PDA

View Full Version : First dinner with a significant other...Where would you go???

ekguy
02-27-2009, 10:13 AM
If you've been together with someone for a while but still haven't managed to go out to dinner and have done everything else instead where would you go for a very nice dinner???

Not talking moxie's or Earl's. I know we have lot's of fine diner's on here. We're looking for more of an experience than super good food.

Doesn't matter if we have to drive as far as Banff either. Let's here em.

Something different if possible. I was thinking possibly Rouge but how hard is it to get in there???

Mitsu3000gt
02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Rouge or The Bear's Den would be my top picks.

Bolero is good too if you're going mostly for the experience.

suen_boi
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Teatro's.

goat_killer
02-27-2009, 10:22 AM
La Villa!

A790
02-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Sky 360, Il Sogno, Jacqueline Suzanne's (;)), La Chumere, Mercato (GOOD), Alloy (meh), Sugo Cafe Italia, the Rouge.

ralliart_girl
02-27-2009, 10:27 AM
+1 Bear's Den
Vintage

GQBalla
02-27-2009, 10:28 AM
+1 for Mercato.

Escoba.

A790
02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Oh, forgot to say River Cafe.

Wildcat
02-27-2009, 10:34 AM
The Ranche in Fish Creek

blitz
02-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Fuze (In Banff)
River Cafe
Escoba

ekguy
02-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Rouge or The Bear's Den would be my top picks.

Is Bolero that Brazilian BBQ??? i heard it was good. How does it work though? Isn't it all you can eat or something like that???

Also to add the wine list has to be very good. Basic wine list will not do for me. Wine is almost all I drink unless i'm drinking rum

E36M3
02-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Rouge is great, easy to get in.. very good for a date. Capo in Inglewood is also a great pick for what you are looking at.. if you want to head to Canmore, Wood is pretty decent but I'd stick with Rouge or Capo.

legendboy
02-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Set the bar low! lol

G-ZUS
02-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
Set the bar low! lol

:werd: The next time she will expect something even better

kenny
02-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Capo... great food and smaller restaurant. The pheasant was so good last time I went :drool:

sputnik
02-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
If you've been together with someone for a while but still haven't managed to go out to dinner and have done everything else instead where would you go for a very nice dinner???

Not talking moxie's or Earl's. I know we have lot's of fine diner's on here. We're looking for more of an experience than super good food.

Something different if possible. I was thinking possibly Rouge but how hard is it to get in there???

You should probably be more specific in terms of ambiance you are looking for.

There are some fantastic restaurants that you could wear jeans at and some that you would feel uncomfortable at without a jacket and tie.

Is this a get dressed up (jacket and tie for you... cocktail dress for her) occasion or just a casual albeit elegant meal followed by a walk in the park?

Kritafo
02-27-2009, 11:06 AM
yeah I would go with Bears Den or Ranche.

The men have hit it right. I will not deny that when my now husband took me to some pretty fancy schmancy restaurants the expectations are set very high for special occasions to follow.

I like Bolero but do you really want an all you can eat for a first dinner? When we come home from there my husband goes into a meat induced coma.

A790
02-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
yeah I would go with Bears Den or Ranche.

The men have hit it right. I will not deny that when my now husband took me to some pretty fancy schmancy restaurants the expectations are set very high for special occasions to follow.

I like Bolero but do you really want an all you can eat for a first dinner? When we come home from there my husband goes into a meat induced coma.
Both times I've been to Bolero were disappointing. It's fun for a large group, but for a couple I don't think I'd recommend it.

KRyn
02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Rush if you are looking to keep it classy and impress her. Also they have a great wine/drinks menu.

bulaian
02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

:werd: The next time she will expect something even better

truth

SpoonEG6
02-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Osteria de Medici in kensington, If you like italian.

sputnik
02-27-2009, 11:20 AM

:werd:

I personally wouldn't go to ANY of the places listed as a first dinner. The OP might as well have asked "what are the most expensive restaurants in Calgary" and gotten the exact same posts.

I would sooner find a small place somewhere that is a bit funky, small and intimate and not too over the top in terms of being pretentious or outright overpriced.

If you want to impress her... don't do it with your wallet... do it with your creativity.

My wife and I like going to Skazka (russian restaurant downtown), Karma (EI food in the SE) or the Longview Steakhouse (in Longview) when we want to go somewhere nice, enjoy some food and wine and just sit and talk over a meal for a couple of hours.

Also... John Gilchrist FTW

http://www.cbc.ca/eyeopener/johngilchrist.html

Thaco
02-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Pick her up in the wanna-bang-o, giggity giggity, alllll-right

alloroc
02-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Sunday brunch at the Naturebahn Teahouse?

E36M3
02-27-2009, 11:28 AM
WHAT HAPPENED TO JUST FALLING IN LOVE WITH A NIGGA WITH A BUS PASS?

JfuckinC
02-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by E36M3

:rofl:

wow, it's nice to know some people with really nice things still have a good sense of humour hahahahaha

Eibbus
02-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Mercato's FTW. Reasonable price, and the food is amazing. If you and the Mrs. like lamb I would def recommend it. By far the best i've had in the city so far.

Super_Geo
02-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Bolero has a pretty fun atmosphere... probably cheaper than most of the other places mentioned (I think it's like $35-40/head). It's not as overbearingly serious as some of the other suggestions, but it's still a nice establishment.

I agree with what some of the others have said... don't break the bank on your first dinner as a couple. Set the bar somewhere in the middle... otherwise where are you going to take her when you forget an anniversary?

89coupe
02-27-2009, 12:45 PM

What kind of food does you and your other half enjoy?

malcolmk14
02-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Mercato or Bears Den for sure.

basillio
02-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

:rofl:

wow, it's nice to know some people with really nice things still have a good sense of humour hahahahaha

LMAO!

If you're looking for an experience, you've got to put something together. Taking her to an expensive dinner won't do it...try hiring a barbershop quartet. lol

E36M3
02-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Denny's, malt liquor and anal would be quite the experience.

Originally posted by basillio

LMAO!

If you're looking for an experience, you've got to put something together. Taking her to an expensive dinner won't do it...try hiring a barbershop quartet. lol

nonlinear
02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
nevermind

ekguy
02-27-2009, 01:35 PM
not looking for expensive. Looking more for a nice jeans, dress shoes and dress shirt kinda place. Not jacket and tie. Also places like Moroccan Castle have the type of ambiance I would want. Somewhere where we can have a bit of privacy and talk. Definitely good food but doesn't have to be expensive. The gf has never been brought out to dinner by any of her ex's so the bar can be set wherever i would like to go since she'll appreciate pretty much any place. I was thinking Buon Giorno but I've been there too many times.

I was also thinking San Remo in the Mackenzie area since it's fairly nice but the selection isn't that great for food, although they have some very nice wines.

She likes vegetarian food and I thought maybe going to the Coup followed by Martinis at Meet. But place is too small so definitely no privacy...

Like I said don't want expensive high brow restaurant want something more like a nice sit down and talk with dim lighting if possible to preserve at least some semblance of privacy.

Italian places will take importance over others for sure but open to anything.

JordanLotoski
02-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Iam a big fan of Brava Bistro on 17thave...they make a Killer Lobster poutine.

ekguy
02-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Like I said not trying to impress with wallet. We are both really eccentric when it comes to pretty much every aspect of our lives. To some it up we'd both enjoy a nice relaxing dinner without feeling like we need to dress up.

Preferences on her part would be italian and vegetarian. No she's not a vegetarian but she does enjoy the food. She does eat red meet so even steakhouses are fair game.

I love italian food and french food. The best would be if I could find some decent Cajun cuisine out here but since I moved away from NB I can't find any.

It'd be nice to get her to taste some Cajun/Acadian food since it's my background.

ekguy
02-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
Iam a big fan of Brava Bistro on 17thave...they make a Killer Lobster poutine.

Not going to like this sounds amazing haha.

Anyone ever try the Beat Niq' ???

Dinner and some jazz would be a pretty good place for our first dinner wouldn't it? Still can't believe we've waited over 2 months and still haven't been on a dinner date haha. We've done everything else from drives to Banff, Bragg Creek, movies and everything in between but no dinner...

adamc
02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Brava is great, and if they are still doing their Prix Fixe menu on sundays - it can be a great deal too.

For more intimate, why not try Jaro Blue?

Mercato is fantastic, but you're not getting any intimacy whatsoever, it's an open kitchen, in your face loud kinda place.

ekguy
02-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm sure I will try one of these. I tried Buon Giorno from a suggestion off beyond and it's now my favorite restaurant in Calgary. So I always come here for dinner advice before even checking on where.ca. Will definitely try one of the ones mentioned. Hopefully this thread helps other people in the same position.

Kona9
02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
In all honesty, and I always have something good to say about this place, but for what you are after, I would try Blowfish Sushi. Nice funky place, not loud, GREAT sushi!

89coupe
02-27-2009, 02:05 PM
If you want something different and trendy check out The Vin Room.

www.vinroom.com

sputnik
02-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Not going to like this sounds amazing haha.

Anyone ever try the Beat Niq' ???

Dinner and some jazz would be a pretty good place for our first dinner wouldn't it? Still can't believe we've waited over 2 months and still haven't been on a dinner date haha. We've done everything else from drives to Banff, Bragg Creek, movies and everything in between but no dinner...

PiqNiq (the restaurant upstairs) is nice and the food is decent for the price you pay.

BeatNiq (the jazz club downstairs) is in dire need of a renovation and has kinda scuzzy ambiance.

nonlinear
02-27-2009, 02:20 PM
does she eat meat?

at the Grizzly House in Banff, they have a totally private room for two people that you can reserve. it has a little flag thing that you raise when you want service.

it's a fondue place, so that also covers your desire for 'an experience.' they only drawback is that you leave smelling like a deep fryer. but, if you get a hotel in town, you may not be in your clothes long anyhow haha

it's a casual place so jeans are totally fine. i think it will run about $150-$200 without tip, depending on what you drink etc.

http://banffgrizzlyhouse.com/

89coupe
02-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
does she eat meat?

at the Grizzly House in Banff, they have a totally private room for two people that you can reserve. it has a little flag thing that you raise when you want service.

it's a fondue place, so that also covers your desire for 'an experience.' they only drawback is that you leave smelling like a deep fryer. but, if you get a hotel in town, you may not be in your clothes long anyhow haha

it's a casual place so jeans are totally fine. i think it will run about $150-$200 without tip, depending on what you drink etc.

http://banffgrizzlyhouse.com/

That place is a runned down shit hole. LOL I can't even imagine what the kitchen must be like.

nonlinear
02-27-2009, 02:46 PM
a run down shit hole????

i don't think so at all. it's definitely not a flashy, pretentious "mod" restaurant - it's a 70s-style fondue place man! the food is great, the service is excellent, it's casual like the OP is looking for, and aesthetically it fits will within the banff scenery (it's kind of a rustic lodge-type feel).

have you ever even been there, 89coupe? I'm trying to help out the OP based on his needs/wants, and I think this fits the bill perfectly.

EDIT: and if you search on chowhound, you'll see that most there agree with what i've said above.

it's definitely not a run down shithole.

89coupe
02-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
a run down shit hole????

i don't think so at all. it's definitely not a flashy, pretentious "mod" restaurant - it's a 70s-style fondue place man! the food is great, the service is excellent, it's casual like the OP is looking for, and aesthetically it fits will within the banff scenery (it's kind of a rustic lodge-type feel).

have you ever even been there, 89coupe?

EDIT: and if you search on chowhound, you'll see that most there agree with what i've said above.

it's definitely not a run down shithole.

Yes I have been there, its a run down shithole!

Its 70's style because nothing has been fixed or replaced since the 70's LOL.

Its dirty, its smelly, and well, just not very good.

Because of the fondue and cooking raw meat on hot rocks everywhere, you come out of the place reaking of smoke.

Yep, shithole!

nonlinear
02-27-2009, 03:00 PM
the decor fits the menu and the surroundings. the smell is one thing, but you're the first person i've ever heard saying the food sucks.

anyhow, it is an 'experience' as the OP wanted - and a much better experience than the vin room (:rolleyes: )

cooperS
02-27-2009, 04:18 PM
+1 for La Villa!!!

kenny
02-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Stage West.

msommers
02-27-2009, 04:54 PM

How bout bein a woman, and tellin the kid the truth! That yo momma, you was a hoe! Tell the kid... Momma was a hoe, I was weekend pussy I had you to keep the nigga, it didn't work out that's why he ain't here..but he a good nigga. He take care of his REAL family I was just a dumb bitch, tryin to keep, a nigga that I wanted

ZorroAMG
02-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Denny's, malt liquor and anal would be quite the experience.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Altezza
02-27-2009, 06:18 PM

:werd: :werd: :werd: But then again, I expanded my palette far beyond what I normally would have and it's great to share the experience with your significant other.

msommers
02-27-2009, 06:22 PM
You know, this just sort of dawned on me but I thought Pasku Farms was incredibly relaxing. We ended up going on a day that just snowed but was very sunny out. Clear view to the mountains, I honestly wanted to stay there for hours just to take it all in.

GQBalla
02-27-2009, 06:29 PM
hmm

you should try sultans tent lots of vegetarian options

took my gf there on our 4th year anniversary and it was pretty good.

lots to choose from we got the 6 course meal thingy.

and 2 bottles of wine the bill was probably 250 including tip.

pinoyhero
02-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Il Sogno hands down.