PDA

View Full Version : Advice on costs of a new Puppy

5hift
02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm looking at getting a puppy soon, and almost every one has been checked at the vet and had at least its first shots.

Now I've found one specifically that I really like, but she hasnt had a vet examination or any shots at all. Is it dumb to get a puppy that hasnt been examined by a vet, if she looks healthy and is very playful and active?

Lastly I know it varies from vet to vet and probably varies a bit by breed, but how much am I looking at for the puppy's first shots nowdays?

Kona9
02-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Get all the info you can prior to getting any dog!!

I have a purebred Boston Terrier from a very reputable breeder. Both my dogs parents are champion show dogs and are very healthy.

Unfortunately my dog just started having issues with a luxating patella. (knee pops out now and again) I found out through research before I got my dog, that this issue is common within the breed but does not happen too often.

All I am getting at is, educate yourself to no end about what you are getting yourself into with a dog. They are amazing pets when dealt with accordingly.

My vet is pretty darn good! Give them a shot even for just questions. Fish Creek Pet Hospital 403 873-1700.

CaptainReboot
02-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Make sure you get papers for the checkup to show what kind of health it is in. Get as much info as you can on it, the parents, their health, etc.. I'm assuming this is from a breeder?

I can't remember how much it was for our dog, but the first year is quite a bit. I think after the first set of shots, there are two more for the year or something. And then after that it is once every year.

The first year is expensive, especially if you are spaying/neutering the dog, but the costs are well worth it.

clem24
02-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Ok... Seriously, if cost is a concern to you... DON'T GET A DOG. Just because a vet says your puppy is healthy doesn't mean anything. As pointed above, get from a reputable breeder, not a back yard breeder (i.e. the Bargain Finder). Do your research. Know what kind of hereditary issues your dog is prone to.

Finally, if cost is a concern to you, DON'T GET A DOG. Oh wait I already mentioned that. The time and pain of puppy hood and even adult dog hood will cost you more than anything you'll ever have to pay out of your pocket.

Cost should be the least of your considerations. Ooops I said it again.

Not to be an asshole, but i really feel I need to weed out people that think costs is a make/break deal for getting a dog. If you really want to know, it's cost of your puppy (good dogs from reputable sources go for $800-1000), food ($70 every month or 2, depending on size, will decrease later), $120 per vet visit, usually once when you get dog, then once a year, $600-700 to spay/neuter, < $100 to license/tags/leash, $50-60 for a kennel, $100-$300 for other accessories like toys (puppies go through toys like no tomorrow), beds, misc, $70 to cut/groom every 3 months, $xxxxxxx to replace furniture/goods/house/walls chewed up and destroyed.. And these costs are just the tip of the iceberg. Don't forget training classes, books, possibly day care, kenneling while you're away on vacation, unexpected vet issues (like reactions, hit by car, etc...).

n1zm0
02-25-2009, 02:04 PM
^ kinda off topic but i was watching a show on dogs on discovery and from all the centuries of inbreeding and just being around human beings, dogs have cancer and many common illnesses/diseases that were most likely passed on from us.

but +1 for $$$, when i was younger we got a german short haired pointer, just cause you know, one day just got him. me and my brother said the usual 'ohh i promise i'll clean up after him, feed him, walk him' etc. it really became a headache because after getting attached to a dog then you realize you cant afford it, money/spending time with it and especially when going on vacations as said above (those can get really costly), it sucks, feels as if you almost failed at being a caregiver/parent of some sort.

5hift
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Ok... Seriously, if cost is a concern to you... DON'T GET A DOG. Just because a vet says your puppy is healthy doesn't mean anything. As pointed above, get from a reputable breeder, not a back yard breeder (i.e. the Bargain Finder). Do your research. Know what kind of hereditary issues your dog is prone to.
Finally, if cost is a concern to you, DON'T GET A DOG. Oh wait I already mentioned that. The time and pain of puppy hood and even adult dog hood will cost you more than anything you'll ever have to pay out of your pocket.
Not to be an asshole, but i really feel I need to weed out people that think costs is a make/break deal for getting a dog. If you really want to know, it's cost of your puppy (good dogs from reputable sources go for $800-1000), food ($70 every month or 2, depending on size, will decrease later), $120 per vet visit, usually once when you get dog, then once a year, $600-700 to spay/neuter, &lt; $100 to license/tags/leash, $50-60 for a kennel, $100-$300 for other accessories like toys (puppies go through toys like no tomorrow), beds, misc, $70 to cut/groom every 3 months, $xxxxxxx to replace furniture/goods/house/walls chewed up and destroyed.. And these costs are just the tip of the iceberg. Don't forget training classes, books, possibly day care, kenneling while you're away on vacation, unexpected vet issues (like reactions, hit by car, etc...).

Maybe you should go back and actually read my question. Asking how much something generally should cost doesn’t imply that cost is a concern to me. Neither does trying to figure how much money everything is going to cost after the cost of the puppy: I would call that planning properly. Cost is not make or break for me at all, I’m trying to make sure I have more than enough put aside just so money is not a problem. I’ve also have had several dogs before. The fact that I’ve never gotten one at such a young age where all the early shots/treatments were left up to me combined with the fact it’s been about 4 years so I know prices/costs have changed, I was trying to gather info .

My actual question was regarding the fact that up until now, every puppy I have seen, has at least had a first set of shots as well as been generally examined by a vet. Now I’ve come across a puppy that I really like but she is 13 weeks old, and despite not having her scheduled shots at 8 weeks, 12 weeks, nor having had a vet exam, she has been taken out for walks and exposed to several other dogs. I was asking if this was a risk and she had been exposed to too many potential health problems, or if it’s not smart to just get a puppy without a vet examination (I realize a vet doesn’t catch everything, but more than I would).

Kona9
02-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

Maybe you should go back and actually read my question. Asking how much something generally should cost doesn’t imply that cost is a concern to me. Neither does trying to figure how much money everything is going to cost after the cost of the puppy: I would call that planning properly. Cost is not make or break for me at all, I’m trying to make sure I have more than enough put aside just so money is not a problem. I’ve also have had several dogs before. The fact that I’ve never gotten one at such a young age where all the early shots/treatments were left up to me combined with the fact it’s been about 4 years so I know prices/costs have changed, I was trying to gather info .

My actual question was regarding the fact that up until now, every puppy I have seen, has at least had a first set of shots as well as been generally examined by a vet. Now I’ve come across a puppy that I really like but she is 13 weeks old, and despite not having her scheduled shots at 8 weeks, 12 weeks, nor having had a vet exam, she has been taken out for walks and exposed to several other dogs. I was asking if this was a risk and she had been exposed to too many potential health problems, or if it’s not smart to just get a puppy without a vet examination (I realize a vet doesn’t catch everything, but more than I would).

PLay it safe. If you really like the dog, be ready to pay the initial costs of the vaccinations. (the first ones I am unaware of general costing) My dog just got his latest vaccinations yesterday. Both needles and some skin cream came to 60 bucks. As mentioned, call the number I gave you. My dogs doc is the owner of the place. Natasha Mutlow. Excellent place!

civic roller
02-25-2009, 02:37 PM

I just got a puppy myself and you are absolutly right planning the cost around it is a good thing to do. My Shiba came with his frist set of shots and I've been calling around to a few different Vets in the NW area, and its amazing how the cost varies from Vet to Vet. He second set of shots ranged from $90-$200.

I think that one thing that you have to be really carefully of, because the puppy is 13 weeks old and hasn't been giving any shots and has been around other dogs, is the Parvo virus. It affects all dogs, especially puppies.

Kona9
02-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by civic roller

I think that one thing that you have to be really carefully of, because the puppy is 13 weeks old and hasn't been giving any shots and has been around other dogs, is the Parvo virus. It affects all dogs, especially puppies.

THIS!

(and it is NASTY)

GOnSHO
02-25-2009, 02:54 PM
first exam is normally 75.00 and Parvo shot (24.50) - 100.00ish..
2nd time in is Parvo shot and Bordatella shot - 49.00 + GST
3rd time in is Parvo shot and Rabies Shot - 49.00 + GST

as well, i went out lastnight and spend 115 in like 5 mins on food, collar, leash and couple toys..

rony_espana
02-25-2009, 02:59 PM
If you do get a puppy, get health insurance or whatever its called for it. That would have saved me about $3000 in surgery fees.... :eek:

4bier
02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
cost also depends on size and breed

kenny
02-25-2009, 04:03 PM

The fact that this puppy hasn't had its first shots is indicative of its upbringing. Where did you see this puppy? Try to find out why it hasn't had its shots. You may uncover some other stuff about the puppy as you ask more questions about how it was bred/raised. Even if all the health issues check out you may face behavioral issues with this puppy in the future.

syeve
02-25-2009, 04:15 PM
I think the reason some people are so touchy on here (for good reason imo) is the "idea" of having a dog and the reality of a dog are quite different. There are countless examples, but but I don't feel like nagging.

I see far too many dogs show up at the SPCA at 12-24 months with the owners throwing up their hands...I just don't want "it" anymore. Check the marketplace on here for christs sake...FS: puppy...

Anyways, IF you do decide to get a dog, Go to a breeder. Do not go to a puppy mill or a petstore please.

Thanks.

Tik-Tok
02-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
first exam is normally 75.00 and Parvo shot (24.50) - 100.00ish..
2nd time in is Parvo shot and Bordatella shot - 49.00 + GST
3rd time in is Parvo shot and Rabies Shot - 49.00 + GST

as well, i went out lastnight and spend 115 in like 5 mins on food, collar, leash and couple toys..

Also be prepared to shell out money for proper training classes. Don't assume you can train your dog yourself, or by reading books. Do it right, so you A) have a well trained dog, and B) give it some socialization during the classes.

Also, in regards to the Rabies shot... I would get blood titers done first. I only mention this, because when we gave our dog a rabies shot, he turned a little nasty for 3-4 months after.

Normally he's happy as hell, little kids run up to him, and pull his ears, and he doesn't mind at all, but after the rabies shot, he got mean for awhile. Wouldn't even let us clip his nails without growling and snapping.

He's back to his old self now (it's been 18 months), but we won't give him one again. (He's almost never exposed to situations where he would get rabies anyways)

sxtothe240
02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
OP, you should talk to the breeder that you're getting the puppy from. Ask them for a health garentee on paper, usually 6months to 1 year.

Also, take some time and research. if that breed has some known health issues, make sure they get those checked at a vet before-hand. (ie/eyesight issues/bone structure, etc)

Kona9
02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Also be prepared to shell out money for proper training classes. Don't assume you can train your dog yourself, or by reading books. Do it right, so you A) have a well trained dog, and B) give it some socialization during the classes.

I am going to have to partially call you on this. Somewhat due to the fact that once again it comes down to the breed. Although for the most part, one can train a dog, given they focus on Persistence and reward and establish the alpha role as soon as possible. Dogs will test you until they know for a fact who runs the show. Instinctively they feel it is automatically their position until you correct them.

Some people agree with Cesar Milans ways of training, some people don't. I find his quote of him "rehabilitating dogs, and training humans" to be quite true in his practice. Seeing him with his/clients pitbulls amazes me. Society and the media have ruined what kind of dogs pitbulls and most bully breed dogs can really be. Too many people get tough looking dogs to make their image that much more, when really they are doing more damage than good just for having a rough and tough status.

Dogs instictively read people very well!!! I think it's about time people actually learn how to read dogs before running out and only entertaining the idea of "having" one.

00sir2
02-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by rony_espana
If you do get a puppy, get health insurance or whatever its called for it. That would have saved me about $3000 in surgery fees.... :eek:

I'll second the health insurance. Ours is about $30.00 per month and it covers up to $20,000.00 in surgeries, medication etc.

Jeremiah
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM

Not to be an asshole, but i really feel I need to weed out people that think costs is a make/break deal for getting a dog. If you really want to know, it's cost of your puppy (good dogs from reputable sources go for $800-1000), food ($70 every month or 2, depending on size, will decrease later), $120 per vet visit, usually once when you get dog, then once a year, $600-700 to spay/neuter, &lt; $100 to license/tags/leash, $50-60 for a kennel, $100-$300 for other accessories like toys (puppies go through toys like no tomorrow), beds, misc, $70 to cut/groom every 3 months, $xxxxxxx to replace furniture/goods/house/walls chewed up and destroyed.. And these costs are just the tip of the iceberg. Don't forget training classes, books, possibly day care, kenneling while you're away on vacation, unexpected vet issues (like reactions, hit by car, etc...).

Hey Clem what makes you think that all breeders in the Bargain Finder are bad?

I bought both my dogs from Reputable breeders that advertise with the bargain finder and have had no problems whatsoever. I think people should stay away from "breeders" that advertise on free websites like kijiji and craigslist.

Rstar
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Vets in Calgary tend to charge a pretty handsome premium compared to vets in more rural areas.

Anyway, here is the ballpark of my costs.

Registered Cairn Terrier with first shots - $800
Getting her fixed - $330 ish
Registered with the city - $25/yr
rabies and other vaccinations $125
Food costs for my 18 pound dog - $25/month
toys & misc treats - $100/year
spray to clean carpet - $20
stuff she wrecked (eg; girlfriends shoes) $100
puppy training class $60
leash & collars $15

Grand 1 year total of $1750
Thats pretty ballpark and from a vet in Red Deer

clem24
02-25-2009, 04:52 PM

Maybe you should go back and actually read my question. Asking how much something generally should cost doesn’t imply that cost is a concern to me.

Why don't YOU re-read your post, and then re-read the post I just quoted. I am going to have to make some assumptions and implications because your post sounds like just about every other "should I get a dog" post. :banghead: Anyways, sorry if I pissed you off, but I think we have to same goal - keep dogs out of people not prepared to own one, and out of shelters. In the future, if you want a better response, POST MORE INFORMATION.

Anyway, my PERSONAL opinion on this is that I seriously think shots are overrated. I stopped taking my mini schnauzer (see avatar) for shots because she develops an allergic reaction to it. And... The vet doesn't give a shit. Because vets are out to do one thing: make money. They don't give a fuck... They listen to their heartbeat, take their temp, and put them hands on them and in 2 minutes and $100 later, says "yup she's healthy". :banghead:

I am not one of those conspiracy advocate weirdos, but the fact is that some of the diseases that they are being protected against just isn't very prevalent in Alberta (i.e. rabbies).

And correct me if I am wrong, but unless another dog has actually bitten and totally swapped fluids, I really don't see how much of those bad diseases can be caught, esp. just for taking a dog for a walk. I mean, yeah they smell other dogs shit and sniff other dogs' butts, but I would think diseases can just jump from one dog to another.

The breeder of my other dog (Airedale) breeds award winning show dogs. She gave my dog 1 shot when I picked her up, and she says you basically don't need any more. She also agrees with my opinion of yearly shots/check ups are overrated.

Anyway, it's simple. If you don't feel at ease, walk away. It's a 13 week old puppy. EVERY puppy is cute and easy to fall in love with. You'll think about this one for awhile, but go look at another one, and you'll just as easily forget this one. And you still haven't mentioned if this is a reputable breeder or just a backyard breeder. By talking to them, you should be able to get a sense of whether you trust them or not. But as previously mentioned, sleep on it, and then go contact a REAL breeder about pure bred puppies. Then see if you decision isn't swayed.

Jeremiah
02-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Rstar
Vets in Calgary tend to charge a pretty handsome premium compared to vets in more rural areas.

Anyway, here is the ballpark of my costs.

Registered Cairn Terrier with first shots - $800
Getting her fixed - $330 ish
Registered with the city - $25/yr
rabies and other vaccinations $125
Food costs for my 18 pound dog - $25/month
toys &amp; misc treats - $100/year
spray to clean carpet - $20
stuff she wrecked (eg; girlfriends shoes) $100
puppy training class $60
leash &amp; collars $15

Grand 1 year total of $1750
Thats pretty ballpark and from a vet in Red Deer

Good luck with getting your dog fixed for $330 :nut: ...

A Leash and Collar will cost more than that, rabies + vaccinations will cost more than that. Also include getting her Microchipped.

We just had our dog Neutered and it came to about $500 all in with microchip, pre-evaluation, meds + whatever else had to be done.

jonnycat
02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

Unfortunately my dog just started having issues with a luxating patella. (knee pops out now and again) I found out through research before I got my dog, that this issue is common within the breed but does not happen too often.

This just happened with my dog, blew it out jumping off the couch. She stretched the ligaments so much that surgery was required. $1200. She's almost back to 100% now and about as retarded as ever.

civic roller
02-25-2009, 05:06 PM

And correct me if I am wrong, but unless another dog has actually bitten and totally swapped fluids, I really don't see how much of those bad diseases can be caught, esp. just for taking a dog for a walk. I mean, yeah they smell other dogs shit and sniff other dogs' butts, but I would think diseases can just jump from one dog to another.

The breeder of my other dog (Airedale) breeds award winning show dogs. She gave my dog 1 shot when I picked her up, and she says you basically don't need any more. She also agrees with my opinion of yearly shots/check ups are overrated.

Parvo is a diseases that a puppy can pick up just by going for a walk and smelling other dogs shits or even smelling your shoes if you have stepped in shit so IMO the parvo shot is a MUST. My friends Begal came down with a case of parvo when it was a puppy and it scary.

As for your opinion on shots being overated- I'll have to agree with you there. I have 2 dogs, we had to put one of them down last year, who both only when and got their 3 sets of booster shots when they were puppies, and they are both 17 years old. We never had a single problem with either of them.
Now I'm not saying that I am going to do the same with my Shiba, cause I just feel that pure breeds are more prone to health problems than a Xbreed, but thats just my opinion

Kritafo
02-25-2009, 05:10 PM
I am with you Clem

I agree, if you want a quality dog go to a listed Breeder from the Alberta Kennel Club. Your Airedale, my Airedale come from very reputable breeders. If you don't care what your looking for why not just a human society dog.

I am not all hyped up for shots either, but if you take them to a boarding house they want up to date shots, that is the only reason we do shots.

We just had our dog fixed (female) and micro chipped last spring the cost was $336.00 from Douglas Square Pet Clinic.

Food depends on what you are feeding, we are spending about $50.00/month, plus treats.

I do my own grooming and nail trimming but the clippers cost me $200.00.

Plus all the toys.. cause I can't freaking go past the toy aisle without something she can't live without. I make all my own collar and leash sets so we save there. lol!

Scope951
02-25-2009, 06:21 PM

Why don't YOU re-read your post, and then re-read the post I just quoted. I am going to have to make some assumptions and implications because your post sounds like just about every other &quot;should I get a dog&quot; post. :banghead: Anyways, sorry if I pissed you off, but I think we have to same goal - keep dogs out of people not prepared to own one, and out of shelters. In the future, if you want a better response, POST MORE INFORMATION.

I don't believe you need to be so hostile in your posts, when you clicked reply it was with the intention to AID the OP rather then scare him away from owning a pet I hope.

Although he may not be fully educated on the subject, that is why he is asking the questions right? I would prefer he seeked help like he has now instead of him actually already owning the dog and playing catch up with problems.

He has given you an opportunity to send him in the right direction so lets do that:thumbsup:

bignerd
02-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Are vaccinations over used? Yes.
Are the first two sets of puppy shots (given before 8 weeks of age) critical-YES!

There are many diseases, parvo in particular that will quickly kill a puppy if contracted-you can bring this disease home on your shoes! Two simple shots can prevent a lot of heartache down the road. Rabies, while optional, is required if you travel to the US as well for some people living in rural areas with coyotes and skunks may be more at risk for these types of diseases.

Again, many disease are kept at minimal numbers/low infection rates because people DO vaccinate against them. I vaccinate my dog fully because I am at the dog park, at dog shows, doing agility etc... and come into contact with many many dogs who are perhaps not cared for as well as mine.

I spend a lot of money (most likely am over 10K) on my dog and dogs are my hobby-it is silly for me to pass up a small vaccination and pay a serious price-losing my pet whom I love and my investment.

Do you need a check up on a new puppy? Depends, are you getting the puppy from a reputable breeder who keeps a clean home/kennel, the parents looked healthy, they do health testing before breeding etc?? Probably not.

Is the puppy coming from a pet store where the care is provided by minimum wage employees and conditions are cramped and perhaps not as good as they could be? Yes, I would get a check up.

That being said, a vet can detect many things not visible to the naked eye on a check up-i.e. heart murmurs, hernia's etc...

Brutucus
02-25-2009, 11:23 PM
If you want to reduce some costs on the long run.
1) buy nail clippers and cut your own dog nails $10 bucks
2) Cut your dog hair, save you $50 bucks
3) buy a rope toy, honestly my dog has destroyed every toy I brought him or buy a toy that is super durable. rope toys are like $4-8 depending on the sizes.
4) keep your dog clean, be on top of the grooming/cleaning.
5) buy tooth brush + dog toothpaste= $15, hair brush $8 bucks.
6) Doggy proof your house and train your dog.

atgilchrist
02-25-2009, 11:45 PM
+1 on only getting a puppy from a breeder. It's best when you can meet the dogs parents, and talk to the breeder about their vet's checkups, etc. it will take some searching (I had to drive up to Pigeon Lake to pick up our puppy last August), but well worth the extra energy and cost IMO.

Oh, and don't take the "Sit Happens" obedience classes. While the clicker method does work, I think it only got our dog to listen when treats are in your hand, the dog doesn't learn to respect you. DO go talk to the guys at unleashed (14 St & 26 Ave SW). The know their shit.

tsi_neal
02-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Doesnt anyone believe in SPCA dogs around here? There are so many GOOD dogs that get dropped off there for so many reasons. These are quality dogs that NEED homes. When you pick them up they will be 100% up to date on all medical issues. Also they are significantly cheaper than any breeder. I urge you to check out the animal shelters (cochrane and calgary) before you go to any breeder.

Heff
02-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Serious response:

Figure about 2 grand in the first year - especially if you're getting a female.

After that, its situational.

5hift
02-26-2009, 01:20 PM
I apologize about the length, I'm trying to address every response in one post.

Thank you for all your responses, both helpful and critical, I realize everyone is posting for the sake of all the dogs that get fucked over and left in shelters.

Since its been missed in all my posts, I'd like to re-state that I have already owned several dogs, specficially Rotties. I have no problem training dogs and have never taken my dogs to an organized training, yet have always have very obiedient dogs. I know how to take care of them. My questions were because I had never gotten a dog at this young of a age, where the shots and stuff were left up to me. I was also cautious because what kind of breeders/owners wouldnt take a newborn to the vet and let it miss its first two scheduled shots. Its also been 3-4 years since I've had a dog so I was guessing costs had skyrocketed and wanted a general idea of what to expect.

To answer the questions specifically about this dog or what I'm looking for, I live in a condo so I have to get a smaller dog. I wanted a dog that was small, non shedding, allergy friendly, could still keep up with me on a run, not fragile, able to rough house, not break its leg jumping off the couch, not compltely fucked looking. The best I came up with in my search was a Mini Schnauzer (if anyone can suggestion better I'm still looking). The only knock on Schnauzers was that they can bark a lot so I also was considering a Schnoodle (Schnauzer/Poodle) cross, as I've recently learned poodles are the most intelligent and easy to train dog.

This dog without shots was a 13 week old Schnoodle, but I backed out because the owner/breeder changed her answer she gave me on two separate occations I talked to her and it didnt seem right. She also didnt have answers to some of the questions I was asked here, that I asked her as well.

To respond to the SPCA suggestions, that was my first move. I cant take a large dog and that is 90% of what they have. The remaining are rarely a non shedding smaller breed and if they are, for some reason they charge a premium to adopt a small dog that makes it the same cost as a new puppy. If you want to adopt a puppy from there, its almost 400 for even a native reserve rescue mutt puppy, and plus you are forced to take a retarded puppy class, and you have no idea how big the puppy will get. I've adopted dogs from there in the past, but now honestly I got the feeling it was run more like a business trying to make profit... I know they are trying to help animals, but no one is paying 400 for a rescued native reserve mixed breed puppy, when you can get a purebred from a breeder for ~500.

atgilchrist
02-26-2009, 01:47 PM
I live in a condo as well and we got a cockapoo (cocker spaniel/poodle cross), super smart and doesn't bark at all. We love him.

Dunno if wanted to look at those:dunno:

5hift
02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
^^
do you have pics of him?

atgilchrist
02-26-2009, 01:59 PM
He was about 3 months old here:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/atgilchrist/n120604262_33226354_5272.jpg

clem24
02-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Bang on re. the schnauzer. My schnauzer is incredibly smart, unlike my relatively dumb Airedale. She's also very sturdy. But she barks a lot (and also "talks" a lot), and of course, my Airedale also learned how to bark like she does. She also does really well in a small space, and is sometimes (more like usually) happy to not get a walk, unlike the energetic Airedale.

Be patient and keep looking for your perfect dog. Best of luck.

http://members.shaw.ca/clemsmodels/pics/beyond/Clem1.jpg

Kona9
02-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Bang on re. the schnauzer. My schnauzer is incredibly smart, unlike my relatively dumb Airedale. She's also very sturdy. But she barks a lot (and also &quot;talks&quot; a lot), and of course, my Airedale also learned how to bark like she does. She also does really well in a small space, and is sometimes (more like usually) happy to not get a walk, unlike the energetic Airedale.

http://members.shaw.ca/clemsmodels/pics/beyond/Clem1.jpg

Nice Shot and dog!! :thumbsup:

tsi_neal
02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
To respond to the SPCA suggestions, that was my first move. I cant take a large dog and that is 90% of what they have. The remaining are rarely a non shedding smaller breed and if they are, for some reason they charge a premium to adopt a small dog that makes it the same cost as a new puppy. If you want to adopt a puppy from there, its almost 400 for even a native reserve rescue mutt puppy, and plus you are forced to take a retarded puppy class, and you have no idea how big the puppy will get. I've adopted dogs from there in the past, but now honestly I got the feeling it was run more like a business trying to make profit... I know they are trying to help animals, but no one is paying 400 for a rescued native reserve mixed breed puppy, when you can get a purebred from a breeder for ~500.

First I understand what your getting at, so dont take this the wrong way as its not a flame.

Anyways the dog that i have now I got from the SPCA, all her shots, spayed, bag of food, and a few other things included was $370 with tax. If you ask me thats about 1/3 of what you could get any dog for when you include the shots and the spaying, I mean they need to make money to keep the doors open but noone is getting rich here. My dog is a reserve dog and I couldnt be happier. Mutts are totally underratted, no stupider or uglier than purebreds and they are less prone to a lot of issues that plauge purebreds.

5hift
02-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
He was about 3 months old here:

He is really cute looks like a fun little guy. I might take a look at these as well, thanks for the suggestion. How old/big is he now?

Bang on re. the schnauzer. My schnauzer is incredibly smart, unlike my relatively dumb Airedale. She's also very sturdy. But she barks a lot (and also &quot;talks&quot; a lot), and of course, my Airedale also learned how to bark like she does. She also does really well in a small space, and is sometimes (more like usually) happy to not get a walk, unlike the energetic Airedale.

Is the barking at a level where it would draw complaints in a condo? Its dog friendly, but if my dog is barking all day obviously people will complain. How is yours around the house, I think you mentioned you live in a smaller place as well?

Originally posted by tsi_neal

First I understand what your getting at, so dont take this the wrong way as its not a flame.

Anyways the dog that i have now I got from the SPCA, all her shots, spayed, bag of food, and a few other things included was $370 with tax. If you ask me thats about 1/3 of what you could get any dog for when you include the shots and the spaying, I mean they need to make money to keep the doors open but noone is getting rich here. My dog is a reserve dog and I couldnt be happier. Mutts are totally underratted, no stupider or uglier than purebreds and they are less prone to a lot of issues that plauge purebreds.

I have nothing against mixed breed dogs but the problem with a Mutt is you have no idea how big it will get, if its a non shedding or crazy shedding breed. You dont know what level of intelligence or temperment to expect. When you know the breed of the dog, you know what to expect down to common health problems.

Another thing I hate about the SPCA is the extremely young age at which they spay/neuter the puppies. I realize they are just trying to prevent overpopulation, but they do it at much younger age than any vet would reccomend and it is shown to effect the development of the puppy.

And what I dont understand is why it costs ~$125 to adopt a large mature dog from them, but ~$300 to adopt a small mature dog from them? They are trying to take advantage that small dogs are not only turned in less, but the demand for them is greater.

atgilchrist
02-26-2009, 04:31 PM

He is really cute looks like a fun little guy. I might take a look at these as well, thanks for the suggestion. How old/big is he now?

He's 8 months old now and about 23 lbs. He's pretty much done growing.

Here's the breeder if you're interested. they breed Shnauzer pups as well. http://www.kennelupdogs.com/K9Kennels3.html

tsi_neal
02-26-2009, 05:10 PM

I have nothing against mixed breed dogs but the problem with a Mutt is you have no idea how big it will get, if its a non shedding or crazy shedding breed. You dont know what level of intelligence or temperment to expect. When you know the breed of the dog, you know what to expect down to common health problems.

Another thing I hate about the SPCA is the extremely young age at which they spay/neuter the puppies. I realize they are just trying to prevent overpopulation, but they do it at much younger age than any vet would reccomend and it is shown to effect the development of the puppy.

And what I dont understand is why it costs ~$125 to adopt a large mature dog from them, but ~$300 to adopt a small mature dog from them? They are trying to take advantage that small dogs are not only turned in less, but the demand for them is greater.

I hear ya about them getting fixed too young. My only complaint about my current dog is that she got spayed at something stupid like 12 weeks. Id have much preferred getting it done after her first heat...

I cant remember the adoption portion of the price I payed but i thought it was higher than 125. She is a big girl, about 70lbs at 9 months. When we got her it was a known that the mother was pure bred (or close to it) great pyrenese, so there was no question that she was going to be a larger dog.

Anyways good luck finding the right puppy.

HRD2PLZ
02-26-2009, 06:16 PM
I just want to make mention again how important it is to select a good breeder, it certainly doesn't guarantee that your dog will be free of health issues, but it can certainly minimize them, especially if the dog is from healthy bloodlines and a breeder who does health testing beforehand. I had a puppy last year who passed away from genetic health problems due to poor breeding.

I'd also recommend pet insurance, for both my Boxers I pay around $100/month. If I had health insurance with my first pup, I would have been able to recover roughly $3000 that I had spent in emergency care for him before he passed. You can also cover plans that cover regular check ups, oral care, etc.

I had my youngest pup neutered in December, all said and done it was about $600, even though he already came microchipped from the breeder.

Big +1 for Fish Creek Pet Hospital, my vet there is awesome! He has gone above and beyond for me in the past with one of my Boxers. He was worried about a condition that he might have and ended up doing 3 different tests on him for no charge :thumbsup:

I can't quite remember what I spent on dog stuff when I got my first puppy, probably around $600 with the crate, food, toys, beds, leash and collar, etc.

Good luck and have fun :)

bignerd
02-26-2009, 07:23 PM
City of Calgary also adopts out animals that are picked up as strays and never claimed-you can look on the city website under animal services.

Yes good pets can be found at the shelter and they come with their shots/spaying/neutering and their first check up (as long as you take them to a participating vet office within 30 days or something similar, been a while since I adopted my cat there.)

Also if you find a specific smaller breed you want, google and see if there are any local rescue groups, sometimes the have younger dogs or pups also etc...

clem24
02-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Is the barking at a level where it would draw complaints in a condo? Its dog friendly, but if my dog is barking all day obviously people will complain. How is yours around the house, I think you mentioned you live in a smaller place as well?

I live in a house with a big yard. What I was getting at is that she's actually ok without a walk some days. She's a total house/indoor dog. In the morning, I have to dump her out of bed and force her out the door.

As for the barking, it can vary. The Schnauzer won't bark just for the heck for it (she's too smart for that). She barks at the doorbell, when she hears the garage door open, at other dogs, when she's playing (yeah she growls and makes weird noises non-stop when she plays), and she barks at the Airedale if the Airedale is bugging her, but again, she won't bark randomly. Otherwise she stays quiet. Most dogs you can train to shut up, but I've tried for 6 years and I've given up :D

Also, her bark is very high pitched, which tends to really travel and would probably not please neighbours. On the contrary, my sister's schnauzer has a really low voice, but he's also male. I also want to note not all schnauzers are like mine. But they are more predisposed to this kind of behaviour, so your chances of getting a similar dog would be higher than if you went with a different breed.

nate007
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
We live in a condo and our mini-schnauzer knows the difference between a regular phone ring and the one when someone is buzzing to be let in. He goes nuts with anticipation until they get to our door and then barks his head off. He also barks when he hears our neighbors open their doors. Other than that he is usually pretty quiet unless we are playing.

After 3 years of unsuccessfully trying to stop him from barking when people came over, we broke down a few weeks ago and got him a spray collar. Best $80 we ever spent. After 2 visitor episodes he was almost completely quiet. He'll still do that growling under his breath thing, but he'll never bark more than twice, and most of the time we don't even turn it on, because just having it on deters him enough.

5hift
03-02-2009, 03:22 PM
I thought I'd see what you guys think about adopting an older dog.

As someone mentioned there are breed specifc adoption agencies.

I'm looking at adopting a 4 year old unaltered male purebreed Mini-Schnauzer that is with a busy couple with 2 young kids. He spends most his day in a crate and doesnt get walks. They dont understand why he barks and gets too excited when he sees other dogs/new people. He seems like a really sweet dog, just gets no attention and is usually alone. I'm pretty sure a daily long walk, some attention and possibly neutering him will solve all the problems.

Any opinions?

Kona9
03-02-2009, 03:26 PM
I thought I'd see what you guys think about adopting an older dog.

As someone mentioned there are breed specifc adoption agencies.

I'm looking at adopting a 4 year old unaltered male purebreed Mini-Schnauzer that is with a busy couple with 2 young kids. He spends most his day in a crate and doesnt get walks. They dont understand why he barks and gets too excited when he sees other dogs/new people. He seems like a really sweet dog, just gets no attention and is usually alone. I'm pretty sure a daily long walk, some attention and possibly neutering him will solve all the problems.

Any opinions?

:thumbsup:

Make him your own and give him all he hasn't had yet. (socially of course)

5hift
03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
So I went to check him out, he is actually 3 not 4, but he looks like he is about 1. He defentely is on the smaller/cuter size for a full grown male Mini Schnauzer... He still has that puppy look to him.

He is pretty good in the house, both house and crate trained. He is not very socialized at all, with people or dogs. He is super friendly but extremely excited around new ppl and dogs, which I'm guessing would fade with a regular daily walk and some socialization. I took him for a quick walk and he clearly has never had to heal on a walk as he didnt not like the fact I gave him no slack on the leash and tried to fight it initially. He also only doesnt bark because of a spray collar they have on him, but I'm pretty sure thats tied into the spending all day in a crate every day problem.

What do you guys think? He looks very healthy/energetic, is there any need for me to take him to the vet for an examination first to make sure he has no health problems. I'm going to go back Weds to see him again, what should I look for (ie someone was mentioning a dog's teeth are a great indication of not only health but how well he's been taken care of?

The only two problems I'm thinking over now are:
1)He barks quite a bit if the collar is off ... I dont want to have this on my dog permanently and I'm not sure I can train/exercise it out.
2) He is from a Pet Store (shudder). She bought him from a smaller local Lethbridge pet shop that is supplied by a local breeder and has papers to show it, but it is nonetheless a pet shop. I want to give him a chance because he seems like such a sweetheart but I dont want thousands worth of medical bills for a constantly sick/poorly bred dog.

Kritafo
03-02-2009, 09:12 PM

I live in a house with a big yard. What I was getting at is that she's actually ok without a walk some days. She's a total house/indoor dog. In the morning, I have to dump her out of bed and force her out the door.

As for the barking, it can vary. The Schnauzer won't bark just for the heck for it (she's too smart for that). She barks at the doorbell, when she hears the garage door open, at other dogs, when she's playing (yeah she growls and makes weird noises non-stop when she plays), and she barks at the Airedale if the Airedale is bugging her, but again, she won't bark randomly. Otherwise she stays quiet. Most dogs you can train to shut up, but I've tried for 6 years and I've given up :D

Also, her bark is very high pitched, which tends to really travel and would probably not please neighbours. On the contrary, my sister's schnauzer has a really low voice, but he's also male. I also want to note not all schnauzers are like mine. But they are more predisposed to this kind of behaviour, so your chances of getting a similar dog would be higher than if you went with a different breed.

hah! when we grew up with our schnauzer ours almost never barked, our (h)airedale never barks either. Only when the doorbell rings or someone is walking behind the fence. When she does people back away, it definitely gets your attention. I am a sucker for a terrier. I would take the dog to the vet for a once over just for piece of mind. If you are really concerned about pet cost, get insurance.

You have to train yourself and the dog. Have key words and use the kennel. It will keep your dog out of trouble and as an owner you won't come home mad because the dog chewed up your couch. But still spend an appropriate amount of time play and walking.

So they only reason they are getting rid of the dog is because he is too barky and excitable? Almost sounds like the poor dog was the victim of an impulse buy.

5hift
03-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

So they only reason they are getting rid of the dog is because he is too barky and excitable? Almost sounds like the poor dog was the victim of an impulse buy.

No I actually found out more on this visit.

Lady has 2 kids under the age of 10 and just got divorced and moved into a small condo. She has no free time and the poor guy spends sometimes upto 9 hours straight in the crate during the day. They are getting rid of him because of that. I am pretty sure he is just barky/excitable because he spends 90% of his life in a crate and doesnt get walked at all.

I know it varies with coverages, but I've never had pet insurance for any of my dogs, what am I looking at for monthly rates for a basic coverage?

Kritafo
03-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Well I hope the dog works out for you, mine has brought me tears of laughter and lots of love. I will never be without a dog. We are adding a new puppy Airedale this coming spring/summer.

Presidents Choice seems to be pretty good for pet insurance. I am not sure who has the best in Canada. I will look into it though.

They have 4 different plans, ranging from 10.00/month to 40.00/month.

clem24
03-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Lady has 2 kids under the age of 10 and just got divorced and moved into a small condo. She has no free time and the poor guy spends sometimes upto 9 hours straight in the crate during the day. They are getting rid of him because of that. I am pretty sure he is just barky/excitable because he spends 90% of his life in a crate and doesnt get walked at all.

That's quite sad but at the same time, understandable. She's definitely going through a rough patch. That's great that you would adopt him! The only concern you have to tell yourself is that you'll need to put in lots of work to "rehab" this dog. I would also highly recommend contacting Tracy at Clever Canines (www.clevercanines.ca). Great course but $$$$.

Anyways, yeah I am a total sucker for terriers as well, which has so far been a bad choice haha. My Airedale is being her terrier self and digging up the dog run I built for her. Even with 2 or 3 20-30 minute walks per day, she's still bored. The next option I am looking at is getting a treadmill for her. :D

As for the barking, I've been working on my schnauzer for over 5 years now, and unfortunately, it's just part of their nature to be vocal. The next thing i am trying is not a spray collar, but an device that sits on a table/hung on wall that basically beeps (ultrasonic or sonic) when it detects a bark. If there's one thing my schnauzer does NOT like, it is something that sounds like a smoke detector. When I was testing my smoke detector, she was so freaked so that just froze and starting trembling.. :rofl:

Kritafo
03-03-2009, 09:32 AM
We got our Airedale to stop the digging. With the rocks in the plastic bottle method. Every time she starts we shake it, Sheena does not like this. It's easy for me because I am home all day. Not so easy if the dogs have more alone time outside. You can also build them a doggy sandbox where they are allowed to dig. It's hard with a terrier.. cause it's what they do.

Sheena was in love this morning...rolling around in the wet backyard making all sorts of talking noises they do. Plowing through the snow head first. yeah...it's a kennel day.

TYMSMNY
03-03-2009, 09:49 AM

I know it varies with coverages, but I've never had pet insurance for any of my dogs, what am I looking at for monthly rates for a basic coverage?

Petplan is actually very good. I compared most of the bigger pet insurance companies and they offered the best $ for the coverage/policies. Careful when looking at the policies as sometimes claims have a lifetime cap.

Best of times with your new puppy.

clem24
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Petplan is actually very good. I compared most of the bigger pet insurance companies and they offered the best $ for the coverage/policies. Careful when looking at the policies as sometimes claims have a lifetime cap.

Personally I am not a believer in pet insurance, but of course, that's just me. A previous poster was paying $100/month... That's more than $10,000 for the lifetime of your dog! Plus regular vet checks too that are not covered! Yikes. But mind you, if the dog is injured or something else comes up, then obviously the costs would be higher, but then again, I think it's more likely than not that your dog won't have those issues, but again, that's just personal opinion (and this is also where you research comes into play).

Another thing to look for for pet insurance.. Read the policy VERY carefully. Some plans cover VERY SPECIFIC ITEMS while many items that you think might be covered are actually not.

5hift
03-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Personally I am not a believer in pet insurance, but of course, that's just me. A previous poster was paying $100/month... That's more than $10,000 for the lifetime of your dog! Plus regular vet checks too that are not covered! Yikes. But mind you, if the dog is injured or something else comes up, then obviously the costs would be higher, but then again, I think it's more likely than not that your dog won't have those issues, but again, that's just personal opinion (and this is also where you research comes into play).

Another thing to look for for pet insurance.. Read the policy VERY carefully. Some plans cover VERY SPECIFIC ITEMS while many items that you think might be covered are actually not.

I agree with you. My dogs have been raised on acreages where there was a lot more risk for injury (they used to like to chase coyotes). Once they were trained, I gave them complete freedom and never had a problem.

I checked out a few plans and most have a out to screw you in any situation if they want to bust out the fine print. They require you to continue vet checkups and yearly shots that arent needed nor covered. I might consider a cheaper plan for the first few months if I get this dog just while he adjusts so I can make sure he doesnt just eat anything he finds.

phreezee
03-03-2009, 11:12 AM
The biggest expense my dogs have cost me is the hardwood!
I basically have to replace it in a 2 year old house :(

On the positive side, friends of mine have to pay for knee surgery for blown a ACL for their dog, so I figure I'm about even with them in costs.

cooperS
03-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ

I'd also recommend pet insurance, for both my Boxers I pay around $100/month. If I had health insurance with my first pup, I would have been able to recover roughly $3000 that I had spent in emergency care for him before he passed. You can also cover plans that cover regular check ups, oral care, etc.

+1 for pet insurance. we never thought of that for my Shih Tzu when he is a puppy. and now that he is too old to get pet insurance. last time we spent $600 for his dental.

with pet food, we had been feeding my dog boiled chicken breast, rice & vegetables since he was a 6 months old. He is 14 years old now with only minor aging hip problem. The vet told me that he is actually the best fitted shih tzu she've seen. and of course, its up to you on what you want to feed.

AndyL
03-03-2009, 07:40 PM
We're hunting for the pet insurance now... Our pup (Pyrenees Cross also actually - but she's 14 months old - 45kg) is currently recovering from an FCE (Fibrocartilaginous Embolism); basically dog dropped completely paralyzed without warning/injury. The vet at calgary north took it really easy on the billing (compared to past experiences) but it was still over 800$ for 5 days care - she came home still fully paralyzed, has since made leaps & gains to a full recovery thankfully.

After that little event, 10-50$/month into insurance doesn't seem so bad - especially when it would have covered the MRI with contrast that they wanted us to get...

Kritafo
03-04-2009, 04:19 PM
let us know how visit number 2 goes!

5hift
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm going to see him this weekend again. He seems like such a sweet little dog, I really think his problems will go away with proper training, socialization and regular exercise.

I'm just unsure because Schnauzers have a bad rep as being hard to re-train as adults, and because of the whole being from a pet shop thing.

TomcoPDR
03-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Hey, watch CBC, Marketplace right now... they're talking about buying dogs.

TYMSMNY
03-07-2009, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by cooperS

with pet food, we had been feeding my dog boiled chicken breast, rice &amp; vegetables since he was a 6 months old.

Try feeding RAW/BARF diets (raw meats/bones etc). Highly recommended.

Mixalot27
03-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Hey, watch CBC, Marketplace right now... they're talking about buying dogs.

The online video:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2009/how_not_to_buy_a_puppy/main.html

cancer man
03-13-2009, 11:33 AM
our dog is prone to ear infections between shots medications
damaged furniture,shoes,socks drywall and scratched doors.
about 6000.00 for the first 2 years.this year finally she has mellowed out and it looks like maybe 1500.00 for food and shots.
treats and toys.(keeping my fingers crossed.
A bored Dog is a dangerous one loves to instill damage.

5hift
03-18-2009, 09:14 AM
So I thought I would update this for those who care or took the time to respond as I brought him home 4 days ago.

He is such a sweet dog, considering how poorly he has been treated, I'm surprised he is this well behaved and is responding to training so well. He was scared/didnt trust me the first day, but it seems he's already moved on now. I walk him twice a day and that tires him out to the point where he spends all day sleeping around my place.

When I brought him home, he didnt respond to any commands, pulled on the leash like crazy, bolted through doors as soon as they opened, and barked at any slight noise or stranger as I took off his barking collar right away.

I already have him responding to sit/stay/lie down without treats, he hasnt barked once in my condo after the first day. Doesnt leave or enter without me telling him its ok and still does it slowly now. If he has to go to the washroom he already scratches on the door and makes it really obvious (has not had a single accident so far which really surprised me). Although not as bad, he still pulls. Overall I'm really surprised with how well he is responding though.

The only thing I cant seem to improve, is his barking/making throaty noises to strangers when I'm walking him or driving somewhere. I correct him as soon as he does it, but I did this for a whole 30 minute drive and he didnt catch on.

Along with that, the one thing I'm unsure how to approach is the fact he is deathly scared of being brushed, groomed and bathed. If I grab his brush or turn on my clippers to see how he reacts, he immediately runs under my bed. He is stinky and needs a bath but I've already been warned he will not cooperate as soon as you get him wet.

Any suggestions?

R-Audi
03-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Use positive reinforcement when getting him to do something he hates.. Easiest way is lots of treats during the process, and introduce whatever tools you are using to him prior. (Lay the tools out and let him sniff them)
My puppy hates getting brushed and bathed, but I give him treats during and after.. now he gets excited when he sees the brush come out!

Also make sure to stay calm during the process to keep him as calm as possible. That being said possibly go for a long walk/run right before so hes tired!

I recently made the switch to a raw food diet.. and immediately noticed how much smaller the poo is.. like 1/4 the size! Shows you how much crap and filler is in the dog food.. and I was coming from an expensive natural brand as well! (Origin)

FreakinPrince
03-18-2009, 10:01 AM
^^^ what type of raw diet are you feeding your dog??

clem24
03-18-2009, 11:44 AM
The only thing I cant seem to improve, is his barking/making throaty noises to strangers when I'm walking him or driving somewhere. I correct him as soon as he does it, but I did this for a whole 30 minute drive and he didnt catch on.

Hahaha I've been trying for 6 years to get my schnauzer to stop doing that. Let me know when you do find an effective solution. On the upside, sometimes I can't hear my doorbell, and those dogs make great doorbells (and Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!).

Sounds like you got yourself a great companion.

Let's see sum pix!!

GingeRRRBeef
03-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Along with that, the one thing I'm unsure how to approach is the fact he is deathly scared of being brushed, groomed and bathed. If I grab his brush or turn on my clippers to see how he reacts, he immediately runs under my bed. He is stinky and needs a bath but I've already been warned he will not cooperate as soon as you get him wet.

Any suggestions?

You have to associate the brush, clipper and bath as being something positive. Make the dog come to the brush or clippers and reward him with food. You have to take it step by step.

Kritafo
03-18-2009, 11:53 AM
ooh I am so glad to hear you picked him!

We groom right on the floor. I left all the tools of destruction for our dog to sniff out. In the year we have had Sheena she has went from don't you dare get me wet to as soon as she hears the shower she thinks it's her turn.

Nail clipping on the other hand....big baby. I do a couple of nails a day. Eventually we get through them all. The the routine starts all over again.

gretz
03-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo

Nail clipping on the other hand....big baby. I do a couple of nails a day. Eventually we get through them all. The the routine starts all over again.

The biggest toughest dogs turn babies when the nail clippers come out

NickGT
03-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Congrats on the schnauzer! I love mine to death. Yes they sure do sleep a lot! Mine sleeps for at least 20 hours a day i swear! He can catch treats/toys and sit. Those are the only tricks he knows. He pulls like a motherfucker when walking too. So tough for such a little dog. I've started using a shorter (non-retractable leash) which has helped.

snoop101
03-18-2009, 05:12 PM
You guys need to watch Ceaser more. :thumbsup:

clem24
03-18-2009, 11:52 PM
So at my parents house, my dad had the door open momentarily. Schnauzer (her name is Maggie) saw a dog across the street and ran out after it. Dad was busy at the door so he called her back. Moments later, she came back, nothing seemed amiss. The lady with the dog across the street kind of stood there for a bit, then quickly walked off.

Then tonight while walking her, my dad noticed Maggie had a bit blood on her fur on her back.. Turns out she most likely got bitten by that other dog.. Pretty hard too. Had a fairly deep puncture wound, probably 1 cm across and half as deep. Not much bleeding at all though. Will definitely require stitches so it can heal properly. We're just waiting till morning to bring her in to the vet first thing to get stitched up and get some shots just in case. Very lucky that she was only bit on her back instead of a softer spot (kind of a little lower than the large loose chunk of skin below the neck).

I don't blame the other dog or the owner. I blame Maggie.

There goes a few hundred $$$. Such is the life of dog ownership.

cancer man
03-19-2009, 03:33 AM
good advice on a lot of these posts,we got our dog from a farmer.
mother was a golden lab and the father an airdale.
you figure tops 70lbs??maybe 80.

115lbs of pulling machine,bigger than my wife and she still thinks
she's a lap dog.

when she was a pup..

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/dogman8018/thumbnail3.jpg

and now Luba the lap dog..

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/dogman8018/IMGP0642.jpg

GQBalla
03-19-2009, 07:33 AM
wow that dog looks like a bear,

i always see a big black dog that honestly is like a bear its so big

R-Audi
03-19-2009, 07:41 AM
The raw food diet that 'Chunk' The Bulldog is on is Urban Carnivore.. it consists of various meat patties and sprinkling some other shit on top. (Greens and other nutrients)
I dont think I've ever seen him more excited then meal time!
(And the other positive is the Poo is WAY smaller.)
he he .. I called the shit poo.

gretz
03-19-2009, 07:46 AM
^^ i know what you mean when they get bigger than they are supposed to

Heff
03-19-2009, 08:26 AM
So I thought I would update this for those who care or took the time to respond as I brought him home 4 days ago.

He is such a sweet dog, considering how poorly he has been treated, I'm surprised he is this well behaved and is responding to training so well. He was scared/didnt trust me the first day, but it seems he's already moved on now. I walk him twice a day and that tires him out to the point where he spends all day sleeping around my place.

When I brought him home, he didnt respond to any commands, pulled on the leash like crazy, bolted through doors as soon as they opened, and barked at any slight noise or stranger as I took off his barking collar right away.

I already have him responding to sit/stay/lie down without treats, he hasnt barked once in my condo after the first day. Doesnt leave or enter without me telling him its ok and still does it slowly now. If he has to go to the washroom he already scratches on the door and makes it really obvious (has not had a single accident so far which really surprised me). Although not as bad, he still pulls. Overall I'm really surprised with how well he is responding though.

Any suggestions?

Grats!

Bath-time.

Try getting in the tub with the dog for a couple times. That way you're sharing the indignation of getting wet, and washed.

Also make it a shallow bath the first few times. Knee depth on your doggie. That makes it easier for them to feel like they're in control of the situation, and doesn't trigger survival-flight instincts.

Make a game of it, and lavish praise on him through out the process.

That should help some.

HiTempguy1
04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Bringing a thread back from the dead...

My older sister informed my parents (as she is moving back in for 4 months at the end of April) that she had been gifted a shit-zu (8 weeks old) as the girl who got it had a change of plans and is moving far away. I gotta admit its damn cute, and she says he is very quiet, sorta shy.

Apparently the dog is from a known breeder, the parents were supposedly pure bred but the papers to get it documented are expensive so it wasn't done? Sounds fishy to me. Nonetheless, it sounds like its up on its shots, my sisters already had it to the vet, yadda yadda. Is there anything we should be looking for? This dog will have no expenses spared on it, as I've seen SO MANY dogs that haven't been treated right (bought, paid attention to as a puppy, mistreated for the next 10 years of its life) that we'll be taking good care of it.

Right now my sister is feeding him Iam's puppy dog food. Is there something better that we should look at?

The thread has been great so far, that one link dogbreedinfo.com has SO much info on it. I never knew you didn't let a dog walk in front of you (makes perfect sense though)!

cancer man
04-07-2009, 03:53 AM
every dog has a diffrent personality,mine is trained to be in front
but always walks on the right side.
with aggresive dogs maybe training them to walk beside you might be a good thing.
glad you got the dog !!
you got all bark and no bite.:) :)

clem24
04-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
This dog will have no expenses spared on it, as I've seen SO MANY dogs that haven't been treated right (bought, paid attention to as a puppy, mistreated for the next 10 years of its life) that we'll be taking good care of it.

Right now my sister is feeding him Iam's puppy dog food. Is there something better that we should look at?

We feed our dogs Innova Evo. Supposedly it contains no grains and is made from human grade food. I do notice a difference when I switched over my sister's dog (he didn't stink as much). He was on Iams.

About the no expenses spared... Well, I think if dogs could talk, they would tell you that they don't need expensive things or lots of toys... They'd rather be walked and given lots of exercise and training/discipline (dogs would prefer to be non-alpha dog/pack leader). Other than that, enjoy the dog.

Congrats to your sister on the adoption.