PDA

View Full Version : anyone have an evo 8 and evo 9?

Sorath
02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
i really want to buy an evo 9 mr, but i dont want to run into the same problem as my sti. i rushed into it and it turns out i dont like it at all. so i was wondering if i could take a test drive in it as i cant find any local to drive. i wanna know if im wasting my time or not.

QuasarCav
02-26-2009, 01:45 PM
What did you not like about the STi?

I have similar issues with the WRX where I probably should have waited to buy something that fit my driving style more than gobs of mid range torque and nothing else.

n1zm0
02-26-2009, 01:48 PM
95EagleAWD has one iirc, very nice one too

Sorath
02-26-2009, 01:57 PM
I hated the fact that the car understeers way too much.
The rattles drive me crazy, i assume the mitsu is no better in that aspect.
The fact that theres not as many aftermarket support as the evo.
I've always liked the evo better, when i bought the sti i got a pretty good deal so i figured they were both the same, and i didnt drive the evo before i bought the sti.
The #1 reason i dont like it is because whenever i drive the sti i feel like im losing the "fun to drive" aspect. I felt my Civic SI was more fun to drive.

Therefore before i make a big jump again i need to drive an evo.

That would be great if ryan would let me drive his :P

J@Tuner
02-26-2009, 02:38 PM
The Evo's are awesome cars but depending on what you are looking at spending and maybe some other deciding factors, the STI may be better to keep and modify.

Are you happy with the styling of the STI?
How about the layout and the car in general?

Items like the car understeers, can easily be fixed. There is TONS of aftermarket support for the STI's that will most definatly bring back your fun to drive experience that you feel you are loosing.

Sorath
02-26-2009, 02:40 PM
i think i`d still like to drive the evo before i do that

J@Tuner
02-26-2009, 02:42 PM
No doubt, let us know what you think about the 8 vs. 9 vs. STI as it would be interesting to see what you have to say about the 3 different vehicles.

r3ccOs
02-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I think if you want a more substantial car, you'll have to move beyond its class to look into S4 territory.

However, the fun factor is one that would make me look towards finding a old JDM Honda SIR or a Integra Type R

Sorath
02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
im looking for a practical daily drive that is fun. i dont want to get into euro, dont know why i just dont like them very much, but if i did i`d get a 335. but im pretty set on what car i want but thanks for your opinions.

heavyD
02-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
I hated the fact that the car understeers way too much.:P
That's not a problem with the EVO IX granted it's set in 'Tarmac' mode.

The rattles drive me crazy, i assume the mitsu is no better in that aspect.:P
Rattles are part of the Subaru experience or so I've been told. The EVO IX may not have as many rattles but you could argue it has a more basic (plain) interior. Recaro seats are amongst the best in the business though (unless your fat).

The fact that theres not as many aftermarket support as the evo.:P
True but there is still a fair bit of support for the STI.

I've always liked the evo better, when i bought the sti i got a pretty good deal so i figured they were both the same, and i didnt drive the evo before i bought the sti.:P
They are similar in performance but have completely different personalities.

The #1 reason i dont like it is because whenever i drive the sti i feel like im losing the "fun to drive" aspect. I felt my Civic SI was more fun to drive.:P
Everyone's definition of fun is different but the EVO is considered in most tests to be the more exciting car to drive because of the extremely quick steering and raw go-cart feel.

If you drive an EVO make sure that you drive one as close as stock as possible because modded cars can vary greatly in feel. Also make sure that you realize completely that the EVO is a more hardcore car than the STI which is great on the track but tiresome daily for alot of people. You may get blown away on a test drive but get tired of driving a track car everyday. It will have a rougher ride, a bit more turbo lag (has a larger turbocharger than the STI), and may fetch unwanted attention since it's pretty rare in these parts.

Edit: The IX is preferable to the VIII as it has a larger turbo, MIVEC (which eliminates some lag and can be tuned to add more power), as well as other teaks.

Sorath
02-26-2009, 04:03 PM
i shouldve listened to u at the beginning heavyd, now im just regreting every moment. But yeah definately if i were to get an evo it would be a 9 because of the less turbo lag. i just wanted to get a feel for the car thats why i didnt think it mattered if i drove an 8 or 9

Generic
02-26-2009, 04:24 PM
my friend had a modded STI and it was a blast to drive. I drove it for a week, I loved it :dunno:
He put a nice set of coilovers, sway kit in the front and rear, strut bars, and it handled great.
He used dual side tape in all the screws, took out the door panels, and put it all together really nicely. No squeaks.

i'd still take an Evo over an STI though, from what I hear the Evo is even more of a track car.

4doorj
02-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Did you already sell your STI?

4doorj
02-26-2009, 11:24 PM
I felt my Civic SI was more fun to drive.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/images/smilies/vtec228.gif

95EagleAWD
02-26-2009, 11:43 PM
I'll bring mine to Calgary next time I'm there around Easter if you're still looking.

Sorath
02-27-2009, 12:46 AM
ryan u the man :D

heavyD
02-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
I'll bring mine to Calgary next time I'm there around Easter if you're still looking.

How do you like the IX? I took one for a brief drive in Salt Lake city but that was a few years back. The thing I remember most was the quickness of the steering. Not a car you want to sip a scalding hot coffee in one hand and steer with the other.:D

bigboom
02-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

How do you like the IX? I took one for a brief drive in Salt Lake city but that was a few years back. The thing I remember most was the quickness of the steering. Not a car you want to sip a scalding hot coffee in one hand and steer with the other.:D

doesnt he have the VIII with the turbo from the IX?

heavyD
02-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by bigboom

doesnt he have the VIII with the turbo from the IX?

My bad. For some reason I had it in my mind that he had an IX.

403Gemini
02-27-2009, 11:53 AM
i shouldve listened to u at the beginning heavyd, now im just regreting every moment. But yeah definately if i were to get an evo it would be a 9 because of the less turbo lag. i just wanted to get a feel for the car thats why i didnt think it mattered if i drove an 8 or 9

Haha dude you make it sound like the STI gave you the HIV ;)

Honestly I heard they are fairly comparable, for daily driving the STI is supposed to be more comfortable, but for tracking, the evo should be better. I personally love my subaru, its one of the best cars I have ever driven but I am extremely curious about other cars on the market. I'd love to get a ride in a evo just to see how the pull feels :thumbsup:

403Gemini
02-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Let me know, I wouldn't mind checking it out in person ! I don't want to drive it... though I wouldn't turn down a co-piolet position ;)

4WARNED
02-27-2009, 11:58 AM
I sold my VIII in October, but had the pleasure of driving it for 3 years. I could also get the father-in-laws MY05 STi for spirited drives when i wanted to...(both completely stock)

My comments:

EVO
Tighter, tidier suspension tuning, with great steering.
Better shifter, but buzzy on the highway - needed a 6th gear (and getting that 6th gear is a catch22...better for daily car but worse for mods)
Rough roads are not fun, but the Recaros soak up some of the bumps...you will feel every bump in the road...
Cheap interior...but way more room than the STi.
Factory alignment specs equate to short tire life (and i didn't even track my car or launch it)..
Performance wise - STi seemed to jump off the line quicker, but the EVO would pull even once the turbo kicked in ...
Lots of looks, because there still aren't many on the roads....(compared to STi's)
No fancy diffs unless you get an 04-06 evo...
No cruise control - might be important or not...
Brakes are fantastic and the car stops RFN....
better car for asphalt...

STi.
Cheap(er) exterior paint - easy to chip
Interior much classier, once you get passed the smurf blue...
Better daily driver - suspension more forgiving...
Boxer engine sound and exhaust note...
Warranty still in tact, whereas EVO VIII's and IX's do not get to keep their warranties from the states...
driver selectable diffs
6 speed and cruise
better car for rally/gravel.....

It all depends what you're looking for.....

Hopefully it's an already landed evo 9 that you're looking for....the damn exchange, duty and other fees puts the surcharge of a US evo at almost another 40%....i.e. $25K US becomes $35K cdn...

that's what is currently stopping me from picking up another one....for now....

Chris

Sorath
02-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Haha dude you make it sound like the STI gave you the HIV ;)

Honestly I heard they are fairly comparable, for daily driving the STI is supposed to be more comfortable, but for tracking, the evo should be better. I personally love my subaru, its one of the best cars I have ever driven but I am extremely curious about other cars on the market. I'd love to get a ride in a evo just to see how the pull feels :thumbsup:

sti's are completely different from wrx's.

im not interested in the "pull" of a car, the pull in the sti is definately sufficient. its more the feel of a car

Aleks
02-27-2009, 01:06 PM

sti's are completely different from wrx's.

Agreed, WRX is a way better car to DD.

jakeobus
03-01-2009, 09:03 AM
how much are you looking to sell you're sti for if you do? =P

Eleanor
03-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Recaro seats are amongst the best in the business though (unless your fat). Or a girl with hips. My GF sat in an Evo X at the CAS and found it extremely uncomfortable.

heavyD
03-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Or a girl with hips. My GF sat in an Evo X at the CAS and found it extremely uncomfortable.

See I would look at that as a plus; "If you want to sit comfortably in my car you need to spend more time on the treadmill babe.":D

Sorath
03-02-2009, 01:53 PM
im testdriving an evo x tonight. i`ll post my thoughts on it after the test drive.

Eleanor
03-02-2009, 01:57 PM
See I would look at that as a plus; "If you want to sit comfortably in my car you need to spend more time on the treadmill babe.":D You can't change bone structure on a treadmill ;)

Her hip bones were digging in on the side bolsters, she's also pretty tall too though ~5'10"

Sorath
03-02-2009, 07:47 PM
so i drove the evo x mr today. i have to say im impressed.

I like how the car rides. the steering is nice and tight. the quick shift is amazing as well its kinda cool it auto downshifts for u. The seats are SOOOOO comfortable compared to the sti seats. If i had to pick the evo x vs the new sti i`d pick the new evo hands down.

The bad: fuck is the interior ever cheap looking. Salesperson asked me if i wanted to take a look at the trunk. i took a look and said what trunk? seems like the only way to go is the MR premium. too bad its too much and i cant afford it. not too crazy about the styling either. but the evo 9 looks promising. Can't wait to drive one

benyl
03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
You can't change bone structure on a treadmill ;)

"Dat's one BIG bitch"

haha

xPRimNT
03-03-2009, 01:04 PM
so i drove the evo x mr today. i have to say im impressed.

I like how the car rides. the steering is nice and tight. the quick shift is amazing as well its kinda cool it auto downshifts for u. The seats are SOOOOO comfortable compared to the sti seats. If i had to pick the evo x vs the new sti i`d pick the new evo hands down.

The bad: fuck is the interior ever cheap looking. Salesperson asked me if i wanted to take a look at the trunk. i took a look and said what trunk? seems like the only way to go is the MR premium. too bad its too much and i cant afford it. not too crazy about the styling either. but the evo 9 looks promising. Can't wait to drive one

You get used to it. I mean, who really needs a trunk anyway :thumbsup:

If you're looking for an 8 or 9, you'll be happy with whatever you end up with. They are very similar, so the trick is finding a good one, in decent condition.

Good luck!

X_EVO_X
03-05-2009, 01:19 PM
The trunk is tiny... they moved the battery and washer reservoir behind the back seats to make room under the hood and improve weight distribution. A humungous oil cooler sits where the washer reservoir should be and the intercooler / intake plumbing eats up battery space. Unfortunately there is no pass-thru at all... if you want to carry skis or snowboards you're gonna hav eto loko at a roof rack.

I'm disappointed that they don't build the Evo in the new Sportback body style.