PDA

View Full Version : U of C buying books

Street_Soldier
02-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Does anyone know where that place is that buys your books for cash? I recall it being in mac hall on the bottom of the stairs near the post office. Can someone confirm and give its hours of operation?

buh_buh
02-25-2009, 09:31 PM
yeah it is and it just opened again today. Not sure what time it opens but I think it closes at 5.

toyboy88
02-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Buyback Resumes Wed Feb 25

We operate a weekly used textbook buy back program every Wednesday from 10:00am until 4:00pm in our 'buyback booth' across from the post office, beside the secondary staircase on the ground floor of MacEwan Student Centre. (Just across from the elevators). (Our weekly buys are suspended for a few weeks after the major buy backs in September and January).

Location and Directions
Directions: A map to the bookstore is located here: http://www.calgarybookstore.ca/bigmap.htm

BuyBack Policies
We operate a cashless buy, you will be required to provide a bank debit card to receive your payment. Please note: In order to protect you and the general University community, you will be asked to provide photo id (Drivers License, Student Card, etc.)at the time of the transaction. We understand that your book is used, however please be sure that your book is in reasonably good condition. e.g. no excessive highlighting, no missing pages or covers, etc.

Got that in my e-mail yesterday.

Xamim
02-25-2009, 11:01 PM
So how much do they pay for the books, is it the usual 20-30%?

vinc456
02-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Obviously the price is to their advantage but you can punch in the ISBN on the website and find out just how much you're getting ripped off.

badatusrnames
02-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Xamim
So how much do they pay for the books, is it the usual 20-30%?

Depends on supply and demand. If I understand it correctly, they participate in a pool of textbook inventory across several universities.

For one textbook I had, I was offered something like $10, but if I had the CD with it (very rare) it was worth ~$70...

diamondedge
02-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Depends on supply and demand. If I understand it correctly, they participate in a pool of textbook inventory across several universities.

For one textbook I had, I was offered something like $10, but if I had the CD with it (very rare) it was worth ~$70...

This. If the book is being re-used in the next semester, you'll cash in a lot more than a tenner. If it isn't, they'll politely turn you away. This year I managed to sell 1 out of 5...

chkolny541
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
theyll screw you good on the price, but its better to have like 20-30$ then having a useless book lying around collecting dust.