PDA

View Full Version : celiac diet

Kritafo
02-26-2009, 11:50 AM
anyone here dealing with Celiac? anyone have any recipes they would like to share?

Some of the things we have tried from the mixes have been pretty horrible.

pinoyhero
02-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Mixes?

I eat paleo which is basically what you're dealing with but even more restrictive. What exactly are you looking for wrt to recipes? Dinners, breakfasts, snacks?

Kritafo
02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Just seeing if anyone else has celiac on here. My son was recently diagnosed. Just looking for anyone to share with tips on food...maybe share a recipe, what they enjoy while on the diet etc.

He is also Soy/and dairy intolerant so it's making just going grocery shopping very difficult.

I have never heard of the Paleo diet, and just looked it up, sounds interesting, thanks because I totally forgot about dehydrating food.

pinoyhero
02-28-2009, 05:21 PM
^Yeah I take in no dairy/soy/gluten/rice/legumes

Not sure how old your son is but average day for me is ...

Breaky - eggs and sausage with some frozen berries on the side

Lunch 1 - Spinach salad with some meat (chicken, pork, beef whatever)

Lunch 2 - Apple and left over meat or a can of tuna and a handful of nuts

Dinner - Veggies and meat with some fruit for desert.

Snacks throughout the day are fruits and veggies, beef jerky, nuts and Larabars ... costco is your friend.

Kritafo
02-28-2009, 05:47 PM
my son is 12. Costco has always been my friend but they don't sell brown rice wraps or any Gluten free bread.

Most sausage I have found has gluten, Freybe and Hormel seem to be fine. But even some of the casing add wheat as the binding agent.

I have been roasting turkey's on the weekend for cold meat, and tuna is fine. Other than that lots of the pre-packaged cold meats contain gluten, wheat and soy. I did find out that Carl Buddig is gluten free. So that was a positive.

I will be picking up Larabars tomorrow then. I just went to the website. Sounds like they will make a good locker break snack. Thanks for the tip on those.

schocker
02-28-2009, 06:27 PM
I have a few relatives who have celiac. These are some websites you could try for some recipies

http://www.calgaryceliac.com/
http://www.celiac.com/categories/Gluten%252dFree-Recipes/
Bread wise, I think the ones I know just end up making their own bread with rice flour since gluten free bread can be hard to find.

Kritafo
02-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I have a few relatives who have celiac. These are some websites you could try for some recipies

http://www.celiac.com/categories/Gluten%252dFree-Recipes/
Bread wise, I think the ones I know just end up making their own bread with rice flour since gluten free bread can be hard to find.

I have been on lots of the sites, and was very happy to see the Calgary site has restaurants listed.

Bread isn't all that hard to find, they sell it right at superstore, they even have wraps. Everything I have made so far... sucks from most of the recipes. The mixes I have bought haven't been much better, it something that we are just going to have to get use to I guess.

5hift
02-28-2009, 07:24 PM
You probably already know about them, but there are a few stores in Calgary that sell foods specifcally made for gluten free diets. My sister has the same problem and buys a lot from them. Some of these sites also have recipes for making food yourself. Some of these stores also have food made specifically to look more appealing to picky kids.

http://www.diabeticdepot.com/index.htm
http://www.earthsoven.com/

Also:

There is a gluten-free bakery in Marda Loop

Community Health Foods

Amaranth Whole Foods Market

Planet Organic Market in the SW off Elbow Drive - most gluten-free and dairy free options that I have ever seen

Kritafo
02-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Lakeview as well, they are a well known allergy bakery.

It's just the cost at some of these places.

Paid $8.50 for a small loaf of bread at Lakeview Monday. Wraps at superstore are $3.99 bread there is around $5.00 I believe.

Thanks all!

Canmorite
02-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Community foods is great for gluten-free food. As for bread, I use Kinnikinnick Foods products. Safeway carries them in the dessert freezers near the bakeries usually. Best one I've found out there. A loaf is $5.49.

Definitely see a dietitian or someone very knowledgeable on the subject. It was an incredibly hard switch to make.

Kritafo
02-28-2009, 10:44 PM
yes we are having a tough time switching, thanks for the bread info. We will definitely try that one. I just got home from superstore where it was a very painful trip looking up ingredients. Seriously we were 2 hours. It looks more like we shopped for a vegetarian. lol! I think we are going to try the breadless lunches though, my son is totally miserable right now.

pinoyhero
03-01-2009, 09:03 AM
^ Sorry to hear your son's not in the best of spirits right now, hopefully it will pass quickly. A bit too young for this comment, but he will be ripped not eating carbs, ladies will love that in the future :)

Other ideas (sorry if some repeats)

-eggs (omlettes with various meats and veggies or just scrambles) - you can get them at costco which might be a good idea given how many you might start going through
- frozen berries from costco - i get a pack of blueberries, cherries and strawberries when i go - good just frozen, thawed in micro or in shakes with some juice
- check in with spolumbos those are the sausages I eat, not sure if they have gluten or not but they have lots of flavours for variety - most co-ops carry them
- nuts - i get mixed nuts, almonds and certain trail mixes from costco
- already mentioned larabars - they are expensive ($1.50 each at costco but $2.50 - $3 everywhere else) and small but worth it IMO
- fruits - I've always got a whack of apples, oranges, bananas and cut up pineapple around
- veggies - precut broc, celery sticks are good too dipped in PB (I use almond butter)
- frozen chicken breast from costco - lots of diff flavours, not sure if celiac friendly though but I get a few bags each trip
- try all of the meats in rotation since pasta dinners will be off the menu - chicken, pork, beef, fish, lamb
- home made hamburgers, just eat without the bun (wife and I do all the time)
- chilli
- tuna salads (without mayo unless thats OK)
- beef jerky ... yes costco. it was on sale this week too i believe

Check this site out for breakfasts and some other ideas ... http://nikkisblogspot.com/

Kritafo
03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
here is the good news.

I have always kept our freezer full of Costco fruit and buy bags of mixed nuts but have to be careful because some of them have soy. Plus we had our own cherries, strawberries, honeyberries and raspberries. We use it for smoothie type drinks and pancakes, last night we bought the gluten free mix.

We are Costco shoppers, we go once a week for our fresh fruit, veggies and meats.

Actually I will have to look at my spolumbos sausage, I know I have some in the freezer. We also have Elk sausage from Rocky Mountain ranch, but that is going to require a phone call about the casings.

Beef Jerky, I buy my own steak to cut up and dehydrate. I can make so many different flavours all at once, they tend to love the peppered stuff. We use our dehydrator all the time. You should try your own, it's really easy and tastes great.

Since we grow so much of our own stuff it's just wonderful to dehydrate our own fruit for leathers without all the crap the stores add.

Bought wheat free/gluten free pasta last night at superstore got a good size bag for 1.99 so I was happy about that. Not that we were big pasta eaters but it's just another meal. Plus all our tomato sauce is our own. So I know exactly what went into it. I am doing to look into making my own pasta today.

I don't care if the larabars are expensive if I can have something I can throw into a backpack that is pre-made and he likes it. We will be going this afternoon for our costco trip. They will be perfect on martial arts nights.

Thanks for all your input, sometimes it take someone bouncing back ideas for me to realize some of the things that are easy to do, and not feel so stressed on what he can't eat. This seems like it will be easier than I thought it would be. I will check out the website.

USED1
03-02-2009, 10:00 AM
There is a bakery in Cochrane - GF Patisserie, they seem to be reasonably priced.

Canmorite
03-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
yes we are having a tough time switching, thanks for the bread info. We will definitely try that one. I just got home from superstore where it was a very painful trip looking up ingredients. Seriously we were 2 hours. It looks more like we shopped for a vegetarian. lol! I think we are going to try the breadless lunches though, my son is totally miserable right now.

To be honest, It's a total bitch at first. I hated it, but you learn to live with it. Your son is probably going through the same thing.

Once you learn what you can and can't have, shopping is really easy. I don't even think twice anymore, I know what I can put in my buggy and what stays on the shelf.

Pinoyhero put up a good list. There are tons of gluten free alternatives out there, just have to shop around and find recipes. There are gluten free cookbooks which are great.

Good luck! I could imagine convincing someone as young as that to not eat wheat would be very difficult.

EDIT: Spolumbos sausages are gluten-free (most of them anyway) I buy them all the time.

Kritafo
03-02-2009, 11:48 AM
We are going to the Dr's tonight to see how we are doing. Keeping a food diary etc.

Yes the shopping felt overwhelming. Good new is, my son will pretty much eat whatever is put in front of him. lol!

More than anything he just wants to stop talking about it, and get to the point of not thinking about it. Good thing he is no taking Foods in school right now, he would be pretty irritated.

Amysicle
03-11-2009, 08:38 AM
SAIT has some gluten free cooking courses if you're interested.

http://sait.ca/pages/about/news/newsreleases/2009/GlutenFree.shtml

Kritafo
03-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks I had no idea! That is great, I would have never thought to look there!

pinoyhero
03-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Huge win Ive being going with nearly 2x a day for 2 weeks, can't get enough ...

Go buy a magic bullet for $40 from Can Tire

Put in a handful of spinach (wicked healthy) and some fruit (frozen berries from costco work awesome), add some water and blast. You can not taste the spinach, if you can just add more fruit and less spin.

Very quick in the AM, loving it.

Something else I tried for a bit of a treat ... fruit and almond milk, more milk shakey. Also going to try with coconut milk.

sdiep
03-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Oh +1 for almond milk. Love it.