PDA

View Full Version : xbox Live with router?

94CoRd
10-11-2003, 03:11 PM
hey everyone, i'm thinking about getting some live for my xbox, but i'm just wondering will ti work with a router? I have a linksys router, and it seems a little sketchy to me, cuz i cant even send shit over MSN, let alone play xbox through the router., well anywho, your comments would be appreciated..thanx

desipwr
10-12-2003, 11:03 AM
yup it'll work

C_CRX
10-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Works for me. Same brand router. Just make sure it's configured properly. I may suggest rethinking getting Xbox Live tho, I've had it the past 11 months and haven't been happy with it at all. Just my opinion tho!

94CoRd
10-12-2003, 04:20 PM
thanx boiz :thumbsup:

Dope Dealer
10-19-2003, 01:30 AM
Anyone know if it will work with a wireless router?

AKA, having one computer on the wireless with a cord connected from router to Xbox?

I dont know if the router has any ports for plug-ins....

winson2001
10-19-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by C_CRX
Works for me. Same brand router. Just make sure it's configured properly. I may suggest rethinking getting Xbox Live tho, I've had it the past 11 months and haven't been happy with it at all. Just my opinion tho!

can you explain how is it not making you happy? cause I'm thinking of buying the XBox for Xbox live! be nice to know whats bad about it! Thanks!

C_CRX
10-19-2003, 11:50 PM
Don't get me wrong, it's the best of all the other consoles online 'services'! But I just find the game selection to be limited. I'm not a huge sport game fan, I'd rather play FPS on my PC with a mouse/keyboard and that's about all they really offer. Updating games with it is very cool.

They recently had a patch for Live that made it much more useful (talk to friends with headset outside of games, etc..) and prettier- but I feel it's a year too late- I WON'T be renewing my subscription. Basically it comes down to what games you play. I use it for mainly the updating games I got- and that is quite limited. I play mostly PC games (which most are on the Xbox too- I play mostly stealth/adventure and RPGs on my consoles tho) so playing online with my Xbox usually is my last choice. Are you the type that plays lots of console games and wants to paly others- go for it! but check out the games Xbox offers for their online service and maybe play a few. Some are fun but some just stunk! HTH

F00b
10-20-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer
Anyone know if it will work with a wireless router?

AKA, having one computer on the wireless with a cord connected from router to Xbox?

I dont know if the router has any ports for plug-ins....

Yes, it works.

I currently use the SMC EZ Connnect Wireless Internet Adapter for Xbox Live.

Gamertag = Virc (if you cared)

winson2001
10-20-2003, 02:46 AM
Thanks for your info man! me too, i'm no sports games fan! I wanted to get a Xbox cause the mod chip is now kind of mature enough, that the Xbox will play VCD, SVCD, DVD all region even avi and mpg files! I'm really quite new to online gaming. so the Xbox live is a bonus to me! Do you know if the Xbox live would work on a copied games? I know it won't work if the game is saved in your HD!

Dope Dealer
10-20-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by F00b

Yes, it works.

I currently use the SMC EZ Connnect Wireless Internet Adapter for Xbox Live.

Gamertag = Virc (if you cared)

Where can I get that? And how much?

I have a wireless setup and I just recently moved my Xbox to my room. I never hook up Live, but now that I have a router (had a hub before), I can play both at the same time :)

Dope Dealer
10-20-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by winson2001
Thanks for your info man! me too, i'm no sports games fan! I wanted to get a Xbox cause the mod chip is now kind of mature enough, that the Xbox will play VCD, SVCD, DVD all region even avi and mpg files! I'm really quite new to online gaming. so the Xbox live is a bonus to me! Do you know if the Xbox live would work on a copied games? I know it won't work if the game is saved in your HD!

No, it won't work. You have to turn off the chip (given it has a switch) to play Xbox Live, or else it will detect you have modified the Xbox and won't start up into the Live Dashboard.

I've been thinking about getting an external chip to play VCD and SVCD.... My Xbox plays burned DVD-R and DVD+R fine w/o a chip :D

hjr
10-20-2003, 10:16 AM
live is the best thing since sliced bread, well for about a week anyways. Then i got board of it. I was playing Ghost Recon. 1 week. I still play is periodically, but it definetly lost its appeal very quick. Also, you can blow 4 or 5 hours without even trying, which is bad when you have homework like me.

Superesc
11-02-2003, 01:06 AM
just bought Rainbox6 3, was tempted to get LIVE with it... but maybe in Christmas hehe Is there any Lag issue with LIVE?? Any problems you guys have seen???

hjr
11-02-2003, 05:34 PM
there is lag issues if you get in on a bad server or your connection sucks. but again. re-consider. it kinda sucks. I would definetely not do it again. im not gonna re-sign for another 12 months either

thefonz
01-07-2004, 10:49 PM
i am thinking about getting xbox live but the thing im unsure about is if it will work in my apartment. i have 2 roommates and we have the linksys wireless router. we also dont have a phone line. what im wondering is if xbox live will work and if it will, where will i plug it in at. if anyone can help me out i would really appreciate it.