PDA

View Full Version : butter chicken mix

nj2Type-S
02-27-2009, 11:16 AM
i'm craving for some butter chicken for the past week now and i've decided i want to make my own, lol. i can't cook well -- i suck at cooking so i'm looking at getting the pre-made butter chicken powder mix. would you guys be able to recommend to me a good brand as well as where to get them (jays, t&t?).

thanks! :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Shan's Brand from any East Indian Grocer...

OK General is my favourite store...

But others like Fruiticana, A1 Spice Center, Basha Foods...there are a few choice ones to pick from...

szw
02-27-2009, 11:20 AM
There are a bunch of different brands that sell it in jars, even from superstore. Easier and better than a powder mix. Superstore even has their own brand I believe...

Lucky97
02-27-2009, 11:21 AM
jays isnt around any more dude. been shut down for years now

nj2Type-S
02-27-2009, 11:25 AM
^lol...sorry, didn't they change the name or something or has it just been shut down, altogether? haha, i try to stay away from forestlawn, soo yeah.

i've been watching some videos on youtube of how to make it but i know it's gonna suck when i make it. not to mention having to buy the ingredients. i'll check out the brands that you guys have mentioned.

i've tried to superstore microwave dinner butter chicken and it's not too bad, i guess.

Lucky97
02-27-2009, 11:28 AM
i honestly think that the superstore microwave butter chicken is wicked

szw
02-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
^lol...sorry, didn't they change the name or something or has it just been shut down, altogether? haha, i try to stay away from forestlawn, soo yeah.

i've been watching some videos on youtube of how to make it but i know it's gonna suck when i make it. not to mention having to buy the ingredients. i'll check out the brands that you guys have mentioned.

i've tried to superstore microwave dinner butter chicken and it's not too bad, i guess.

Just get those jars.

https://www.jollygrub.com/OnLineStore1/images/patakbutter.jpg
http://talkingtoair.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/butterrchicken.jpg

They taste pretty good but the chicken never tastes right. I don't care though because I'm not really eating it for the chicken more for the sauce! Actually now I live a couple minutes away from indiantown so I can have butter chicken and rice for $5.

KoukiS14
02-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Skip the PC one it blows. Its nothing like the tasty microwave meal you'd associate it with.

Patak's is win. Well the Korma one was so i'd imagine the BC would be good too.

legendboy
02-27-2009, 04:49 PM
i like the pc brand better then pataks.

it helps if you cook it the night before, simmer the cooked chicken in the sauce for an hour, put in the fridge overnight and eat the next day

bignerd
02-27-2009, 07:23 PM
The *best* one I have ever tried is by Gourmantra and comes in a box with basmati rice to boot. I have tried the botteled kinds and they are no where as good.

You get the spice mix, a pack of tomato puree and a pack of pureed real ginger and garlic and the basmati rice.

All you need to buy is chicken and cream.

Saute garlic and ginger paste in oil, add chicken, brown. Add tomato puree and water, simmer. Add spice mix-the aroma that comes out when you open this is amazing!! (I only use about 2/3 of the pack-it is strong) and then add cream at the end and cook a little longer. Cook rice as directed.

All this and that box is only 4.99 or 5.99-have only seen it at Sobeys in Coventy Hills. They make a few other kinds too, Chicken Korma I think and one other kind.

nj2Type-S
02-27-2009, 08:33 PM
any east indian stores that i can just go to around the deep SW area? or can i just get the basmati rice and the naan at superstore, too? i'm sure you guys can tell that i'm a complete noob when it comes to cooking, lol.

nismodrifter
02-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
any east indian stores that i can just go to around the deep SW area? or can i just get the basmati rice and the naan at superstore, too? i'm sure you guys can tell that i'm a complete noob when it comes to cooking, lol.

no EI stores in the SW unfortunately. They sell naan in the bakery area at Superstore. Can get basmati rice from Superstore too.