PDA

View Full Version : Egg Salad recipes (for sandwiches)

nonlinear
02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
i've been craving egg salad sandwiches lately, but haven't been able to find a good recipe that i can trust. i've tried looking in all my usual places, but all i can is this 'fusion' type crap on epicurious or food network (no, i don't want curried egg salad dammit).

anyone got any recipes for down home american egg salad that your mom or grandma used to make?

4lti7ude
02-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Isnt it just hard boiled eggs, then you just mash them up and mix with miracle whip?
I think its miracle whip...

Kardon
02-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Ya better sneak in alittle green onion..

BigDannyCool
Originally posted by 4lti7ude
Isnt it just hard boiled eggs, then you just mash them up and mix with miracle whip?
I think its miracle whip...

or mayonaise, a little salt and pepper, green onions if you like...that's about it.

Weapon_R
Hard boiled eggs, some mayo, a bit of mustard, some chopped up pickles, onions, and maybe jalapenos, and mix. It really is the simplest to make.

nonlinear
02-25-2009, 03:34 PM
gee, thanks for the help guys.

if anyone has any recipes (that have balanced flavors and are tested so i don't have to play around), please let me know.

i'll give you an example

Q: anyone got a good tuna recipe?

you guys: doh, just open a can of tuna add mayo and salt and pepper and really whatever you like, doh!

but instead, i would be looking for this kind of tuna salad recipe:

Tuna Salad from Sunterra

2 cans flaked or chunked tuna
2 Sticks celery (small diced)
2 Green onion stalks sliced thinly
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
3 tbsp Cream Cheese
1 tsp Tabasco
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
Salt and Pepper

Combine all ingredients in bowl. Mix with fork, (ensuring to break down all cream cheese), until all ingrentients are well blended.

BigDannyCool
02-25-2009, 03:38 PM
do you have a recipe for a ham and cheese sandwich?

calgarys_finest
02-25-2009, 03:41 PM
5 eggs hard boiled
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
1 tablespoon of mayo
half a cup of green onions

my grandma makes it with alot more mayo but i dont like the taste of mayo so i use very little.

nonlinear
02-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool

do you have anything better to do?

and seriously, if any of you have had sunterra's tuna salad, you'll know what i mean when i say "tested recipe with balanced flavors." the small amounts of lemon juice, tabasco and worsh are what make that salad.

i'm not just looking for chopped eggs and mayonaise that some 16 year old kid makes at home for his wonder bread :rolleyes:

DJ Lazy
02-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
gee, thanks for the help guys.

if anyone has any recipes (that have balanced flavors and are tested so i don't have to play around), please let me know.

i'll give you an example

Q: anyone got a good tuna recipe?

you guys: doh, just open a can of tuna add mayo and salt and pepper and really whatever you like, doh!

but instead, i would be looking for this kind of tuna salad recipe:

Tuna Salad from Sunterra

2 cans flaked or chunked tuna
2 Sticks celery (small diced)
2 Green onion stalks sliced thinly
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
3 tbsp Cream Cheese
1 tsp Tabasco
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
Salt and Pepper

Combine all ingredients in bowl. Mix with fork, (ensuring to break down all cream cheese), until all ingrentients are well blended.

Then go down to sunterra and get your damn egg salad recipe.... It's a sandwich... not rocket science. :rofl:

BigDannyCool
02-25-2009, 03:51 PM

do you have anything better to do?

and seriously, if any of you have had sunterra's tuna salad, you'll know what i mean when i say "tested recipe with balanced flavors." the small amounts of lemon juice, tabasco and worsh are what make that salad.

i'm not just looking for chopped eggs and mayonaise that some 16 year old kid makes at home for his wonder bread :rolleyes:

you just asked for down home american egg salad...that's what we gave you....what you really wanted was a gourmet recipe which you should have stated.

and mom never added cream cheese or tabasco to my tuna salad.

bulaian
02-25-2009, 03:52 PM

i'l trade you for a recipe for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches if you'd like?

exact measurements only though, thanks. :rofl:

nonlinear
02-25-2009, 03:59 PM

you just asked for down home american egg salad...that's what we gave you....what you really wanted was a gourmet recipe which you should have stated.

and mom never added cream cheese or tabasco to my tuna salad.

LOL

i'm not asking for 'gourmet,' i'm asking for a recipe (balanced flavors) for american egg salad. and BTW, I am american, and my mom would have added that kind of stuff. unfortunately she has been dead for 11 years so i can't ask her for the recipe.

seriously man, if you don't have a recipe why are you posting in this thread? I asked for a recipe, not smart ass comments.

ekguy
02-25-2009, 04:00 PM
a little bit of sweet relish works well. With pepper, miracle whip, cayenne pepper as well.

Kritafo
02-25-2009, 04:20 PM
I think the problem here is, like when I make egg salad there is no recipe involved. I make the eggs, home-made mayo and toss in some onions or celery for the crunchy. Sometime I add dry mustard powder sometime I use just salt and pepper with some paprika, sometimes with dill.

Its all individual. I like my egg salad pretty moist, my kids hate it this way.

but here is one close to mine.

* 8 eggs
* 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
* 2 tablespoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
* 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 red onion, minced
* salt and pepper to taste

sputnik
02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
- eggs
- miracle whip (mayo is bland)
- chopped green onion
- salt and pepper

sometimes simple is just best

EK 2.0
02-25-2009, 04:34 PM
CELERY is KEY!!!:drool:

nonlinear
02-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
I think the problem here is, like when I make egg salad there is no recipe involved. I make the eggs, home-made mayo and toss in some onions or celery for the crunchy. Sometime I add dry mustard powder sometime I use just salt and pepper with some paprika, sometimes with dill.

Its all individual. I like my egg salad pretty moist, my kids hate it this way.

but here is one close to mine.

* 8 eggs
* 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
* 2 tablespoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
* 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 red onion, minced
* salt and pepper to taste

thanks kritafo, at least you know what i meant ;)

i'm gonna give this a try tonight, and i'll get back and let you know how awesome it was

Amysicle
02-25-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't know why you're getting so pissy with everyone else. I mean weren't you just crapping on this guy's thread for trying to give tips on an easy eggs benedict?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/252592/homemade-eggs-benedict/

I don't use a recipe and I throw in what I like depending on what I'm in the mood for. What's wrong with experimenting and playing around with something to find out what you like best? :dunno:

EK 2.0
02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle

I don't know why you're getting so pissy with everyone else. I mean weren't you just crapping on this guy's thread for trying to give tips on an easy eggs benedict

yeah, you tell him girlfriend....

dannie
02-25-2009, 05:33 PM
I found this one online a while ago... its pretty good:

12 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
1/4 cup real bacon bits
salt and pepper to taste

I also have this one, but I havent tried it yet:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 small red onion, in small dice
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut into large dice
1 small tomato, cut into small dice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Salt, to taste

DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion until tender, about 4 minutes. Add jalapeno, ginger, turmeric and cayenne; saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add eggs, stirring constantly to blend flavors, about 2 minutes. Off heat, stir in tomato, cilantro, and salt. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.

szw
02-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
CELERY is KEY!!!:drool:

Yeah its definitely needed.

nonlinear
02-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
I don't know why you're getting so pissy with everyone else. I mean weren't you just crapping on this guy's thread for trying to give tips on an easy eggs benedict?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/252592/homemade-eggs-benedict/

I don't use a recipe and I throw in what I like depending on what I'm in the mood for. What's wrong with experimenting and playing around with something to find out what you like best? :dunno:

oh, whatever, you're just mad cause you thought i didn't appreciate your comments on cheddar bechemel ;)

if you read that eggs benedict thread, you'll see that i made a joke which poked fun at the guy explaining how to cook a pre-packaged food... I don't see how that is at all relevant to this thread. and, you'll see that later in the thread, i stuck up for the OP so, NO, i wasn't 'crapping all over his thread.'

so i don't really see the point of your post.

also, if you read you'll see that the joke i made in that thread is essentially the same one that BigDannyCool and bulairn used above... except i did it better and now it's totally unoriginal and played our :bigpimp:

nonlinear
02-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by dannie
I found this one online a while ago... its pretty good:

12 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
1/4 cup real bacon bits
salt and pepper to taste

I also have this one, but I havent tried it yet:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 small red onion, in small dice
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut into large dice
1 small tomato, cut into small dice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Salt, to taste

DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion until tender, about 4 minutes. Add jalapeno, ginger, turmeric and cayenne; saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add eggs, stirring constantly to blend flavors, about 2 minutes. Off heat, stir in tomato, cilantro, and salt. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.

those look great, too!

y'all need to take some tips from these girls (kritafo and dannie), cause they know what's up go on eating your hard-boiled mashed up eggs with miracle whip :barf:

Amysicle
02-25-2009, 06:36 PM

oh, whatever, you're just mad cause you thought i didn't appreciate your comments on cheddar bechemel ;)

if you read that eggs benedict thread, you'll see that i made a joke which poked fun at the guy explaining how to cook a pre-packaged food... I don't see how that is at all relevant to this thread. and, you'll see that later in the thread, i stuck up for the OP so, NO, i wasn't 'crapping all over his thread.'

so i don't really see the point of your post.

also, if you read you'll see that the joke i made in that thread is essentially the same one that BigDannyCool and bulairn used above... except i did it better and now it's totally unoriginal and played our :bigpimp: Well played.

I'll post mine up since I like having egg sandwiches and so it's made for one or two.

4 hard boiled eggs
pinch of salt and pepper
1 tsp mustard
2 tbsp mayo (but it's pretty moist)
half a celery stalk, or whole if you like it extra crunchy (diced)
1/4 tsp paprika

And then depending on how I'm feeling, I may add some pickle or dill. I like the idea of bacon bits dannie as suggests.