PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Skin!

Essell
02-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Okay Here's my problem I hope someone can help or has advice for. I have really and I mean really dry skin, but I also have some acne on my face. I can't seem to balance them out. Its either I have one or the other. I don't eat much junk food or anything. I've tried ProActive solution, but didn't work at all. I've tried dozens of expholiators or whatever and countless face washes. What is the best solution on finding out what would work best for me?

Thanks!

4lti7ude
02-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Trial and Error.
Just keep trying things out really..
Or you can always go to the doctor to get checked out.

top_speed
02-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Shit... if proactive didnt work,i think your out of luck.

suen_boi
02-25-2009, 05:36 PM
See your doctor. They can evaluate it and decide whether or not to prescribe a topical antibiotic for your face, such as clindoxyl gel, or clindets tampons (facial pads soaked in a clindamycin solution). They might also recommend a good moisturizing cream to boot.

theken
02-25-2009, 05:37 PM
for dry skin i would recommend the Georges skin cream, by far best stuff I have ever used, worked really well after tattooing as well

nismodrifter
02-25-2009, 05:44 PM
How old are you? How much water do you drink everyday?

Essell
02-25-2009, 05:51 PM
I am 21, and I drink about 5-6ish glasses a day. Thanks for everyone's advice so far I'll go try some of them out.

Kennyredline
02-26-2009, 02:43 PM
When I was in high school, I had bad acne, my doctor put me on "Accutane"...dried me right out, affected my eyesight, and I've since heard that some people became very depressed using it...got rid of my acne though!

eb0i
02-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by suen_boi
See your doctor. They can evaluate it and decide whether or not to prescribe a topical antibiotic for your face, such as clindoxyl gel, or clindets tampons (facial pads soaked in a clindamycin solution). They might also recommend a good moisturizing cream to boot.

:werd:

If it is a problem then go to your doctor. :thumbsup:

LadyLuck
02-26-2009, 03:27 PM
How long did you use proactive before you gave up?

alot of people give up on it because the first few times they try it, it makes them break out more...but thats how proactive works.

Ive been using it for the last 6 years, and ive had amazing results.

Kloubek
02-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Just get past this puberty phase, and you'll be just fine... ;)

Zenshi
02-27-2009, 05:01 PM
You need to make sure you use it daily.
Once in the morning and once at night. Make sure you use cleanser then moisturizer. Use moisturizer even when you sleep.

Some people think they can get away with cleanser once a day or once a week. This is a thing you need to do daily especially since you have acne prone skin.

sdiep
02-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Have you watched what you ate and all? I've noticed that when I incorporated flaxseed into my eats, my skin cleared up. It varies from person to person, but I find that some foods for me, trigger me to break out a little, such as when I overdo it with the dairy products.

Maybe give flaxseeds a go?

extm88
02-27-2009, 09:24 PM
I used to have sensitive skin and tried several face lotions. Finally i found one that did not have a greasy feeling at all. It does come with a price though lol.

Skoah Face Lotion
40$ for a tiny tube

anhsicun
02-27-2009, 10:28 PM
i order H20 products online the moisturiser line up they have is by far the best, great for calgary dry weather it keeps my skin moist through out the day. in the summer time i swicth to bioterm moisturiser ( the white bottle ), for cleanser i use the regular grey bioterm. if u get anything tho u have to use it every day morring and nite.

Darkane
02-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Essell
I am 21, and I drink about 5-6ish glasses a day. Thanks for everyone's advice so far I'll go try some of them out.

Bump that up to 20/day (4L) and start taking fish oil. Fish oil helps tremendously for hair, skin, nails and overall health.

blinkme_210
02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by sdiep
Maybe give flaxseeds a go?

Flaxseeds work, because they are a major source of Omega-3 EFA's. The same oil that is found in fish.

The majority of acne sufferers, young or old, are lacking essential Omega-3 fatty acids in their diet.

r0g3r
02-28-2009, 10:34 PM
u could also get them from alot of other foods like nuts, olives, vegetables (which can convert to omega-3 given the process is completed) and also my favorite, avocados!

Euro_Trash
03-01-2009, 01:34 PM
I went to the doctor a few months ago and they gave me a prescription for Clindasol. It is not harsh at all, and I saw huge differences over 6 weeks.

xmattx8
03-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Accutane ftw.

It might make you turn into a depressed, suicidal pyscho, but your acne will be done.

Nusc
03-01-2009, 05:32 PM
What do you use for scarring from Acne?

Thomas Gabriel
03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Gotta combine products. Topical erythromycin + retin-a + benzoyl peroxide is pretty good. You gotta be extremely religious with the application too. Apply the stuff twice a day. If you miss an application, you can bet you will have new acne the next day.

Mitsu3000gt
03-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Accutane works for most people, I believe it permanantly changes how much oil your facial skin produces. Everyone I know whose been on it had no ill effects and it worked well. I think you need to watch your alcohol consumption on it though.

What I've heard about proactiv is that it works great as long as you're always using it, but when you stop, the acne comes back.

ryaraines
03-02-2009, 11:01 PM
try Dermologica Antibacterial Skin Cleanser, it has made a huge difference for me. It's on the expensive side ($50 for 250 ml) but that lasts me about 6-8 months using it every day. I have mostly bought it in salons.

If you are on a budget, you can try Tersaseptic cleanser (I think about $12), which you can buy at most pharmacies. London Drugs has it for sure.

Also, change your pillowcase on a regular basis, avoid touching your face and if you work somewhere where you are on the phone a lot, wipe the receiver down every day.

Hope this helps!

holden
03-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Accutane works for most people, I believe it permanantly changes how much oil your facial skin produces. Everyone I know whose been on it had no ill effects and it worked well. I think you need to watch your alcohol consumption on it though.

What I've heard about proactiv is that it works great as long as you're always using it, but when you stop, the acne comes back.

Yeah, I used it and I am now pretty much acne free. Of course there is a long list of possible side effects you should read up on. All the excess vitamin A can do a number on your liver, so your expected to stay off alcohol while taking it. I drank a couple of times and my blood tests still came back negative. I think Accutane is really a last case scenario, if the over-the-counter stuff, benzoyl peroxide, topical creams, antibiotics don't work.

ken.bryle21
03-04-2009, 01:56 PM
my friend told me that you have to do a blood test before your dr. can you give a prescription for accutane? is this true? hahaha i hate needle... lol

Thomas Gabriel
03-05-2009, 03:02 PM
If you're going the accutane route, just buy it online. Do a low dose regimen. There are a ton of logs online. Just make the benefit outweighs the risks. A lot of people have chronic problems after accutane. It does make permanent changes to your body (that's why it's effective in the long-term).

Eleanor
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ken.bryle21
my friend told me that you have to do a blood test before your dr. can you give a prescription for accutane? is this true? hahaha i hate needle... lol I was on Accutane while I was in high school. You need a blood test to make sure you can go on it, and you need monthly blood tests as well. It helped my situation, but not totally cured. It dried the crap out my skin though.

It's a big needle too.

Hakkola
03-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

It's a big needle too.

What? I took acutane in highschool, and it was in pill form. Cured my acne for a couple years, then it came back a bit but not anywhere near as bad.

I've found that eating milk products other than yogurt, and eating fatty/greasy foods/chocolate caused breakouts, and using products on skin just made it worse.

I tried drinking lots of fluids, having yougurt/berry/banana shakes everyday, and stopped using anything on my face, stopped touching/popping pimples and the acne has pretty much disappeared.

Live a healthy lifestyle and stop eating shit that will fuck with your hormones, and stop putting shit on your face that will irritate your hair folicles and you'll notice a huge difference.

tkirby
03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I've used Proactive for 2-3 years and the results have been impressive, but it made my skin VERY irritated and dry.
After seeing and reading some good things about Murad Acne Complex I decided to try it out.
I've only been on it for a week but the creams are very soothing and I don't feel my skin burning like I usually do after using Proactive. I usually have to use a skin moisturizer after using Proactive, but with Murad the process includes using an acne fighting moisturizer, so my skin isn't dry after using it.
There are no coarse substances in it at all and Murad's 'philosophy' is that hydration helps treat acne. They also have a special product for sensitive/dry skin with the acne complex in it.
Overall I would say that it's a great product .:thumbsup: