PDA

View Full Version : how to get your kitten to stop pissing on stuff....

03ozwhip
02-22-2009, 12:13 PM
a couple of months ago my wife rescued a kitten that had been in the -40 weather we had that had gotten major frostbite on her ears, feet and tail. shes also crosseyed, so im not sure if she is mentally not proper since this incident.

anyways, she will piss on almost anything she can. she has pissed on my dirty socks that i left on the floor(dont do that anymore, but i believe she would do it again if i did.) she pisses on our bath mat(i guess because of the wetness?) which we take up after every shower, but she pulls it down then pisses on it, ive witnessed it.

then we have a blanket that we use on the couch, that i just grabbed and noticed that it made the couch wet, low and behold, piss on that too. she does use the litter box as far as i know and have seen, but how the fuck can we stop her from pissing on stuff everywhere we turn??? she has pissed on other stuff as well as just the floor, so its not specific to any area.

barmanjay
02-22-2009, 12:18 PM
have her fixed

we were starting to have probs with our female kittens with pissing on random things,.. the kicker was one of my leather jackets.

We got them fixed and have never had a problem since.

03ozwhip
02-22-2009, 12:23 PM
i think the vet said that they have to be like 6 months old, shes only approx. 4 months right now....but ya that was definitely in the plan, you think that will work though? ive never had any problems with any of the other cats when they were her age....

theken
02-22-2009, 12:31 PM
best idea, get rid of the cat and get a dog

DeeK
02-22-2009, 12:48 PM
I had this problem with my cat for a while.... turns out shes just really picky and demands I must clean her litterbox every other day, instead of weekly like most cats. If not, she will find her own place to go.

I can't blame her though, I wouldn't want to continually go in the same place if it was disgusting. :P

As far as getting a cat fixed, vets recommend 6 months, but if you are persistent you can get it done before that. I got my cat from the SPCA and I guess because lack of money/time they did as many cats as they could whenever the vets came in. My cat was spayed at 2 months (maybe less, dunno for sure)

962 kid
02-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by theken
best idea, get rid of the cat and get a dog

Yeah, because dogs don't piss all over the place

DJturbo
02-22-2009, 01:17 PM
pics of the cross eyed kitty :thumbsup:

4bier
02-22-2009, 01:18 PM
thats probably why you found her outside in -40

Rocky
02-22-2009, 01:21 PM
shes also crosseyed, so im not sure if she is mentally not proper since this incident. You shoulda named the cat Bubbles :D

Good on you for rescuing an animal. I hear spaying helps the most but I also read this:
she might have a urinary tract infection. It is undetectable with the eye, but you must collect a sample of urine and have it analysed. You collect it as with humans, when she goes to pee you put a sterile cup under the tail, or the vet collects it with a procedure. Check it for bacteria, blood and crystals. It is typical behaviour of such infections, because they feel some discomfort urinating and they connect that to the litter box, so they go elsewhere.
If you can't collect a sample, ask your vet if he agrees to give her antibiotics anyway for 2 weeks (nitrofurantoin or amoxicillin, doasge as for babies), and see what happens.

Marking the territory would be more probable for a male.

celica girl
02-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Try this stuff... it's supposed to be really effective!
http://www.petcomfortzone.com/

P.S. best place to order is probably ebay...

turbotrip
02-23-2009, 12:04 AM
have you tried beating it?

ZorroAMG
02-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Have you tried eating it?

funkedelic2
02-23-2009, 12:27 AM
http://www.catgenie.com/

03ozwhip
02-23-2009, 12:32 AM
no pics right now, but either way i dont know why a fuck would be so cold hearted as to throw a kitten 1 month old on its ass in -40 pissing on stuff or not.

weve taken her in to the vet for normal checkups and she came back fine nothing wrong with her except obviouslt half size ears, a couple burned pads on the feet and a wierd broken kinda tail. i guess ill wait til we can spay her and see what happens..

nich148_9
02-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Kitten eh? Small enough to fit between two pieces of bread.

ITR_typeR
02-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
have you tried beating it?

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Have you tried eating it?

Have you tried pissing on it??

funkedelic2
02-23-2009, 12:40 AM
I had a similar situation. 5 years ago on halloween i was driving a piece of shit car that had over heated. I was with 3 buddies and i pulled over and poped the hood to see what was going on. When i was coming back to get into the car, a kitten was sitting in my drivers seat. I didn't know where it had come from, but it looked like it had been outside for a long time. I couldn't leave it there so i took it home with me. It didn't want to play or eat and it just wanted to sit around so i figured i should just wait it out until i could take him to the vet. I wraped it up and made sure he was warm, and the next morning i got up early to check on him and he was as hard as a rock. He died overnight unfortunately. :(

ReflexFX
02-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid

Yeah, because dogs don't piss all over the place

Dogs dont piss all over the place. When my dog was a puppy we forgot to let it outside one time and came home expecting a mess all over the living room and shit, but apparently it learned to crap and piss on the tiled washroom instead of the carpeted house, maybe from scent? So now we arent afraid to leave it alone in the house for longer periods of time. Dogs are smart k?

Boat
02-23-2009, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by ReflexFX

Dogs dont piss all over the place. When my dog was a puppy we forgot to let it outside one time and came home expecting a mess all over the living room and shit, but apparently it learned to crap and piss on the tiled washroom instead of the carpeted house, maybe from scent? So now we arent afraid to leave it alone in the house for longer periods of time. Dogs are smart k?

/QFT

Maybe they will piss on the floor/carpet.. but they wont piss on your leather jacket or other valuables (my friends cat pissed on his nintendo "wee") I can guarantee a dog won't piss on your shit.

nonlinear
02-23-2009, 10:14 AM
what is the condition of the litterbox? are you using scoopable (not absorbent) litter, and cleaning it EVERY DAY? is the litter deep enough that it can bury the piss when it's done?

if that's OK, bring your cat to the vet to have it checked for urinary tract infections. it might be that the kitty is walking around and then suddenly has to pee and can't make it to the box.

we have four cats, and have unfortunately been through it all haha (and yes, it gets worse)

and as far as i know, it's male (not female) cats who piss all over if they don't get fixed. but then again, i'm just remembering that from my childhood and all my cats now are obviously fixed.

+1 for pics of the crosseyed kitty.

LadyLuck
02-23-2009, 10:31 AM
next time it pees on your stuff...rub her face in it!

ralliart_girl
02-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
no pics right now, but either way i dont know why a fuck would be so cold hearted as to throw a kitten 1 month old on its ass in -40 pissing on stuff or not.

Hey just curious, what area did your wife find the kitten in. Cause my bf found a box with two kittens in it a few month ago in the back alley, but when he walked up to the box, one of the kittens got away, so he was only about to save one. We looked for the another kitten for weeks.

Zero102
02-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Normally female cats don't have problems about using a litterbox, nonlinear is right this problem is typically with male cats because they are spraying things to mark them.

Since the cat is pulling down the bath mat and pissing on things that are level I don't think it is a spraying problem you have. Having the cat spayed may still help with the problem but I wouldn't count on it. Pediatric spaying is available from some vets (IIRC Centre St. vet clinic does it) but it is typically more expensive and carries a higher risk with it as well. The best idea is to wait until they are 6 months old for females.

Make sure the litter in its box is deep enough and that the cat does not have any issues getting into the litter box. At 4 months old it should be big enough to climb into any litter box, but if they are having difficulties getting to the right place, they will use _any_ place. You mention its been to the vet, but have they checked for a urinary tract infection specifically?

I have 4 cats as well, one of them has occasional problems with the litterbox, sometimes she will just climb into any box on the floor and piss in it, or on our mattress, or on the couch.... The important thing is to be somewhat stern with them when they make these mistakes. I'm not saying to beat your cat, that is retarded, but if she does it again pick her up, smack her bottom put her nose right beside it (don't literally rub her nose in it, that is wrong) then take her directly to the litter box and set her in it.

That's all the advice I can really give, hope it helps.

And for the guys saying eat it, beat it, piss on it, grow up, seriously :facepalm:

em2ab
02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
I had a similar situation. 5 years ago on halloween i was driving a piece of shit car that had over heated. I was with 3 buddies and i pulled over and poped the hood to see what was going on. When i was coming back to get into the car, a kitten was sitting in my drivers seat. I didn't know where it had come from, but it looked like it had been outside for a long time. I couldn't leave it there so i took it home with me. It didn't want to play or eat and it just wanted to sit around so i figured i should just wait it out until i could take him to the vet. I wraped it up and made sure he was warm, and the next morning i got up early to check on him and he was as hard as a rock. He died overnight unfortunately. :(
It's possible you may have contributed to that unfortunately. If the bloodflow to the extremities has been cut off long enough and the blood has gotten cold enough, allowing it to flow back to the heart can cause an immediate heart attack. By attempting to play with it you're increasing its heart rate and warming it up too fast will cause the body to think the blood is warm, opening up the extremities prematurely. Whenever you have someone whom is very cold, the only safe thing is to warm them up very slowly.

nonlinear
02-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Normally female cats don't have problems about using a litterbox, nonlinear is right this problem is typically with male cats because they are spraying things to mark them.

Since the cat is pulling down the bath mat and pissing on things that are level I don't think it is a spraying problem you have. Having the cat spayed may still help with the problem but I wouldn't count on it. Pediatric spaying is available from some vets (IIRC Centre St. vet clinic does it) but it is typically more expensive and carries a higher risk with it as well. The best idea is to wait until they are 6 months old for females.

Make sure the litter in its box is deep enough and that the cat does not have any issues getting into the litter box. At 4 months old it should be big enough to climb into any litter box, but if they are having difficulties getting to the right place, they will use _any_ place. You mention its been to the vet, but have they checked for a urinary tract infection specifically?

I have 4 cats as well, one of them has occasional problems with the litterbox, sometimes she will just climb into any box on the floor and piss in it, or on our mattress, or on the couch.... The important thing is to be somewhat stern with them when they make these mistakes. I'm not saying to beat your cat, that is retarded, but if she does it again pick her up, smack her bottom put her nose right beside it (don't literally rub her nose in it, that is wrong) then take her directly to the litter box and set her in it.

That's all the advice I can really give, hope it helps.

And for the guys saying eat it, beat it, piss on it, grow up, seriously :facepalm:

many great points.

the only thing i might add is that instead of smacking or doing anything that causes injury/pain, get a water spray bottle and spray her whenever you see her doing it. *make sure that she associates the spray with the peeing, otherwise it won't work and you'll just be fucking with her emotions.* they hate water (especially sprays of water haha) just as much, if not more, than pain. put it on the setting so it's a steady stream (not mist) and that will become your best 'punishment' tool for when she jumps on the kitchen counters, etc.

03ozwhip
02-23-2009, 11:50 AM
all good advice but the thing is, i have had cats for 25 years and also know ALOT about taking care of them so every point that ive heard is everything i have tried, right dow to the spray bottle that im currently using.

ive brought up many kittens and have heard/seen all the issues, but this one just seems to not understand. the one thing i am going to do today though is get another litterbox, i currently only have 2 and i have 3 cats. the vet said you should even have 4 litterboxes for 3 cats, but i cant imagine why that would be....

ZorroAMG
02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

Yeah, cause we're serious :rolleyes:

Being serious turns you into super fun mr Zero!!!!! YAYYYYYY!

:facepalm:

turbotrip
02-24-2009, 05:23 AM
^ I dont know about you Zorro, but I was pretty serious when I suggested beating it. Seems like the logical solution :dunno:

Supa Dexta
02-24-2009, 06:26 AM
beating, eating.. no I'm sorry the answer we were looking for was heating.. "Have you tried heating it"...

.. We also would have accepted treating.

Waiting for pics of the retard cat.

eblend
02-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Boat

/QFT

Maybe they will piss on the floor/carpet.. but they wont piss on your leather jacket or other valuables (my friends cat pissed on his nintendo "wee") I can guarantee a dog won't piss on your shit.

They will just shit on everything. Had a dog that would shit on anything and everything in the house. Needless to say we didn't keep it for very long. Gave it away to a family who had a farm so it can shit all over the farm instead

Genjuro
02-25-2009, 01:34 PM
microwave?