PDA

View Full Version : S/c K24a2 Crx

texasnick
02-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Hello all,

I originally had no real intention of starting a build thread, but now that beyond has "the garage" I figured why the hell not.

This is my first "real" project hoopty, and I have been waiting years to build a car, so I'm going to start off with a bang....by swapping the much loved k series into the much loved Honda CRX.

I picked up an '88 std CRX in December from an older gentleman for a decent price. It is all original (apparently I'm the 3rd owner :) ) with about 180,000 km on the odometer. The engine runs well enough for now, although it leaks / burns oil pretty good at the moment...not that I really care too much. It has some body rust issues, but that to me comes second to performance. Next year I may decide to restore the car cosmetically, but let's just take this one step at a time for now lol.

Here are some shots a buddy and I took recently. (He drives the scuby)

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/P2070039.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/P2070045.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/P2070049.jpg

Now for the goodies. I wrote this list in haste, so there may be some typos / forgotten items. I haven't included things like shifter assemblies, mounts, etc for the mere fact that I don't want to bore anyone:

The Goal:
270-300 whp and a nice flat torque curve between 175 wtq and 200 wtq. OEM / near OEM Reliability and (relatively) instant power.

The planned modification list is as follows:

Power Plant:
- Internally Stock 06+ k24a2 motor (TSX) / power steering, A/C removed
- 02-04 RSX Type S (6 speed) Transmission with aftermarket LSD
or
- 02-04 Civic Si (5 Speed) Transmission with aftermarket LSD
- Custom Made Milspec Engine Harness for k24a2 into a CRX with a mild wire tuck
- Clutchmasters stage 3 clutch for type s
- Stock RSX-S Flywheel
- DSS Stage 2.9 Axles

Intake / Induction:
- Custom 3" Cold Air Intake
- Aftermarket BDL 70 mm Throttle Body
- JRSC / Comptech Roots style Supercharger with High Boost Pulley (~ 9 psi)
- Comptech Auto Belt Tensioner
- Methanol Injection(?) or Nitrous Oxide lol

Exhaust:
- Six Sigma Racing 4-2-1 Header
- Custom Diameter matched Exhaust with Magnaflow muffler

Tuning:
- 02-04 k20a2 (RSX-s) ECU chipped with K-Pro Tuning software by Hondata

Suspension / Brakes:
- New OEM Rubber Bushings all around
- New Ball Joints all around
- Control Arms Cleaned and Painted
- CRX HF Front Swaybar
- CRX Si Rear Swaybar
- Ground Control Coilovers / Koni Yellow adj. Shocks - 400 lb/in front 500 lb/in rear
- Front 17VL15CN (NSX, ITR, Legend, Vigor) Brake Calipers, cleaned and rebuilt
- Rear base Integra Brake Calipers
- Hawk Pro Plus Pads front and rear
- Brembo Blanks front and rear
- New S.S. Brake Lines
- 4040 Proportioning Valve
- 15/16 MC (non-ABS) with attached Brake Booster
- 15x7 cheapo lightweight wheels w/ 205/50/15 Toyo R888 or equivalent tires

I have gotten word through a few members on wsc that there are a few guys on beyond with k series Honda's that may be able to chime in with their opinions / suggestions. I am open to any praise, criticism, flaming, whatever you got :guns:

I have already purchased the majority of the supsension / brake parts and as soon as I get my tax rebate back, it's on!

Jeremiah
02-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I can say with experience that out of an 02-04 SiR Engine (K20A3) and a super charger that you wont get anywhere near 300hp.

Definitely go with the newer engine with 6 speed.

But one thing i wanted to ask is if you actually really want to spend this much money into modding a CRX.

You're going to be spending thousands of dollars and still have a 20 year old car and if another car got your interest in the next couple of years you would be hard pressed to recoupe the money you spent on modding.

Definitely big aspirations for this build, keep updating, it looks like it will be fun!

403ep3
02-27-2009, 12:30 PM
This is gonna be an expensive build but your car is going to be fast as hell!

Yeah, modding a k20a3 with a jrsc will get you lower 200's :thumbsdow

texasnick
02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
I understand that a k20a3 will not hit 300 to the wheels with the mods I have planned. That's why I'm choosing a true 3 lobe vtec system and 2.4 litres, as found in the k24a2.

I know it's stupid to sink this much money into a 20 year old car, but for me, it's a combination of:

a) the Honda factor. No one likes to be out accelerated by a Honda
b) the weight factor. From the factory, an 88 DX weighs about 1,950 lbs.
c) the engine factor. I do not expect to get much money back for the car, but I DD an 04 civic that I could easily swap this lower mileage powerplant into once I'm done with the CRX

One more thing: I have over $100,000 in tuition credits from the government of Canada due to the fact that I went to UBC as an international student. My tax rebate this year will be around $12,000 aka more than enough to build this car myself.

calgarys_finest
02-27-2009, 12:39 PM
i love the idea and have wanted to do the same thing. There is a video on dpccars or whatever of a crx destroying a lambo its funny.

texasnick
02-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm thinking a 5 speed with Quaife would be more beneficial than a 6 speed, but I still have to do some calculating / thinking about that before I decide for sure.

5G_celica
02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
man what a waste of money, the cars ugly , you're ugly, and yo momma's ugly....

hahahah..

frick buy the engine already.. I want to start dismantalling this thing

texasnick
02-27-2009, 02:16 PM
lol jerk. Couple....more.....weeks

zaider
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Dude. Lets do this:

You forget about this swap and instead, we spend the money on an STI swap w/ trans for my car.

cmooooon...

in all seriousness, how are you doing the trans calcs for 5 vs 6 gears?

texasnick
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
with excel....and basic maths....and a fatty LOL jk

dude....wait what?

403ep3
02-27-2009, 04:18 PM
in for videos when this is done :goflames:

SNAATCH
03-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by texasnick
with excel....and basic maths....and a fatty LOL jk

dude....wait what?

Yo Nick, how are those seats treating you? Might be a good idea to list what current parts you have so we know your actual progress.

mike3
03-25-2009, 07:13 PM
If you haven't bought your JRSC yet, I have a Kraftwerks K-Race rotrex kit brand new in the box. I'm starting to have second thoughts about my K20 CRX.

If you'd be interested let me know.

zaider
04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Dude... lets get this show on the road.... i want to BUILD things!

texasnick
05-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of effort on my part lately. I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off for the last little while.

So here's the update;

I found / bought a motor. The guy is pulling it as we speak, and it comes compression tested and with a 90 day warranty.

Details on the motor
K24A2 from a 2007 Acura TSX
30,000 km

I ended up buying it minus the ex. mani for $1,250 CDN :eek:

Other Shit

I have Hybrid Racing, Rywire and K-tuned waiting for me to place orders on the other parts I'm going to need (most of them, anyways).

I have possibly sourced a JRSC with a 9 lb pulley and 650cc injectors for a good deal as well. We'll see about that though.

I'm using the long weekend to pull the shitty D15 out of the rex and get everything prepped for the new motor. I will be sure to post up pics when I'm done.

Snaatch, yeah man the seats are great. Surprisingly comfortable too, and the best thing is I don't get orange foam all over my clothes everytime I step out of the car lol.

I will put up a list of parts I'm still going to need once I figure out exactly what I'm going to be ordering from the shops south of the border.

I DO know, however I'm going to need to find a couple of things for sure;

5 Speed Trans from Base RSX or EP3 SiR. NO GRINDS PLZ!!!!
LSD for k series trans. Don't care which kind / brand. Preferably would like to buy the tranny with LSD all ready to go, but I doubt I'll be able to source that combo locally.

88-89 CRX SiR Guage Cluster. I don't want to have to deal with ghetto rigging the d series VSS to make the stock speedo work. Plus, Ryan from Rywire is making me a custom Harness to plug into the SiR cluster so all I have to do is drop it and go.

Again, sorry it's been so long. The project is still a go, now more than ever.

Thanks
Nick
:

PremiumRSX
05-21-2009, 02:28 AM
Sounds like you're well on your way.

Damn you're getting your motor for CHEAP.

I paid $2750.

Mr_ET
05-21-2009, 06:28 AM
Pics or it didn't happen:D

403ep3
05-21-2009, 10:15 AM
wow, where'd you find that engine?

I'll trade you my engine for yours =)

texasnick
05-22-2009, 08:07 AM
haha....ummm...no

I found the motor at a place called Asteroid Auto parts on Metis Trail.

The car was in a rollover, and the guy didn't want to buy it at all, but he had to because of insurance contracts. Everything else on the car is pretty nasty. I'm expecting the oil pan to at least be cracked, but I'm thinking it won't cost too too much to get it healthy again. He's running a comp. / leakdown test on it and then pulling it. Actually, I have to call him today to keep him on track LOL. Comes with a 90 day warranty too!

On another note, we finished pulling the d15 out last night. :clap:

I've got one potential structural rust issue in the bay, but I think it will be an easy fix.

This weekend I will prep the bay, hopefully get the pass. side mount bracket welded on, and start relocating / tucking all of the unsightly stuff.

I'll put up pics soon.

texasnick
06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Update:

The stock motor is out. The k24a2 is in the garage. It ended up costing me 1400 after taxes. The oil pan is dented pretty good. We took it off and checked the oil pickup. It looks perfect! The crank pulley is chipped around the rim. Little bit of work to do on it:poosie: , but I have a bunch of parts coming in soon.

Here she is. Everything but the brake lines, prop valve, and m/c is out of the bay now;

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/crx_emptybay_01.jpg

k24a2 from a 2007 Acura TSX. 30,000 km.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/k24a2_01.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/k24a2_02.jpg

Oil pan :thumbsdow

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/k24a2_04.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/k24a2_03.jpg

Shit I still need:

Not sure if anyone around would have any of this stuff, but here it goes;

- 5 speed Transmission from a base RSX or EP3 SiR
- Kpro PRC (02-04 Type S) Programmable ECU
- Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
- Aeromotive Universal FPR - A1000
- Base RSX Shifter Box / Cables
- 02-04 RSX-S Engine Wire Harness
- 02-04 RSX-S Sub Harness / Charge Harness with fuse panel preferrably

Thanks,
Nick

Mr_ET
06-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Not sure if it's cheaper or more expensive but Hondata now offers the k pro for the tsx ecu that has provisions for drive by wire.

Nice to see some pics;)

texasnick
06-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Yeah, that's certainly a possibility. To tell you the truth, I was hoping to pick up the kpro ECU used LOL. Finding & sending a core ECU down to AZ and then waiting to get it back could prove to be lots of time and $$$.

Sorry I've been a slacker with photos LOL. I'm expecting a rather large package to come in this week.:burnout:

5G_celica
06-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, that's certainly a possibility. To tell you the truth, I was hoping to pick up the kpro ECU used LOL. Finding & sending a core ECU down to AZ and then waiting to get it back could prove to be lots of time and $$$.

Sorry I've been a slacker with photos LOL. I'm expecting a rather large package to come in this week.:burnout:

finally we get some pictures... I was starting to think this project was just a lie.. hahhha

dj_honda
06-03-2009, 11:03 PM
did you pull the oil pan yet? it looks like there is a hole in there unless its just the picture. might want to check to see if the motor ran with no oil....might be some pieces of bearing in the oil pan...

texasnick
06-04-2009, 08:11 AM
yeah we pulled it off. Everything inside the pan looks clean. I was worried about that as well. Like if the kid rolled the car and kept his foot on the gas :dunno:

I'll pull it off again tonight and take some photos. Maybe you guys will see something I didn't. Thanks for the input guys.

Damn, I thought I'd get a few super sweet parts this week, but they're all shipping from Baton Rouge, Louisiana *hint hint*, so I guess they'll all take a while longer LOL. DAMMIT!

troyl
06-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Did you pick up the supercharger yet?

texasnick
06-04-2009, 08:49 AM
No I haven't. Why, do you have one you want to sell?:burnout:

troyl
06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Nope looking to buy one.

texasnick
06-05-2009, 09:05 AM
jrsc? Looking to buy new or used?

If you are interested in a c30 rotrex kit, mike3 has a brand new kit lying around I believe. They seem like the bee's knees.

texasnick
06-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Morning everyone.

I'm afraid that my worst fears my have come to life. For some reason yesterday, this bad feeling sort of hit me about the possibilty of a spun bearing. I don't know why I wasn't really concerned about it before, but I'm a retard...so....yeah.

I attempted to crank the motor by hand, and it moves easily enough, but every half turn it feels like it wants to sort of "slow down". Interesting

Anyways, I decided to drop the pan again to see what I could see, and low and behold, I missed a few KEY things last time I took a look in there.

1. The oil pump is cracked. No big deal right? I'm not too too worried about that part, b/c I had originally planned for it in my budget when I got the motor. More of a PITA than anything else really.

You can see the crack here;

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/oil_pump_01.jpg

And this is how the housing is sitting on the bottom of the pump :thumbsdow

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/oil_pump_02.jpg

You can tell exactly where the pan hit the oil pump, and the reason it's broken.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/oilpan_01.jpg

2. Worrying about a spun bearing, I took a GOOD look at the bottom of the oil pan. Sure enough, there were very small fresh goldish flakes of metal at the bottom. I'm thinking it's either (a) pieces of bearing, or (b) possibly metal flakes from the engine being broken in?!?. The motor is pretty new.

Here is a picture of the metal flakes. They're kind of hard to see, but I took like 20 pictures of them yesterday and this was the best one HAHA.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/oilpan_02.jpg

It was suggested that the oil pump may be the reason for the weird half turn stalls when the crank is turned by hand. I'm going to drop the pump tonight and see how it cranks. I'll probably also drop the crank and inspect the bearings as well.

NOT HAPPY!

Ready for some better news?

I got a shipment in yesterday from K-Tuned in Ont and from the Driveshaft Shop. :clap:

DSS Stage 2.9's;

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/dss_2_9.jpg

K-Tuned 4-2-1 Header;

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/kswap_421_header.jpg

K-Tuned Traction Bar

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/ktuned_tbar.jpg

K-Tuned Swivel Neck T Stat Housing / T Stat;

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff119/williamsnc/ktuned_tstat_housing.jpg

I have another shipment coming in from Hybrid Racing. It shipped early last week. I'm assuming it's just being held up in customs. I'll update when it gets in.

Later
Nick

etothek
06-26-2009, 09:06 PM
How much you pay for the axles?

PremiumRSX
06-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Texasnick, I might be able to help you out.

I think I got a complete K24A2 Oil Pump (including bolts/windage tray, chain).

I also have a spare oil pan.

mike3
07-07-2009, 02:54 PM
A rotrex supercharger would sure look good on that engine :)

smithers
08-25-2009, 09:17 PM
dude this is fn sick man im rollin in a 88 si with full sir 91 convertion and im doing an 98 spec c5 motor know no more b16. i can not wait to see these beast keep up the good work.

texasnick
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by etothek
How much you pay for the axles?

I think they were around $600 USD. Stage 2.9's. I have a feeling though from reading a bunch of other peoples' experiences with them that I'm going to have issues. DSS seems like it's slipping

:(

PremiumRSX. I might end up getting that pump off you after all. I bought a used one from a guy on k20a.org but I haven't checked clearances and service limits yet and it's super dirty so I'll let you know. Actually I've been meaning to talk to you man. I wanna sit down and have a beer with you and pick your brain for info.

mike3.....I saw your for sale thread. You are 100% absolutely correct. A rotrex would look really nice lol. I'm pretty sure that's the route I'm going but I'm going to have to wait till next spring to get my S/C on. Oh did you see this thread on k20? Stock k20a2 with the c30-94 unit and kpro made 334 whp on 8 psi @ 8k rpm. Compared to all of the Eaton k20's on 8 psi, that's quite the difference.
http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64773

smithers....have you considered going k in your CRX? c5's are still overpriced up here IMO. Just so you know, I got the complete long block k24a2 (06 TSX 30,000 km) minus harness, starter and TB for $1,250 locally. Just so you know a stock k20a2 with I/H/E and kpro will run a low 13, high 12 second 1/4 in a CRX. :love:

I have done quite a bit since the last photos were posted. I'll try and get some candy for you guys this weekend to take a gander at.

etothek
09-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I have a mishimoto half size rad that comes with the fan, never been used, only test fitted... let me know if you're interested!

epp01
09-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Thats not your oil pump thats cracked those are your balance shafts.

89s1
09-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by epp01
Thats not your oil pump thats cracked those are your balance shafts.

x2. And also, the compression stroke makes an engine hard to turn by hand. It will be easy easy easy, then hard. then easy again.

texasnick
09-08-2009, 08:03 AM
The shafts themselves are worn but the holder piece is cracked. Anywho, the whole oil pump is getting replaced.

89s1.....so it sounds like it's turning okay? It's completely smooth, then 1/2 turn later stops....come to think of it it does kind of feel like air pressure that's wanting to slow it down.

I have a half rad already etothek....thanks though. Are you willing to sell the fan w/o the radiator?

dj_honda
09-09-2009, 09:52 PM
The shafts themselves are worn but the holder piece is cracked. Anywho, the whole oil pump is getting replaced.

89s1.....so it sounds like it's turning okay? It's completely smooth, then 1/2 turn later stops....come to think of it it does kind of feel like air pressure that's wanting to slow it down.

I have a half rad already etothek....thanks though. Are you willing to sell the fan w/o the radiator?

ok are you're spark plugs in the motor? if they are, then yes it will be harder to turn on the compression stroke of each cylinder. if the spark plugs are out however, it shouldnt be hard to turn.

ps. hate to say it but i told you so about that motor. if you buy a used motor, unless you are doing a full out rebuild you should watch out for stuff like that. then again some people will scam and just throw a new pan on. good luck on the rebuild though, will be a good experience.

texasnick
09-10-2009, 08:28 AM
spark plugs were out of the motor...but when I did it there were shop rags in the plug holes. It turns pretty easily...it's just at every half turn it wants to slow down. It will still turn, but it takes more effort to do it. I'm sure it's on the compression stroke of each cylinder b/c when I had the shop rags in the plug holes, it would do that hesitation right before the rag "popped" out of each cylinder. I'll try it tonight with all the rags out of the motor.

Maybe I'll take a video of it to show you what I'm talking about.

Honestly this motor was cheap enough (compared to what I budgeted for it) that I can afford to spend some money to get it going. If the crank or the block is fubar'd, that sucks but I will probably just save up to by a built block. My biggest fear right now is that if the motor was hit hard enough, the crankshaft might have warped slightly. I'm not even sure if that's possible.

This whole process is more of a learning experience for me than anything else. This is my first all out restoration / build so I'm just looking to learn as much as I can so one day I can build something better.

thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it.

B00STK1NG
09-25-2009, 01:50 AM
awsome build bro
GL

jdm_eg6
10-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Good job so far! And it could definitely be the compression stroke. but considering you already have access to the bottom end why not tear it apart and inspect it?

texasnick
11-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks....yeah I am planning on checking the bottom end out very soon. With the new puppy and other crazy ass bills and work that takes up most of my time, it's been hard to find time to work on it all the time and take pics and stuff.....I'll try to get an update for everyone this weekend as I don't think I have anything I really have to get done.

It will be put together and boosted by springtime though for sure.

star-k
11-05-2009, 01:52 AM
A quick note:

This car is going to be one powerful machine. It may look like an old car, but we sense, it's got an ungodly level of power to it. If it's well and properly done, it's going to be approaching the levels of race car handling and power.

As for reliability, that would be a questionable thing; a chipped crank (assuming it's the new K motor from tsx) is going to likely cause some problems. Here is why.

The imbalance is nothing at all when the crank is idling, however if the crank spins up to to 7000+ rpm a "chip" (again i have no idea how big the 'chip' is on your crank) will compromise the operational state of your crank.

I'm not the judge here, however looking at the oil pan, it seems the oil pan came into contact with the Crankshaft upon impact. For all we know, it may be possible your crank is slightly bent; severely affecting toleraces of stroke and piston TDC's etc.

This may cause unwanted stress and vibration occurances in the engine; leads to bearing failure and engine failure. Trust me on this, my friend works with Honda engines in Japan, I've known him for 10 years. In fact, he is an engineer for Honda Motors. I've had this conversation with him before, thats' why I"m writing this to you.

best to have the crank inspected, tested and higly recommended balance and journaled.

Just want to help

Regards.

jdm_eg6
11-07-2009, 05:03 PM
^^^ If your going to be building a high power engine with high stresses take his advice.

even if the engine had no previous cautionary damage a balanced and blue printed engine is GOLDEN, once that is done it is even possible to attain higher revs without damage due to increased inertial stresses.