PDA

View Full Version : Post your Cell phone

swak
02-24-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm looking at getting a new phone.
Post what you have, and what you think of it.
(Considering eaither the curve or world edition blackberry, as i don't use the Mike features as much as i used to)

Mike i880.
Great durable phone, a little big, but never had any problems.
Clear and straight forward phone.
http://www.gbsinc.ca/images/Mike/mike_i880_handset_lg_closed.gif

...Let me know what you've got.

rumeo
02-24-2009, 05:52 PM
So I'm assuming you're with Telus, and want a Telus phone...

swak
02-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by rumeo
So I'm assuming you're with Telus, and want a Telus phone...

Yeah.

Ive been with telus for over 4 years now, and never had a problem, im in no need to change service providers.
But wouldn't turn down rogers or something eaither if they were willing to hook me up with a rad deal, as im on no contract right now.

...but right now telus has a sale on the world edition for $100 with a 3yr. Plus im sure i can get some free crap from being with them for as long as i have if i stick with them.

rumeo
02-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by swak

Yeah.

Ive been with telus for over 4 years now, and never had a problem, im in no need to change service providers.
But wouldn't turn down rogers or something eaither if they were willing to hook me up with a rad deal, as im on no contract right now.

...but right now telus has a sale on the world edition for $100 with a 3yr. Plus im sure i can get some free crap from being with them for as long as i have if i stick with them.

That you can, call up retentions and see what they can offer you for a plan, they can easily knock down the price of the phone as well. Go with the curve over the world edition if I were you...

Tik-Tok
02-24-2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.phonedog.com/r/c/6506-3963-167-175-250x275.jpg

Ummm... it has a keyboard on it, so I can text faster... and uhhhh... I've dropped it off an airplane wing, with barely a scratch.

em2ab
02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
World = no camera, bigger, works overseas
Curve = camera, smaller, works locally

I hate the World Edition but it has its business advantages, my boss is in India right now and we were emailing each other this morning.

So saying that, I have the Curve. Looks like this except I painted it orange.

http://www.phonemag.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/telus_blackberry_curve_8330.jpg

swak
02-24-2009, 06:18 PM

That you can, call up retentions and see what they can offer you for a plan, they can easily knock down the price of the phone as well. Go with the curve over the world edition if I were you...

From the response, i assume you work for telus?
Do you have any experiences with either? Or anything else you'd look into?

spikerS
02-24-2009, 06:27 PM
I work for telus mobility, I know the ins and outs of all the phones on the Telus network.

Personally, the best phone, in my opinion, would be the world phone or the curve.

but it comes down to personal preferance. if you settle on a couple phones, let me know which ones and i will let you know what to expect with each.

rumeo
02-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I find the world edition fairly bulky, I like the keypad a lot better on the curve, the camera is a big plus...

I have a GSM phone so the whole travelling part is a go for me.

Another reason I say get the the curve is because if you go outside of NA with the world edition the roaming charges are painful

adidas
02-24-2009, 06:30 PM
i got the curve 8310 to be exact and wouldnt change it for the world!

will update in a year or 2 to a newer blackberry!

swak
02-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Whats the difference between the Blackberry 8310 & 8330?
Both are curves.

em2ab
02-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Whats the difference between the Blackberry 8310 & 8330?
Both are curves.
Firmware. The 8310 doesn't support the same JSR-82 protocols as the 8330 and if I remember it might have Wi-Fi. Maybe not. It also has a different processor, I think the older ones used a slower ARM processor and the new Blackberrys are Intel? Man, I'm trying to remember this stuff from a long time ago....

toyboy88
02-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Another reason I say get the the curve is because if you go outside of NA with the world edition the roaming charges are painful

That make no sense, if your still on CDMA network both the curve/8800 WE have the exact same charges for roaming.

That's the point of the world edition, it has a dual-band sim card slot - so you can use prepaid if your traveling to avoid roaming charges like on a normal CDMA phone from Telus/Bell.

All Telus/Bell phones can roam in most other countries, for Telus/Bell "world edition" means a hybrid CDMA with a sim card slot as well.

rumeo
02-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah I think the 8330 does have a better processor, but no wifi

EK 2.0
02-24-2009, 11:24 PM
I have had a world edition for almost 18 months now with Telus...

And I can say it's THE best Berry I have ever owned...

CRXguy
02-25-2009, 12:05 AM
blackberrybold.jpg

spike98
02-25-2009, 12:52 AM
I owned a pearl then just upgraded to a curve. I was blown away by the the pearl as it was my first jump into a blackberry. Then i picked up the curve and it is the BEST CDMA phone you can get right now.

The palm pre will come out for Bell/Telus in the next couple of quarters if you wanna wait. It will be the only thing IMO that will compete with the CDMA curve. Untill a CDMA Bold comes out!!

Kardon
02-25-2009, 01:04 AM
I have owned a Telus 8830 for a while now. I've also used a pearl, and a curve.
I havent had a phone with such a good battery life in years. This is an old phone now, and the battery can still hold for 3 days. This is someone who sends around 3000-4000 text messages a month, im on it ALL the time. Great keyboard, the ink/lettering has began to wear off, but other than that I've never had an issue with it.

Some things to note, No camera, its alittle bigger than a curve, but thinner. I don't know if this means anything to you, but I've checked my phone, it states under the battery that it is MADE IN CANADA. The pearl was chinese, the 8900 curve malaysia, 8700 mexico, 83xx mexico or something. Point is, I got bored one day, and realized my 8830 was the only one that was built in canada. Im in construction too, and its held up great. Buy used, its a strong device, and its really expensive new.

ps: also owned a motorola Q, and a palm treo 700wx. Doesn't even come CLOSE to this phone.

IhateDomestic
02-25-2009, 01:28 AM
....stupid thread.

Go to phonescoop.com or google.com :dunno:

Boat
02-25-2009, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by IhateDomestic
....stupid thread.

Go to phonescoop.com or google.com :dunno:
Here is a more segmented market, since hes on a car forum he prob has close likes/dislikes with other members on this forum, so top rated cell phones may fit better for him here! Besides it takes away the boredom for a few minutes.

Anyways I have a shitty KRZR K1. I've had it for 10 months now and its just about dead(I treated it like crap =P)
No data plans/smart phones in the future for me just yet.
I'm a student so my dream phone right now is the samsung gravity!!

http://www.puremobile.ca/mmPUREMOBILE/Images/sam-t459gr-li-l.jpg

cityhunter2501
02-25-2009, 11:04 AM
if my company didnt give me a phone already I would be getting a Nokia E71

but for now I have a 8703e and a 8800 world edition. I preffer the 8703e way more though

swak
02-25-2009, 12:21 PM
8703e looks pretty rad actually...

Do you know which provider your company goes through?

cityhunter2501
02-25-2009, 12:43 PM
8703e looks pretty rad actually...

Do you know which provider your company goes through?

8703e is on telus
8800 WE is on bell

the 8703e is a tank compared to any other phones I owned.

swak
02-26-2009, 06:43 PM
anyone have any experiences with the blackberry 8350i?
This is the Mike blackberry.

psycoticclown
02-26-2009, 06:58 PM
My phone:
http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2008/crave/hh/63003480/htc_diamond_sc.jpg

Paid way too much for it, got it like 4 months before it was released here, didn't think it was going to come out here at all and now Rogers has it for $199 with contract :(

My next phone:
http://www.gearcrave.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/sony-ericsson-xperia-x1.jpg

nusneak
02-26-2009, 06:59 PM
I have the Samsung u740 Double Flip. [pic (http://www.bell.ca/web/common/en/all_regions/catalog_images/large/66064.jpg)]

It is pretty good for writing text messages since it has the full qwerty keyboard, although the software for switching the screen from horizontal to vertical could be greatly improved.
Mainly the horizontal function is only used when writing text messages, which is a pain. Sometimes if you have the screen open sideways, then you need to do a certain thing, and switch to vertical, then sometimes you loose what you were working on.
Also only some menu's are available when the phone is open the regular (vertical) direction. :thumbsdow

Overall it's not bad, the best part of the deal is I have a super good plan from a DK member that works for Bell. (A+ for Phil in Edmonton)