PDA

View Full Version : "House Husbands"

Hakkola
02-22-2009, 06:48 PM
LOL. I would never be a stay at home dad, but now here's another reason not to.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-467390/Househusband-backlash-high-flying-wives-ditch-men-em-em-wanted-stay-home.html

mucat
02-23-2009, 01:10 PM
So, is he going to have the kid and half of everything and child support? It is only fair...to the kid

GQBalla
02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
hmm so being a stay at home dad isn't that great

Jlude
02-23-2009, 01:34 PM
and I was THIS close to staying home while the wife works...

scat19
02-23-2009, 01:49 PM
There is a reason men and women are different. We can't upset this balance.

Toma
02-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by scat19
There is a reason men and women are different. We can't upset this balance.

Pssst!! It's not politically correct to admit gender differences!

:poosie:

JfuckinC
02-23-2009, 02:01 PM
i would slap the shit out of that bitch and regain my alpha male postion. what a hoe. :bigpimp:

HiTempguy1
02-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
i would slap the shit out of that bitch and regain my alpha male postion. what a hoe. :bigpimp:

Somebody had to say it :clap:

Hakkola
02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
and I was THIS close to staying home while the wife works...

I actually remember someone on beyond posting about becoming a stay-at-home dad. I think it was this forum anyway. Part of the reason I posted this.

max_boost
02-23-2009, 09:54 PM
lol

My wife doesn't make enough to support me therefore I can never be a "house husband"

frozenrice
02-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Man the one guy got screwed over royally. Stay at home dad for 5 years bringing up the children and then ends up paying alimony. :dunno: What a bunch of crap.

Divorce is never a winning proposition for men.

Hakkola
02-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

Neither is marriage. :rofl:

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
02-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Man the one guy got screwed over royally. Stay at home dad for 5 years bringing up the children and then ends up paying alimony. :dunno: What a bunch of crap.

I dont understand this... I don't knwo shit about divorce or marriage, but if he stayed at home and really has nothing now, doesn't he get half her shit?
Ain't to bad I suppose considering she's a big exec of some sort.

thrasher22
02-24-2009, 12:52 AM
I'd be a stay at home Dad for sure!
Staying at home and helping raise your kid sounds like a lot more fun to me than the standard 9-5 job.
Not that I'm not excited to make other people a lot of money and sitting at a computer all day in beautiful exciting downtown Calgary... :(

szw
02-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by thrasher22
I'd be a stay at home Dad for sure!
Staying at home and helping raise your kid sounds like a lot more fun to me than the standard 9-5 job.
Not that I'm not excited to make other people a lot of money and sitting at a computer all day in beautiful exciting downtown Calgary... :(

I would not be against it on principle either. Just makes sense if the wife happens to make a lot more money. I would think the situation in the article isn't that prevalent but thats just a guess. It would definitely be something to consider that I never thought about though.

urban.one
02-24-2009, 09:11 AM
You have a habit of reading old news?

That article is dated: Last updated at 09:00 10 July 2007

Originally posted by Hakkola
LOL. I would never be a stay at home dad, but now here's another reason not to.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-467390/Househusband-backlash-high-flying-wives-ditch-men-em-em-wanted-stay-home.html

ExtraSlow
02-24-2009, 09:32 AM
A female friend of mine got divorced last year. They both worked, but she made a lot more than him. She ended up paying him around $120,000. He has to pay some child support, but niether of them are paying alimony.

Super_Geo
02-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Haha blatant sexism. Switch the genders around (man is the high rollin exec, woman stays at home) and I guarantee you the woman would get the kid and the man would have to pay child support and alimony.

Where are all those cunty feminists now?

gofastmerc
02-24-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm a stay at home dad. Its been about 3 years, and the littlest has about 2 years to go before he is in school full time. I guess I have to go back to work then. Maybe...

That article was also from across the pond, I like to think the courts would be a little different here. That guy got screwed.
I don't worry too much about that kind of thing, I have my journeyman papers for auto body, and they is always work for guys like me. I have done the odd thing in the garage to help pay for for some of the race car stuff. So at least I won't be out on the street if something like that happens.

Hakkola
02-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
You have a habit of reading old news?

That article is dated: Last updated at 09:00 10 July 2007

I'm in the process of reading the entire internet.

Originally posted by gofastmerc

That article was also from across the pond, I like to think the courts would be a little different here.

It's not the problem of lacking equality in the courts that made me post this, just the fact that so many of these arrangements end in divorce, but I suppose a lot of marriages do regardless.

Jlude
02-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I actually remember someone on beyond posting about becoming a stay-at-home dad. I think it was this forum anyway. Part of the reason I posted this.

I remember that too...

Originally posted by max_boost
lol

My wife doesn't make enough to support me therefore I can never be a "house husband"

+1

I wouldn't wanna be a house husband... but it would be nice to take a few months off.
I did last year, took 5 months off... while the wife worked... it was great... basically all of summer/fall.

Euro838
02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
I have a feeling that the women would have probably left these men anyways. High powered/high earning women won't want to be with men that do not keep pace with them. With them being househusbands just emphasized it more.

Sorry to say but when people are at home all the time and just taking care of kids or house duties, they tend to be out of touch with the rest of the world. It's not like they are watching CNN (maye at first) but then it turns to treehouse and soaps!

There's nothing to talk about after while since the houseperson can't really understand or relate to what the working person is experiencing or the conversion is one dimensional.

I would really have my wife work than to stay home regardless of how much she earns. Just the fact she could be doing something she likes and having the social interaction of real people is worth it. Unless she hates her job, but that's a different scenario.

semograd
02-24-2009, 12:55 PM
this is where the "rule of thumb" comes into play.

jsn
02-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by semograd
this is where the "rule of thumb" comes into play.

^^ a scene from the boondock saints comes to mind :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E1weruUCeg

This is the deleted scene version so its longer than in the actual movie, but it's the only one i could find.

gofastmerc
02-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
I have a feeling that the women would have probably left these men anyways. High powered/high earning women won't want to be with men that do not keep pace with them. With them being househusbands just emphasized it more.

Sorry to say but when people are at home all the time and just taking care of kids or house duties, they tend to be out of touch with the rest of the world. It's not like they are watching CNN (maye at first) but then it turns to treehouse and soaps!

There's nothing to talk about after while since the houseperson can't really understand or relate to what the working person is experiencing or the conversion is one dimensional.

I would really have my wife work than to stay home regardless of how much she earns. Just the fact she could be doing something she likes and having the social interaction of real people is worth it. Unless she hates her job, but that's a different scenario.

I really don't know where to to start with this post, other than to say there is more to life than money and "power."

You would rather your wife work, so someone else can raise your kids? Just so she can can have some "social interaction"? Really?

"There's nothing to talk about after while since the houseperson can't really understand or relate to what the working person is experiencing or the conversion is one dimensional.

I have to laugh a bit at this. I'm at home, not in a cave. On a deserted island. Without a radio.

More like the person who is working doesn't know anything expect their job. Talk about a one dimensional conversation.

We did it for many reasons, of course we wanted to raise our own kids, but she had the better job, with better benefits. It would be easy to just have both of us to work, pay someone to watch the kids, and drive a new fancy car. It wouldn't do much to bring us together, maybe even put us in competition with each other. Fight over who is going to clean the house, who gets the weekend to do stuff. I think it would be more ideal for the wife to stay home, but it for us, this is the better solution.

I really believe that the world would be a better place if more parents would put their kids first, instead of trying to keep up with the Jones.

frozenrice
02-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I was just thinking about the situation a bit more. Maybe she ditched him because he was bumming a free ride off of her and she caught on.
My wife has an acquaintance who's husband is a stay at home dad. I've met him a few times and from what I've observed, it would appear that he's just a lazy bum. He does take care of the kids, but he seems to have an awful amount of time and money for his hobbies and toys.

Pshrynk
02-24-2009, 05:35 PM
I was just thinking about the situation a bit more. Maybe she ditched him because he was bumming a free ride off of her and she caught on.
My wife has an acquaintance who's husband is a stay at home dad. I've met him a few times and from what I've observed, it would appear that he's just a lazy bum. He does take care of the kids, but he seems to have an awful amount of time and money for his hobbies and toys.

Yeah because taking care of the kids is not hard work :rolleyes:

Darkane
02-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Taken From a Charles Poliquin Article (World Renowned Strength and Conditioning Coach)

Between 1971 and 1991, average testosterone levels for males have decreased by 31 percent.

There are many possible causes, supported by scientific research, that have been proposed for the epidemic of low testosterone, such as depression, being overweight and having low levels of zinc. Other, less probable, causes range from environmental xenoestrogens to sitting too close to the television to radiation from cell phones. It's such a problem that labs are actually lowering their standards for what they consider normal testosterone levels. This creates a situation in which men see their lab results and believe they are normal even though their testosterone may actually be at near-castration levels.

Men aren't men anymore. Where as women are producing MORE estrogen and are even crazier. Our world is not like it used to be.

Weapon_R
02-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by gofastmerc

We did it for many reasons, of course we wanted to raise our own kids, but she had the better job, with better benefits. It would be easy to just have both of us to work, pay someone to watch the kids, and drive a new fancy car. It wouldn't do much to bring us together, maybe even put us in competition with each other. Fight over who is going to clean the house, who gets the weekend to do stuff. I think it would be more ideal for the wife to stay home, but it for us, this is the better solution.

You sound like a great wife. Keep up the good work!