Koreana BBQ

17-7400 MacLeod Trail SE
Calgary, AB T2H 0L9
(403) 452-1020‎

Food: 4/5
Service: 3.5/5
Atmosphere: 3/5
Overall: 3.5/5

I decided to go here based on good comments from a buddy of mine. When we showed up around 8pm, there was a huge group there and all the booths were full. Good sign if the place is busy.

The menu is half Japanese and half Korean. We ordered sushi to start. The spicy tuna ($12?) was really good. The spicy mayo was dappled on top of the pieces to give it a better kick (much like Sushi Boat's). We also had tempura shrimp and veg which was nice and crisp ($12?).

This was the first time my fiance has ever had Korean BBQ so I had to warn him that a lot of meat will be coming. The meal included cold noodles and a spicy seafood soup. The noodles were mild in flavor. The seafood soup was good but I got bored of it when the main feature showed up. We chose the Combo platter "A" ($50) for the BBQ. It had four kinds of meat: pork ribs, beef, marinated pork and marinated chicken (Bulgogi). The staff brought kimchi, bean paste, bean sprouts and fermented beans to go with the meat along with steamed rice and lettuce for making wraps. The waitress put the beef and ribs on the grill for you to start. It gives you a good time to chat with your date as you grill the food. The ribs were a bit tough to chew. They provide you with scissors to cut them into reasonable sized pieces so you're not shoving the whole thing in your mouth (classy for a date!). The beef was really tasty and tender. The chicken was a bit spicy which I quite enjoyed. The pork was a bit fatty so we left it on the grill longer to render the fat a bit. I was extremely full by then so my fiance got to eat the rest.

There are quite a few staff members hovering around and will adjust the flame on the grill if it looks like you're burning everything. They don't chat it up much. The owner was visiting with everyone and she seemed quite nice.

We enjoyed a few Asahi and Hite beers which matched well with the grilled meats.

I don't remember the prices of the sushi or the beers since its been a month since we went there.

I had a great time even though I smelled like a BBQ afterwards. I want to go back again to try some of the other dishes.

:thumbsup:

signature7
02-24-2009, 11:14 PM
reservations needed?

gatorade
03-22-2009, 02:01 AM
everyone I've been there its been dead but I've always gone early