PDA

View Full Version : MK2 Supra/Corolla

Khyron
10-12-2003, 12:43 AM
So I'm still passively looking for an older 84-86 supra and I came across this:

Trim : GT-S
Description : 1985 TOYOTA COROLLA GT-S, 2.4L 22R-EC EFI fuel inj eng, 5 spd manual. No oil leaks, Doesn't burn oil. Alum mags.

Aside from not having a limited slip diff, what other things are better (or worse) about a supra compared to this car?

Idealy I want a cheap RWD car I can run on track days, maybe try autox or newbie drifting.

Thanks!

Khyron

thich
10-12-2003, 01:02 AM
watch out for rust..... it's a cancer on the AE86s that we have in North America... particularly calgary

sandman
10-12-2003, 02:39 AM
:werd:

EK 2.0
10-12-2003, 04:09 AM
Thats pretty cool that someone dropped a 22R into a Rolla...It would have a lot more torque than the 4A-GE which was in there orginally...look for rust on body panels...and even re-painted to cover up rust on body panels...and the rest is such basic buying a car common sense...Hope it works out for ya...

Khyron
10-12-2003, 11:04 AM
So if there's rust on a few quarter panels, there's nothing more involved than replacing said panels, is there?

(I've had several used cars, but they've always been beaters so I'm not savy with how much rust is fatal, and where it is fatal).

Khyron

Cueman
10-12-2003, 02:34 PM
On AE86, check junction of drivers side front strut tower with frame rail. On many cars there is a massive hole, or the beginning of one there. If that's the case, walk.

Replacing rear quarters is not an easy task. No one makes new replacements, junk yard ones can be hard to come by, and these are not panels that bolt on and off. Front fenders should not be a large worry though.

I've seen 22R motor in AE86 before. Local guy build a rally car equipped as such, but I'm not entirely sure why. The "base 82-85 Celica coupe" chassis is actually slightly lighter than the ae86 chassis, although it is bigger, it's also older, and wasn't build to more demanding safety standards.

The Celica ST though, as a whole ends up being a little heavier than the AE86 (around 2500lbs) because the 22RE is a little heftier than the 4ag, and because the W55 tranny is a monstrous compared to tiny T50. So... given that... I don't know why anyone would go to the trouble unless perhaps... they keep the small T50 (custom bellhousing)... might as well just buy the base Celica. that's my opinion at least...

Khyron
10-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the rust checking tips! So how would you compare the car above to say, an 85 6 banger supra? Both are RWD, supra is a bit heavier, but it has a limited diff. Any other pros/cons?

Khyron

illeagle
10-12-2003, 08:25 PM
I think there's more aftermarket goodies, availible for the AE86. I've only seen 2 supra's done up. The supra's alot heavier. About the LSD, just go on Ebay and pick one up for the little guy.