PDA

View Full Version : Telus Internet??

Dj_Stylz
10-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Today i got a call from telus saying that my connection has been hacked and my computers have been sending spam to other people and they said if it is not fixed they will suspend my connection i was like wtf??? He is like the best thing to do is format the comptuer. Do i really have to do this? Cuz like i just got my stuff on this and it would make me mad to get rid of all this stuff. He said the last time the hackers used the connection was yesterday Oct 11 2003. Shit guys anyone know what i can do about this problem??? If i have to format i will have to i gessue.

3G
10-12-2003, 12:05 PM
get a firewall or something dude...back up all ur shit on a cd and format..ill help u if u need

Dj_Stylz
10-12-2003, 12:07 PM
shit i know i can format no problem. But has anyone else got this call cuz i dont wana get suspended or anything.

BigYellowMonkey
10-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Sucks to run windows...

Especially if you use Outlook Express. You do, don't you... And you open those mysterious messages...

That's shitty. I was running a mail server without any firewall at all, and it got hijacked by some spam bot, and send out about 800 000 messages in the 12 or so hours before i caught it. I learned my lesson.

Back up your stuff, reformat your hard drive, and reinstall windows. If you're running XP Home, it's a real sucker for that stuff. I don't know if XP Professional is any better, but I know Win 98 SE was a big improvement. After reinstalling, install a firewall (I've heard BlackICE is pretty good, and that anything Norton is trash). Also, you might want to install a monitoring app (I use one called LittleSnitch, but I run Mac OS X, not windows), which basically notifies you when any application or process on your computer tries to make a connection. It's a bit of a pain in the ass for the first few days, because it'll warn you when Internet Explorer wants to load a website, but basically you tell it, when it asks you, that *insert app here* is allowed to connect only to X host on X port, or to any host on X port, or to any port at X host, or to any port on any host. And you set it differently for every app. Pretty nifty stuff. Especially since it essentially stops spyware.

Then again, I have a mac. In windows, a lot of that stuff would probably slide by, because it's a lot easier to disguise a process as another process in windows than it is in OS X (which is essentially unix with a pretty face).

Hope this helps...

-Biggie!

Dj_Stylz
10-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Thanks man. I dont used Outlook Express i dont even know why i have it. Did they call you or something Biggie?? ABout the problem?

Khyron
10-12-2003, 12:37 PM
He's right tho - if you got hacked by a pro spammer, you'll have back doors all over the place and won't know for sure if they are ever closed.

At LEAST always run zone alarm, better to get one of those dummy linksys/dlink router/firewalls.

If you don't know anyone, you can PM me your ip and I'll scan you and tell you what's open (Back orafice/netbus/etc..)

Khyron

Moonracer
10-12-2003, 12:58 PM
I got that message too and deleted it had on problems at all, It's probly bogus....:dunno:

rage2
10-12-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by BigYellowMonkey
That's shitty. I was running a mail server without any firewall at all, and it got hijacked by some spam bot, and send out about 800 000 messages in the 12 or so hours before i caught it. I learned my lesson.
A firewall wouldn't have helped you there bud. Your mail server was probably improperly configured, relaying emails for spammers.

As for the original question, chances are you probably got a virus that's replicating over email. In which case, I suggest you purchase a good virus scanner, or use a free online one such as http://housecall.antivirus.com

Good luck.

tt398
10-12-2003, 02:51 PM
use a LinkSys Cable Router / Firewall.
Also use anti-virus software with up-to-date defintion files on your machine. I also recommend Ad-Aware and SpyBot windoze machne.

best of luck..
:)