PDA

View Full Version : What qualifications to becoming an automotive "Service Advisor?"

TomcoPDR
02-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Ok I make this thread with love... And I do have friends who are "service advisors" who are cool people.

However, based on experience from today's service inquiries, I'm just curious good-hearted-ly as to what education or qualifications does one need to call themselves a "Service" (serving/helping people right?) "Advisor" (knowledgable enough to advice)

So I still got my winter piece of shit beater domestic on the road, model year 2000, whatever.

Something goes wrong with it, so I dig shit up from the internet. Also for those who don't know me, I'm honestly not just a "lot boy" who fixes dents on cars. I've actually been educated in autobody and mechanics (and employeed-apprenticeship as such in past), I just don't really pay attention in class or answer enough correct questions on a paper test to call myself licensed.

Anyway.

The specific problem is ONLY a minor thingy called Flasher Relay, where when your turn signal lever is in neutral position, you can still hear clicking noise within the relay (solenoid open/close circuit F-ed up or something)

Based on reliable internet (with licensed mechanics commenting this specific problem), me obviously HEAR clicking noise from that relay AND a link to the manufacturer's bulletin, this is known issue on vehicle... It's actually not a TSB (recall), it's a thing called Speical Policy Adjustment... which extends for 10 years or 240,000km (so it's something that's probably serious, local government transportation department probably got involved making manufacturer to provide this long of coverage)

My vehicle qualifies under the terms (under 10 years from service date, under kilometeres allowances, it has symptoms outlined in manufacturer's announcment)

I called 3 service departments of this domestic vehicle... All I told them and wanted to know was, (and I'm being exactly CLEAR on this) "my vehicle is showing signs and symptoms, which from my research is a known problem addressed by the manufacturer, I would please like to find out what steps are needed for my vehicle to get this specific Speical Policy Adjustment resolved?"

One "service advisor" who stands out, Kevin you're a moron, is that his junior high school education couldn't comprehend the difference between a wannbe do-it-yourself comsumer trying to self-assess car problems... as compared to my wording of "Hey, my vehicle has a specific symptom, I have research proof on top of your computer system will probably show this issue covered by manufacturer" (and considering this SIMPLE plug-n-play nature, unlike replacing head gaskets, transmission gear replace, etc... could you please look into the possiblities of fillfuling your dealership duty for a customer that could come back to purchase other stuff in future?)

All he said was: "well, I don't use the internet, those research don't mean nothing to me"
Me: "Ok, ummmm, I've got the campaign code and the bulletin here, would you mind to please type it in your puter and check it out?"
Dumb Ass Kevin: "Well, that's only for us dealership to see"
Me: "Ok, so are you saying I'm not qualify?"
Idiot Kevin: "Well, no, what year/model? (told him)... oh well, I'm stupid, my name is Kevin, I've never heard of this recall on this vehicle"
Me: "It's NOT a recall bro, this is a specific issue which the manufacturer has a different claim policy under... ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS, if I brought my vehicle into your dealership, would I be able to get this covered, ON THIS ISSUE ALONE??? I'm not asking for anything more."
Stupid Kevin: "Well, we're going to have to run a diagnostic on it first"
Me: "Well, this is probably only a $40 dealer price part, $20 generic, $5 junk yard... this is why I'm calling first as a courtesy to save YOU time, as I don't want to be charged a 5 hour diagnostic for someone to rip the dash and wiring harness on a beater, only to allow me to warranty a $40 part"
Dink Kevin: "Well, those are the chances you need to anaylize before taking"
Me: "That's what I'm saying, I can hear this specific relay clicking, which according to this bulletin says it's covered"
Kevin: "Well, you're not a mechanic, you can't just diagnoise your own vehicle and get it warranty"
Me: "Dude, I AM an apprentice, I just want what's fair. This issue is covered, and specifically it's a minor issue where all someone has to do is come to the parking lot, turn on the ignition key and you can HEAR the freakin' relay clicking noise"
Kevin: "Well, like I said that's not for you to say, I can't have the public doing their own diagnoise (me: I'm NOT, I'm just telling you my vehicle is experiencing outlined symptoms of a service bulletin which you're not even taking the time to lookup)... hence you need to book an appointment for us to look at it"
Me: "Seriously you're not even typing in the code, how are YOU sure there's no bulletins on this issue again?" (he pulses, goes into the shop, ask for the foreman which you can hear whispers, then I hear the foreman typing into the computer which takes 3 freakin' seconds and confirms with moron Kevin... Kevin doesn't even talk to me, foreman talks on the phone nicely acknowledging my claim, and willing to let me bring my car in) That's right Kevin, you're a moron.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/CCF19022009_00000.jpg

Anyways, don't get me wrong, I've dealt with many excellent and nice service advisors or damage appraisers whom are actually apprentice mechanics or bodyman... or just professional blue collar workers willing to anaylize (give honest ADVICE) doing their best to help their (potential) customers the best ways to keep their vehicles on the road.

But for the rest like Kevin here, how did you get your job as a "service advisor"? Did you just quit your job as a contracted telemarketer for a local newspaper? If all you want to do is: (1) book appointments (2) customer just saying "something wrong with me car, I bring it in, I pay you whatever. Then why don't you guys (like Kevin) just call yourselves Appointment Secretaries? Cuz that's all you're good for Kevin. You didn't even know your shit trying to tell me that I don't know my shit, while in fact YOU'RE the one who truely don't know shit, lazy ass didn't even want to lift your fat fingers typing my requested warranty code into keyboard in front of your dumb face...

Rest assure I'm not making fun of the honest service advisors out there. (this is just like people telling the "dent guys" in my trade, that we're not real autobody repair man, which we're not... I ain't ashame of that)

But for people like Kevin, go back to telemarketing you dink. I'll just go to my favorite domestic dealership where the office girls love me there, just a little further drive.

Does this happen to import dealerships too? Or it is just a domestic thing? My service advisor friends work for import dealers and they all seem to be knowledgable and nice, or it is because they're my friends???

Should I just step up and get something classy like a BMW, better service then???

I hate automotive bureauacy :( :( :(

RickDaTuner
02-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Service advisors make their money based on how much they can book in, and get commission from the work that was performed. They try to up-sell you anything an everything.
Technicians usually hate SA because some of them think they are Car Gods with no formal training or accreditations who "tell you" what to fix rather than allowing the technician the opportunity to find the root cause of the problem.
Many dealership because of this have a policy to not allow customers to say what they want done to their cars, unless they are pre warned that what every they say may not fix the issue and could cost them more money.

Service advisors in general are shady people who are underachievers with a mild automotive background. don't get me wrong there are decent ones out there, but the majority make my blood boil.

TomcoPDR
02-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

Technicians usually hate SA because some of them think they are Car Gods

Service advisors in general are shady people who are underachievers with a mild automotive background.

Thanks, makes sense why I naturally wanted to upper cut Kevin over the phone.

HHURICANE1
02-20-2009, 12:05 AM
RickDaTuner is right. Most of the advisers are retards and know virtually nothing about cars. I have to deal with these idiots every day and most days you just want to throttle them. There are some good ones but they are getting to be few and far between. Most of the new ones they are just pulling off the street and the only training they are given is on selling services you usually don't need and keeping warranty claims to a minimum. Warranty doesn't pay as well as customer pay so the advisers and techs try to avoid it if they can.

Tik-Tok
02-20-2009, 12:16 AM
I know the feeling Tom.

When I had my mustang, I had an issue, and there was a TSB on this EXACT issue I was having. So when I brought it in to the dealer, I told the Service Advisor exactly what was happening, and that there was a TSB about it, and gave him the TSB #.

6 hours later I get a phone call from the guy, saying that they found what was wrong with my car, and there was a TSB about it.

:facepalm:

Like man, I'm the one who told YOU what it was, you seriously wasted an entire day figuring out EXACTLY what I told you when I brought it in?

Oh, as for qualifications, a friends mom is a Service Advisor at a BMW dealership, and before she started working there she probably couldn't tell the difference between a 325i, a SLK500, or a Camry.

So there you have it.

bignerd
02-20-2009, 12:27 AM
I also don't think they realize just HOW much information is available on the net, including stuff for dealership eyes only...

But I was going to answer your original qualifications with a simple "none".

TomcoPDR
02-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I know the feeling Tom.

When I had my mustang, I had an issue, and there was a TSB on this EXACT issue I was having. So when I brought it in to the dealer, I told the Service Advisor exactly what was happening, and that there was a TSB about it, and gave him the TSB #.

6 hours later I get a phone call from the guy, saying that they found what was wrong with my car, and there was a TSB about it.

:facepalm:

Like man, I'm the one who told YOU what it was, you seriously wasted an entire day figuring out EXACTLY what I told you when I brought it in?

Oh, as for qualifications, a friends mom is a Service Advisor at a BMW dealership, and before she started working there she probably couldn't tell the difference between a 325i, a SLK500, or a Camry.

So there you have it.

Originally posted by bignerd
I also don't think they realize just HOW much information is available on the net, including stuff for dealership eyes only...

But I was going to answer your original qualifications with a simple "none".

But good old Kevin said he doesn't care what's written on the internet... that most the time the internetssss are wrong. Even if they're licensed mechanics who's done the same repairs day in day out on specific models.

Yet after telling him my year/model, it only took him (a super human computer?) 0.1 second to state his professional automotive opinion informing me that HE is not aware of any warranty or recalls on those vehicles. (which later took mechanic foreman 2-5 seconds typing in the code ID to confirm that there IS a bulletin)

The system needs to change (with that whole commission shit, is that with all dealers???) :guns:

One of these years during my off season, if I'm still in the auto trade I'm gonna get myself a job as a service advisor. Maybe see what they go through before opening my mouth... Cuz I always hear them talkin' about shitty customers, etc... (I was being very clear and upfront with fuck-face Kevin though)

Kevin is probably the typical slacker who pretends to take a 30 minute shit break at 4pm before clocking out 4:30... packs up his lunch mommy made for him, calls completed repair owners at 4:15 that their cars can't be picked up till tomorrow while it's not true just so he doesn't have to stay 5 minute late updating the night shift counter girls, slaps on his Banana Republic wool jacket while making sure everyone knows he's clicking his 2-way remote starter on his 1999 Hyundai Triburon regardless of weather, but it's all good cuz he's got dual chrome tip exhaust "system"... with fully dark out 20% tint, 17" rims he proudly imported from Da States himself, gets in his ricer, goes to his bi-weekly Tae-Bo MMA class cuz he's da man, calls his boyz for some wings after... Talks about the new "whips" coming out at "his dealership"... while all his buddies want to do is relax and chill... Cheaps out on the bill (no tips, just whatever he got at cost), gangster lean in his Triburon cuz that's how he be rolling at night.

scat19
02-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Kevin is probably the typical slacker who pretends to take a 30 minute shit break at 4pm before clocking out 4:30... packs up his lunch mommy made for him, calls completed repair owners at 4:15 that their cars can't be picked up till tomorrow while it's not true just so he doesn't have to stay 5 minute late updating the night shift counter girls, slaps on his Banana Republic wool jacket while making sure everyone knows he's clicking his 2-way remote starter on his 1999 Hyundai Triburon regardless of weather, but it's all good cuz he's got dual chrome tip exhaust "system"... with fully dark out 20% tint, 17" rims he proudly imported from Da States himself, gets in his ricer, goes to his bi-weekly Tae-Bo MMA class cuz he's da man, calls his boyz for some wings after... Talks about the new "whips" coming out at "his dealership"... while all his buddies want to do is relax and chill... Cheaps out on the bill (no tips, just whatever he got at cost), gangster lean in his Triburon cuz that's how he be rolling at night.

Glad some people still have a good imagination :thumbsup:

98brg2d
02-20-2009, 11:14 AM
I took my car in for service once trying to find an issue I couldn't resolve. I told the advisor all the diagnostics I had done and I also explained very clearly that I had unplugged and left unplugged a sensor (cam position) and that they would pull a code for that sensor. I even showed him the sensor pigtail and said "I left the cam position sensor unplugged, there was no change in the behavior of the vehicle, this is not the problem."

They give me the report with the diagnosis as "Cam Position Sensor Unplugged" remedy: "plugged sensor back in". This is one of those Fruuuuuuuusssssstrated times!

Turned out it was a problem with an O2 sensor.

2002civic
02-20-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm an advisor with a University Business Degree and find the different stereotypes and BS in this thread funny.

The reason I took this job is it pays more than any oil/gas job to start with, I make 75-85K a year where as the most I was offered for any other job at a Bank or oil and gas company was 65K , how many underacheivers make that?

I also don't care about room for advancement as I will be going to law school in a year, so to say that we are underachievers etc is a big stretch, maybe at some dealers, but from where I have worked or owned a car that I took in for service they are professional, knowledgeable ppl

redblack
02-20-2009, 01:32 PM
ive had that same relay problem with my 2000 GM winter beater. I tried to get it covered under warrenty. It was such a pain in the ass i eventually purchased a new relay and fixed it myself.

78si
02-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
I'm an advisor with a University Business Degree and find the different stereotypes and BS in this thread funny.

The reason I took this job is it pays more than any oil/gas job to start with, I make 75-85K a year where as the most I was offered for any other job at a Bank or oil and gas company was 65K , how many underacheivers make that?

I also don't care about room for advancement as I will be going to law school in a year, so to say that we are underachievers etc is a big stretch, maybe at some dealers, but from where I have worked or owned a car that I took in for service they are professional, knowledgeable ppl

Where do you work?

tom_9109
02-20-2009, 04:37 PM

Would I be right thinking that you've been there less than a year since you don't know exactly what you make a year?

topmade
02-20-2009, 04:40 PM

As mention already there are lots of good SA's and lots of bad ones too. There have been good reviews of companies put on here as well, but of course more bad ones because that's when the tempers are high and people need to rant to get it off their chest.

I'll give you my experience and you tell me who's correct. We had a pathfinder still under warranty, only a few months old when the locks started to act up. We bought from Brasso, but we took it to stadium nissan because it was closer. You could not lock the car when it is started, but if the car wasn't running you could lock it. If you press lock when get in, it would lock then unlock immediately. There was no starter or anything aftermarket installed. SA said it was supposed to be like that and I was like WTF?? You're saying I can't lock the car doors when I am driving my vehicle with my two kids in the back? and he said YES!! and would charge us a fee to get it looked at.
We got fed up and took it straight to Brasso, no problems what so ever, fixed in less then a hour under warranty.

2002civic
02-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109

Would I be right thinking that you've been there less than a year since you don't know exactly what you make a year?

it is a commision based job so it is dependant on a lot of factors and bonus criteria

R154
02-20-2009, 04:58 PM
2002civic what is the story behind your user title?

2002civic
02-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by topmade

As mention already there are lots of good SA's and lots of bad ones too. There have been good reviews of companies put on here as well, but of course more bad ones because that's when the tempers are high and people need to rant to get it off their chest.

I'll give you my experience and you tell me who's correct. We had a pathfinder still under warranty, only a few months old when the locks started to act up. We bought from Brasso, but we took it to stadium nissan because it was closer. You could not lock the car when it is started, but if the car wasn't running you could lock it. If you press lock when get in, it would lock then unlock immediately. There was no starter or anything aftermarket installed. SA said it was supposed to be like that and I was like WTF?? You're saying I can't lock the car doors when I am driving my vehicle with my two kids in the back? and he said YES!! and would charge us a fee to get it looked at.
We got fed up and took it straight to Brasso, no problems what so ever, fixed in less then a hour under warranty.

I would never charge a customer a diagnosing fee for something that does not fall under warranty if we could not confirm the complaint. It shouldn't matter what dealer sold you the car, and contrary to popular belief warranty pays just as much as CP so I would rather have the manufacturer pay me than a customer.

2002civic
02-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by R154
2002civic what is the story behind your user title? I held rage's GTI hostage at my dealership when it was in until he unbanned me;)

R154
02-20-2009, 05:08 PM
You sir have big cahone's. I thought it was a joke.

Props. Shelton is a scary guy haha.

topmade
02-20-2009, 09:11 PM
I would never charge a customer a diagnosing fee for something that does not fall under warranty if we could not confirm the complaint. It shouldn't matter what dealer sold you the car, and contrary to popular belief warranty pays just as much as CP so I would rather have the manufacturer pay me than a customer.
So would agree that the SA at Stadium was a complete tard then? My problem wasn't rocket science, my wife and the customer behind me were like WTF is this guy talking about. Sure most people exaggerate when making a public post, but there are some SA's that shouldn't be doing what they do. Then again you can probably say that about every profession so it's just a matter of luck with a bit of homework that you get to deal with someone who knows what they are dealing with.

nismo_fan
02-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by topmade

So would agree that the SA at Stadium was a complete tard then? My problem wasn't rocket science, my wife and the customer behind me were like WTF is this guy talking about. Sure most people exaggerate when making a public post, but there are some SA's that shouldn't be doing what they do. Then again you can probably say that about every profession so it's just a matter of luck with a bit of homework that you get to deal with someone who knows what they are dealing with.

Do you happen to know which service advisor at stadium nissan this would be? (there's three of them)

topmade
02-20-2009, 10:10 PM
This was a while ago, can't remember his name, but I can probably point him out if I was there, that's if he hasn't left to pursue other opportunities that more suits him or got fired.

RickDaTuner
02-20-2009, 11:34 PM

It may be that you are among a small percentage of individuals who perform their job with diligence. but you have made it clearly evident that you have not been in the auto industry all that long, or seen some of the conditions that other technicians work in.
I have worked as a technician in a few different dealerships, and you may get one or two SA's that are professional and think with the interest of their colleges and the customer rather than their own personal gain.
I apologizes that you have taken a personal insult to what has been stated but the reality of it is that the issues stated here are realities and not miss conceptions.

Toms example is a clear reality of what having to deal with a problematic SA is all about.

TomcoPDR
02-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Got this fixed.

Dealt with an awesome dealership (HUGE one too), really nice friendly people, professional service advisors. Totally understood the whole situation I was trying to do, and willing to work with me... Even though they did have to charge for the dignostic/ their time, but the advisor there understood and told me UPFRONT it'll be minimal for this specific issue. (unlike Kevin probably would had sold me 10 hours convincing me a muffler bearing platinum exclusive service package; full synthetic too right? ass.)

Warranty part was $60, so even if I paid for the nice dealer's minimum shop fee, I'm still at a good stance knowing it's another part at fault. (if it was the warranty part, I didn't need to pay for anything, which was what I was shooting for)

Unfortunitely, it wasn't the warranty part that failed. :(

So I replaced the suspected part myself, this shows Kevin I know, and I am, willing to do the work myself... and also I've already suspected this part even before calling the dealerships (look at the time of Auto Value purchase and the time of original post and nice dealer report time, I already bought this part before anything else, but some manufacturer dealer tech told me there could be a possible warranty on that particular issue, but I would had replaced that part after replacing my suspected part anyways)... But it proves to Kevin I do know what I'm doing. :poosie:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/100_3010.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/100_3000.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/autovalue.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/dealer.jpg

This is what I think of you and your "service" attitude Kevin :thumbsdow
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/100_3007.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/100_3009.jpg

rm777
02-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Most SA's are morons, especially the ones at Stampede Toyota. They are one of the reasons why I learned how to work on my own car.

2002civic
02-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by rm777
Most are SA's are morons, especially the ones at Stampede Toyota. They are one of the reasons why I learned how to work in my own car.
:english:

TorqueDog
02-25-2009, 12:28 AM
LOL I'm gonna take a wild guess and say this is a GMC Jimmy you had this problem with.

Mine did the EXACTLY SAME BLOODY THING. It would randomly start clicking the signal indicator for absolutely no reason at all.

Generic
02-25-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
LOL I'm gonna take a wild guess and say this is a GMC Jimmy you had this problem with.

Mine did the EXACTLY SAME BLOODY THING. It would randomly start clicking the signal indicator for absolutely no reason at all.

hahaha a friend's 99 Jimmy did the same damn thing

canuckcarguy
02-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Okay, so you diagnosed your car based on some online information, called a dealership, and asked them to replace the part based on your mechanical knowledge and internet information. Kevin informed you that they couldn't just take your word for it, that you might not be correct, and that you might incur diagnostic and repair costs. He couldn't guarantee you what those costs might be, since he really didn't know what was the matter with your vehicle.

You eventually found a dealership that you liked, they diagnosed the problem, and found that your mechanical knowledge and internet searches hadn't, in fact, yielded the correct answer. You paid them for the correct diagnosis, which would also presumably have been the situation had you been to Kevin's dealership.

Not to be rude, but doesn't mean that the idiot Kevin got it right? If he'd been more "cooperative" with you, you'd possibly be on here bitching that you brought your vehicle into the dealership and got charged for diagnostics, even though you had expected the repair to be covered...

I mean, Kevin probably wasn't the best communicator, but it seems to me like you had an unreasonable expectation from the outset. Glad you got your vehicle fixed for a reasonable cost, but I don't think Kevin, or the other SAs that you contacted, did anything wrong.

2002civic
02-25-2009, 02:35 PM
^^^I was wondering the same thing...:drama:

QuasarCav
02-25-2009, 02:46 PM

That post was written in perfect english. What did you find wrong with it?

TorqueDog
02-25-2009, 03:57 PM
I used to be in IT, and I can completely apply this situation to some of the people I used to deal with.

There were the people that would flat out admit they have zero idea what's wrong, but this is what is happening and this is what they do to recreate the problem. This is the easiest person to deal with. Step aside, and I'll take care of the nerdy stuff.

Contrast that with the morons who thought they knew better from the get-go. Nothing was ever wrong with their machines. It was a DFO error every fucking time. But if it happened again "Oh, the computer is broken again." No, you twit, you're doing what I told you five fucking times not to do. If you do it again, I'm going to break your fingers. But no, they're the experts, the computer just isn't listening to them.

TomcoPDR is kind of leaning towards the second one (only because he got his diagnosis wrong despite completely shit-talking the Service Advisor he dealt with on the interwebs). The Service Advisor's seemingly non-existant customer service skills exacerbated the issue, but TomcoPDR didn't exactly sound like a walk in the park to deal with either.

TomcoPDR
02-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Okay, so you diagnosed your car based on some online information, called a dealership, and asked them to replace the part based on your mechanical knowledge and internet information. Kevin informed you that they couldn't just take your word for it, that you might not be correct, and that you might incur diagnostic and repair costs. He couldn't guarantee you what those costs might be, since he really didn't know what was the matter with your vehicle.

You eventually found a dealership that you liked, they diagnosed the problem, and found that your mechanical knowledge and internet searches hadn't, in fact, yielded the correct answer. You paid them for the correct diagnosis, which would also presumably have been the situation had you been to Kevin's dealership.

Not to be rude, but doesn't mean that the idiot Kevin got it right? If he'd been more "cooperative" with you, you'd possibly be on here bitching that you brought your vehicle into the dealership and got charged for diagnostics, even though you had expected the repair to be covered...

I mean, Kevin probably wasn't the best communicator, but it seems to me like you had an unreasonable expectation from the outset. Glad you got your vehicle fixed for a reasonable cost, but I don't think Kevin, or the other SAs that you contacted, did anything wrong.

Sorry, the way I've worded things, you're correct to make your comment, good points...

To clarify... I legitimiately found the issue (not "based on internet research")... I boiled down to couple potential parts/issues that could be causing such issue... electrical contacts I've tested.

I apologize, the entire post was just worded poorly on my end... In short, part#1 (which turned out to be the issue, WAS diagnosed properly by me to solve a certain car problem, see receipt time of Auto Value, and part description purchased at AutoValue to the part diagonised by dealership at a later time... but by talking with other people (be it internet or other techs who works on this particular car brand everyday), they are saying that particular problem might be caused by part#2, WHICH IS STILL COVERED under a manufacturer "speical recall" in layman's terms...

So in the unlikelyhood that it's part#2 that's failing, seeing ONLY Part#2 would still be covered under that speical recall in aspect to solving a particular issue with the vehicle... All I wanted to know would be if my vehicle falls under that coverage. (NOT A BACKYARD do-it-yourselfer, trying to get a dealership to figure out the problem, then do the work, etc...)

I never said "bring it into your shop for free"... if you read the poorly written original post, there was a dialogue of me being curious as to how many hours I'll be charged (as per Kevin saying they need to diagnose the issue) and then I said somewhere with the effect: "Ok well, but honestly do you estimate if this being 5 hours where someone will be ripping up all my dash/wirings??? or how many hours do you think you'll charge me, please let me know upfront so I can make an informed decision, seeing that buying the two parts that would most likely cause the problem cost less than 1.5 hours of dealership labour" (sorry, I know that's not exactly written, but it's the whole point of Kevin being all secretive, all I got was a "that's the chance you'll be taking")...

Not back paddling... but please seperate the issue of me mis-diagonsing an issue (which I did NOT, look at part description and time I purchased before this post, and dealer result)... as compared to me only wanting an answer as to how I can get a certain warranty part replaced. (yes, Kevin answered by you got to pay and bring it in, and with me understanding BUT only want to know how much or how LONG he's going to charge me for if I do bring it it to find out if "THIS" part#2 is covered or not, then it snowballed from there where I don't understand why he couldn't be upfront)...

Kevin's preceptive (sorry didn't word this properly before) from my impression: Would be to charge me at whatever the cost, to find out the issue of customer complain, and he was stuck on that idea.

My preceptive: I just want to know, if "this issue" will be covered by this speical recall #____... If it's not, what's the upfront minimum charge you got to charge me for me to pull my vehicle out of your shop, please? And from then on, I'll figure things out MYSELF, which I already have.

Sorry for the confusion... my fault for poor wording.

rm777
02-25-2009, 09:50 PM

See my edit. Don't be such a douchecanoe.

02-25-2009, 10:05 PM
In referring to this specific GM brand vehicle, and the issue you are laying out, hearing about a service advisor not having a clue about the problem seems to be just ridiculous.

In my line of business, I have worked on many, many of these cars, and almost all of them. (9 out of 10) either came into the shop clicking a song to me, or at somepoint after the job was finished came back to complain about the clicking...

And on almost all of the occasions where the clicking started happening after the installation took place, the customers took their vehicles to the respected dealerships and they all come back with the same answer... the dealer said it was your fault it was clicking.. it will be $500 dollars to replace, blah, blah...

So i print the service bulletin/whatever document on the internet, call the dealer, and catch them in there shady money grubbing fucking bullshit. I have called out almost every single GM dealer in this city at some point or another due to these cars and this stupid issue... as well as almost all of these issues were then handled at the dealership for very minimal cost to the customer.

After all, why should the 3rd party have to pick up the bill for one of the most common issues these cars face..and the GM dealers in this city refuse to acknowledge this hoping to make some money and commishions.

all i have to say to GM dealers in this city as well as the brand in whole (dont take this personally GM fanboys):

The dealers fucking suck, and the vehicles fucking suck..
never have liked GM's, never will.

crapstixs
03-01-2009, 06:34 PM
im a licensed tech, i mostly work out in the shop. but when im needed im upfront. lots of people are retarted, im booking a car in and i ask what kind of car is it and the person says i dont know, its green. or you get customers telling you whats wrong with there car, ive actual had people tell me your young you dont know anything. then you will get customer after customer come in and rip your face off because they got a flat tire or there car wont start. you have to put up with alot of bullshit. i agree what some one said befor that sa think they are Gods gift to man. but there are some good ones. most techs fucking hate sa including my self. it drives me retarted i go upfront and all every one in the shop treats me like a trader. end rant.
tsb's are a known problem, not a recall. you still have to pay if its a tsb.

2002civic
03-01-2009, 11:48 PM
read what I quoted and you'll see he edited it after...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by QuasarCav

That post was written in perfect english. What did you find wrong with it?