PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions on imported cars?

Hakkola
10-12-2003, 12:53 PM
We're planning on buying at least one car from Finland because we can get them duty free, so this has brought up a few questions.

First of all, who do we have to talk to in order to find out about what has to be changed on the car in order for it to be streetable in Canada?

Second, is the dealership going to honour the warranty here?

Thirdly, if we were to buy something really expensive, since it's duty free we would save big money, so I'm wondering how long it would be before we could sell a car that we imported here? Is it legal? Because it would be an easy way to make pretty good money.

I think we're getting another Mercedes, but is there anything any body can suggest that we could import that would be extremely rare in Canada, such as a diesel benz or something from another make that is really special and not available here?

Could the fact that my dad works over seas make it possible to buy a car in Finland that isn't usually legal to import to Canada now possible, ie: if the last gen skyline is legal there could I bring it in to Canada?

If any one has any relevent comments feel free to add.

nismodrifter
10-12-2003, 12:59 PM
what kind of "special" mbz are you wanting? something unique to canada or something just crazy nice overall

benyl
10-12-2003, 01:00 PM
I doubt that it would be cheaper for you to do this. I am thinking that it will in fact cost you more than if you bought the car here (barring fluctuating exchange rates). If money could be made that way, I am sure that people would have done this by now.

You will still have to pay duty when you import it to Canada (provided there is a duty on cars made in Germany). Duty is paid based on where the car is manufactured, not it's place of purchase.

Bringing something rare might work as people would be willing to pay a premium.

Hakkola
10-12-2003, 01:05 PM
Appearantly it's different because my dad works overseas but lives over here the duty tax is not applicable, because we would buy from Finland because we have citizenship there but we don't live there... I think the cars are generally cheaper there because Finland has one of, if not the highest tax on cars in the world, the tax on vehicles is 50% there.

Honestly I'm not sure how it works but I know it's possible, my mom just went for a visit and I believe a few people there were telling her about it.

Car has to be nice overall, but there must be something nice and rare right :D

ByDefault
10-12-2003, 01:05 PM
A friend of mine who was moving from England to the States had serious trouble bringing over that kind of stuff. I dunno if there is a similiar law/whatever in Canada but in the U.S. and England they had some funky restrictions on items over a certain value. I highly doubt it would be legal to import a lot of those cars and sell them. But I could be wrong, you'll have to look around you're government web sites I would guess.

Also, desil benz is rare? Jeez I see tons of em down here in the states, hard to belive they wouldn't send some up your way. :D

Hakkola
10-12-2003, 01:07 PM
The selling them part isn't a big deal, just wondering if it's possible, we usually keep our cars, I don't remember my parents ever selling one, except to people in our family.

Edit - the old ones aren't rare, I've only seen a couple newer, and only E-class. I know they sell Diesel S class in europe.

/////AMG
10-12-2003, 01:17 PM
I think you should go for the MERCEDES-BENZ 190E 2.3 COSWORTH. VERY RARE, Less than 2000 were broguth to the U.S.

If you can bring somethin gover, I would do that...Good Luck!

EstoMax
10-12-2003, 01:36 PM
a-class ? those are pretty small hehe

max

sandman
10-12-2003, 02:01 PM
ud b ok to bring it over im pretty sure, but u gotta pay 6.1% duty on the value of the car when u bought it, and 7% GST, and then insurance all u need is bill of sale, then get an out of province safety done, with that and insurance u can get registration and drive around, the only thinkg u need after that is a federal inspection, hwich cdn tire, stampede lexus toyota and ranchlands ford can do that for u, u need that within 45 days, and then if u take too long they bill 107 bux for each month ur over due
thas bout it i think?
also ull need a Recall Clearance Letter from MB at the time of the federal inspection

Hakkola
10-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I'm sure it will still all end up cheaper, The 190's are pretty sweet but I think we need a new car, already have one w124.

I went to mb.fi and they have an entire section for tax free cars so I took down the number to call them after the weekend.

Also http://www.mercedes-benz.fi/mercedes.html There are some strange models in the line, can someone tell me what they are exactly, ie: E400 CDI A is the CDI for deisels or what? Also C30TCDI AMG A seems interesting... Don't think we're interested in a C class but if that's a diesel amg it could be pretty cool.

Basically all the prices beside the models are Euro with tax, so take half off that then change to Canadian and that's what we'd have to pay.

Edit - anyone know the difference b/w s55 AMG and s55L AMG?

rage2
10-12-2003, 02:27 PM
S55L AMG is the long wheel base version of the S55. Not available in North America.

Sorry to say, but unless the car you're buying is 15 years old, there is NO way you can import it here. Except of course if you go through euro delivery, in which case it's a canadian spec car that's released over in europe for your enjoyment before getting shipped back to Canada. You can NOT convert a euro spec car to Canadian spec and expect transport canada to allow it here. That won't happen, no exceptions.

As for cars that are 15 years or older, it's still subject to duty + GST when it arrives.

A long long time ago, if you lived or worked abroad, you can bring back a car that's not certified in Canada. You can not sell the car though, if you do, the car must be either exported, or destroyed. Transport Canada has tightened up pretty much all the loopholes, so it's near impossible to bring anything over unless it's 15 years old.

Hakkola
10-12-2003, 02:35 PM
So you're saying we can't even bring over an e500????

How come I've seen peugeot's, I think it was anyway, might have been citroen or something, and it's maybe 2 years old?

Edit - just realized it was an Alfa Romeo I saw.

rage2
10-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
So you're saying we can't even bring over an e500????
If it's not from the US, then for sure no... not unless it was born as a Canadian Spec car. Or 15 years old.

Originally posted by Hakkola
How come I've seen peugeot's, I think it was anyway, might have been citroen or something, and it's maybe 2 years old?
I haven't seen a late model Citroen or Peugeot in Calgary. Of course, if you ran a race team, you can get temporary license and registration for competing in the Canadian rallies. Some of those cars managed to sneak away after the races and get registered in Canada :).

Of course if Transport Canada found out about it, you're going to lose your car (export or destroy). Pretty risky.

Hakkola
10-12-2003, 03:06 PM
I don't think the Alfa Romeo was from a race team, it was convertable and I don't think it was very fast, slower than my car for sure.

Hakkola
10-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Can anybody tell me about the warranty?

link785
10-14-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I haven't seen a late model Citroen or Peugeot in Calgary. Of course, if you ran a race team, you can get temporary license and registration for competing in the Canadian rallies. Some of those cars managed to sneak away after the races and get registered in Canada :).

Of course if Transport Canada found out about it, you're going to lose your car (export or destroy). Pretty risky.

I'd LOVE to own a Peugeot 206. Damn import laws :(