PDA

View Full Version : What to do after HS Grad?

bamboo_warrier
02-26-2009, 08:29 PM
im only in grade 11, but im wondering whats best t0 d0 after high school grdatuation? is it wise t0 skip a year and work or should i attend college right away? thanks

dj_rice
02-26-2009, 08:31 PM
You should go attend college right away cause your spelling is horrible

eblend
02-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
You should go attend college right away cause your spelling is horrible

haha beat me to it, yah don't write like a retard expecting real advice

I say HS diploma is prolly all you will even need anyways (all other normal people if at all possible go to post secondary right away as taking a year to work means you will probably never go back to school)

chkolny541
02-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by eblend

all other normal people if at all possible go to post secondary right away as taking a year to work means you will probably never go back to school

werd, and you better start studying for the english diploma exam now

TACO.VIDAL
02-26-2009, 08:41 PM
work for the summer until the fall time. save your cash. late fall early winter take a trip to europe or asia or australia. before you go, get applications ready to university or college when you get back. come back the following summer. enjoy summer at home and work to save some more money then go back to sch00l. you can change the timing but otherwise g00d plan. brah!

Hakkola
02-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Don't go to school until you know what you want to do.

bamboo_warrier
02-26-2009, 08:46 PM
All right all right, thanks everyone.

Check it out everyone, first off, improved spelling.

Taco: is this what you did? and out of the three places, which one is the best?

In terms of part-time work, where's the best place to work (no food/restaurants)?

Konj
02-26-2009, 08:55 PM
After HS go back to HK.

vipstyle2
02-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Restaurants = TIPS
as a student those are plenty !

KRyn
02-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Work, make coin and fuck every girl you possibly can. Then travel and fuck every other girl you can.

rockwolf2001
02-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by bamboo_warrier

In terms of part-time work, where's the best place to work (no food/restaurants)?

several options here, all depends on what you want to do in the future when you're actually returning to school.

You can get a full time job that pays really well and then you quit once you go back to school (construction, mechanic)

You could get a full time job that pays moderate and is able to be switched into a part time job once you enroll in school (working at the mall clothing stores)
- this is the type of job i have, and from personal experience a job like this is perfect for students because it gives a lot of flexibility while bringing in the money to pay for student loans. try and find a commissioned job, you'll end up getting paid more usually

You could get a seasonal job (golf course during summer, COP running the chair lift during the winter)
(my friend does this, says he's really happy because his job changes when the snow is gone, so it changes things up)

you could get an internship downtown, some are paid most aren't, but this is HUGE networking

bamboo_warrier
02-26-2009, 09:01 PM
im not allowed to go back to hong kong..i can only go to mainland and fuck them ugly big sixers..

now what do i do?

bamboo_warrier
02-26-2009, 09:05 PM
i apologize for that outburst.

for internships, i need my diploma right, or do they look for hs students too?

rockwolf2001
02-26-2009, 09:13 PM
i apologize for that outburst.

for internships, i need my diploma right, or do they look for hs students too?

i know when i was in high school, employers actually came to our school to find interns
of course it was non-paid, but my friend ended up doing it last summer and he says that he still gets emails from coworkers just to see how he's doing and such
its huge networking for the future and he's planning to go back for a paid position to work when uni gets out in early may

JAYMEZ
02-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

:werd: , I wasted fucking years doing shit I didnt want to do.

If I had graduated I would have probably made like 40-50k a year..

Not having a degree and working in something any guy would die to do, I make a few times more than I would with my degree , plus i get to see and go to some crazy places.

Thomas Gabriel
02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
After grad? Probably go to the warehouse and drop some E.

bamboo_warrier
02-26-2009, 09:22 PM
so what did u end up d0in

Konj
02-26-2009, 09:23 PM
im not allowed to go back to hong kong ..i can only go to mainland and fuck them ugly big sixers..

now what do i do?

Then you are probably not allowed to be in Canada.
I am calling the immigration office.

msommers
02-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Completely agree, without a doubt.

You wouldn't believe how many people have the idea in their head that go to college/university right after HS or you're fucked. Unless you know what you're wanting to do, or at least have a really good idea, going to post-secondary is a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

In my opinion, travel, work, volunteer, spend money on stupid shit, party your brains out.... Traveling really does something to you, I don't know how to describe it. You experience so many things, come back with expanded horizons and, normally, are ready to settle down and finish shit up.

Good luck, and stop using 0's as O's for fuck sakes.

HiTempguy1
02-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Completely agree, without a doubt.

You wouldn't believe how many people have the idea in their head that go to college/university right after HS or you're fucked. Unless you know what you're wanting to do, or at least have a really good idea, going to post-secondary is a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

For instance, I went into engineering. It INTERESTED me, and I THOUGHT IT was cool, AND I thought it was FOR me. Then, I realised I'd be spending four years of my life just barely passing, and spending four years of my life under constant stress. So I wasted two terms worth of tuition money, and a year of my life learning something that wasn't for me. If I would have went straight into a technologist program like I am now (Instrumentation engineering technology), I would have had a job a year ago. Things worked out for me, as I got a government job and basically have been following my passion (racing) for the past 1.5 years. But it was a hard lesson learned.

So if you aren't 100% sure what you want to do, wait a bit. It is a HUGE commitment (you're married to school for X number of years essentially), so don't take it lightly. If you are interested in a specific field, try to get some experience with it as an entry level position person.

My 2 cents!

jsn
02-26-2009, 11:50 PM
As long as you can drag yourself back to school, I'd take a year or two off and figure out what you want to do first. I went straight into school and into a major I ended up hating. Now I'm only 2 to 3 years into a new major that i switched into even though I've been in school for 5.

But the other side to the argument is that you may not figure out what it is you want to take in school unless you've taken a few courses in different fields... I only figured out what I wanted to do by taking a geology course.