PDA

View Full Version : Blown Fuses on Amplifier

sabad66
02-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Alright so today I go to turn on listen to music in the car, and notice that my sub is not working. I check the amp and the lights aren't on. I then went to check the main 85a fuse in the engine, still good. Then check the actual amp fuses and all three 20a fuses are blown. So I just figure hey, i'll go buy some new fuses, put them in and all is good.

So then I went and bought some new fuses from wal-mart and as I went to put it in (with the car off) it spark so I quickly pulled it away and noticed the tip of the fuse was physically burned. I thought that I should unhook the main fuse in the engine bay, put the three fuses in then hook the main fuse back up would be a good idea but right away there was a spark when putting the main fuse and then we pulled it away and now the three new fuses that I just put in were blown.

So now I figure something is screwed up, but I don't exactly know what.. Is this a symptom of a short? I don't relaly know exactly where to check if there is a short, so I'm just wondering if I could get a tip on what to do? If its too complicated, can anyone recommend a shop to take this to look at?

///LOUD LOAD\\\
02-23-2009, 10:04 AM
What kind of amp?
I have had issues liek this before where right out of the box the circuit board was shorting out on the chassis of the amp right at that fuse location on the amp. I had to lift the board and isolate it problem solved.

You should always us a charge light when hooking up power to the amp anyways. Try it and if the light doesnt go out then you have a short. Because the fuses on the amp are going and not the one under the hood i would bet its inside the amp.

sabad66
02-23-2009, 11:31 AM
It's a Boston Acoustics, GT-24 I believe. I bought it on the 24th of January so I might still be able to take it back wihtout hassles.

///LOUD LOAD\\\
02-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I see. I know a guy with that same amp who has had issue with it aswell. Ya take it back get a new one.