PDA

View Full Version : PepsiCo signs deal to distribute Rockstar Energy Drink via PBG

Wildcat
02-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Press Release Source: PepsiCo

PepsiCo Signs Deal to Distribute ROCKSTAR Via Pepsi Bottlers
Thursday February 19, 7:04 am ET

New Agreement Gives Pepsi System Immediate Boost in Fast-Growing, Highly Profitable Energy Drink Category

PURCHASE, N.Y. and LAS VEGAS, Feb. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Fueling its broader beverage portfolio reinvention plans, PepsiCo today announced a multiyear distribution agreement with ROCKSTAR Energy Drink, dramatically increasing the Pepsi system's share of the fast-growing, highly profitable energy drink market. ROCKSTAR will be distributed by The Pepsi Bottling Group (PBG), PepsiAmericas, Pepsi Bottling Ventures and other independent Pepsi-Cola bottlers in most of the United States and all of Canada.

ADVERTISEMENT
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20090219/NY72799 )

While precise terms of the contract were not disclosed, PepsiCo has purchased rights to function as master distributor, offering ROCKSTAR products exclusively through its bottling system in all trade channels. ROCKSTAR will retain research-and-development, marketing and manufacturing accountabilities. ROCKSTAR significantly expands the PepsiCo portfolio of energy beverages, which also includes products marketed under the AMP, No Fear and Starbucks trademarks.

"ROCKSTAR is a major milestone in our bid to become the undisputed category leader in energy drinks," said Hugh Johnston, president of Pepsi-Cola North America Beverages. "Building on the success of AMP and other energy drinks in the Pepsi lineup, it gives our system an immediate boost in value, variety and scale. To borrow a phrase from the ROCKSTAR playbook, we're making our portfolio 'bigger, better, faster, stronger,' moving assertively to the front of the energy drink pack with our bottling partners."

PBG Chairman and CEO Eric Foss commented: "Strengthening and diversifying our brand portfolio is a strategic priority that we share with our partners at PepsiCo and the rest of the Pepsi family. ROCKSTAR is a terrific brand in an expanding beverage segment. Adding it to our portfolio, which already includes the AMP energy brand, gives us a great platform to increase our share and capitalize on future growth opportunities."

Said Russ Weiner, founder and CEO of ROCKSTAR Energy Drink: "The fact that PepsiCo and its bottlers made a substantial investment in securing the distribution rights for ROCKSTAR shows the industry their immense commitment to eventually make ROCKSTAR the No. 1 energy drink in North America. Now that the deal is done, I can honestly say that we at ROCKSTAR feel like we have a true home in the Pepsi system."

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/090219/ny72799.html?.v=1

roopi
02-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Is this big news? :dunno:

EK 2.0
02-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Even though I am a Red Bull whore...

I always thought Rockstars were a Coca-Cola Product...

98type_r
02-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by roopi
Is this big news? :dunno:

i don't see what the big deal is...

Both Coke and Pepsi are so far behind Red Bull in sales it doesn't really matter what they do.

Wildcat
02-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I dig the sugar free Redbull also. The sugar free and carb free Rockstars are awesome.

Coca-Cola had the rights to distribute Rockstar and Pepsi bottling group had the rights to distribute Monster Energy. Pepsi lost the distribution rights to Monster a few months back but in turn Coca-Cola lost the rights to distribute Rockstar.

edit: They still both produce their own lines of energy drinks as well. Coke has Full-Throttle, Pepsi has Amp'd energy. Both of which equally taste like shit.

RY213
02-19-2009, 09:21 PM
This is good for Pepsi, Rockstar > Monster

wildrice
02-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Coke owns full throttle

KeepItGully
02-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Bawls G33k B33R Rootbeer FTMFW!

theken
02-19-2009, 10:03 PM
well i work for pepsi on and off, and they lost monster to coke and picked up rockstar, they have amp, but i think red bull dominates huge in the energy drink market, and monster has outsold rockstar for a long time, either way, more shit to deliver.

RickDaTuner
02-19-2009, 10:14 PM
soo adicted to rockstar mochas