PDA

View Full Version : MR2 Project - Good for a newbie?

zipdoa
02-18-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm looking at getting this MR2

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/251485/fs-1990-red-toyota-mr2-g-limited/

The most work i've ever done on a car is replace the injectors on my corrado vr6. I'm looking at learning how to rebuild/swap an engine, and also get a fun (cheap) summer car out of the deal, hence the MR2.

Question #1: I am 6'7. I fit inside my Corrado nice, I barely fit inside a skyline. How will I fare inside this car?

#2: I'm a newb mechanically... I have common sense and a teensy weensy bit of experience (changed injectors on my corrado). Am I gonna be in over my head trying to do a motor swap?

#3: How hard is it to learn to rebuild one of these engines? apparently the bottom end is OK, so is just rebuilding the head also gonna be a nightmare for me to learn to do properly

Any advice is welcome!!!

Thanks

- Mike

thinmyster
02-18-2009, 04:39 PM
that car needs a LOT of work. interior/exterior/engine. Looks more of parts car to me

Save yourself time and money and get one that runs and has a decent body

zipdoa
02-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
that car needs a LOT of work. interior/exterior/engine. Looks more of parts car to me

Save yourself time and money and get one that runs and has a decent body

Interior seems to be fine, exterior I can live with, I would probably end up painting it myself, engine seems to be the only thing crucial to get this thing running.

Cooked Rice
02-18-2009, 05:00 PM
i went with a friend of mine who has owned several MR2s to look at that car. and it needs a lot of work! Body is in rough shape as well. Wiring on the car is absolute mess. ECU is from a turbo celica, was converted to MAP sensor, car originally was N/A. Big ass gash in the left side rocker panel.

mr2mike
02-18-2009, 05:06 PM
The engine is no harder than any other one to rebuild.
A lot more coolant lines than what I see on front engined cars and a little bit tighter of a space to work in than other cars but once you know the tricks, it's easy.

The main question is, do you have a reliable other car that you're willing to drive most of the time until you get this car running properly?

I think thinmyster has seen this car and might know some history on it. I would believe what he has to say on it.

Maybe try sourcing an engine first. There was a couple floating around a few months ago locally. With the exchange rate in the US right now, it's going to kill you on getting parts shipped up.

I have found that the MR2oc.com community is quite helpful and you can find almost anything you're after, if you just look around the net.

If you end up paying a shop to do some of the work on the engine, it could get costly.

For a first engine swap or rebuild? Why not?! If you have another reliable car to drive.

edit: Wiring can be a PITA especially once someone else has messed around with it.

Redlyne_mr2
02-18-2009, 05:07 PM
The fact that the car was an NA, has a strange wiring configuration and a rough body would be enough to deter me. I might pick it up as a parts car if it's still around in the next while.

mr2mike
02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I might pick it up as a parts car if it's still around in the next while.

Not storing at my place.... try thinmyster's... I think there's room along the side of his house. :dunno:

zipdoa
02-18-2009, 05:11 PM
What about picking up a 3SGTE MR2 turbo harness and using that? would that solve my wiring issues? Or am I missing a big step here cause it was N/A...

I'm looking to spend a lot of time learning off a project car, and end up with something fun by summertime.

Redlyne_mr2
02-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Not storing at my place.... try thinmyster's... I think there's room along the side of his house. :dunno:
hahah...the reason I have to wait is because I don't take posession of my new place until April 4th, I'll finally have my own garage but until then nowhere to store that thing.

thinmyster
02-18-2009, 05:18 PM

Hahah I was going to say ill go halfs with you redlyne but it has to stay at your place.

I could use some parts off it but thats it. I already tried convincing mike to buy it but hes too cheap.

**For the record i have not seen this car in person.

mr2mike
02-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
What about picking up a 3SGTE MR2 turbo harness and using that? would that solve my wiring issues? Or am I missing a big step here cause it was N/A...

I'm looking to spend a lot of time learning off a project car, and end up with something fun by summertime.

Not knowing what the guy did, you could go and get a new ECU, Engine harness and body harness.

But in reality, I could have picked up a N/A in the states for $1500 in way better shape. I just would consider looking around. No point in doing all this work on a car that is rusting or has body damage. I've done a few swaps and not once have I damaged the paint like this guy had. No offence to him but if you're not taking care like that, then no wonder the engine's failed. I think it's pretty hard to blow two of those cylinders. Normally it is just the one unless you do something really dumb.

It took me about a year to find the MR2 I wanted. If you're not picky on LHD or RHD, they're even more common.

Check out the sticky section on this board and do some reading on how to repair these and then think about if you want to take this on. As well, do you have all the proper tools? Depending what you have that could run you from $20 for a new socket here and there to $1000's for engine pullers, socket sets and proper extensions. If you half ass it, you just end up stripping and breaking bolts.

zipdoa
02-18-2009, 05:32 PM

Not knowing what the guy did, you could go and get a new ECU, Engine harness and body harness.

But in reality, I could have picked up a N/A in the states for $1500 in way better shape. I just would consider looking around. No point in doing all this work on a car that is rusting or has body damage. I've done a few swaps and not once have I damaged the paint like this guy had. No offence to him but if you're not taking care like that, then no wonder the engine's failed. I think it's pretty hard to blow two of those cylinders. Normally it is just the one unless you do something really dumb.

It took me about a year to find the MR2 I wanted. If you're not picky on LHD or RHD, they're even more common.

Check out the sticky section on this board and do some reading on how to repair these and then think about if you want to take this on. As well, do you have all the proper tools? Depending what you have that could run you from $20 for a new socket here and there to $1000's for engine pullers, socket sets and proper extensions. If you half ass it, you just end up stripping and breaking bolts.

Got a mastercraft 392-peice tool set from a pawnshop for $250 =) BNIB.

Engine hoist I can borrow from a friend.

thinmyster
02-18-2009, 07:15 PM
bottom line. This will never be a nice mr2 unless you put 5-10K into it (and that would be just getting it back to stock condition).

If you have a place to store it and lots of time and money go for it. I was thinking of using it for parts and leaving the shell on ek9max's front lawn

Redlyne_mr2
02-18-2009, 07:17 PM
bottom line. This will never be a nice mr2 unless you put 5-10K into it (and that would be just getting it back to stock condition).

If you have a place to store it and lots of time and money go for it. I was thinking of using it for parts and leaving the shell on ek9max's front lawn
That's a good idea.. we'll do that when he peaces out to Mexico for his wedding.

Redlyne_jr
02-18-2009, 09:24 PM
i have a Fairly mint RHD 1993 for sale if ur interested... subtle mods haha:D

thinmyster
02-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by ~Porsche~
i have a Fairly mint RHD 1993 for sale if ur interested... subtle mods haha:D

For 600$? dibs!

Looks like the other car sold. Wonder who bought it?

Redlyne_jr
02-18-2009, 10:06 PM

For 600$? dibs!

Looks like the other car sold. Wonder who bought it?

Their is a Rolling shell sitting on Max's front lawn as we speak;)

thinmyster
02-18-2009, 10:12 PM
haha did you seriously buy it? I might need to holla at you for a part or two. Assuming your parting it.

Redlyne_jr
02-18-2009, 11:08 PM
haha did you seriously buy it? I might need to holla at you for a part or two. Assuming your parting it.

haha nah i hardly have enough room for all my running cars lol.. last thing i need is a rolling shell haha

5fivespeed
02-18-2009, 11:10 PM
I would do it, but I also rebuilt the Corolla and in 5 years plan to do it again. Might as well give it a shot, and you'll end up with a car you absulutely love.

zipdoa
02-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Well it's sold... i'm keeping my eye out for fixer uppers, if anyone has a deal similar to this let me know.

But out of curiositys sake, would I even fit in an MR2? Are they bigger than RX7s? I've heard that a guy whose 6'3 won't even fit in an FD, so without actually sitting in an MR2 I was wondering if any taller beyonders have sat in an MR2.

Redlyne_mr2
02-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Anything over 6'3 is tight in an mr2, I have Bride seats with super low rails so that give me tons more room but with stock seats 6'3 would be it.

zipdoa
02-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Anything over 6'3 is tight in an mr2, I have Bride seats with super low rails so that give me tons more room but with stock seats 6'3 would be it.

Yeah, I was thinking that custom seats would be a must in almost any JDM vehicle for me. Maybe I should just look at an R33, because I read that they made them considerably bigger than the R32.

Redlyne_mr2
02-19-2009, 12:11 PM
r33 or Supra. :)

zipdoa
02-19-2009, 12:58 PM
supra = $23 000 for a twin turbo 5M. what a rip off.

if the R33 GT-R is priced the same as R32 gt-rs, then i might be interested. I rofl at anyone who paid $20K plus for their rhd supra.

mr2mike
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2208/1803160516_270f6dbd35.jpg

If Jeremy Clarkson can fit in this, you can squish into an MR2.

zipdoa
02-19-2009, 01:30 PM
it's not head room that I have issues with, it's knee room. my knee doesn't fit between the steering wheel and door on an R32 skyline. Some cars I cant even get my legs under the steering wheel.