PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Toms-SC
02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/spinaroundtown/09.pontiac.solstice.gxp.coupe/09.pontiac.solstice.coupe.gxp.act.f34.3.500.jpg

By Mike Schmidt Vehicle Testing Manager
Date posted: 02-23-2009

Turbocharged 2.0-liter Ecotec inlne-4 - 260 hp; 260 lb-ft of torque - 60 mph in 5.5 seconds - Removable hardtop

Our hopes were high following the debut of the 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe at the 2008 New York Auto Show last year. We had not forgotten the ergonomic shortcomings of the Solstice. Nor had its functional limitations slipped our minds. It was mechanically the same curvaceous Solstice that had made us swoon in 2006. Only now it had a bitchin' hardtop.

So here we stand again with hearts racing and gaze locked on the 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe. The GXP offers you 260 horsepower from its turbocharged Ecotec inline-4 and big tires to put the power to good use, so it's a lot more serious than the standard Solstice coupe. Its angled roof gives the coupe an angry, menacing stance unmatched by the roadster. This is the car we secretly want to like. In the back of our minds, we hope it's different from the 2006 Pontiac Solstice we lived with for a year in our long-term fleet.

And perhaps it's a measure of the intensity of this hope that our disappointment is so devastating.

Looks Only Go So Far

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/spinaroundtown/09.pontiac.solstice.gxp.coupe/09.pontiac.solstice.coupe.gxp.act.prf.1.500.jpg

From the moment the Solstice concept appeared at the 2002 Detroit Auto Show, GM had the attention of everyone who loved sports cars. And as the car slowly evolved toward production until it was officially introduced as the 2006 Pontiac Solstice, we tracked its progress faithfully. It brought together the Ecotec inline-4 developed in drag racing, a manual transmission from a supplier to Mazda, and a platform with a short 95.1-inch wheelbase for maneuverability and a wide track for cornering grip, not to mention an extravagantly swoopy shape designed by Franz von Holzhausen.

Even today, the Pontiac Solstice is among the best-looking production cars available. And we'll put the 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe in the same company when it reaches Pontiac dealers in the coming months. Gone is the cumbersome retractable soft top. In its place is a roof that combines a removable, targa-style roof panel made of magnesium, with a fixed fastback that incorporates a cargo hatch. The Solstice coupe's aggressive new roof line is even more lust-inducing than the sweeping curves of the Solstice roadster.

Conceptually, the Solstice GXP coupe is a great car. You can see the proof in road racing competition, where the Solstice coupe ran at the front of the pack in the SCCA's Showroom Stock B. This turbocharged version of the 2.0-liter Ecotec inline-4 makes 260 horsepower at 5,300 rpm and 260 pound-feet of torque at 2,500 rpm, plenty of power even though the coupe weighs 3,057 pounds. This is also considerably more power than you'll find in the standard Solstice coupe, which has a normally aspirated 2.4-liter Ecotec that does 173 hp and 167 lb-ft of torque. And it doesn't stop there.

Acceleration for the GXP looks good. From a standstill it reaches 60 mph in 5.5 seconds (5.2 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) and completes the quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds at 100.3 mph. This performance is quicker than the last Mazda Miata PRHT we tested by 2 seconds to the 60 mph mark. The GXP is four-tenths of a second slower to 60 mph than the 332-hp Nissan 370Z we tested recently, and the Z-car is also only narrowly faster through the quarter-mile with its run of 13.4 seconds at 104.6 mph.

So how is the 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe not the best car ever?

Personality Is What Matters

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/spinaroundtown/09.pontiac.solstice.gxp.coupe/09.pontiac.solstice.coupe.gxp.act.r34.2.500.jpg

Now look beyond the fastback roof line and ducktail spoiler. When we delve into the real personality behind the GXP coupe, its American heritage is clear. Give it lots of power and make it go fast in a straight line. Check. Make sure it does burnouts. Check. Wait a second; we're out of boxes to check. Comfortable cockpit with practical storage? All-day freeway comfort? We can't even stow the narrow hardtop inside the car? Never mind that; send this car through production. In Detroit, we only drive sports cars on Sunday afternoons anyway.

This is the character behind a Solstice, and one not everyone can embrace. Don't expect to drive it to the mountains for a long vacation. Don't expect it to out-maneuver the Miata on a winding road. But be certain that when the light goes green, you'll smoke him and that jerk in the Porsche Cayman off the line every time.

The Solstice GXP is an American sports car. It makes the numbers, but it has an unrefined and brutish quality about it. From its stark interior to the balky action of the five-speed transmission's shift action, this car pays no mind to refinement. Look no further than the Chevrolet Corvette for the personality lesson.

When Personality Runs Out

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/spinaroundtown/09.pontiac.solstice.gxp.coupe/09.pontiac.solstice.coupe.gxp.act.f34.2.500.jpg

The Solstice GXP will never lose its looks, but its personality runs thin once the wear bars in the Goodyear tires start to show. Sure, we accept the Solstice as it is. But this car serves up a handful of crucial and unforgivable disappointments.

Some key functional obstacles in the Solstice coupe came righteously through the family tree. These ergonomic challenges of the roadster's interior design are well documented. Most remain unchanged in the coupe.

A lack of rear storage was another complaint on the roadster. Pontiac addressed this in developing the coupe, sort of. It added a flat rear load floor, in-floor rear storage cubbies and cupholders located behind each headrest. The optional Capuchin monkey package is a must-have to transport drinks from rear cupholder to hand, as they are otherwise inaccessible by either occupant.

According to Pontiac, no drivetrain or suspension changes were necessary to shift from roadster to coupe body structure, since the overall curb weight increase was minor. As a result, the handling characteristics remain unchanged. The suspension is still underdamped and feels like it hits the bump stops through transitions. This hampers slalom speed during our tests, which the GXP coupe completed at 66.7 mph. The Miata (70 mph) and 370Z (70.4 mph) were considerably quicker under similar conditions.

What's the Story Here?

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/spinaroundtown/09.pontiac.solstice.gxp.coupe/09.pontiac.solstice.coupe.gxp.act.r34.1.500.jpg

There is nothing ground-breaking about the 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe. Its new hardtop improves the looks of the already attractive roadster. But aside from this subtle change, the car remains a Solstice. The inherent limitations of this vehicle remain, no matter how much we hope they'll just go away.

Maybe we expect too much. Though it has been conceived as a Miata fighter, the Solstice seems to promise so much more in the way it looks and the way it performs, as if it really wants to be more like a Nissan Z-car, especially since it wears a price tag that's like that of a Z-car. But the result still seems strangely unfinished.

To find closure with the Solstice, we've decided to think of it as GM's project car — a work still in progress. All we can do is wait and hope that Pontiac earns enough cash to finish off this car's development and build us the Solstice we still long for.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/spinaroundtown/09.pontiac.solstice.gxp.coupe/09.pontiac.solstice.coupe.gxp.int.500.jpg

MSRP of Test Vehicle: $33,585

What Works: Innovative exterior design; 260-hp turbo engine.

What Needs Work: Interior ergonomics; lack of interior storage for hard top.

Bottom Line: Maybe we expect too much.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/spinaroundtown/09.pontiac.solstice.gxp.coupe/09.pontiac.solstice.coupe.gxp.act.f34.1.500.jpg

0 - 30 (sec): 2.1
0 - 45 (sec): 3.6
0 - 60 (sec): 5.5
0 - 75 (sec): 7.9
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.8 @ 100.3
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 5.2
30 - 0 (ft): 29
60 - 0 (ft): 117
Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Average
Slalom (mph): 66.7
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.84
Handling Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Good
Db @ Idle: 52.6
Db @ Full Throttle: 80.1
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 70.6
Edmunds Observed (mpg): 24.4

Acceleration Comments: There is too much rear tire grip to do a drop-clutch launch. So there's a bit of clutch-slipping finesse in a good launch. Shifter is OK, but clutch uptake is too close to the floor. This makes shift times slower. Engine sounds burdened but you can't argue with these numbers.

Handling Comments: Benign but stubborn understeer on the limit. Very, very difficult to kick the tail out. With ESC on "competitive" it actually kept the car on the arc better by applying the inside front brake. It has zero steering feel. This is one of the most frustrating cars in recent memory to slalom. Why? There is no sense of the car's limits or tire grip. The front-hinged seat bottom is distracting. Underdamped suspension feels like it's hitting the stops. Inherent understeer snaps into oversteer too quickly. But again, it makes a decent number despite all these shortcomings. Oh, one more. There is yaw delay followed by a huge gain from the soft suspension as the body rolls side to side.

Braking Comments: The first stop seemed like an anomaly -- all of the rest were 4-5 feet longer and less controlled, with bobbing nose and wiggling tail. Fade began after the sixth stop.

-Edmunds Review

Toms-SC
02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Cliff notes: Hot.

Destinova403
02-26-2009, 11:37 AM
:dunno: id drive it...

i need a cup holder though... where will i keep my big gulp

Tik-Tok
02-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403
:dunno: id drive it...

i need a cup holder though... where will i keep my big gulp

I test drove a Sky redline that has basically the same interior. It's got 3 in it, on the interior shot, 2 can't be seen because the back of the seats are in the way, and they are very inconvenient, but the 3rd is that little rectangle you (just barely) can see on the r/h side of the center console. It looks awkward, but is actually a really good place for one, if you're the type of driver to always have his hand on the shifter... (and so long as you don't have a male passenger)

I think a Sky coupe would be even hotter. Just not a fan of the soltice front end.

bituerbo
02-26-2009, 12:20 PM
curb weight vert':2860
curb weight coupe: 2930

Adding only 60lbs is pretty impressive, but I think I'd stick with the convertible. What does the hard-top bring to the table that the coupe does not? Giving it slightly more HP, citing the stiffened chassis' capability to withstand stronger forces might have been a cool marketing trick, and probably would have brought back existing owners to trade in their drop-top-gxp.

I know the removable hard top or 'targa' top is too large to fit in the trunk, or at least it was on non-gpx coupe's, I'd like to se an aftermarket batton'd softtop available, similar to the Elise/Exige.

heavyD
02-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Why do manufacturers dial so much understeer into their RWD platforms for supposedly sporty cars? I like the rear 3/4 view but the Sky looks so much better.

khtm
02-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Most important sentence in the review:

"And perhaps it's a measure of the intensity of this hope that our disappointment is so devastating."

Cliff notes: looks good but that's about it.

Toms-SC
02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Most important thing right now is both the Saturn Redline and Solstice GXP are holding their resale value. :banghead:.

Tik-Tok
02-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Most important thing right now is both the Saturn Redline and Solstice GXP are holding their resale value. :banghead:.

Not really... maybe better than your typical domestic, but they've still dropped about 15% per year.

atgilchrist
02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
If only they'd made a sky coupe.

403Gemini
02-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Tough to kick the tail end out? Who is their driver? Watching speed channel the last few weeks any drift competition i see the solstice's are doing phenomenal, even the bone stock engine ones...

http://formulad.com/standings/2008.php

Solstice is 3rd and 6th... i don't think that's too bad...

heavyD
02-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by khtm
Most important sentence in the review:

"And perhaps it's a measure of the intensity of this hope that our disappointment is so devastating."

Cliff notes: looks good but that's about it.

Strange review though. No excuse for the poor handling but it's like they expected this little car to have the utility of an SUV or something. The looks and straight line speed count for an awful lot and you can always address some of the suspension shortcomings with aftermarket parts.

Eleanor
02-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Saturn Sky > Solstice

I would love to see something like this:
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/attachments/f8/22855d1205151661-pontiac-solstice-targa-saturn-sky-2978.jpg

Mibz
02-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Tough to kick the tail end out? Who is their driver? Watching speed channel the last few weeks any drift competition i see the solstice's are doing phenomenal, even the bone stock engine ones...

http://formulad.com/standings/2008.php

Solstice is 3rd and 6th... i don't think that's too bad... Pretty sure the suspension is all aftermarket though.

Tik-Tok
02-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Probably wouldn't be hard to convert the entire front to the sky/opel, they're the same bloody car.

That would be freaking hot.

bwling
02-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Saturn Sky > Solstice

I would love to see something like this:
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/attachments/f8/22855d1205151661-pontiac-solstice-targa-saturn-sky-2978.jpg
Likewise :drool:

psycoticclown
02-26-2009, 05:41 PM
I would definitely take the Sky over the Solstice any day.

avow
02-27-2009, 02:27 AM
+5 for the sky coup. i always hated the solstice but i love the sky. reminds me of a mini corvette. :D

Mitsu3000gt
02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Never been a fan of these cars at all, GM had a chance to make something outstanding from the ground up and unsurprisingly still managed to release something less than impressive. Just another very average car that doesn't seem to perform as it should IMO. Every review I've read has commented on the sky/solstice's poor ergonomics as well. I also thought it would be way faster than 5.5 0-60 with 260/260. That's only a couple tenths of a second faster than some family sedans these days, and significantly slower than a WRX 265.

A790
02-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Never been a fan of these cars at all, GM had a chance to make something outstanding from the ground up and unsurprisingly still managed to release something less than impressive. Just another very average car that doesn't seem to perform as it should IMO. Every review I've read has commented on the sky/solstice's poor ergonomics as well. I also thought it would be way faster than 5.5 0-60 with 260/260. That's only a couple tenths of a second faster than some family sedans these days, and significantly slower than a WRX 265.

WRX265 = different kind of car completely. Turbo + AWD versus a RWD 2 seater coupe.

I agree that the car should be faster given what it's offering and where its potential lies, but it's not a terrible car.

403Gemini
02-27-2009, 11:37 AM

How about we compare it to the same type of car

2009 Mazda Miata, Grand Touring - 2.0L 167 HP@7000RPM , 140tq@5000RPM - MSRP $28,190
2009 Honda S2000 - 2.2.L 237 HP@7800RPM, 162tq@6800RPM - MSRP $37,995 USD
2009 BMW Z4 - 3.0L 255 HP@6600RPM, 220tq@2750RPM - MSRP $42,700
2009 Saturn Sky, Redline - 2.0L 260 HP@5300RPM, 260tq@2500RPM - MSRP $33,110 USD

Yeah, you're right , GM doesn't know what they're doing at all... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Mibz
Pretty sure the suspension is all aftermarket though.

Yeah , more than likely, but i believe he was doing that well with the 2.4L NA engine which only puts out about 171 hp. Still not too shabby if you think of that. Also knowing that a car can keep up and do that well with stock internals and only suspension upgrades shows that it is mod friendly which is a big deal to car enthusiasts, not just daily drivers.

atgilchrist
02-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I also thought it would be way faster than 5.5 0-60 with 260/260. That's only a couple tenths of a second faster than some family sedans these days, and significantly slower than a WRX 265.

Since when is 5.5 slow? I agree, could have been faster, but that is still quick.

Mitsu3000gt
02-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

Since when is 5.5 slow? I agree, could have been faster, but that is still quick.

5.5 isn't slow, but more and more "regular" cars are able to reach 0-60 in that range these days that aren't marketed as sports cars, so I am less impressed by it. Straight line performance isn't everything though, and it also is outperformed by a Honda Fit in the slalom.

I'm not saying the car is slow, crappy, or whatever. Considering GM designed this one from the ground up, it is just my opinion that it could have been much better, that's all.