PDA

View Full Version : processor clock speed

the-240sx-guy
10-12-2003, 12:14 AM
my computer has a processor that is "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Mobile CPU 1.70GHz"

but the clock speed says 1.20ghz

how can i make the clock speed faster? is this a good idea or should i leave it as it is?

Davetronz
10-12-2003, 12:36 AM
Well, you would have to change MOBO voltage levels and dip switches (depending on board type). Or upgrade your BIOS.
If you dont know what you are doing, find a friend or someone who does, as its kinda touchy territory. Either that or you got a mislabeled processor...

prosh
10-12-2003, 02:01 AM
With mobile procs, it will usually run at a lower CPU speed to conserve power. When you have it plugged in, it should run at full CPU speed. Its Intels Stepping Conversion.

the-240sx-guy
10-12-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by prosh
With mobile procs, it will usually run at a lower CPU speed to conserve power. When you have it plugged in, it should run at full CPU speed. Its Intels Stepping Conversion.

hey u were right. i checked the bios settings and it was set to automatically change the speed if i was on battery. i just changed it so that it would be full speed all the time.

thanks man

accordboi_02
10-12-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by the-240sx-guy

hey u were right. i checked the bios settings and it was set to automatically change the speed if i was on battery. i just changed it so that it would be full speed all the time.

thanks man

You sure you want to do that?
There's a reason why Intel has their Speed Step technology... your battery is going to die FAST if you run your cpu at full speed... what do you need it to run that fast for anyways??