PDA

View Full Version : Dealer joyrides customers wrx!!! Camera footage

tomt64
02-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Scruit

My car was in the bodyshop after a minor fender bender. You may or may not remember, but my car has a dashcam. During the week they had it:

- Two of the techs driving it across the parking lot discussed "Would you rock this car? Do you wanna rock it?" "What if this camera is running?" "Oh. We're just joking!" - Two other techs drove it across the lot (were supposed to move it 20', but took the long way - around the building) The driver mentioned that the clutch was like a racing clutch, then he floored up to redline in first through the parking lot. Then he said words to the effect of; "I'm sorry, I'm going to have to do this..." and from what I could make out of the conversation he was planning to dump the clutch around the corner to get an all wheel peel. As he came around the corner he backed off for an oncoming car, pulled up alongside this car and spoke with the driver (the boss?), and as they drove away again the driver talked about it being a close call. Then they drove thought he lot again at WOT and talked about the turbo having no BOV. He proved this by revving it to redline a couple times in the parking space. The passenger joked about how funny it would be if the camera was on. Driver didn't think it would be funny. (I agree with the driver - not funny)

- Bodyshop manager accidentally backed the car into a pile of empty boxes someone had stacked in the doorway. No damage = no harm/no foul.

- Same two techs took it out onto the road for a 3 mile drive. I know that the alignment was checked as part of the repair work (The accident damaged the wheel) so this *may* be the after-alignment road test. Having said that, the driver floored it up to redline in first AND second as soon as he got onto the road. At that point I stopped watching the video and started burning it to a DVD so I can take it to the dealership's General Manager. It was more important that I go through the process of preserving the evidence than watching it immediately. Kinda like putting up police tape around a crime scene.

So, I still have to watch the rest of this 'road test' (Top Gear style, apparently) and then check another two car journeys listed in the DVR.

Funny thing is, this WOT 'road test' (with the two giggling prepubescent techs thrashing $18k of my hard-earned money around the streets) happened at about lunchtime today. When I arrived at the bodyshop at 5pm to pick the car up they said it was "out on the road test from the alignment". The car only did 3 miles while in their custody so it's not like they were driving around for 5 hours. I wonder if they had the alignment tech do the road test at 5pm. If so, what legitimate reason did Beavis and Butt-Face have to even be out on the road, never mind burning up my clutch?

When I got the car home (and I drive like my grandad) my clutch REEKED. I suspect the rest of this road test (when I get to watch it) will be quite interesting. I also noted that when I arrived the camera mount in the front of the car had broken loose from the window (GPS suction cup) and been remounted in the wrong place. I hope they didn't do anything extreme enough to much the camera loose.... :-O

(*Side question to dealer techs: Is it normal to discuss such things as; "Do you wanna rock it?" when you would never, ever actually do something like that? Why would they say that if it's something they would never actually do? Example: I would never mug an old granny - and therefore would never have reason to say to my friend; "Hey, there's an old granny... Want to mug her?")

Forum link: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106147

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfwfSzbr5Ac

Ooh dear, I wouldnt like to be one of those chaps on camera. :rofl:

If repost, slap me!

AE92_TreunoSC
02-18-2009, 10:35 PM
its no secret that young techs drive the shit out of customers cars, you cant really avoid it, unless you go to a smaller place with an owner you can trust.

psycoticclown
02-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Saw this thread a few days ago.

And FYI, that cars a LGT:)

tomt64
02-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Pff I copied off another site, yeah but thanks for correcting my error. :)

Xamim
02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Rage should get one of those cams.

em2ab
02-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Exactly why I have a dash cam in my car with speed overlay and GPS tracking.

20incheyes
02-18-2009, 11:47 PM
When I use to work at a dealer you would see an occasional young asshole who would disrespect your car, but overall most shop employees really don't care what they're driving after a few years on the job.

When I co-owned a high end bodyshop in the city there were times when I had 5 different highend Porsches, a few M BMWs, and always a Ferrari or two. I never went out for a joyride, I did hit the gas fairly well on cars (After good 1 minute warm-up and a few kms on the road) that had $10K+ in damage to make sure it feels right before a customer picks it up. Sometimes I would even drive it for 20kms on roads with various speed limits

If your car is seriously tuned I would reco a dash cam but if it's just another _________, then invest in a dash cam for a variety of other reasons. One day there was a 997 Turbo, CGT, and F550 outside my office window and they waited patiently to be picked up :(

Lastly on tight lots a small touch here and there is far more common so do take a look at your bumpers before you leave the lot. By far more common we probably had 2-3 a year while over 1,000 cars went thru our shop.

Canmorite
02-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Fuck, that is pure ownage. :rofl:

nj2Type-S
02-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by em2ab

how much did that cost ya?

Destinova403
02-19-2009, 12:10 AM
i take a pic of my odo before i drop off my car... not that anyone would joyride a 7 year old honda or anything.

chkolny541
02-19-2009, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403
i take a pic of my odo before i drop off my car... not that anyone would joyride a 7 year old honda or anything.

not in the current condition that ol bitch is in

chkolny541
02-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S

he does it all himself, i know him personally and he is a genius with computers:thumbsup:

adidas
02-19-2009, 02:41 AM

sorry dude but its just a civic. anyone that is gonna joyride your car mind as well go to the honda dealer and do it for free without havin the fear of getting fired!

funkedelic2
02-19-2009, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Fuck, that is pure ownage. :rofl:

I love the end of that video. I can imagine this shit happens all over the place. I use to work at Ford and ill admit i use to fucked around with a Mustang or two, but they were brand new cars which had no owners yet.

scat19
02-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

I love the end of that video. I can imagine this shit happens all over the place. I use to work at Ford and ill admit i use to fucked around with a Mustang or two, but they were brand new cars which had no owners yet.

Not the point. It's not yours, and you are screwing around with a brand new car that needs to babied for the first few K's

Jason Lange
02-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

That is worse than the posted situation because the engine needs to be broken in properly.

zipdoa
02-19-2009, 10:41 AM
I hope none of you BMW owners bring your nice bimmers to the gallery in crowfoot ;)

Tik-Tok
02-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Jason Lange

That is worse than the posted situation because the engine needs to be broken in properly.

Although I do agree with the engine break in.... at the same time, people who buy cars off the lot are getting a deal, and know (or should know, unless they are morons), that these cars have been test driven, and if it's a fast car, they will have been tested in that fashion.

If you want a BRAND new spanking car... pony up the extra money to have one ordered, and specify that you want to be there when it's offloaded onto the dealership lot.

HiTempguy1
02-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
If you want a BRAND new spanking car... pony up the extra money to have one ordered, and specify that you want to be there when it's offloaded onto the dealership lot.

You can do that? Noted! (not that it will help me for the next year).

Edit-
The last part about the unloading is what I was referring to.

I could never bring myself to bag on another person's car like I bag on mine unless I had permission, I knew I wasn't hurting it (full temp), and I still couldn't do it even then.

em2ab
02-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
Software was free, I wrote it myself and the GPS receiver was $60 from Ebay. The most expensive part was the computer that runs everything but I already had that as my media system.

Originally posted by adidas
sorry dude but its just a civic. anyone that is gonna joyride your car mind as well go to the honda dealer and do it for free without havin the fear of getting fired!
And it's mine, regardless of what it is.

Chester
02-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by scat19

Not the point. It's not yours, and you are screwing around with a brand new car that needs to babied for the first few K's

haha you have no idea how bad some brand new bimmers are bagged on.

A good buddy of mine worked at Calgary BMW, and those cars got BAGGED. Brand new or not.

scat19
02-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Well with rage's turbo'd M, after that fiasco being recorded on GPS and being witnessed etc... I don't doubt it.

I know, that's why I never took my car to any dealers after it was modded in anyway. Before it was just a stock 323i, boooring.

rumeo
02-19-2009, 11:17 AM
douches like this need to be fired and i hope they did

01RedDX
02-19-2009, 11:17 AM

ShermanEF9
02-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I know that Glenmore Audi is notorious for doing shit like this... one of my friends whose a tech talks about driving customer cars like a moron all the time. just as a heads up to all you audi owners

Cody D
02-19-2009, 09:04 PM
With an aftermarket ECU like AEM, or even a piggy back couldn't you set the car to not go over 2000rpm and set a password on the system? That's what I was thinking of doing with my next car. But I'm super paranoid.

ercchry
02-19-2009, 09:07 PM
even easier, hidden bee-r rev limiter secondary limit switch, it is a feature for a launch control but could be used for the same thing

RickDaTuner
02-19-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Jason Lange

Sorry Guys but the Modern automobile engine has such tight engine build tolerances that engine break in periods happen with in the first 5 minutes of the car being driven under load. Especially FORD models.

If anything driving a brand new car very hard in the first 30kms will help to prlong its engine life, as it allows brand new parts to wear in the most effective way possible.

Older generation cars needed this to be done in order to allow all the sloppy tolerances a chance to mate with another sloppy tolerance part.

Mibz
02-19-2009, 09:38 PM
I think both the owner and the first driver are too old to realize what "Would you rock this car?" actually meant in context :P

For those of you in your 50s, he meant "Would you own this car?".

RickDaTuner
02-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I think both the owner and the first driver are too old to realize what "Would you rock this car?" actually meant in context :P

For those of you in your 50s, he meant "Would you own this car?".

American culture is vastly different from Canadian, along with that is the USe of idioms.
There are many lingual sentences that are foreign to us Canadians but common to the every day american "Rock It" in this case was being used to otherwise state the deliberate abuse of a vehicle.

em2ab
02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

Sorry Guys but the Modern automobile engine has such tight engine build tolerances that engine break in periods happen with in the first 5 minutes of the car being driven under load. Especially FORD models.

If anything driving a brand new car very hard in the first 30kms will help to prlong its engine life, as it allows brand new parts to wear in the most effective way possible.

Older generation cars needed this to be done in order to allow all the sloppy tolerances a chance to mate with another sloppy tolerance part.
After seeing Paulie Teutel lock up a motorcycle after cranking it on a dyno I'll stick with my easy break in.

RickDaTuner
02-19-2009, 10:11 PM

After seeing Paulie Teutel lock up a motorcycle after cranking it on a dyno I'll stick with my easy break in.

The engine on that "motorcycle" was custom Built, we are talking factory built unmodified cars here.
Any engine work done through aftermarket companies will never come close to OEM manufacturing, unless you are talking Cossworth and the likes

Mibz
02-19-2009, 10:14 PM

American culture is vastly different from Canadian, along with that is the USe of idioms.
There are many lingual sentences that are foreign to us Canadians but common to the every day american "Rock It" in this case was being used to otherwise state the deliberate abuse of a vehicle. I disagree. Listen again to what the passenger is saying. He's saying that he would drive one of these. In fact, when the driver asks for clarification, he says "Would you drive this?". The driver misunderstood.

ragu
02-19-2009, 11:52 PM
So what happened to these guys then?

rizfarmer
02-20-2009, 12:13 AM
So what recourse do you actually have in a scenario like this where you can prove that your car was driven hard, abused, or in a fashion you don't find acceptable but there was no actual damage to the car?

I've always worried about this but what can you actually gain by pointing out that the shop bagged your ride?

962 kid
02-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by rizfarmer
So what recourse do you actually have in a scenario like this where you can prove that your car was driven hard, abused, or in a fashion you don't find acceptable but there was no actual damage to the car?

I've always worried about this but what can you actually gain by pointing out that the shop bagged your ride?

Basically nothing. You might get some guys fired, a couple free oil changes or some other sort of preferential treatment if you make a big enough stink but really there's no way to quantify any damage done.

rizfarmer
02-20-2009, 12:21 AM
btw what ended up happening in rage's experience similar to this?

couldn't find the thread

bignerd
02-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Thats funny, they are looking looking looking at that camera...

Doesn't sound like they drove it THAT hard though?

94boosted
02-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Cody D
With an aftermarket ECU like AEM, or even a piggy back couldn't you set the car to not go over 2000rpm and set a password on the system? That's what I was thinking of doing with my next car. But I'm super paranoid.

I'd imagine that you could put it on "valet mode" with a Stand Alone ECU. I know you can with the Accesport for Subaru vehicles.

msommers
02-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
even easier, hidden bee-r rev limiter secondary limit switch, it is a feature for a launch control but could be used for the same thing
The jackass techs would probably think there is something wrong with your vehicle and start replacing shit!! Funny, sad, yet true.

extm88
02-20-2009, 01:31 AM
What i would do to be the guy who owned the car going into the dealership.

Who is the head boss around here
why i am
well i think my car was driven hard by your techs
no sir, they do not abuse vehicles
would you bet your wife on it?
why yes sir, abusing vehicles is against company policy
***pull out travel dvd/tv kit and play movie

heavyD
02-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by bignerd
Thats funny, they are looking looking looking at that camera...

Doesn't sound like they drove it THAT hard though?

I think considering it's not their car they drove it innapropriately. Reving the car to redline in neutral then turning off the car right after isn't exactly something you want to be done with your car either.

They were kind of retarded as well.

scat19
02-20-2009, 08:22 AM

I think you're mistaken. This has been an age old argument, and there is no proof a hard in is better for the prolonged engine life.

Easy break in FTW.

That camera set up is pretty sweet though, he had another thread where he had pictures of the set-up and cost.

D'z Nutz
02-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Haha, they're referencing the infamous Claw in the thread now :rofl:

Welcome visitors of legacygt.com :thumbsup:

5G_celica
02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
hahah I love it... "there's no laptop to record anything".. S.M.R.T :rofl: :rofl:

n1zm0
02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 20incheyes
When I use to work at a dealer you would see an occasional young asshole who would disrespect your car, but overall most shop employees really don't care what they're driving after a few years on the job.

+1, there were always the tard apprentices/lot kids who'd take it around the block i remember, they drive the shit out of them after doing an oil change ffs, most of them drove run of the mill b16 civics (no offence to civic owners) and if a type r came in they'd jump on it like no tomorrow.

I remember after a while we stopped letting lot kids drive nsx's to the customer lot/garage after one lot kid got caught 2 blocks away joyriding it, the only people who touched it were the owner and the licensed tech who pulled the job.

The older techs/some apprentices mostly refused to touch modified cars, i did too because if the car wasnt in stock form, the owner could say anything about the condition of the car when they got it back because they were familiar with how it was built up/riced.

that camera system is cool, would be good for break-in/jacked stereo etc. as well. add real-time gps tracking and its flawless.

R154
02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
The 09 model os S-AFC has built in valet mode.

o34/EMS/Microtech/F-CON/Hydra Nemisis/BlockPORT all have valet mode.

n1zm0
02-20-2009, 05:22 PM
I think you're mistaken. This has been an age old argument, and there is no proof a hard in is better for the prolonged engine life.

Easy break in FTW.

I was just thinking, remembering the procedures on a piston powered aircraft engine after replacing a 'jug' (cylinder head) or after major overhaul, ring seating is essential to properly break in an engine.

both major manufacturers of the worlds most popular piston engines (continental and lycoming) have the same guidelines, break in is 75% power for the first 25 hours on mineral oil until oil consumption has stabilized or basically until the rings have formed a proper seal the cylinder wall.

now i know it is obviously impossible to keep power at 75% in a car but basically you run it 3/4 full power or pretty hard, no engine power offs during that time, an aircraft piston engine is made up of the same basic internals as car engines, moreso a subaru or porsche engine.

of course every manufacturer has different procedures and babying a new car/engine for the first 1000kms or so seems to be the obvious thing to do.

Just a thought :dunno:

Eken9
02-20-2009, 05:32 PM
My parents old cr-v had 389,000km on the clock before it was written off. The car was babied during break in and was never driven hard. Car had absolutely NO problems. I'm going to live by what's been proven to me.

If anyone wants to drive their brand new car hard then go ahead.

bignerd
02-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I think considering it's not their car they drove it innapropriately. Reving the car to redline in neutral then turning off the car right after isn't exactly something you want to be done with your car either.

They were kind of retarded as well.

No but as in Rage's case what is really going to come of it? Manager will say sorry... maybe someone will be fired or reprimanded. Hard to say, I'd be ticked if someone drove my car like that more than needed yes but seems like a lot of hassle and headache going back and complaining and following up on it etc...

RickDaTuner
02-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Easy break in FTW.

That camera set up is pretty sweet though, he had another thread where he had pictures of the set-up and cost.

Originally posted by n1zm0

I was just thinking, remembering the procedures on a piston powered aircraft engine after replacing a 'jug' (cylinder head) or after major overhaul, ring seating is essential to properly break in an engine.

both major manufacturers of the worlds most popular piston engines (continental and lycoming) have the same guidelines, break in is 75% power for the first 25 hours on mineral oil until oil consumption has stabilized or basically until the rings have formed a proper seal the cylinder wall.

now i know it is obviously impossible to keep power at 75% in a car but basically you run it 3/4 full power or pretty hard, no engine power offs during that time, an aircraft piston engine is made up of the same basic internals as car engines, moreso a subaru or porsche engine.

of course every manufacturer has different procedures and babying a new car/engine for the first 1000kms or so seems to be the obvious thing to do.

Just a thought :dunno:

I have first hand experience with FORD Engineers describing this in great detail. OEM manufactured pistons and cylinder block have a clearance tolerance of +/_.004".

Thats right only Ten thousands of an inch! there are usually 3-4 different sized pistons sizes for each bored out cylinder block, this is due to the slight variances that you get from each round of machining; no machine process is ever the same as the machining tool wears you get different sizes.

As I stated earlier this is for Brand New off the Factory assembly line engines, who have had the most state of the art precision milling and CNC equipment cast and machine them out, and not Johny's machine shop that services so and so type of engine using the same tool on its 10th job. For those jobs, and anything that includes an over haul rebuild, re-hone, over sized boring. Yes absolutely you require a proper break in procedure. the tolerances are not as accurate as a OEM engine is. when you order a set of new aftermarket pistons from so and so manufacture they don't give you an option for variable pistons sizes to the .001" they come in one "so called" size to match "perfectly" with your newly bored out block, its at this time that proper break in and ring seating is essential.

as for the OP some cars need a good thrashing here and there to keep them ticking properly.
As a Tech myself though I have never taken a customers car and abused it, unless the description of their concern called for harder than normal driving. I want to know where these guys found the time to drive that car during their work period, and how it was so easy for them to get the keys and rip around the lot unnoticed?

RickDaTuner
02-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Eken9
My parents old cr-v had 389,000km on the clock before it was written off. The car was babied during break in and was never driven hard. Car had absolutely NO problems. I'm going to live by what's been proven to me.

of course it going to go fore ever being babies all its life, my comments are more for engines that are intended to have a hard life. what ever way you wear an engine in the first few moments of its initial run will determine its use from then on. meaning your engine was broken in under a certain load, it continued to receive that same load all its life, so the break in wear patterns on the pistons, rings bearings, and all other load bearing surfaces mated to each other to best deal with said load, and will continue to function in unison under the same driving conditions

Sharpie
02-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Not really worth it to bag customers vehicles just for that reason

stevieo
02-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Eken9

haha we used to take that crv to school

harv91
02-21-2009, 05:25 AM
I'd rock it

methodicreign
02-21-2009, 10:37 AM
I work in a bodyshop myself, and though some people there tend to be a little harder on cars, I myself have never done anything more than required when driving a customers vehicle weather it's a bare stock civic, or a z06 vette. I would be pissed if someone did that to my car so why would i do it to someone elses car. Sounds to me like some people need to learn a little respect,
just my .02

89s1
02-21-2009, 11:14 AM
FWIW: You should break an engine in the way its going to be driven.

I broke my last motor in fairly rough, and it made unreal power on the dyno. :dunno:

88jbody
02-21-2009, 11:38 AM
you don't want to baby an engine, but then you don't want to bag on in either.

I have worked in many shops, performance, dealer and aftermarket and in the larger shops and there were ussualy 1 or 2 guys that would abuse the road test.

when you do a repair a road test is mandatory to make sure the repair is done and there are no other previously unseen problems.

where I work no matter what the repair it gets about a 2km road test, just down the road and back and up to about 60-70km/hr

unless it is there for a problem that occurs at over 70 then we have to drive 4-5kms just to get to a raod you can do 80+ safe and legaly.

the most abuse on cars I have seen took place at dealers and not smaller shops.

Q-TIP
02-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree that a car should never be driven any more than is absolutely necessary to diagnose or test its proper operation by any repair shop or dealer while it is out of the customer's care or before it has been sold. It is up to the owner of the vehicle to decide how it is broken in and how it is driven.

That being said I am a firm and fast believer of the hard break in. I have owned multiple motorcycles and autos over the years and have experimented with easy and hard break in periods. My first bike was broken in gently (Yamaha FZ6) and after its break in period I took it to the dyno to get a baseline before exhaust and power commander. It laid down 79hp to the rear wheel at 2000km. Two months later it was run over at the bank by the owner and his H1 hummer that apparently didn't have mirrors. Insurance replaced the bike but not the mods so again it was back to a fresh bike. I took delivery with 6km on the odometer and decided to do a controlled dyno break in. I ran it up and down the RPM range in 2nd and 3rd gear while loaded by the roller for the equivalent of 70km. Drained the oil, replaced the filter and fired up the dyno again. Even warm the bike put down 85 horsepower to the rear. The first result was admittedly low for an FZ however the second test was conducted on a much warmer day. The bike still runs strong with no oil consumption and every 3000km she drains out oil that I could probably resell.

To each his own, but I will continue to break them in hard.

edit: the bike currently has 102 892km on the odometer.

Generic
02-24-2009, 04:57 PM
and this is surprising because?

mustanghatr
02-24-2009, 11:50 PM
rock it lol