PDA

View Full Version : Honda F1 is back -- return as Brawn GP

Team_Mclaren
02-27-2009, 03:34 AM
not yet official, just several reports that Brawn and co. (including Fry unfortunately) took over and also convinced honda to continue with the team.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/02/27/newspapers-claim-honda-f1-deal-done/

all the drama of selling the team, and yet Fry likely fucked it over again :banghead:

buh_buh
02-27-2009, 09:16 AM
:clap: for Brackley F1

:guns: :guns: :guns: for Nick Fry

If it indeed is still Honda backing the outfit, they shouldve just not pulled out in the first place and not wasted these 3 months of R&D and testing. I suspect they were going to be midpack this year scoring consistent points, and instead they're most likely going to be a backmarker again.

Mibz
02-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Word is that the team is on the verge of mutiny though...

I agree that, at best, they should've called 2009 a wash and just done 2010 right.

buh_buh
02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
they can't really do it "right". They barely scraped together enough money to form a team this year. What makes you think they could put together enough money to develop a car for an entire year, then run it in 2010? I'm assuming Bernie threw money at this too, and I suspect he only did to get the full 20 cars on the grid for this year. I wouldn't be that surprised, in fact I'm pretty sure Brackley F1 won't be around next year unless someone does buy them out.

edit: just read the article, and indeed Bernie is funding it, so that pretty much confirms what I just said.

Mibz
02-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Perhaps I'm confused as to how things work, but I assumed that with the intense cost cutting measures coming in for the 2010 season that a team could be run for less money than this season. They could save the money that they -would- have spent running the team this year and put it towards properly designing and testing a car for the 2010 season. Instead they're barely going to scrape by to keep the car running this season and probably won't be in any better shape next season because they're going to finish in the bottom 6 and nobody will want to give them money. On top of that, you've got a disgruntled team that is being forced to take pay cuts instead of redundancy packages so they may not be at 100%.

If I'm wrong about how these things work then so be it, I just ask that you let me know where I'm wrong.

buh_buh
02-27-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't think we're really talking about the same thing. I think bottom line is Bernie wants 20 cars on the grid for Australia 29 days from today :clap: . That's the only reason he's throwing money at Brackley F1 regardless of cost savings. This isn't really a long term plan, just something to take care of this year, then "Honda" has all year to find another buyer, which is ultimately all Bernie cares about. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying he's probably going to lose more money by Brackley F1 not being on the grid than the amount he's "investing" in the team. He doesn't really care about the team's performance, he just wants cash in children's size 6 pants.

Team_Mclaren
02-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Perhaps I'm confused as to how things work, but I assumed that with the intense cost cutting measures coming in for the 2010 season that a team could be run for less money than this season. They could save the money that they -would- have spent running the team this year and put it towards properly designing and testing a car for the 2010 season. Instead they're barely going to scrape by to keep the car running this season and probably won't be in any better shape next season because they're going to finish in the bottom 6 and nobody will want to give them money. On top of that, you've got a disgruntled team that is being forced to take pay cuts instead of redundancy packages so they may not be at 100%.

If I'm wrong about how these things work then so be it, I just ask that you let me know where I'm wrong.

you have to realize that Honda is willing to continue funding the team because it would be cheaper to run the team this year than to scrape it all together (that is, if there isnt a buyer for the team, which is the case right now). They cant simply use the money for 2010 because that 100 million is obligated for this year regardless if they are running or not. You are looking at contracts that were signed last year (ie. Buttons salary) which still has to be paid regardless. In the end, Honda is saying that it'll cost almost the same with the cars running or not, so why not.

Mibz
02-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
you have to realize that Honda is willing to continue funding the team because it would be cheaper to run the team this year than to scrape it all together (that is, if there isnt a buyer for the team, which is the case right now). They cant simply use the money for 2010 because that 100 million is obligated for this year regardless if they are running or not. You are looking at contracts that were signed last year (ie. Buttons salary) which still has to be paid regardless. In the end, Honda is saying that it'll cost almost the same with the cars running or not, so why not. That makes sense then. I figured it would cost them very little to call this year a wash, I didn't factor in obligations like contracts.

Thanks guys.

rage2
03-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Rubens got his seat, and word is Senna is heading to DTM, with De La Rosa filling in as Rubens teammate thanks to Mercedes providing the engine last minute.

buh_buh
03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
What do you mean PDLR filling in as teammate? Button's still got a contract.

DTM is where F1 drivers go to retire.
See: Ralf, Albers, Winkelhock.

Maybe Senna doesn't have what it takes, despite the sponsor frenzy the name would cause.

Team_Mclaren
03-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Rubens got his seat, and word is Senna is heading to DTM, with De La Rosa filling in as Rubens teammate thanks to Mercedes providing the engine last minute.

Button is still racing as far as i know! he cut salary in half as well, unless you meant reserve driver?

on the other hand, it might be called Brawn Racing!! as that domain has just been purchased by his lawyer?!:dunno:

rage2
03-02-2009, 09:20 PM
err fawk, I meant BUTTON's got his seat. Rumor of 2nd seat going to PDLR, not Rubens. Sorry for the confusion.

buh_buh
03-02-2009, 09:34 PM
after the confusion I went and did some reading and read from a few websites that Rubens got the second seat and indeed Senna to DTM. No mention of PDLR to Honda.

buh_buh
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Button and Barrichello confirmed.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73522

rage2
03-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Well that rumor's gone haha. Thx Kev.

civic_stylez
03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
All the power and best of luck to them... theyre gonna need it....

m10-power
03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Awesome another team to lap and get in the way of championship deciding racing

:zzz:

buh_buh
03-03-2009, 10:18 PM
So you want to see 4 cars on the grid?

m10-power
03-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Na, rather watch racing with cars that started as street cars. F1 is alright, last year was one of the better years based on the races I watched. But to be honest Honda hasn't mattered in F1 for many years, now if Ferrari was to quite that would be a loss.

If the team can't compete, no point fielding it at that level just to fill the grid. Go spend the money where they can compete. F1 is going to have to drop it's standards or punish the successful to fill grids, that will be exciting...

Two wheeled racing is much better for spectating anyways, way more action.

Team_Mclaren
03-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by m10-power
Na, rather watch racing with cars that started as street cars. F1 is alright, last year was one of the better years based on the races I watched. But to be honest Honda hasn't mattered in F1 for many years, now if Ferrari was to quite that would be a loss.

If the team can't compete, no point fielding it at that level just to fill the grid. Go spend the money where they can compete. F1 is going to have to drop it's standards or punish the successful to fill grids, that will be exciting...

Two wheeled racing is much better for spectating anyways, way more action.

you need to educate yourself better with F1 then. i understand that there are many types of motorsport, but what you mentioned isnt what F1 is all about.

Konj
03-04-2009, 06:42 AM
FERRARI 4 THE WIN

urban.one
03-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Honda F1 team rescued in time for 2009 season
The revived team will be called Brawn GP06 March 2009

by Keith Collantine
Jenson Button will be back on the F1 grid in 2009 after an 11th-hour deal to rescue the Honda team just weeks before the new season.

The man behind the deal is Ross Brawn, Honda’s team principal in 2008, who masterminded many of Michael Schumacher’s race wins and world championships at Benetton and Ferrari.

The revived team will be called Brawn GP and continue to operate from the headquarters at Brackley in Northamptonshire, close to Silverstone.

Rubens Barrichello will remain as Button’s team mate, bringing to an end speculation that Bruno Senna, nephew of three times champion Ayrton Senna, could join the outfit.

Brawn GP now faces a race against time to get its cars ready for the first Grand Prix of the season in Melbourne, Australia, at the end of the month.

The team will use the same Mercedes engines as found in Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren.

But other teams have been testing their cars for almost two months, giving them plenty of chance to perfect the new-for-2009 innovations like Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (hybrid engines), slick tyres and adjustable wings.

Honda took over running the BAR team in 2006, but after scoring a victory with Button in that year’s Hungarian Grand Prix the team slumped in form and scored just 14 points last year.

The team has its roots in the historic Tyrrell outfit, who Sir Jackie Stewart won championships for in 1970s. Tyrrell was bought by BAR in 1999.

Team_Mclaren
03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
its official! Brawn GP, powered by MB is here to play!

http://f1fanatics.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/brawn-gp-announced-as-honda-officially-hands-over-ownership/

some key changes:

* A shakedown will also take place at the Snetterton Circuit
* The cars colour scheme will be primarily metallic blue with red and white
* There is a major sponsor lined up for the team, which is said to be a big coop (Pepsi and Virgin suggested)
* Mike Gascoyne is going to work for the team
* Jenson Button is taking a 50% pay cut
* Rubens Barrichello gets paid per point like David Coulthard did in 2007

http://f1fanatics.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/brawn-gp-speculation/

Mibz
03-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
* The cars colour scheme will be primarily metallic blue with red and white Damn, I really liked the all-white they have on the shakedown car. Change the yellow to a darker colour and you've got a sexy car.

http://www.f1technical.net/images/news/2009/intext/button.jpg

buh_buh
03-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Finally! :clap:
I like the all white too, or the all black they did a couple years ago when they tested the RA107. They shouldve just went either Stig styles or Darth Vader styles instead of Earth Dreams.

http://f1chronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/honda-ra107.jpg
http://www.nofenders.net/uploaded_images/Honda-RA107-741792.jpg
http://www.gpjunkie.com/images/honda-launch.jpg

22 days!!!

herragge
03-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Glad they were picked up. Excited to see the first race in Australia. Hope to see pics of the release car soon!

DJ Lazy
03-06-2009, 08:54 PM
It's not really Honda anymore... its Brawn with a Mercedes powered car...

Maybe they will paint it purple just for you buh_buh... ;)

At least it guarantees 2 more cars on the starting grid, that's what matters to me. :thumbsup:

Bladeh
03-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Well looks like Brawn GP kicked some ass! :whipped:

Redlyne_mr2
03-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Not many sponsors yet from what I've been told. I've heard as little as a million dollars will get your name on their car.. how about it beyond?

Mibz
03-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Not many sponsors yet from what I've been told. I've heard as little as a million dollars will get your name on their car.. how about it beyond? Heh, I was saying at Rage's that I'd send 'em $100 to put my name somewhere mostly hidden.