PDA

View Full Version : AMA what a joke

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
First off i just want to say i have been a member with AMA auto insurance for 4 years. I have delt with 2 claims, a theft and an accident (no fault) and they were okay at dealing with them.

Anyway, last summer i sold all my cars and decided i was sick of paying for insurance and i would simply wait until my 2 speeding tickets were off my record (not just my abstract my actual insurance record, takes 3 years). Well, now that my record is clear completely i am going to start driving again around may.

I was planning on getting some insurance quotes this week but today i got a call from AMA. The lady informed me my membership expired and i can renew it today. I told her i am not currently driving anything and that the membership is sort of pointless for me right now. Since i was already on the phone with an AMA rep. i asked if she could forward me to a insurance agent. She responded by telling me "sorry, i can't do that." i replied "What? What do you mean you can't do that? I just want to get an insurance quote since i'll be driving again soon." Her reply "Sorry, only club members can get insurance quotes over the phone. Non-club members can only get quotes online" (their online quote thing is such a pain to use and if you have a ticket it says to call them....)

I decide i might as well explain what i think about the whole situtation "That is the dumbest business move i have ever heard of. You won't give people quotes unless they pay for a membership. Those memberships are $89, what makes you think anybody in the right mind is going to just pay you $89 to see if they will save $10 compaired to other companies?" she simply said "Sorry sir, it's a club, you have to pay to get club benefits. Would you like to speak to an insurance agent anyway?", i said sure.

So i get the insurance agent on the line, she says hello blah blah blah. I explain what has already been told and she says "That is correct, we will only give a quote if you are a member." I tell her i can't believe they are still in business and explain i won't even be bothering considering getting insurance through them again when the time comes. I hung up on her and then started typing this lol.

I already know RBC and TD offers lower insurance than AMA for me and a few others but i was still curious what my new AMA rates would be. Obviously i am not entitled to that anymore unless i pay them $89.... :thumbsdow

scat19
02-19-2009, 12:48 PM
I do see your point.

What happens if the site tells you to call, and you call in, do you still have to pay the membership fee?

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 12:52 PM
according to them, yes you do have to still pay.

scat19
02-19-2009, 12:54 PM
I have an insurance broker for this type of thing, and I find that you can get similar services from other companies (Travel, Pictures, Insurance, etc), for great prices as well.

I don't see the hype with AMA :dunno:

beyondpinoy
02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
i only use AMA for their towing (since my older cars had issue, and died on me from time to time) and their movie discounts... i got a qoute from them two years ago, and their qoute was pretty high compaired to other companies... your not missing much in regards to getting a good car insurence..

szw
You sound like a huge douche on the phone.

prudzzz
I honestly think the only reason AMA exists is they advertise so much and most people just walk in and give them their money. They don't even need to sell it, they just have so many people being lazy. I know that is what happened to me. I turned 16 and just walked over their since i knew everyone used them. I thought they must be good... i paid a rediculous amount for insurance compared to other companies. I don't know why i never got around to changing companies. Probably because of the same reason i chose them in the first place, laziness lol.

urban.one
02-19-2009, 01:00 PM
You probably also wonder why you cant shop at Costco without a membership to eh?

Originally posted by prudzzz
First off i just want to say i have been a member with AMA auto insurance for 4 years. I have delt with 2 claims, a theft and an accident (no fault) and they were okay at dealing with them.

Anyway, last summer i sold all my cars and decided i was sick of paying for insurance and i would simply wait until my 2 speeding tickets were off my record (not just my abstract my actual insurance record, takes 3 years). Well, now that my record is clear completely i am going to start driving again around may.

I was planning on getting some insurance quotes this week but today i got a call from AMA. The lady informed me my membership expired and i can renew it today. I told her i am not currently driving anything and that the membership is sort of pointless for me right now. Since i was already on the phone with an AMA rep. i asked if she could forward me to a insurance agent. She responded by telling me "sorry, i can't do that." i replied "What? What do you mean you can't do that? I just want to get an insurance quote since i'll be driving again soon." Her reply "Sorry, only club members can get insurance quotes over the phone. Non-club members can only get quotes online" (their online quote thing is such a pain to use and if you have a ticket it says to call them....)

I decide i might as well explain what i think about the whole situtation "That is the dumbest business move i have ever heard of. You won't give people quotes unless they pay for a membership. Those memberships are $89, what makes you think anybody in the right mind is going to just pay you $89 to see if they will save $10 compaired to other companies?" she simply said "Sorry sir, it's a club, you have to pay to get club benefits. Would you like to speak to an insurance agent anyway?", i said sure.

So i get the insurance agent on the line, she says hello blah blah blah. I explain what has already been told and she says "That is correct, we will only give a quote if you are a member." I tell her i can't believe they are still in business and explain i won't even be bothering considering getting insurance through them again when the time comes. I hung up on her and then started typing this lol.

I already know RBC and TD offers lower insurance than AMA for me and a few others but i was still curious what my new AMA rates would be. Obviously i am not entitled to that anymore unless i pay them $89.... :thumbsdow

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by szw
You sound like a huge douche on the phone.

I never raised my voice, i never called her names, i simply asked a question and explained my thoughts on her answer. If that is acting like a douche then whatever, so be it.

szw
02-19-2009, 01:01 PM
(their online quote thing is such a pain to use and if you have a ticket it says to call them....)

Did you even try? It is very easy to use the online quote, I just got a quote in less than 2 minutes. I did claim I had a ticket and it did not ask me to call in.

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
You probably also wonder why you cant shop at Costco without a membership to eh?

Not even close to the same thing. At cost you buy a member ship and you get benefits. AMA is charges on average $150-200 per person on a monthly basis. Don't you think it is only fair to know how much you are actually going to have to pay them every month? Telling me i have to pay $89 before i even know that monthly cost is a joke.

szw
02-19-2009, 01:02 PM

I never raised my voice, i never called her names, i simply asked a question and explained my thoughts on her answer. If that is acting like a douche then whatever, so be it.

" I tell her i can't believe they are still in business and explain i won't even be bothering considering getting insurance through them again when the time comes."

"What? What do you mean you can't do that? "

Yeah, douche.

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by szw

Did you even try? It is very easy to use the online quote, I just got a quote in less than 2 minutes. I did claim I had a ticket and it did not ask me to call in.

Yes, i tried twice. It is not like it is hard to fill a form out. I got told to call a rep both times.

superflychief
02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I dont see anything wrong with what she told you. It's a club and membership has its benefits. Just like the above poster said, you have to have a costco membership to shop there, otherwise every shmuck like you would come in off the street wanting deals without paying for them. I think you're and idiot for even posting this "complaint". I'm surprised you didn't ask to speak to a manager or even the president of AMA about this subject.

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by szw

" I tell her i can't believe they are still in business and explain i won't even be bothering considering getting insurance through them again when the time comes."

"What? What do you mean you can't do that? "

Yeah, douche.

You're clearly manipulating what i am saying to sound like an aggressive tone in your head. Like i said, i was calm and collect and simply asked her and informed her. Deal with it.

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by superflychief
I dont see anything wrong with what she told you. It's a club and membership has its benefits. Just like the above poster said, you have to have a costco membership to shop there, otherwise every shmuck like you would come in off the street wanting deals without paying for them. I think you're and idiot for even posting this "complaint". I'm surprised you didn't ask to speak to a manager or even the president of AMA about this subject.

Not even close to the same as costco, i can't believe you guys think that is a good analogy. Costco is not charging me a huge monthly amount.

superflychief
02-19-2009, 01:06 PM
It's exactly the same thing. Membership gets you benefits.

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by superflychief
It's exactly the same thing. Membership gets you benefits.

Its not exactly the same thing at all.

Costco charges customers a one time membership fee that you choose to pay to get discounts on items. That fee is charged once per year.

AMA is going to charge me a large amount of money on a monthly basis. A consumer should be entitled to know how much that amount will be. Being told you have to pay the membership fee upfront before you even know the actual monthly amount is bad practice. Costco is not going to be charging me some unknown large sum of money every month.

Whats the point of a quote? It is to see if you want to pay that monthly fee or look for a cheaper rate. Telling a customer they have to pay $89 just to see what that rate is retarded.

And before someone says insurance is not expensive, it sure as hell is expensive and important when in university to get the best rate possible.

szw
02-19-2009, 01:10 PM

Not even close to the same as costco, i can't believe you guys think that is a good analogy. Costco is not charging me a huge monthly amount.

Huge monthly amount or $89 a year? which is it?

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
:burnout:

emilio
02-19-2009, 01:16 PM
I agree that the costco analogy is not appropriate, at least with costco they'll let you in the store to see prices before you buy a membership. What you guys are implying would be like them making you buy a membership before stepping in the door. That being said, I don't understand why the op posted about this exp, it doesn't seem that outrageous.

urban.one
02-19-2009, 01:19 PM
AMA charges a yearly fee and for that fee you get many benefits. One of the benefits you may want to take advantage of insurance.
I dont think you understand how AMA works. Costco isnt a perfect analogy but its close enough.

Its not exactly the same thing at all.

Costco charges customers a one time membership fee that you choose to pay to get discounts on items. That fee is charged once per year.

AMA is going to charge me a large amount of money on a monthly basis. A consumer should be entitled to know how much that amount will be. Being told you have to pay the membership fee upfront before you even know the actual monthly amount is bad practice. Costco is not going to be charging me some unknown large sum of money every month.

Whats the point of a quote? It is to see if you want to pay that monthly fee or look for a cheaper rate. Telling a customer they have to pay $89 just to see what that rate is retarded.

And before someone says insurance is not expensive, it sure as hell is expensive and important when in university to get the best rate possible.

szw
02-19-2009, 01:19 PM

You actually have to be the dumbest motherfucker i have ever met on the internet in the last 5 years. Good job on that. Go pay an insurance company $89 just to figure out how much you have to pay monthly. Then when the rate is higher than you expected come on here and complain how you had to pay $89.

I would never pay any money to get a quote. But if thats their policy to only give insurance to their members I won't get mad about it or even think its stupid, that is their policy.

You don't pay $89 to find out a quote. You pay $89 to get the other benefits of the membership. Nobody is buying a membership just to get an insurance quote.

The reason I mentioned "huge monthly amount or $89?" was because at the beginning you kept saying it was $89 (a year) to get a quote. Later you said AMA was charging you huge monthly amounts to get a quote. You don't even know WTF you are talking about.

BlackArcher101
02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Frick,

You pay Costco a YEARLY membership fee to have the priveledge to SHOP at Costco....

Now... stay with me here....

You pay AMA a YEARLY membership fee to have the priveledge to SERVICES at AMA...

They are exactly the same... Why do you keep bringing up the monthly cost of insurance as part of this.... you still spend money at Costco every month don't you?

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:21 PM
it is a little outragous if you think about it. An insurance company should be wanting to let people know about their rates so they can attract customers to use their insurance. Clearly AMA has rates that are much higher than other companies and are clearly just doing a cash grab.

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Frick,

You pay Costco a YEARLY membership fee to have the priveledge to SHOP at Costco....

Now... stay with me here....

You pay AMA a YEARLY membership fee to have the priveledge to SERVICES at AMA...

They are exactly the same... Why do you keep bringing up the cost of insurance as part of this.... you still spend money at Costco every month don't you?

What on earth makes you think getting an insurance quote is some priveledged service? Is it a priveledge to allow a private company to take hundreds of dollars from me on a monthly basis? :facepalm:

BigMass
02-19-2009, 01:22 PM
why stress over it. There are 100 insurance companies. Call elsewhere and be done with it.

BlackArcher101
02-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Clearly AMA has rates that are much higher than other companies and are clearly just doing a cash grab.

Clearly? How's it a cash grab... you still have the ability to NOT get their insurance...

This is AMA's business model... for you to expect them to be like other insurance providers is asinine.

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
why stress over it. There are 100 insurance companies. Call elsewhere and be done with it.

I was not really stressing over it. I just wanted to let a small vent out. Clearly the loyal die hard AMA fans decided to voice their opinions too.

szw
02-19-2009, 01:24 PM

What on earth makes you think getting an insurance quote is some priveledged service? Is it a priveledge to allow a private company to take hundreds of dollars from me on a monthly basis? :facepalm:

Wow you are seriously a moron.

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:24 PM

Clearly? How's it a cash grab... you still have the ability to NOT get their insurance...

This is AMA's business model... for you to expect them to be like other insurance providers is asinine.

oh my god.... do you know what a cash grab is? After i pay them $89 i no longer have my $89 and if i don't take their insurance i end up with a loss while they just took my money for nothing.

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by szw

Wow you are seriously a moron.

And you are seriously the dumbest mother fucker i have come across on the internet in the last 5 years. Enjoy paying $89 to get a simple quote.

szw
02-19-2009, 01:27 PM

oh my god.... do you know what a cash grab is? After i pay them $89 i no longer have my $89 and if i don't take their insurance i end up with a loss while they just took my money for nothing.

Holy fuck you are a moron. Nobody is going to pay $89 ONLY to get insurance quotes. The $89 is for a lot of other stuff. if you aren't interested in that, do it online (I just did it one more time with different info...under 2 minutes including 2 tickets)...or go somewhere else.

Just go to kinetix and get dozens of quotes at once. How can people be so dumb?

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Holy fuck, did you not read the first post? Glad you finally caught on why i thought AMA was retarded. That $89 was not just for the extra benefits, those were included, but apparently one of those benefits was being able to get an insurance quote. I could give a shit less about the benefits, i just wanted a quote, and that could only be given if i bought the membership according to the two ladies i talked to on the phone.

FUck.

*Edit

calgarys_finest
02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Holy fuck, did you not read the first post? Glad you finally caught on why i thought AMA was retarded. That $89 was not just for the extra benefits, those were included, but apparently one of those benefits was being able to get an insurance quote. I could give a shit less about the benefits, i just wanted a quote, and that could only be given if i bought the membership according to the two retards i talked to on the phone.

FUck.

So basically you want the benifits of being a member without being a member?

szw
02-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Holy fuck, did you not read the first post? Glad you finally caught on why i thought AMA was retarded. That $89 was not just for the extra benefits, those were included, but apparently one of those benefits was being able to get an insurance quote. I could give a shit less about the benefits, i just wanted a quote, and that could only be given if i bought the membership according to the two ladies i talked to on the phone.

FUck.

*Edit

BTW costco offers insurance and...surprise..you can't get a quote unless you are a member! If you aren't interseted in the other benefits, move on, because AMA wants you to move on also.

cisco88
02-19-2009, 01:47 PM
The OP has an opinion and it's valid. But, everyone else has valid points and in the end AMA does what it does and whether you like it or not they are't going to change.

OP, just don't do business with AMA :) .

:drama: :whocares:

xmattx8
02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I would not pay a fee to see an inssurance quote.

Enough said.

atgilchrist
02-19-2009, 02:03 PM
AMA's insurance is a service they offer to member, and members only. I don't get the issue here. if you don't wnat to be an AMA member, then you can't take advantage of their insurance services. :dunno:

I'm hardly an AMA fanboy, but if you don't like the way they do business, don't shop there.

prudzzz
02-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I just want to clear up the costco vs ama anology and then i am done posting in this thread.

A perfect anology would be this. I go to costco and start shopping. None of the items have prices on them. When i am done shopping i go to the till and ask the cashier "What are the prices on all these items, they were not labelled?" the cashier would respond "Sorry, we can't disclose that information to you, unless you pay us $89. If you decide that the prices are fair after you pay the $89 fee you can choose to buy them or you can choose to put them back and leave, the choice is yours."

Hopefully some can see that if costco was the same as AMA, that is what you would be dealing with. However, costco is simply using price discrimination and i think that is confusing some.

cloud7
02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
AMA and Costco in my mind are the same in the way that you pay for a membership which doesn't get you lower rates their products compared to its competitors.

szw
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
I just want to clear up the costco vs ama anology and then i am done posting in this thread.

A perfect anology would be this. I go to costco and start shopping. None of the items have prices on them. When i am done shopping i go to the till and ask the cashier "What are the prices on all these items, they were not labelled?" the cashier would respond "Sorry, we can't disclose that information to you, unless you pay us $89. If you decide that the prices are fair after you pay the $89 fee you can choose to buy them or you can choose to put them back and leave, the choice is yours."

Hopefully some can see that if costco was the same as AMA, that is what you would be dealing with. However, costco is simply using price discrimination and i think that is confusing some.

and you still get it wrong...

ralliart_girl
02-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by szw

and you still get it wrong...

lol...dude you can keep explaining it over and over again, but he is obviously not getting it. :banghead:

This tread is too funny.

atgilchrist
02-19-2009, 04:30 PM
So is this thread.

4doorj
02-19-2009, 04:58 PM
I love AMA!
The $89 dollar fee already paid itself off for me. I had to get my car towed which would of cost way more then that! Plus when I was shopping for insurance they were actually the cheapest that I found.
Plus just like a club you get benefits that I like.
Cheap movies, if you lock yourself out they will help you without charging you, cheap cell phone plans, cheap car rentals, etc.
I do not plan on leaving AMA.

gqmw
02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
prudzzz, you are retarded. AMA only offers service to it's members. If you are a member, they will give you a quote, it's as simple as that. You are not a member and you want a quote, obviously they have a right to not give you one. I don't understand why you can't understand this.

You pay a yearly fee to go into costco. If you don't pay that fee, you can't go inside costco. The cheaper prices on some items that they have at costco is for members only. The members have a right to those cheaper prices.

It's the same thing at AMA, if you don't pay the fee you can't use their services - whether it may be cheaper than other places or not.

Mixalot27
02-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Here is the easy way to get a quote from AMA. First call around to other insurance providers. Once you have found the best rate possible, multiply that by 2 and that's roughly what you will pay with AMA insurance.

For example if you get a quote of $1300/yr from other providers, AMA's rate will be $2600/yr

em2ab
02-19-2009, 05:41 PM
CostCo = You can see what things cost from the flyer and decide if you want to pay the membership fee.
AMA = You have to pay the fee in order to see the prices.

I understand what he's saying. :dunno:

BlackArcher101
02-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Costco has a flyer?

calgarys_finest
02-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
CostCo = You can see what things cost from the flyer and decide if you want to pay the membership fee.

go to the ama website and you can see exactly what you get.

szw
02-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Thats still not even the same. Costco's main business is selling stuff which is what you get access to with the membershp fee. AMA's main business is NOT insurance. That isn't what the membership fee is for.

If you really want to make the costco analogy...here it is..

Costco offers insurance (thru someone else). You can't get a quote for that unless you are a member. The stuff in costco's store would be equivalent of AMA's services such as towing and crap like that.

TACO.VIDAL
02-19-2009, 07:21 PM
How about DirectBuy that charges your thousands of dollars for a membership before you can see the prices?

Xtrema
02-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
How about DirectBuy that charges your thousands of dollars for a membership before you can see the prices?

I don't think the OP can handle a 3rd analogy. :D

AMA is a club that happens to offer insurance. It's not an insurance company. Can anyone handle that?

Costco analogy is valid. Since you won't know what a flat of cream corn would cost if you don't walk in and you can't walk in (legally) without a membership.

If you don't like the Club's rule, don't join.

They don't have the best rate on insurance anyway.

nich148_9
02-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Great thread! :clap:

mekeni
02-19-2009, 08:03 PM
:facepalm:

sillysod
02-19-2009, 08:14 PM
exxxxpeeeriiiiiuuuuunnnncccceeeee eeeehhhhhhhhheeeeeemmmmmmmmeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhaaa

Xtrema
02-19-2009, 08:21 PM

$89 get you unlimited maps and guidebooks for North America.

Get you member price for a lot of travel products.

Get you access to travel, insurance, registry services which all will have free/no membership fee alternatives out there.

If all you care is insurance, please deal with TD.

frozenrice
02-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by scat19
I don't see the hype with AMA :dunno:

They have a wicked jingle : "Experience aaaaaaaaaaMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMaaaaaaIIIIIIIYEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!"

rizfarmer
02-19-2009, 11:58 PM
I guess you don't understand the concept of a members only club... best to just move on with your life

ShermanEF9
02-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by beyondpinoy
i only use AMA for their towing (since my older cars had issue, and died on me from time to time) and their movie discounts... i got a qoute from them two years ago, and their qoute was pretty high compaired to other companies... your not missing much in regards to getting a good car insurence..
I tried and they refused... AMA does not have a good track record with me.

shin0bi
02-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Ama insurance is indeed a joke.

When I bought my Saturn at the tender age of 19, EVEN THOUGH I went through Driver's Ed, and EVEN THOUGH I still lived with my parents, and EVEN THOUGH I had been driving since I was 16 with no accidents or tickets, when I called them for an insurance quote (AS A MEMBER) they quoted me....

Wait for it....

SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS PER YEAR.
To insure my $14,000 Saturn SC2.

I laughed in their face, called Meloche Monnex, and now 5 years later I am happily paying less than half of that for BOTH my Saturn and my Fairlady now, with an accident and tickets under my belt.

AMA roadside assistance is great, but as far as I'm concerned, the insurance side of the company is about as out of touch with reality as James May is with women.

BlackArcher101
02-20-2009, 10:23 AM
So how much did you pay at Meloche AT THAT TIME, not 5 years later.... You'd probably also be paying less than half 5 years later if you stayed with AMA as well. Don't forget, since you got your quote, the grid system has also been put into effect.

atgilchrist
02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by shin0bi

When I bought my Saturn at the tender age of 19, EVEN THOUGH I went through Driver's Ed, and EVEN THOUGH I still lived with my parents, and EVEN THOUGH I had been driving since I was 16 with no accidents or tickets, when I called them for an insurance quote (AS A MEMBER) they quoted me....

Wait for it....

I laughed in their face, called Meloche Monnex, and now 5 years later I am happily paying less than half of that for BOTH my Saturn and my Fairlady now, with an accident and tickets under my belt.

AMA roadside assistance is great, but as far as I'm concerned, the insurance side of the company is about as out of touch with reality as James May is with women. :eek:

shin0bi
02-20-2009, 11:41 AM
So how much did you pay at Meloche AT THAT TIME, not 5 years later.... You'd probably also be paying less than half 5 years later if you stayed with AMA as well. Don't forget, since you got your quote, the grid system has also been put into effect.

Maybe I would. but honestly, there was no way I was gonna stick around and wait for prices to drop, or for the grid system to be put into effect... because the simple fact of the matter is that even if I was with AMA for just ONE year, I would have paid them literally half the purchase value of the car.

I could understand if I was an extremely high risk driver, with a long list of prior offences, and an $80,000 sports car, in addition to maybe being a non-AMA member... but none of that was the case, and there was just absolutely no reason to pay that much.

When I started up with Meloche Monnex 5 years ago it worked out to be around $3500 a year. Still a bit steep compared to what some of my friends were paying... But whatever. I'm only paying a few hundred more to insure what they call a high performance vehicle, in addition to the original car. I'm still under 25, so it's gonna go down for me a bit more in a couple years.

cisco88
02-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
exxxxpeeeriiiiiuuuuunnnncccceeeee eeeehhhhhhhhheeeeeemmmmmmmmeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhaaa

HAHAHA....

I stared at this for half a minute before I got it!

scat19
02-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

They have a wicked jingle : "Experience aaaaaaaaaaMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMaaaaaaIIIIIIIYEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!"

Lol I hate that!

tom_9109
02-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by shin0bi

Wait for it....

AMA roadside assistance is great, but as far as I'm concerned, the insurance side of the company is about as out of touch with reality as James May is with women.

Sounds like AMA did alright by wanting that much since you crashed and most likely cost the company that took you on a small fortune. :)

R154
02-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Regardless seven grand is ridiculous. Especially for a drive with 3 years.

When I got a quote from AMA for an 89 LHD 240 at 21 they quoted me 4300 No accidents, licensed since I was 16. (DID NOT DECLARE IT WAS MODIFIED)

MM gave me a quote of 1940 and declared that it was highly modified. As in shouldnt be street legal.

I was shopping around for insurance, ING and AMA were the worst.

ralliart_girl
02-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by R154
Regardless seven grand is ridiculous. Especially for a drive with 3 years.

When I got a quote from AMA for an 89 LHD 240 at 21 they quoted me 4300 No accidents, licensed since I was 16. (DID NOT DECLARE IT WAS MODIFIED)

MM gave me a quote of 1940 and declared that it was highly modified. As in shouldnt be street legal.

I was shopping around for insurance, ING and AMA were the worst.

I don't know if I believe your story. I know monnex is super picky with mods. If there is any HP upgrades, it is just a clear NO.

tom_9109
02-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl

I don't know if I believe your story. I know monnex is super picky with mods. If there is any HP upgrades, it is just a clear NO.

I was under the impression that since auto insurance in Alberta is mandatory that no company can refuse to write a policy. Rather make the rates so unattractive that the person goes elsewhere.

R154
02-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I declared that it was a non stock motor, that I had pulled it apart and put it back together.
PLPD.

I have insured 2 civics which were boosted, and an audi which was modified with them.

But I was shopping around for my 240.

I have already asked and they will give me full coverage on my 2jz 240 when it is done for 2400$

ralliart_girl
02-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109

I was under the impression that since auto insurance in Alberta is mandatory that no company can refuse to write a policy. Rather make the rates so unattractive that the person goes elsewhere.

Okay...perhaps he only had TPL...maybe that would change it.....cause if there is no comp/coll coverage then there would be less concern :dunno:

my title was adjuster, not underwriter...hehe :D

Edit: However, when I tried to get a quote on a S13, monnex said no.

tom_9109
02-20-2009, 05:21 PM

Okay...perhaps he only had TPL...maybe that would change it.....cause if there is no comp/coll coverage then there would be less concern :dunno:

And what is your title now?

R154
02-20-2009, 05:45 PM

Almost everyone I know that has an s13 has Monex as insurance. you were mistreated.

DubSport
02-24-2009, 04:35 PM
AMA is great. I have been with them for 12 years.
I have had 2 hassle-free claims. Other insurance companies would have hassled me to no end for those claims.
AMA screens its new customers so that it can protect itself and its current customers. I am glad to hear that they wont take certain idiots as new customers, because that would drive up my insurance rates.

ralliart_girl
02-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by R154

Almost everyone I know that has an s13 has Monex as insurance. you were mistreated.

no..I just don't like to lie about what has been done to the vehicle to ensure I never have coverage issues if i have a claim.

Generic
02-24-2009, 08:44 PM
you guys have no fucking concept of insurance.
In Toronto, insurance is a bitch. One speeding ticket and it will go up 25%. Accidents are double your insurance easily. There's a real industry here of people who fight tickets and accidents, dedicated lawyers for traffic accidents and incidents even. New male drivers are usually insurable 6000 bucks, hard to find cheaper then 5k. Even the agents on the phone (and i called 25 places here before I found one) told me that as a student with 3 full years of driving experience and no tickets or accidents and drivers ed and full G license, I should be driving > $2000 dollar vehicles that are cheap to repair in accidents and to insure, and they recommended Pontiac Sunflowers and Cavaliers. I couldn't believe it.
I was paying $3200 a year for my 01 Prelude without collision, no vandalism/fire/theft, and basic liability (now I'm looking for my next ride, I just sold it). My sister with one year of driving pays $3900. And these are discounted rates because my whole family is with this insurance company. Unfreaking believable. I was getting quotes for $6500 a year average for my Prelude when I started calling around, with the highest quote being $7700 which is without collision, fire/theft.

4doorj
02-24-2009, 11:16 PM
When I got my rsx type S ama was the cheapest quote I got. $380 a month. Everywhere else was around $450 a month.
I actually shopped around for quotes last year. Everywhere couldn't even come close to what I was paying. I think it's because I got alot of loyalty discounts, that what the other insurance lady was saying.

signature7
02-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Generic
you guys have no fucking concept of insurance.
In Toronto, insurance is a bitch. One speeding ticket and it will go up 25%. Accidents are double your insurance easily. There's a real industry here of people who fight tickets and accidents, dedicated lawyers for traffic accidents and incidents even. New male drivers are usually insurable 6000 bucks, hard to find cheaper then 5k. Even the agents on the phone (and i called 25 places here before I found one) told me that as a student with 3 full years of driving experience and no tickets or accidents and drivers ed and full G license, I should be driving > $2000 dollar vehicles that are cheap to repair in accidents and to insure, and they recommended Pontiac Sunflowers and Cavaliers. I couldn't believe it.
I was paying $3200 a year for my 01 Prelude without collision, no vandalism/fire/theft, and basic liability (now I'm looking for my next ride, I just sold it). My sister with one year of driving pays $3900. And these are discounted rates because my whole family is with this insurance company. Unfreaking believable. I was getting quotes for $6500 a year average for my Prelude when I started calling around, with the highest quote being $7700 which is without collision, fire/theft.

That is nuts!

Da Prince
02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
AMA wont even tow lowered cars... what a jip. The only cars that break down are the modded ones! FUCK.

canuckcarguy
02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
The only thing I don't like about ama is that they're forever preaching about increased traffic enforcement.

But the membership is a pretty good deal. I tend to use the roadside assistance every year, if not for my own vehicle than when I'm with somebody - flat tire, or locked out, or whatever. Plus the movie tickets are a bargain. And I've had them flatdeck a lowered car at least twice with no complaint.

But I don't get the OP's rage - he doesn't want to join the club, why does he care what they charge? He's convinced they're too expensive anyway, so why does he give a crap one way or another?

4doorj
02-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Da Prince
AMA wont even tow lowered cars... what a jip. The only cars that break down are the modded ones! FUCK.
I know a couple years ago when I had to get a modded car towed the guy was complaining. He said that they were looking into not bothering with lowered cars.
So is this for sure they won't tow lowered cars now?