PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Road Test

jdm_eg6
02-21-2009, 10:50 PM
So I am taking my advanced road test to get off of GDL. I heard this driving test is pretty difficult, so I was wondering if any of you have taken it? If so, can you post some advice?? thanks everyone :)

SRT10Killer
02-21-2009, 10:55 PM
I was told you will get points deducted if you rev above 3 rpm (MT) Also you have to treat yield signs as stop signs

Redlyne_jr
02-21-2009, 10:56 PM
I heard it is easy..:confused: basicly they take your 115 bucks and as long as u obey the rules u pass

Ukyo8
02-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Mine was almost the same as my first test except it was an hour long?

jdm_eg6
02-21-2009, 11:00 PM
treat yield signs as stop signs? :confused:

sabad66
02-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Easy test! If you have been driving for over 6 months it should be a breeze..you don't even have to parallel park! Don't listen to the guy up there, you should never treat a yield as a stop sign or else it would just be a stop sign... Just remember to yield to the car on your right at an uncontrolled intersection, don't drive faster than the posted limit and pay attention for pedestrians. Also, always come to a full stop when turning right at a red light. Oh yeah, and practice holding your steering wheel with both hands from now until the day of your test (I know the examiner caught me a few times with only one hand on the wheel)

EM1FTW
02-21-2009, 11:04 PM
mine was easy!
no parking or anything.
just a 20 minute drive.

i cracked vtec merging onto crowchild and was like oh shit, and the tester just laughed.

all they do is take your money, as long as you dont kill anyone you will pass

Brutucus
02-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Beware of uncontrolled intersection and yeah follow the rules of the road and everything should be gravy.

dannie
02-21-2009, 11:26 PM
All road tests are done through the registries now. So, call around because the price differs from office to office. The most common things that people fail for are:

Uncontrolled intersections and not shoulder checking at them
Failure to come to a complete stop.
Running a red light... yes, believe it or not. That one happens a lot!

**oh, and the test is 45min-1hr long. So be prepared for that part too.

TorqueDog
02-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Uncontrolled intersections and not shoulder checking at them... shoulder-checking at an uncontrolled intersection? I think you've got your terminology wrong, there is no reason to shoulder check at an uncontroller intersection.

Shoulder checking is inherently unsafe anyway; you should have your mirrors set up to see your blind-spots. So a car should be entering your side-view mirror's field of view as it's leaving your rear-view's field of view, and pulling up to your driver door as it is leaving your side view mirror.

black13
02-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Biggest thing for mine was, "T" intersections in residential areas that have no stop or yield sign for any side. I got nailed in those as I thought if your going straight, you get right of way but my instructor said I was wrong and that your supposed to slow down a bit when approaching the intersection and clearly check for any other car about to turn and possibly even stop if they are too close.
It seemed like BS to me as why should I let those turning get right of way but regardless follow it strictly in the exam.

GQBalla
02-22-2009, 02:56 PM
if you can't pass this test you shouldn't be driving.

honestly easiest thing in the world.

jsut drive around for about an hour and your done.

msommers
02-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
treat yield signs as stop signs? :confused:

That is retarded, I'm sorry.

As for shoulder-checking, it's for blind spots obviously. My AMA instructor just happened to be the instructor, for the instructors so I got pretty lucky. He told me how to setup my mirrors correctly as well. Once I had done this, we figured out exactly where my blind spots were; this is why you shoulder check. If your mirrors are setup correctly, you will have blind spots. If you don't, they aren't. This was his advice.

TorqueDog
02-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by msommers
As for shoulder-checking, it's for blind spots obviously. My AMA instructor just happened to be the instructor, for the instructors so I got pretty lucky. He told me how to setup my mirrors correctly as well. Once I had done this, we figured out exactly where my blind spots were; this is why you shoulder check. If your mirrors are setup correctly, you will have blind spots. If you don't, they aren't. This was his advice. See, and this I completely disagree with. Mirrors should be positioned to remove your blindspots, not look down the side of your vehicle to act as another rear-view mirror. Any time you have to turn your head, you're taking your eyes completely off the road, and that is unsafe.

That's my advice.

msommers
02-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Fair enough. Just remember when you check your mirrors and your speed, your eyes are technically 'off the road' ;)

On the flip side, some people(like myself at first) actually move the steering wheel while shoulder checking which can be dangerous if not rectified early!

Kennyredline
02-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
... shoulder-checking at an uncontrolled intersection? I think you've got your terminology wrong, there is no reason to shoulder check at an uncontroller intersection.

Shoulder checking is inherently unsafe anyway; you should have your mirrors set up to see your blind-spots. So a car should be entering your side-view mirror's field of view as it's leaving your rear-view's field of view, and pulling up to your driver door as it is leaving your side view mirror.

It scares the shit out of me to see someone dumb enough to actually say that on a car forum.
Having your mirrors set to see your blind spots is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
As a former driving instructor, I told my students that blind-spot checking is one of the most important visual aids there is.
If you can't drive and pay enough attention to your surroundings as your driving that you can't take 1/2 a second to check your blind spot, get off the road.

Kennyredline
02-22-2009, 07:36 PM
See, and this I completely disagree with. Mirrors should be positioned to remove your blindspots, not look down the side of your vehicle to act as another rear-view mirror. Any time you have to turn your head, you're taking your eyes completely off the road, and that is unsafe.

That's my advice.

Seriously....are you saying that when I "take my eyes off the road" to look at a road sign, or a traffic light, or an emergency vehicle, that it's unsafe??? It takes the same amount of time to do these things as it does to check a blind spot.
Your mirrors will NEVER cover the entire area around your vehicle, which is why you need to check blind spots...I bet you're the kind of person that turns your entire body and looks out the rear window when you shoulder check...ya, that's unsafe...

TorqueDog
02-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
It scares the shit out of me to see someone dumb enough to actually say that on a car forum.
Having your mirrors set to see your blind spots is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
As a former driving instructor, I told my students that blind-spot checking is one of the most important visual aids there is.
If you can't drive and pay enough attention to your surroundings as your driving that you can't take 1/2 a second to check your blind spot, get off the road. My mirrors are set so as to allow me to pay closer attention to my surroundings at all times, instead of having to turn my head to see what may be beside me.

Hey, for some people, the old way is fine. But I'm a control-freak like that. I want to be able to see all my surroundings in an instant. My attention to my surroundings is why I'm a good driver.

If anyone should be getting off the road, it's these people that don't check their blind spots with their mirrors OR with shoulder-checking. But don't start telling me I'm a bad driver because my means to an end is different than yours, especially since it has no negative side effects... like having to actually turn away from the road to see what's beside you. :thumbsup:

TorqueDog
02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Seriously....are you saying that when I "take my eyes off the road" to look at a road sign, or a traffic light, or an emergency vehicle, that it's unsafe??? It takes the same amount of time to do these things as it does to check a blind spot.
Your mirrors will NEVER cover the entire area around your vehicle, which is why you need to check blind spots...I bet you're the kind of person that turns your entire body and looks out the rear window when you shoulder check...ya, that's unsafe... lol. Oh boy.

*ahem* No, you imbecile, I'm not saying that, and I question your mental capacity for you to even suggest that. But I bet you aren't turning your entire bloody head to look at a road-sign or a traffic light, are you? That's my point. Checking your blind-spots becomes as routine as checking your rear-view mirror, or your speedometer, or looking at a sign/traffic light, instead of having to turn your head entirely.

Kennyredline
02-22-2009, 07:42 PM
lol. Oh boy.

*ahem* No, you imbecile, I'm not saying that, and I question your mental capacity for you to even suggest that. But I bet you aren't turning your entire bloody head to look at a road-sign or a traffic light, are you?
My mental capacity is fine.
I'm dubious of anyone's driving ability when they say shoulder checking is dangerous.

TorqueDog
02-22-2009, 07:53 PM
My mental capacity is fine.
I'm dubious of anyone's driving ability when they say shoulder checking is dangerous. I'm dubious of anyone's mental capacity when they can read a post and jump to such an absurd extreme; you weren't a politician once upon a time, were you?

Do me a favour... snap your fingers for me. (Unless you're The Claw, in which case ask a friend to snap for you.)

*Snap* That is the amount of time it can take for the vehicle in front of you to hit their brakes in an emergency situation. Could be a squirrel, a rock, or maybe a bird startled them. Who knows. But it takes longer than a snap of the fingers for you to turn to check your blind spot, and back and realize "Oh shit" and hit the brakes. In the time I snap my fingers, I can move my eyes to my side mirror, and back to the direction in which I'm traveling. My main focus never has to leave what's in front of me to verify my blind-spots are clear. Checking a blind spot is now as easy as checking my speedometer, rear view mirror, RPMs, etc.

Turning your head away from the action, the direction in which you are traveling, is inherently an unsafe practice. It's an accepted practice, I won't argue that, but what exactly is the problem with someone suggesting a different means to the same end?

I have no accidents on my record, what about you?

TorqueDog
02-22-2009, 08:01 PM
On second thought, there's no point in either of us continuing this argument. I know myself well enough to know that you're not changing my opinion, and I'm pretty sure your opinion is set in stone at age 38.

Agree to disagree.

Kennyredline
02-22-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm dubious of anyone's mental capacity when they can read a post and jump to such an absurd extreme; you weren't a politician once upon a time, were you?

Do me a favour... snap your fingers for me. (Unless you're The Claw, in which case ask a friend to snap for you.)

*Snap* That is the amount of time it can take for the vehicle in front of you to hit their brakes in an emergency situation. Could be a squirrel, a rock, or maybe a bird startled them. Who knows. But it takes longer than a snap of the fingers for you to turn to check your blind spot, and back and realize "Oh shit" and hit the brakes. In the time I snap my fingers, I can move my eyes to my side mirror, and back to the direction in which I'm traveling. My main focus never has to leave what's in front of me to verify my blind-spots are clear. Checking a blind spot is now as easy as checking my speedometer, rear view mirror, RPMs, etc.

Turning your head away from the action, the direction in which you are traveling, is inherently an unsafe practice. It's an accepted practice, I won't argue that, but what exactly is the problem with someone suggesting a different means to the same end?

LOLOLOLOL

I can see the problem now...you follow way too close to be able to shoulder check properly.
Do your mirrors cover everything from the end of your peripheral vision to behind your vehicle...?
And no, no accidents, no tickets, no demerits taken.

Kennyredline
02-22-2009, 08:10 PM

LOLOLOLOL

I can see the problem now...you follow way too close to be able to shoulder check properly.
Do your mirrors cover everything from the end of your peripheral vision to behind your vehicle...?
And no, no accidents, no tickets, no demerits.

TorqueDog
02-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Quoting yourself really hammers home your point so much better. Really.

LOLOLOLOL

And no, no accidents, no tickets, no demerits taken. Heh, I can see your problem now, you jump to conclusions far too quickly in lieu of having a real discussion and make yourself look like an asshat.

On the issue of following too closely, actually I don't. Fact remains, at 100 KM/H, the four second rule is a nice thought, but someone hits their brakes in a desperation move at those speeds, you're gonna catch up pretty fuckin' quick.

I'll reiterate since you missed it earlier in the thread:

- My rear view mirror covers what is immediately behind me.
- As soon as a vehicle passing on either side begins to leave the field of view of my rear view mirror, it begins entering the field of view of my side-view mirrors.
- By the time the vehicle begins leaving the field of view of my side-view mirrors, it's already visible to me in my side window.

... thus eliminating the need for a shoulder check, because the vehicle is always visible to me.

Kennyredline
02-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Quoting yourself really hammers home your point so much better. Really.
Heh, I can see your problem now, you jump to conclusions far too quickly in lieu of having a real discussion and make yourself look like an asshat.

On the issue of following too closely, actually I don't. Fact remains, at 100 KM/H, the four second rule is a nice thought, but someone hits their brakes in a desperation move at those speeds, you're gonna catch up pretty fuckin' quick.

I'll reiterate since you missed it earlier in the thread:

- My rear view mirror covers what is immediately behind me.
- As soon as a vehicle passing on either side begins to leave the field of view of my rear view mirror, it begins entering the field of view of my side-view mirrors.
- By the time the vehicle begins leaving the field of view of my side-view mirrors, it's already visible to me in my side window.

... thus eliminating the need for a shoulder check, because the vehicle is always visible to me.

What's with the namecalling? Are you 12?
I haven't missed anything you've said, I just don't believe a word of it, you're totally full of shit.
You're mirrors do not cover all of the area around your vehicle that needs to be observed before making a lane change or a turn. Eg; you're in the left lane of the QEII, you want to change lanes to the middle lane; you're telling me you know what's happening in the far right lane just from your mirrors?
It takes the same amount of time to shoulder check as it does to mirror check, but shoulder checking gives more information. If you're looking at one of your side mirrors, all it takes is a 2-inch turn of the head to see a blind spot...you're logic is not only lazy, but dangerous.

TorqueDog
02-22-2009, 10:16 PM
What's with the namecalling? Are you 12?
I haven't missed anything you've said, I just don't believe a word of it, you're totally full of shit.
You're mirrors do not cover all of the area around your vehicle that needs to be observed before making a lane change or a turn. Eg; you're in the left lane of the QEII, you want to change lanes to the middle lane; you're telling me you know what's happening in the far right lane just from your mirrors?
It takes the same amount of time to shoulder check as it does to mirror check, but shoulder checking gives more information. If you're looking at one of your side mirrors, all it takes is a 2-inch turn of the head to see a blind spot...you're logic is not only lazy, but dangerous. I'm call 'em as I see 'em. Turning your head two inches does not enable you to see a blind spot, I'm sorry, but you're the one full of shit. A two inch rotation of your head allows you to look dead on at your mirror, and that's about it. And that's not a shoulder check in any respect.

I agree to disagree, if only because I'm tired of explaining things to you over and over. Your opinion isn't changing, neither is mine.

Kennyredline
02-23-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm call 'em as I see 'em. Turning your head two inches does not enable you to see a blind spot, I'm sorry, but you're the one full of shit. A two inch rotation of your head allows you to look dead on at your mirror, and that's about it. And that's not a shoulder check in any respect.

I agree to disagree, if only because I'm tired of explaining things to you over and over. Your opinion isn't changing, neither is mine.

Fucking douchbag!!!! FUCKING LEARN HOW TO READ!!!
I said WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING AT YOUR SIDE MIRROR, IT IS A 2-INCH TURN OF THE HEAD to see a blind spot...fuck's sake!!

02-23-2009, 10:40 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Coming from a BMW driver AND a VW driver....

liquidboi69
02-23-2009, 10:48 AM
In my opinion, you need both.

Shoulder checking because of the whole 3-lane roadway, with outside lanes changing into each other. And also because positioning mirrors to MINIMIZE blind spots helps give the driver better view of their surroundings.

Neither is fool proof, and in my opinion people should just do both.

TorqueDog
02-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Fucking douchbag!!!! FUCKING LEARN HOW TO READ!!!
I said WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING AT YOUR SIDE MIRROR, IT IS A 2-INCH TURN OF THE HEAD to see a blind spot...fuck's sake!! Now who's the 12 year old?

Beyond.ca - It'll take 26 years off your age, ask us how!

scat19
02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
I just hope you're not the idiot leaning so far forward, so that your ear is almost touching the steering wheel, so you can see more in the side view mirror.

I was tought to look at the mirror and then shoulder check.

Simple, 1 second, and it has stopped me from driving into a car everytime. :thumbsup:

Quickstrike
02-23-2009, 05:55 PM
As people have said before, the test is very easy.

Just traveling around town. If you remain alert and obey the basic traffic laws you will have no problem.

The only issue I had was with my instructor accusing me of speeding because the car I drove had very small metric readings on the speedometer that he couldn't see (manufactured for the US market).

Kennyredline
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Quickstrike
As people have said before, the test is very easy.

Just traveling around town. If you remain alert and obey the basic traffic laws you will have no problem.

The only issue I had was with my instructor accusing me of speeding because the car I drove had very small metric readings on the speedometer that he couldn't see (manufactured for the US market).

Whose car was it? Isn't it illegal to have an imperial speedometer in Canada?

oilerfan4lyfe
02-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Easy test - I did mine through AMA so it's not like I just knew someone and paid them to pass.

It's even easier than the first test IMO because no parallel parking...you do have to merge onto high speed roads - just watch your speed when you do that - I know usually when I merge onto Deerfoot I'm usually going around 105 by the time I'm actually on the highway. If you take it in the NE they'll take you on 16th as well where it's 90.

Also, on stop signs literally count to three after you come to a full stop...I came to a complete stop, waited a good second then went and the dude told me at the end that I rolled the stops though it was only a 10 pt deduction, not a fail.

TorqueDog
02-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Whose car was it? Isn't it illegal to have an imperial speedometer in Canada? Nope. It has metric and imperial measurements on the speedometer, so it's a-okay.

When the speedometer is strictly imperial, then you may have some issues, particularly with importing. Having said that, Canada didn't even begin to adopt the metric system until 1970. Older cars all came with imperial speedometers, which he could have used on his test... for whatever reason.

Sky
02-24-2009, 12:09 AM
TorqueDog - I agree with what you're saying about positioning your mirrors to help you with those blind spots. I personally do that with my driver side mirror. It is positioned to see most of my left rear blind spot. I still turn my head a little though but the mirror helps big time. My passenger mirror is positioned normally though because it is easier to shoulder check to the right. If you drive lots and you do full shoulder checks(turn head maybe 90 degrees or more) for years and years, I'm sure you're going to have neck problems.

Key is to be alert and have a sense of your surroundings. Don't really matter what exact method people use. Just be focused and smart. Don't tailgate and don't drive like you own the road(ex.let people in on merges if they're going at the right speed) will prevent huge amount of accidents.

Sky
02-24-2009, 12:18 AM

Having mirrors help with those blind spot works. No accidents on my record as well. 12 years and counting.

nismodrifter
02-24-2009, 12:40 AM
It's all about the Euro aspherical mirrors yo:
http://www.billswebspace.com/vw36.jpg