA

View Full Version : N.B. parents outraged by race-based Grade 4 assignment

D'z Nutz
02-18-2009, 04:04 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/02/18/nb-homework-project.html?ref=rss

A southeastern New Brunswick mother is outraged after her 10-year-old daughter was given a government-approved school assignment she feels is better suited for "concentration camp employees."

Jessie Lomax's daughter, Feven, whom she adopted from Ethiopia a year and a half ago, came home recently upset by the social studies project.

The assignment for the Grade 4 students at École Mont-Carmel in Ste-Marie-de-Kent was based on the notion that the planet was about to explode.

The students had three spaces in a rocket ship and they had to decide whom to save among an Acadian francophone, a Chinese person, a black African, an English person and an aboriginal person. The assignment also included images representing each of the different ethnic groups that they could choose to save.

Lomax said her daughter felt troubled by this assignment.

"She definitely found it was upsetting. She felt it was wrong, she didn't understand it," she said.

"It's also terrifying for her. She's the only child of any other racial or ethnic group in that class. To then be walked through this exercise with limited understanding, to her it's terrifying.

"It's as though she is set in an environment where this is a possibility in Canada."
Unhappy with school's response

Feven has a sister named Halina who is in Grade 3 at the same school.

Lomax's mother, Laura Maillet, has a four-year-old daughter who was also adopted from Ethiopia.

Lomax and Maillet complained to the school principal and the teacher. But they said the school's response was unacceptable.

"They seem to refuse to acknowledge it is inappropriate to suggest that it's the right way to handle racism or any of those issues in a class environment," she said.

"To me it looks like training for concentration camp employees. It's disgusting. And we're going to go further with it, obviously."
Assignment part of provincial curriculum

Bernice Ryan, the school's principal, said she has listened to Lomax's concerns, but feels the exercise is a good one, as it is intended to show the students how to be respectful to all groups.

"Children would say, 'Well, we don't want to make any decision so we kept everyone here on the planet.' Or some of the students would say, 'Well, we've chosen to keep the three main ethnical groups in our community, which is English, French and Amerindian, because of being able to communicate,'" she said.

Ryan said the exercise was prepared by the Department of Education and is part of the curriculum. The principal said she doesn't believe the exercise is out of date, but she has passed concerns on to the district office.

Lomax has complained to the department but hasn't had any response so far.

Maillet said the school assignment is asking kids to make a life-or-death decision based only on language and ethnicity.

"Then the exercise goes on with ludicrous questions like, 'Was it a difficult decision and how do you think the other people would feel?'" she said.

Haha, shit if I was given an assignment like this now, I'd get in so much trouble for all the derogatory comments I'd come up with:

I would choose the Chinese person, because his or her superior math skills would come in handy when calculating the correct trajectory to avoid any potential asteroid fields. Also, he or she could make a knock off of the original rocket ship, though it would be of lesser quality and fall apart in the water.

Gainsbarre
02-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Wow, yeah that'll teach the children lots :rolleyes: . Stupid assignment and downright racist because it provides absolutely NOTHING for the student to differentiate between the people besides their race.

The poor child who filled in the copy of the assignment that's been scanned into the article writes that the decision to save him/herself (the roleplaying assumes that the student is an acadian francophone) along with the aboriginal and the black African was difficult because "there are many ethnic groups".

szw
02-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
Wow, yeah that'll teach the children lots :rolleyes: . Stupid assignment and downright racist because it provides absolutely NOTHING for the student to differentiate between the people besides their race.

The point is to get the students to come to this conclusion by themselves.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Haha, shit if I was given an assignment like this now, I'd get in so much trouble for all the derogatory comments I'd come up with:

I would choose the Chinese person, because his or her superior math skills would come in handy when calculating the correct trajectory to avoid any potential asteroid fields. Also, he or she could make a knock off of the original rocket ship, though it would be of lesser quality and fall apart in the water.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gainsbarre
02-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by szw

The point is to get the students to come to this conclusion by themselves.

Doesn't seem to have worked here... the example provided shows that the student thought that they had to choose among the races, which is what made the decision difficult for him/her.

Hakkola
02-18-2009, 04:23 PM
I was going to come in here and make comments about how people are pussies and how we shouldn't be so p.c etc. but this is pretty fucked up.

hampstor
02-18-2009, 04:25 PM
The assignment for the Grade 4 students at École Mont-Carmel in Ste-Marie-de-Kent was based on the notion that the planet was about to explode.

The students had three spaces in a rocket ship and they had to decide whom to save among an Acadian francophone, a Chinese person, a black African, an English person and an aboriginal person

Choosing based on language and religion only? I hope the exercise was to teach kids that choosing based on those 2 factors alone is a bit short sighted... but there are definately better ways to do this.

TKRIS
02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I was going to come in here and make comments about how people are pussies and how we shouldn't be so p.c etc. but this is pretty fucked up.
Yeah, but it's got potential to be hilarious.

If you can break the rules and refuse to choose based on race, does that mean that just taking 3 whites is also an option?

urban.one
02-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Wow. Im scared for the future of Canada if this is what kids are getting in school.

szw
02-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

Doesn't seem to have worked here... the example provided shows that the student thought that they had to choose among the races, which is what made the decision difficult for him/her.

I disagree. Just because the student didn't get the 'right' answer doesn't mean the lesson isn't learned in the end in discussion. I don't see what the big deal is.

edit: as long as its discussed properly after the exercise and not just "ok next chapter".

EK 2.0
02-18-2009, 04:36 PM

I had the same idea...until I read the link...haha...

JfuckinC
02-18-2009, 04:37 PM

Same!
I was gunna make fun of someone here, but that is pretty fucked haha...

Wildcat
02-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Hahaha, that assignment is hilarious. I'd pack that rocket full of aboriginals and fly that fucker into the sun so the rest of us could work on saving the planet. :rofl:

mazdavirgin
02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
/shrug

How is this any more offensive than asking people difficult ethical questions such as would you kill one innocent man to save ten? How about killing two innocents to save four? Ad nauseam... The point of the exercise is pretty clear it is to teach the kids that they should not pick based on race but should try to be inclusive hence the follow up questions. The mother is a lunatic. Concentration camps? :rofl: People need to get brains.

Gainsbarre
02-18-2009, 04:43 PM
OK, maybe this is something similar to what I personally experienced way back in grade 1.

We had a lengthy vocabulary book that we would spend a few minutes on each day. There would be an illustration of something and then we were to fill in the blanks of the partially completed word beneath it.

On maybe the second or third occasion that we were to work on these books in class, the teacher got us to flip to a page near the end of the workbook (far ahead of the point that we were working on). On this page, one of the vocabulary words was "negro" and the illustration accompanying it was right out of fucking blackface. Of course, being 6 years old, I hadn't heard of the term before and had no idea what it meant (or why it was offensive).

The teacher made it EXPLICITLY clear that a term such as "negro" is racist and very wrong, and should never be used to address somebody with a dark complexion (or anybody else for that matter). I’d have to say that the few minutes that the teacher spent explaining this were some of the most important moments of my childhood.

I can only hope that that’s what the teacher had in mind when they conjured up this assignment -- to teach students not to judge or discriminate others based on their race. However, I do strongly feel that there are far better ways to teach this.

tom_9109
02-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
Hahaha, that assignment is hilarious. I'd pack that rocket full of aboriginals and fly that fucker into the sun so the rest of us could work on saving the planet. :rofl:

Ha ha, oh fuck A++ for you.

extm88
02-18-2009, 11:33 PM
im willing to bet it was a racist teacher who failed everyone who did not answer the white person.:devil:

nismodrifter
02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oh man I just about spit coffee all over my PC.

:rofl:

Supa Dexta
02-19-2009, 12:06 AM
haha.. Whats with the NB school system lately? They're trying to make the news non stop down there.

NB has to be one of thee least heard about provinces though. Even in NS, next door we never heard much from them.. :rofl: