PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Drivers

GTSCeli
02-19-2009, 03:24 AM
I was driving home tonight and was next to someone who was clearly driving drunk as they almost hit my car as they passed me and were swerving all over the road. This isn't the first time this has happened to me and I'm curious if there is anything that I can be doing in this situation.

I'm getting really tired of seeing this. Should I be treating this as an emergency and calling 911 or is there another number I should call? Am I just wasting my time trying to inform the cops since a lot of the time it takes them several minutes to respond to calls and who knows where the drunk driver will be by then?

I'm usually one to mind my own business but when I see people like this on the roads that my family and I use I feel like I should be doing something about it.

TDFTW
02-19-2009, 03:59 AM
Always call 911.

The last drunk driver I reported going down 52nd street southbound, I got off the phone travelling across 17th avenue. The dispatcher said they were sending available units. The drunk stumbles onto 8th avenue and drives right by 7-11, however there was a cop driving in the opposite direction going into the 711 parking lot when he saw the car, flipped a uball and pulled the guys over about 3 blocks down after they realised their drunk asses were being lit up by a cop car.

Sure is gratifying watching drunks get caught, specially when they are pounding 26's back of vodka while taunting you and throwing you gang symbols while making guns with their fingers.

Out of the dozens of drunks ive called in thats the only one i've actually seen get busted.

jdmSiR
02-19-2009, 04:09 AM
I have done the same in the past, the police have incredible reaction times to intercept drunk drivers, i highly recommend doing so next time.

Supa Dexta
02-19-2009, 04:09 AM
Isn't there a special number for them.. I know there is in edm, but I have no idea what it is... Just know the radio adds, and signs.

jonnycat
02-19-2009, 09:28 AM
I got a bunch of kids nabbed in red deer. 4 of us were drinking and having a smoke on my balcony and this car comes flying into the parking lot, we watched them piss around in the lot while both rear tires were flat and they were driving on their rims. They pulled into a parking space got out and started beating on an old Suburban for whatever reason. They all hopped back in the car, and forgot to turn the wheels straight and drove into the suburban and then took off. Copper called me back to tell me he nailed the stupid bastard. We all lol'd

Clever
02-19-2009, 10:38 AM
I was one of the people that called in that drunk driver in the Green Explorer that was driving south on northbound Macleod about two years ago, I was with my wife and kids and was lucky enough to get out of his way, but the guy two cars behind me wasn't as fortunate, by the time we got through on the phone the accident already occured and the police were already on their way.

tom_9109
02-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Pit the guy and claim he hit you. Hope he is wasted.

Phil_McGraw
02-19-2009, 02:58 PM
What a coincidence last night must have been drunk driver night. I got pulled out of my car and chased around from a douche on meth driving a black 4 Runner. Cops came and got him though.

thinmyster
02-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Phil_McGraw
What a coincidence last night must have been drunk driver night. I got pulled out of my car and chased around from a douche on meth driving a black 4 Runner. Cops came and got him though.

What???? Details

kaput
02-19-2009, 03:10 PM

adidas
02-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Phil_McGraw

He pulled you out of the car? and chased you around? what?!

explain a bit better

Canucks3322
02-20-2009, 12:10 AM
I think a drunk driver out of control on the road qualifies as an emergency and warrants a 911 call no?

Kloubek
02-20-2009, 12:13 AM
I've never heard of the cops being upset about someone calling 911 to report a drunk driver.

If you see someone walking down the street, pointing a gun at passerbys, would you call? Of course.

Well, a drunk driving a 3500lb car is doing pretty much the same thing.

BlackArcher101
02-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Radio ads against drunk driving always state to call 911 if you suspect you are following a drunk driver.

In fact, if a crime is in progress, it's best to call 911 period.

signature7
02-20-2009, 04:36 AM
Certain cops tell me certain things. One time I dialed 911 after witnessing a robbery and the dispatcher said sorry the crime already happened we can't do anything about it WTF? sounded like a rookie dispatcher as I got a quick call back from someone else asking me for details I told them to forget about it.

A bum wanted to fight this older gentlemen at a bus stop in Bowness as I was at a ski shop nearby, asked if i could assist him in calling the police, so naturally I call 911 tell them there's this crazy fuck native who doesn't look like he has a lot to lose and wants to fight this older guy and now me for assisting him, dispatcher says sorry the fight hasn't occurred yet so we can't do anything.

This has nothing to do with calling 911 but I witnessed a hit and run right at the moment, and followed the suspect down a busy 16th ave, I had his plate, car make, suspects description. On the phone with police (i dialed 4032661234), finally got to the police on the other line, and they said they couldn't do anything about it since it hasn't been reported yet, they didn't bother to ask for my info or the plate or car make as I am sure the poor lady in the ford that turned on the side of the road expecting the suspect to do the same didn't get his plate.

When cops do arrive for any sort of assistance the last comments they tell me are either:

1. "next time call 403 266 1234, we automatically think it's an emergency and rush down here from god knows where, weaving in and out of traffic putting ourselves and the public at risk"
2. Sorry we were late, we were locking some bad guys in DT. Don't hesitate to call 911 next time, you have the right, and instead of waiting 3, hrs coppers will come, and we don't mind."

I always thought you could call 911 while a crime was in progress and if I saw a drunk driver swerving no less almost hitting me, I'd definitely call it in.

Also any strange behavior or shady characters, I would call in, just not 911 but 4032661234.

BTW phil i have a question. I've been approached by these White van speaker guys numerous times, exponentially so in the new year (recession?) If i have any suspicion that they are stolen, and I have their rental plate would there be a chance I could call it in and have it be worth while ( so it doesn't waste Police's valuable time)

BlackArcher101
02-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by signature7

BTW phil i have a question. I've been approached by these White van speaker guys numerous times, exponentially so in the new year (recession?) If i have any suspicion that they are stolen, and I have their rental plate would there be a chance I could call it in and have it be worth while ( so it doesn't waste Police's valuable time)

Police won't touch the white speaker vans, as there's actually no criminal law being broken. Neither the vehicle or speakers are stolen... it's just that the speakers are extremely low quality but passed as being high end. They actually do own them.

Zero102
02-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by signature7
When cops do arrive for any sort of assistance the last comments they tell me are either:

1. "next time call 403 266 1234, we automatically think it's an emergency and rush down here from god knows where, weaving in and out of traffic putting ourselves and the public at risk"
2. Sorry we were late, we were locking some bad guys in DT. Don't hesitate to call 911 next time, you have the right, and instead of waiting 3, hrs coppers will come, and we don't mind."

I always thought you could call 911 while a crime was in progress and if I saw a drunk driver swerving no less almost hitting me, I'd definitely call it in.

I hear you, I've been yelled at twice for calling 911 for drunk drivers and "wasting their time"... I hear the radio ads too, they all say to call 911 if you suspect somebody is driving drunk, but from my experience they just don't want to hear about it.

signature7
02-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

Police won't touch the white speaker vans, as there's actually no criminal law being broken. Neither the vehicle or speakers are stolen... it's just that the speakers are extremely low quality but passed as being high end. They actually do own them.

This is what I thought, the other day a friend of mine was approached by these guys, he's a bit naive and he said " why so cheap, they're stolen?" and the guys responded, "what you have a problem with that?", so i was wondering if there was anything you could do under that suspicion but i'm well aware of these low end speakers that seem to get people from time to time even trying to be sold on beyond lol.