PDA

View Full Version : Differences in factory paint and paintjob

artieboy
02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi guys i have a BMW that was in an accident. I have taken it to Maranellos, which I have heard is very good.

I'm just curious, as good as they have been told to be......
How noticeable is the repainting? There must be some differences between the original factory car and the paint job.

Also, for those that have used Maranello, how long did it take before the paint started to wear out.....? The board here somes pretty encouraging about Maranello, but just wondering about this

TomcoPDR
02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Bodywork done properly are pretty close to untraceable. But that's with all trades, mechanical, drywalling (so flat you can't see where joints were), etc... But at what cost?

At some point there's a realization that it's a reasonable repair

TurboD
02-28-2009, 01:45 PM
its never going to be as good as factory, they use a baking method that creates a very strong paint finish.

aftermarket jobs will easily chip from rocks, and easily fade and wear.

crez
03-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Turbo D is definitely wrong. Many higher end shops like the one you have mentioned can even give better paint jobs than most factory jobs. There paint is baked and as strong, resiliant, and as outstanding as a factory job. When done properly it should never chip any worse than a factory job.

artieboy
03-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Well thats encouraging to hear. Even if its not quite up to factory standards, i just don't want the paint to be falling off in a year. I didn't ask Maranello if they bake their paint just yet..... but they probably do if its a higher end shop

Originally posted by crez
Turbo D is definitely wrong. Many higher end shops like the one you have mentioned can even give better paint jobs than most factory jobs. There paint is baked and as strong, resiliant, and as outstanding as a factory job. When done properly it should never chip any worse than a factory job.

sneek
03-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Really high end jobs will be better than factory. I don't think anyone in town does that good of work though. I would have to say that Maranellos is probably the best place to go though. They can usually get orange peel pretty close.

TurboD
03-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by crez

show me a shop in calgary that does paint baking and can do a paint job that stands up as well as a factory job.

ive seen 20 yr old cars with minimal hood chips with factory paint, and ive seen aftermarket jobs look worse after only 1 year.

again, show me a shop in calgary that does paint baking

as far as i know the surface temp has to get to around 150 degrees to bake for a half hour.

rage2
03-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by TurboD
ive seen 20 yr old cars with minimal hood chips with factory paint, and ive seen aftermarket jobs look worse after only 1 year.
20 year old cars had much stronger paint. All new cars (especially european ones) use water based environmentally friendly crap that's very weak. I believe it was introduced about 10-12 years ago. My last 3 Benz's chipped so easily. Same with my M3 (bought used without 3M). I had to repaint the entire car this winter because I was so annoyed by all the chips. My parent's 87 Benz has such strong paint that even without 3M it's very minimal chipping on the front.

sneek
03-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by rage2

20 year old cars had much stronger paint. All new cars (especially european ones) use water based environmentally friendly crap that's very weak. I believe it was introduced about 10-12 years ago. My last 3 Benz's chipped so easily. Same with my M3 (bought used without 3M). I had to repaint the entire car this winter because I was so annoyed by all the chips. My parent's 87 Benz has such strong paint that even without 3M it's very minimal chipping on the front.

:werd: Some Bimmers are primer-less making them extremely soft!

Weapon_R
03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
A good paint job will be virtually undetectable. Maranellos and Contemporary Coachworks are the best in the business in my opinion.

gofastmerc
03-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
A good paint job will be virtually undetectable. Maranellos and Contemporary Coachworks are the best in the business in my opinion.

X2

If they know what hey are doing, you won't be able to tell it was painted. Now, or in 10 years.

I think any shop with a business license would have a booth, that would have a bake cycle. But all that really does is speed up the drying process.

Idratherbsidewayz
03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by gofastmerc
But all that really does is speed up the drying process.

Not true. When things are heated to a correct temperature for a correct amount of time, you can achieve the exact chemical/physical arrangement and phase you desire. This might be one where the surface hardness is quite high so that things aren't able to scratch it.

For example, in steel (but it applies to all materials, even chocolate), if you desire a very hard (but brittle) metal (martensite) like the one on samurai blades you would heat the blade edge to a certain temperature, allow it to get a uniform temp gradient, then cool it by quenching within a certain amount of time.

With paint it would be similar but since there is moisture that you need to get rid of, these phase changes would occur on the heating portion.

lophilip
03-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by TurboD
its never going to be as good as factory, they use a baking method that creates a very strong paint finish.

aftermarket jobs will easily chip from rocks, and easily fade and wear.

I know for a fact that aftermarket paint jobs were better then the Subaru paint jobs. For some reason the Subaru paints chipped really easily.

Wasn't there a certain year where 1 American car manufacturer had problems with peeling paint?

anhsicun
03-05-2009, 11:14 PM
+ 1 for Contemporary Coachworks, my dad got his bumper repianted thier looks great. plus these shop will warrnty thier work as long u own ur car .