PDA

View Full Version : Q about double clutching...

EstoMax
10-12-2003, 10:53 PM
i was just reading tutorials on how ppl do it and i read that they say to let the clutch back out after u take the car out of gear, then blip the throttle, and then put the clutch back in and put it into a lower gear.. why do i havta let the clutch out? when i do it i usually keep the clutch in, take the gear out, blip the throttle the the proper rpm, put it into gear, and let the clutch out. i mean the extra up and down movement for the clutch is pointless since in neutral it doesnt do anything anyway

max

szw
10-12-2003, 11:06 PM
nope being in neutral is different from simply holding your clutch in while you blip the throttle.

The reasoning has been covered here before so you could try to search for the thread.

Moonracer
10-12-2003, 11:08 PM
I think it has something to do with the synchos. Why are you wanting to double clutch anyway? If you have a synchro prob then maybe......but otherwise it's not necessary.

EK 2.0
10-12-2003, 11:09 PM
But...if you are "Granny Shifting, not double clutching like you should..." Kidding...I couldn't resist sorry...Ok one more..."You are lucky you didn't blow the welds on the intake..."

Moonracer
10-12-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
But...if you are "Granny Shifting, not double clutching like you should..." Kidding...I couldn't resist sorry...Ok one more..."You are lucky you didn't blow the welds on the intake..."

:rolleyes:

gpomp
10-12-2003, 11:14 PM
If you can double clutch properly, you can downshift into first gear going ~30-40km/h but there's really not much point to that...

Fiery_Ramen
10-12-2003, 11:16 PM
lol

GT2NV
10-13-2003, 12:01 AM
save your synchros double clutch! , plus it sounds tight.. lol im a ricer at heart

Moonracer
10-13-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by black94gt
save your synchros double clutch! , plus it sounds tight.. lol im a ricer at heart

Hmmmm double clutch cause it "sounds tight" :werd:
It's really not necessary but whatever you can do what you want. :)

ryder_23
10-13-2003, 01:00 AM
rev matching is also good for a smoother ride, atleast i find..and other reasons, but thats main reason i choose to do it whenever

sxtasy
10-13-2003, 01:03 AM
If you drive AutoX style double clutch saves your clutch

Moonracer
10-13-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy

Yeah but single clutching and using heal & toe is faster!

sxtasy
10-13-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer

Yeah but single clutching and using heal & toe is faster! true, I have driven a lot of big trucks and you have to double clutch to shift smoothly, for smaller car you don't really need to

Moonracer
10-13-2003, 01:28 AM
true, I have driven a lot of big trucks and you have to double clutch to shift smoothly, for smaller car you don't really need to

:thumbsup:

EstoMax
10-13-2003, 02:34 AM
ok ill go search. i wanna know whats the difference between single and double clutching.. how can bein in neutral with clutch down be any diff with it bein clutch up

tnx for the posts
max

Skyline_Addict
10-13-2003, 03:22 AM
yeah, when you're in neutral gear it's not the same is being in gear and stepping on the clutch as being in neutral does not require balancing as it does in gear. I guess in otherwords so to say, clutch down does not = neutral. throttle it in neutral without the clutch down, then shift into low gear so you land in high rpm range. that's how I do it..apparently with the clutch down, it's different. it wouldn't make a diff how you did it with my slow-mo.

pinoyhero
10-13-2003, 08:19 AM
All I know is Vin Diesel says its cool so you better do it to be a true street racer.

hondatt
10-13-2003, 09:18 AM
When you double clutch, you engage the clutch twice. the first time is to put your transmission in neutral rev matching and the second time to put it in a gear. The reasoning for rev matching in neutral as oppose to holding the clutch down is to let the syncro's match your rev. When you hold down the clutch, you don't let the syncro's match the rev.

Sean7
10-13-2003, 10:35 AM

I fail to see how using your clutch twice as much (double clutching) "saves your clutch". I can see it prolonging the life of your synchros but not your clutch. Maybe you can enlighten me.

method
10-13-2003, 11:50 AM
double clutching doesnt save your clutch...

double clutching is a waste of time, the synchros are there for a reason, all it's going to do is make the shifts smoother and waste time.

too many movies...

EstoMax
10-13-2003, 12:27 PM
i think double clutching doesnt damage ur clutch at all.. you arent using it twice as much. you are only using the clutch spring twice as much cause you are pushing the pedal in twice. but in neutral the clutch doesnt rub against anything so it makes no difference. i now understand double clutching. saving syncros is good cause those r prolly expensive to repair right?

max

THREE40SEVEN
10-13-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by hondatt
When you double clutch, you engage the clutch twice. the first time is to put your transmission in neutral rev matching and the second time to put it in a gear. The reasoning for rev matching in neutral as oppose to holding the clutch down is to let the syncro's match your rev. When you hold down the clutch, you don't let the syncro's match the rev.
Can you explain "match the rev" please? What is being matched?

littledan
10-13-2003, 01:24 PM
damn... ha i double clutch into 5th gear when my tranny is cold to prevent the grind *shudder* but when you are driving a car with synchros normally you don't have to double clutch. revmatching on a downshift is a must though, unless you want to drive all jerky.

hjr
10-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Double clutching is an outdated shifting technique. In passanger automobiles, the tranny's have syncros which speed up, or slow down the speed the gear shaft? is spinning. For example, when going from 4 to 5, the engine is now at a lower RPM for the same speed. The syncro's slow the tranny down to this speed so you can get it into 5th. The reason for double clutching is for trannys in old pre-syncro cars, or big rigs, which for some reason (i dont know my rigs that well) still need to be double clutched. Because there are no syncro's the tranny will spin at whatever speed it wants (kinda). for example- 5 to 4. you push the clutch in an pull it out of gear into neutral, then release the clutch and blip the throttle picking up the speed of the tranny. Now you push in the clutch again and pop it into gear, release it and drive. all double clutching does is take the place of syncros.

Ashkente
10-13-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

Can you explain "match the rev" please? What is being matched?

Input/output shaft speeds in the tranny

illeagle
10-13-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
All I know is Vin Diesel says its cool so you better do it to be a true street racer. His name is Dom.

method
10-13-2003, 06:32 PM
LOL

googe
10-13-2003, 06:45 PM
Double clutching doesnt reduce clutch wear, it protects your transmission. Its mostly a pain in the ass and increases shift time. This problem has been solved with the invention of the synchromesh. Your car has one, so, dont double clutch :)

SwitchBlade
10-13-2003, 11:12 PM
Man if you wanna be really kool you gotta double torque convert ur automatic tranny ;) :thumbsup:

THREE40SEVEN
10-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Ashkente

Input/output shaft speeds in the tranny
I wasn't expecting the right answer:rolleyes: ;)

GTS Jeff
10-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by EstoMax
ok ill go search. i wanna know whats the difference between single and double clutching.. how can bein in neutral with clutch down be any diff with it bein clutch up

tnx for the posts
max

having the clutch "up" while in neutral engages the layshaft. this way, when u revmatch, u are revmatching the engine AND the layshaft. normally the syncros will revmatch the layshaft for u, so dbl clutching is useless. however, when your syncros are beat like mine, they dont fuckin work half the time, so ive gotten into the habit of dbl clutching certain shifts.

Originally posted by method
double clutching doesnt save your clutch... but revmatching does.

Ashkente
10-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

I wasn't expecting the right answer:rolleyes: ;)

I see..sorry I spoiled the fun :rofl:

Daxin
10-16-2003, 12:04 AM
I only dble clutch when I'm down gearing from 5th to 3rd to pass on the highway.

I've had my syncro replaced and they cost around $70 for the part, but cost the same labor as changing a clutch.

ByDefault
10-16-2003, 08:46 PM
The common rumor/myth/urban legend/fact/whatever around my town is that double clutching keeps the V-Tech from disengaging when you shift.... Don't ask, I own a Honda but Iv never bothered with double clutching.. but I don't race much cept among my friends. Hearsay?