PDA

View Full Version : Most Recognizable Sports Figure/Icon of All Time

LongCity
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Not sure if this was the right place to put this but if it needs to be moved then by all means.

As the title says, who do you guys think is the most recognizable sports figure/icon of all time is and why?

My 1 and 2 would have to be Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali. Why? Because they've crossed boundaries out of their respected fields and both are coined as G.O.A.Ts.

Tarrantula
02-19-2009, 02:15 PM
David Beckham.

Wayne Gretzky.

I wouldnt recognise Ali if he told me who he was.

LongCity
02-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Beckham would be right up there but as for Gretzky, other than the hockey world I don't think many people would know him.

calgarys_finest
02-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Tiger woods??

al-ti2d
02-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I agree with Michael Jordan.. he's the first name that popped into my mind. Beckham is a good one too, although he's nothing anymore.. lol
Some other choices would be:

Tiger Woods
Michael Schumacher
Michael Phelps and his 8 gold medals (and his weed ;))

My top 2 would be MJ and Tiger Woods. Both of them revolutionized their games.. hell, Tiger Woods pretty much IS golf

civic_stylez
02-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Depends where in the world you are... someone like Michael Schumacher who is involved in a global sport would be easily recognized by alot of people in Europe. Mike Tyson would be on my list...even people who dont watch boxing know who he is.

ZorroAMG
02-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Agassi

Shaq

LongCity
02-19-2009, 02:26 PM
But I mean generally speaking, so regardless of geography.

al-ti2d
02-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Agassi

Shaq

ah yes.. totally forgot about andre agassi
theres many great tennis players that can be on this list

i'm probably forgetting a shit load of other great players too lol

psycoticclown
02-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Schumacher
Gretzky
Tiger Woods
Michael Jordon
And Beckam

Gainsbarre
02-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I'd probably have to go with Muhammad Ali or Pele.

I don't think Wayne Gretzky would even come close -- but most famous/recognizable Canadian athlete? Absolutely.

in*10*se
02-19-2009, 02:39 PM
hockey: gretzky
tennis: federer/sampras
soccer: rhonaldino/pele/beckham
boxing: ali
golf: woods
bball: jordan
baseball: filled with roid monkies... so eff that, no one on my list.
football: tom brady

it really depends on the country and the sport...
cause i'm sure i'm missing like cricket, and crazy ass sports like that.

edit: co-sign on phelps... the guy is a fucking dope swimmer!

alloroc
02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Most recognizable world wide?
Most Americans would start throwing in baseball icons such as Yogi Berra but I dont' think most of the rest of the world cares much about baseball.

My list is this ...

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Edison (Edson) Arantes do Nascimento (Pele)
3. Diego Maradona
4. Ronaldo de Assis Moreira (Ronaldihno)
5. Tiger Woods
6. Michael Jordan
7. Oscar Delehoya
8. Marcus Grunholm
9. Lance Armstrong
10. Wayne Gretzky

Edit: many of the same names as in some of the above posts.
I think Beckam get an honorable mention he is famous but I honestly don't think his features are such that you can pick out his face in a crowd.

Thaco
02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
I'd say tiger woods, you say his name, and EVERYBODY knows who he is, even if you have no interest in golf what so ever.

EK 2.0
02-19-2009, 02:47 PM
George Foreman....

haha...

In all seriousness Number 23 Michael Jordan is the only one that I think would be global. What with his NBA Legacy, the Olympics, clothing line, endorsements....

LongCity
02-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
Most recognizable world wide?
Most Americans would start throwing in baseball icons such as Yogi Berra but I dont' think most of the rest of the world cares much about baseball.

My list is this ...

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Edison (Edson) Arantes do Nascimento (Pele)
3. Diego Maradona
4. Ronaldo de Assis Moreira (Ronaldihno)
5. Tiger Woods
6. Michael Jordan
7. Oscar Delehoya
8. Marcus Grunholm
9. Lance Armstrong
10. Wayne Gretzky

Edit: many of the same names as in some of the above posts.
I think Beckam get an honorable mention he is famous but I honestly don't think his features are such that you can pick out his face in a crowd.

Is golf popular in Europe and Asia? I didn't think it was but not sure. I'd say there's no way MJ comes after Tiger simply because kids in Asia love basketball (and soccer) and a huge concentration of people are located there. I also wouldn't have Gretzky on a top 10 list either cause then you'd have to throw in baseball players like Babe Ruth, (American) football players like Brady, Favre, Montana, Elway, etc.

Tarrantula
02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
football: tom brady

FUCKING DAN MARINO! AH HAHAHAHAHAHA

Super_Geo
02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Mike Tyson

urban.one
02-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Hulk Hogan #1

http://www.sports-photos.com/catalog/images/HulkHoganClr.tif.jpg

thinmyster
02-19-2009, 03:15 PM
OJ simpson

Wildcat
02-19-2009, 03:16 PM
No one said Fedor Emelianenko?

He may not be huge here but he's a God in Asia and Eastern Europe. He carried the torch for the Russians at the Beijing Olympics. He's a national hero over there.

I remember seeing this one picture of him shaking hands with the leader of China and his political cabinet. They were as giddy as school girls meeting their favorite boy band. I found it funny, the leader of the largest army in the world humbled by an MMA fighter.

Gainsbarre
02-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
Hulk Hogan #1

http://www.sports-photos.com/catalog/images/HulkHoganClr.tif.jpg

Hm...that's a pic from his WCW pre-Hollywood Hogan years (summer 1994 to summer 1996). I'd have to say that his popularity peaked around 1990.

Though among pro wrestlers, I'd have to say that yes, he is #1 in terms of being most recognizable globally.

Oz-
02-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Ali, Pele, Maradonna and Tiger Woods.

DonJuan
02-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Pele > Maradonna (Recognizable popularity wise not skill wise) He was the face of the ambassador of the sport until the 90's

3g4u
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by LongCity

Is golf popular in Europe and Asia? I didn't think it was but not sure. I'd say there's no way MJ comes after Tiger simply because kids in Asia love basketball (and soccer) and a huge concentration of people are located there. I also wouldn't have Gretzky on a top 10 list either cause then you'd have to throw in baseball players like Babe Ruth, (American) football players like Brady, Favre, Montana, Elway, etc.

Golf was invented in Europe so ya it's popular out there.

Gainsbarre
02-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
Pele > Maradonna (Recognizable popularity wise not skill wise) He was the face of the ambassador of the sport until the 90's

Oh yes, absolutely. Plus Pele has a FAR more favourable public image than Maradona who is also infamous for things such as the Hand of God goal, cocaine abuse, obesity, and so on

GREENBOY
02-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Ali and Pele for me.

01RedDX
02-19-2009, 04:01 PM

alloroc
02-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Remember this is most recognizable not most famous. Hockey and golf are still popular in europe, NFL football not so much. The reason I put gretzky in is the same reason I put in grunholm. They both have facial features that are easily remembered.

three.eighteen.
02-19-2009, 04:24 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/72/211919373_8d3e393412.jpg

/thread

max_boost
02-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Mike Tyson

KO

petoria
02-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Jordan
Beckham
Hogan

LongCity
02-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Remember this is most recognizable not most famous. Hockey and golf are still popular in europe, NFL football not so much. The reason I put gretzky in is the same reason I put in grunholm. They both have facial features that are easily remembered.

But they have NFL Europe...
I guess I should have clarified what I meant by recognizable. I mean it in the sense of how well known they are; know stuff about them and what not (but not explicitly). Say that you mention Michael Jordan to a person that doesn't exactly know him by face but they know of him, or they "recognize" that name.

Also, fame comes with recognition, right?

benyl
02-19-2009, 05:39 PM
If you are looking for most recognizable, you have to stop thinking about your own demographic and look older. There are a lot of old people out there that would recognize the following names:

Mark Spitz > Phelps sure, Phelps broke Mark's record, but Mark held that record for over 30 years.

Pele > Beckham. Who the fuck is beckham... he married a spice girl. Beckham is one of the greatest players, but not as recognizable as Pele. Pele = Soccer/Football for the last 30 years.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar ~= Micheal Jordan. KAJ was in a fucking Bruce Lee movie!

Jack Nicklaus / Arnold Palmer ~= Tiger Woods

LongCity
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't think Kareem is anywhere close to Money Mike regardless of era. When you think of basketball you think of Jordan; he's everywhere, his sneakers are probably the most sought after footwear as a whole, and an article of his clothing brand can probably be found in most gyms. He has commercials and endorses players (even in other sports). Movie with Bugs Bunny and all the Looney Tunes! hah

thinmyster
02-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Jack Nicklaus / Arnold Palmer ~= Tiger Woods

Not even close. Arnold Palmer looks like mine and everyone elses grandpa. no way everyone knows him!

signature7
02-19-2009, 07:47 PM
I don't know about all time. Sure, Ali, and Jordan may be up there.

Right now, or at least lately Yao Ming has been pretty recognizable being from China and the size that he is.

Weapon_R
02-19-2009, 08:04 PM
I read somewhere that Michael Jordan is the most recognizable person in the world.

Wildcat
02-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I read somewhere that Michael Jordan is the most recognizable person in the world.

I believe it. His signature dunk silhouette is known the world over. Air Jordan FTW

Hakkola
02-19-2009, 08:56 PM

But MJ had Space Jam.

I would Say Jordan, Pele, Woods and Schumacher if we're talking worldwide.

euro_racer
02-19-2009, 09:51 PM
i think jordan would top that list for sure!

....what about Rocky....i know it was a movie but it was based on a actual boxer and everyone knows "Rocky" :dunno:

cam_wmh
02-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Jordan, Becks, Agassi.
Style, Style, Style.

brucebanner
02-19-2009, 10:19 PM
MJ and Ali came to mind for me before anyone else, but I think MJ would be #1

urban.one
02-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Jordan and Ali are good guesses.

The top of the list is going to be atheletes who transcended their sport and gain fame in popular culture. Jordan and Ali fit that bill.

Heres someone else who fits that bill (even better than Hulk Hogan):

http://www.treehugger.com/arnold-schwarzenegger-body-building.jpg

project240
02-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

In all seriousness Number 23 Michael Jordan is the only one that I think would be global. What with his NBA Legacy, the Olympics, clothing line, endorsements....

QFT. Michael Jordan should easily be 1st on every list.

Gainsbarre
02-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

That's interesting -- wonder if I should start a new thread on this (who the most recognizable person in the world is), among living people. I have two names in mind (neither of which have been mentioned in this thread as they aren't athletes) but don't want to mention them just yet, as it would hijack the thread a bit... :hijack:

LongCity
02-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

That's interesting -- wonder if I should start a new thread on this (who the most recognizable person in the world is), among living people. I have two names in mind (neither of which have been mentioned in this thread as they aren't athletes) but don't want to mention them just yet, as it would hijack the thread a bit... :hijack:

I'm assuming they are political leaders. Barack and Bush?
Regardless if my guess is right or not, I still think MJ would top them.

Gainsbarre
02-20-2009, 02:19 PM

I'm assuming they are political leaders. Barack and Bush?
Regardless if my guess is right or not, I still think MJ would top them.

I was actually thinking Queen Elizabeth (queen of the commonwealth for over 50 years) and Michael Jackson (mainstay in music and culture for almost 40 years, hugely influential, and immensely popular all around the world).

People like Obama or Bush I can't really consider, given how they haven't been as famous for nearly as long.

As a side note, whenever I see the initials MJ I think of "Michael Jackson", not "Michael Jordan" (and I don't consider myself much of a fan of Michael Jackson, just somebody who appreciates his phenomenal talent). Might have to do with my greater interest in African-American music and limited interest in basketball...

Ajay
02-20-2009, 05:39 PM
1. Michael Jordan
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Mike Tyson
4. Tiger Woods
5. Derek Jeter
6. Wayne Gretzky
7. Joe Montana
8. Michael Phelps
9. Michael Shumacher
10. Roger Federer

I say Roger Federer more so than Sampras or Agassi because he's competing at a time where the talent is much better. The same can be said for Tiger as well.

These are two athletes that are the epitome of individual athletes at the top of their sports. Sure Nadal is fantastic but until he comes close to Sampras' record he's not as great as Federer.

LongCity
02-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Are you kidding with Jeter?

JAYMEZ
02-20-2009, 06:32 PM
^^ LOL i had to google Jeter

LongCity
02-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I would say that there are hardly any amount of people outside of the US that would know of Jeter and would go as far as saying that hardly anyone outside of the baseball world would know of him.

snoop101
02-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Oz-
Ali, Pele, Maradonna and Tiger Woods.

+1

PGTze
02-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Yao Ming, seriously.

Jeremiah
02-20-2009, 08:55 PM

This comment = Pure Fail.

Michael Jordan is the most recognizable sports figure ever.

B18C
02-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Jordan for sure. Even my 89 year old grandmother knows who he is and can recognize him on tv.

LongCity
02-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Oooh I forgot, Jeter is part of Team Jordan hah

bball2
02-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Tiger Woods, Muhammad Ali, and Michael Jordan would be my top 3

JordanLotoski
02-22-2009, 09:56 PM
"Ray Finkle"

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/9958/scac10b5eea9ce190934491ur5.jpg

alloroc
02-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Michael Phelps and Derek Jeter??

Sorry no one out of North America gives two shits about either of these guys.

Its kinda like me naming Gretzky when in england, NZ, or India three people on the list would be rugby or cricket players.

I think if you must have an Olympian (other than Ali) perhaps Carl Lewis?, but the rest are just faces in the crowd.

SikAssR1
02-22-2009, 10:45 PM
"The Babe"
http://blogs.pitch.com/smallmarket/babe-ruth.jpg

This guy didn't need roids, all he needed was some hot dogs and beer to hit homeruns.

cityhunter2501
02-22-2009, 11:04 PM
growing up in Europe all we talked about was soccer
so Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo.

Basketball was also fairly popular so we knew who MJ and the Chicago Bulls, Shaq were.

F1, Senna, Schumacher

Tennis, Sampras, Agassi, Martina Hingis :love:

Boxing, Ali, Tyson

I heard of the name Gretzky, but outside of the scandinavian region and North America, hockey is not popular at all.

CMW403
03-15-2009, 09:42 AM
gordie howe