PDA

View Full Version : outlook express keeps freaking out (beeping)

nonlinear
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM
i reformatted last weekend and did a fresh install of xp sp3. all of the updates, etc. went fine. however, occasionally in Outlook Express, this constant beeping will start up, and not stop unless I restart OE. A few times, it has asked me to compress messages (and that notice gives the same beep that i get constantly in OE). I tried to compress messages a couple of times, and it said it couldn't cause the file was in use or something. but then on the next time i was able to compress just fine.

anyhow, does anyone have any idea what the fuck is going on? is there a way to tell OE to never try to compress messages? cause i don't care about disk space.

also, i see that there is this stupid windows search thing on my computer. i'm not sure if that was causing the 'file open' error during compression.

Tik-Tok
02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't know if it helps, but sometimes when I'm typing (any program), I'll accidently hit enter and something else at the same time, and my comp starts beeping at me nonstop, I push ctrl and enter at the same time to make it stop.

nonlinear
02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
i tried this and will see if it helps:

in regedit, navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{long number}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0.

In the right hand pane find *Compact Check Count* >right click>modify>decimal>and set the value to 0, (zero). This will reset the prompt, and you won't see it again for another 100 closings.

SpireTECH
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
If your inbox becomes too large (>2GB) you will get these warnings. Best bet is to create sub-folders and move messages there. Or upgrade to Outlook, which has no such limit on the size of your mailbox.