PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2009 - 2010

PGTze
02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Well the off season started off with a bang on the first day offree agency, free agent DT Albert Haynseworth signs a 7 year $100M deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ef8064&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Redskins also just re-signed CB DeAngelo Hall to a ridiculous $54M contact over 6 years. They are not afraid to spend money.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ef7380&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

TE Kellen 'Sargent' Winslow surprisingly was traded to the Bucs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ef91c4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Reports also indicate:
- free agent LB Bart Scott heading to the Jets.
- Chiefs are working on trading for LB Mike Vrabel.
- Patriots are going to sign free agent RB Fred Taylor.
- the Texans traded Sage Rosenfels to the Viking for a forth round pick.

It's rare to see this much star power change teams in the NFL in such a short period of time, fun to keep an eye on.

bamboo_warrier
03-01-2009, 11:29 AM
kc cheifs ftw

Aniki
03-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by bamboo_warrier
kc cheifs ftw
Larry Johnson's status is still questionable and they have a horrible defense that can't sack anyone. your just hoping for a dolphin like turnaround

Why the eagles won't grab T.J right away is mind boggling, give D-Mcnabb a fucking target!!!!

i thought ray lewis was going to be one of the first people gone...:dunno:

slick2404
03-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Pats are making big moves, lets wait until MD14 see's this thread and posts the news.

5hift
03-01-2009, 04:33 PM
The Cheifs will have a sick offense and the AFC West has the worst D's in the league so they might be able to put up a decent record, but as mentioned, no defence, no contender.

The eagles wont grab TJ because most teams are scared of signing a old career #2 guy working off spaces created by Chad Johnson to a #1 WR type of contract. Plus I think they spent all their major spending money upgrading their O line. From what I'm reading TJ is going to the Vikings.

Ray Lewis is good, but more about his leadership and image than how he still helps the team and is not worth that huge paycheck. Scott and Suggs make Lewis look a lot better than he is. Not at all surprised he's the last unsigned player of the Ravens linebacking trio as he is by far the worst.

Pats are making big moves and md14 is rightly so jacked up about them, but all the discussion about them is in the Patriots South thread.

Fuck the Giants may be the new best D in the league anyways. They were always good, but now their D line is fucking scary. Backups better than some teams starters? Opposing QBs better be ready for wave after wave of fresh pass rushers the whole game. Canty, Bernard, Robbins, Cofield and Alford at tackle, and Umenyiora, Kiwanuka, Justin Tuck and Tollefson at end. And I'm reading they might not only keep Plax, but deal for Braylon Edwards. Fuck the rich keep getting richer.

PGTze
03-01-2009, 05:18 PM
^^^ well said man.

As a Bengals fan (don't laugh) I'd like to see TJ back, but since he still remains unsigned by anyone it's obvious his asking price is sky high.

The Giants D is getting scary, to think they played so well last year without their best player is mind boggling. I'd have thought they would have addressed their passing game issues by now, losing Shockey and Plax over the last two seasons is going to force them into running the ball every down.

Aniki
03-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
The Cheifs will have a sick offense and the AFC West has the worst D's in the league so they might be able to put up a decent record, but as mentioned, no defence, no contender.

The eagles wont grab TJ because most teams are scared of signing a old career #2 guy working off spaces created by Chad Johnson to a #1 WR type of contract. Plus I think they spent all their major spending money upgrading their O line. From what I'm reading TJ is going to the Vikings.

Ray Lewis is good, but more about his leadership and image than how he still helps the team and is not worth that huge paycheck. Scott and Suggs make Lewis look a lot better than he is. Not at all surprised he's the last unsigned player of the Ravens linebacking trio as he is by far the worst.

Pats are making big moves and md14 is rightly so jacked up about them, but all the discussion about them is in the Patriots South thread.

Fuck the Giants may be the new best D in the league anyways. They were always good, but now their D line is fucking scary. Backups better than some teams starters? Opposing QBs better be ready for wave after wave of fresh pass rushers the whole game. Canty, Bernard, Robbins, Cofield and Alford at tackle, and Umenyiora, Kiwanuka, Justin Tuck and Tollefson at end. And I'm reading they might not only keep Plax, but deal for Braylon Edwards. Fuck the rich keep getting richer.

TJ has been more consistent than CJ by far. If TJ goes to the Eagles he going to have the same shit he has with the bengals. A down field threat receiver in desean jackson and will be looked upon to be the possession guy. TJ is #1 in Cinci CJ is overrated.

Ray Lewis has been around for far longer than terrell suggs and bart scott mentoring the two of them. It's the other way around they are more successful because of the play and heart of ray lewis.

Signing fred taylor is another genius move by the pats, agreed. But giving up matt cassell and mike vrabel for a 34th round pick is weak.

The giants have a defense on paper but we'll see if they show up next year. the steeler's will probably have the best D in the league again but i wouldn't be surprised if the skins do because of signing albert haynesworth.

CKY
03-01-2009, 10:04 PM
The Hall signing by Redskins is a bad bad move, I understand they've never had stability (due to injuries, not poor play) at the DB position since Champ left wayy back when but overpaying a way overrated corner in Hall is absolute suicide. Theres a reason why he left Atlanta and an even bigger reason why he left Oakland. He gets beat and beat consistently getting matched up against opposing #1 receivers. But then again I expected nothing less from the Steinbrenner equivalent of the NFL.

5hift
03-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Aniki

TJ has been more consistent than CJ by far. If TJ goes to the Eagles he going to have the same shit he has with the bengals. A down field threat receiver in desean jackson and will be looked upon to be the possession guy. TJ is #1 in Cinci CJ is overrated.

Ray Lewis has been around for far longer than terrell suggs and bart scott mentoring the two of them. It's the other way around they are more successful because of the play and heart of ray lewis.

Signing fred taylor is another genius move by the pats, agreed. But giving up matt cassell and mike vrabel for a 34th round pick is weak.

The giants have a defense on paper but we'll see if they show up next year. the steeler's will probably have the best D in the league again but i wouldn't be surprised if the skins do because of signing albert haynesworth.

I never said TJ wasnt more consistant than Ocho. TJ plays in the slot(#2 receiver position on depth chart) almost always running slants. CJ plays the big play deep ball. Obviously TJ is going to get more passes to move the chains. TJ is looked at the possesion guy because he is slow as fuck. He is tough, a great blocker, solid hands, but he gets run down by linebackers. I dont like CJ, but he is an amazing receiver. Watch a Bengals game and look at the receiver coverage. He will be doubled on every single play by a corner and saftey while TJ usually gets either the strong saftey or a linebacker covering him.

Ray Lewis has mentored Suggs and Scott, but he is not better than either of them today. Lewis is one dimentional. Both Suggs and Scott can play several positions. When Rex Ryan was the D coordinator for the Ravens, he was actually limited in defensive schemes he could run with Lewis in the last few years as the MLB but couldnt pull him and replace him with Scott who is a much better MLB. When Ryan moved to the Jets and brought Scott with him, that was the first thing he said. Bart Scott has actually been playing out of his best position in order to accomodate Lewis.

Signing Fred Taylor is a good move. But I think the Baker signing will have a bigger impact. Taylor is talented, but he's old, injury prone, will only play the first two downs and cannot play goal line. Keep expectations in check with him. TE on the other hand was a weakness for the Pats with Watson injured last year. Baker is a great athlete for a TE and Brady loves his TEs in the red zone.

The Giants have a defence on paper? They won it the year before because of their defence. They were missing their best defensive player last year and still were scary. They got Osi back, and two sick D linemen, and will probably draft D. I see them being better than the Steelers next year. I dont see Haynesworth really making the skins D any better. They were already good against the run and he's injury prone.

Originally posted by CKY
The Hall signing by Redskins is a bad bad move, I understand they've never had stability (due to injuries, not poor play) at the DB position since Champ left wayy back when but overpaying a way overrated corner in Hall is absolute suicide. Theres a reason why he left Atlanta and an even bigger reason why he left Oakland. He gets beat and beat consistently getting matched up against opposing #1 receivers. But then again I expected nothing less from the Steinbrenner equivalent of the NFL.

Hall did bad in ATL and Oak because both those teams use man to man coverage in the pass defence. Hall is a talented DB, but he is more like Asante Samuel of the Eagles, where he needs a zone to move freely and be a ballhawk. His style of play fits in perfectly with the Skins intense pass rush. He was actually one of the better corners in the league after his trade to the Redskins this year. Champ also didnt leave, he was traded for Portis who is the heart and soul of the team now. Hall's salary also isnt that big when you consider it to other mid level corners in the league. Also not all of it is guarenteed money meaning he will be released long before his contract plays out. Add to the fact that DBs always get ridiculous contacts and are among the highest paid positions.

How can you compare Synder to Steinbrenner? Synder works under a salary cap while Steinbrenner didnt when he managed the team. Synder is spending the same as Jerry Jones or any other big team owner. NFL contracts are seriously backloaded to inflate values. Players rarely ever get all the money. Hanesworth just signed for $100 million, and they are saying he will only get ~$40 mill of that before being released in 2-3 years.

md14
03-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by slick2404
Pats are making big moves, lets wait until MD14 see's this thread and posts the news.

:D

Thats all I got to say,

Oh and, Jason Taylor.. Cut

T.J. Houshmandzadeh to the Seahwaks

PGTze
03-02-2009, 07:43 PM

I never said TJ wasnt more consistant than Ocho. TJ plays in the slot(#2 receiver position on depth chart) almost always running slants. CJ plays the big play deep ball. Obviously TJ is going to get more passes to move the chains. TJ is looked at the possesion guy because he is slow as fuck. He is tough, a great blocker, solid hands, but he gets run down by linebackers. I dont like CJ, but he is an amazing receiver. Watch a Bengals game and look at the receiver coverage. He will be doubled on every single play by a corner and saftey while TJ usually gets either the strong saftey or a linebacker covering him.

This is true but for the majority of last season Ocho Cinco was hurt, TJ was their #1 most of the time and finished like 3rd in the NFL in balls caught.

Originally posted by md14
T.J. Houshmandzadeh to the Seahwaks

Haha Fuck
Well maybe now Seattle will pass on Crabtree in the draft and he will fall to number 6.

5hift
03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Crabtree's stock has been falling since he turned out to be shorter and slower than advertised, not to mention he has a crack in his foot.

Looks like Derrick Ward to the Bucs.

Whats this Warner signing with the Niners garbage? I really hope the Niners dont waste their cap space on him. Common shore up the O line and bring in a playmaking saftey.

urbannomad
03-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Crabtree's stock has been falling since he turned out to be shorter and slower than advertised, not to mention he has a crack in his foot.

Whats this Warner signing with the Niners garbage? I really hope the Niners dont waste their cap space on him. Common shore up the O line and bring in a playmaking saftey.

I think Will Demps, and Atari Bigby are available?

Would be interesting to see what happens to Baltimore, and see if they sign Sugar.

I'm still amazed at the fact that the redskins went after DeAngelo Hall, and for THAT price? wow.

Oz-
03-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by urbannomad

I think Will Demps, and Atari Bigby are available?

Would be interesting to see what happens to Baltimore, and see if they sign Sugar.

I'm still amazed at the fact that the redskins went after DeAngelo Hall, and for THAT price? wow.

$23 million guranteed and $30 mill for the first 3 years. Highly unlikely that he will see his 4th or 5th year of the contract before being cut.

Same thing with Haynesworth. Sure its a seven year deal for $115 M or something, but he won't reach those years of the contract.

Ends up working out to about a four year - $48 million contract. By then he will be an old man for NFL standards and likely a casualty of the salary cap cuts. $29 million in 2013, $10.8 million in 2014 and $12 million in 2015. No way he makes it that far into the contract.

It is about as big a sham as the Nate Clements 8 year contract for the Niners last year. Only thing that really counts in the NFL contracts is the guaranteed money, because if you blow balls you get cut with no need for the team to pay your contract out.

Oz-
03-02-2009, 10:33 PM

No idea why they didn't really try to get Brian Dawkins into the mix, would have been a nice presence for Singletary next year. As long as I can remember the O-Line has been cobblestoned together, I think since the days of Harris Barton leaving...doh.

5hift
03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by urbannomad

Redskins already had Hall. He played surprisingly good for them last year as well. Its also already been asked and explained but you guys dont seem to get how the NFL and contracts work. As Oz got at, all that matters in a contract is the guaranteed money and even that is not 100% guaranteed. The league is set up so teams can dump expensive players easily. The shelf life of a football player is short and the contract you see on tv is just for show.

To break down DeAngelo Hall...In 2008, DeAngelo Hall signed a seven-year, $68-million deal with the Raiders, with $24 million in guaranteed money. So when he got cut in midseason, how much did he end up earning in Oakland? Exactly $8 million. Forget $68 million, he didnt even get $24 that was guaranteed.

I dont know why you think his new contract is insane. Look at what other mid-level players in the secondary positions are getting. The Rams just re-signed corner Ronald Bartell to a four-year, $28 million contract. The deal includes $13.6 million guaranteed. He is decent at best.

Originally posted by Oz-

No idea why they didn't really try to get Brian Dawkins into the mix, would have been a nice presence for Singletary next year. As long as I can remember the O-Line has been cobblestoned together, I think since the days of Harris Barton leaving...doh.

I was really hoping for Brian Dawkins to come to the bay area. The niners are a saftey, pass-rush end, and a 0-linemen away from being division champions in the weak west. We have so much space under the cap, and a young rich kid running the team, why is Brandon Jones our biggest signing?

believe
03-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by md14

:D

Thats all I got to say,

Oh and, Jason Taylor.. Cut

Who does this guy think he is??? the skin's had potentially one of the most experienced defensive lines, but this guy refuses to work out with his teammates in the offseason?

Oz-
03-03-2009, 06:55 AM

I was really hoping for Brian Dawkins to come to the bay area. The niners are a saftey, pass-rush end, and a 0-linemen away from being division champions in the weak west. We have so much space under the cap, and a young rich kid running the team, why is Brandon Jones our biggest signing?

Brandon Jones and Moran Norris...haha why even bother signing Lions players, sure he played for the Niners the year before but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Ever since the Yorks got the team from Eddie it has been downhill, my gut back then told me that the team was going to go downhill because of those guys. My take is get rid of Alex Smith, build a serious army of road graders for Gore, continue drafting guys and not going to blow your load on big names that will likely have poor years (Haynesworth).

Just need to get over the hump of 7-9 to make me happy this year. Hopefully, Jimmy Raye can be a bit more creative then Martz was.

Oz-
03-03-2009, 08:45 AM
For those guys that are still wondering wtf we are talking about with NFL contracts and guranteed money.

Albert Haynesworth First 4 years

Year Signing Bonus Option Bonus Salary
2009 $5 million -- $6 million
2010 -- $21 million $3.6 million
2011 -- -- $5.4 million
2012 -- -- $7.2 million
Totals: four years, $48.2 million.

So the $5 Million is guaranteed money and probably some of the $6 million, but not all of it. In the NFL if you don't dress you don't get paid. That is why the players always go for the guaranteed money, doesn't have to be a front loaded contract but can have roster bonuses like being a player on the roster by April 1, 2010 will net you $2 million.

I also doubt that Haynesworth will play 4 full seasons and at that level. He has been a monster the past 2 years, but has been hurt and also been playing in contract years. Which always seems like great motivation with players, but now he got his huge payday and will likely have trouble with his weight, new system and added pressure to live up to expectations.

5hift
03-03-2009, 12:46 PM
There is reportedly a "rumor" flying around that has the Browns sending Brady Quinn and Shaun Rogers for Jay Cutler and a third-round pick.

I've heard and read so many Cutler rumors including he almost was in a 3 team deal including Cassel. I wonder why Denver seems to want to get rid of him.

Aniki
03-03-2009, 09:31 PM
There is reportedly a "rumor" flying around that has the Browns sending Brady Quinn and Shaun Rogers for Jay Cutler and a third-round pick.

I've heard and read so many Cutler rumors including he almost was in a 3 team deal including Cassel. I wonder why Denver seems to want to get rid of him.

Josh McDaniels confirmed there keeping cutler. I think Cutler's a bitch.

Im hoping the deangelo hall signing is like the randy moss signing for the patriots. A cancer goes into a new environment and actually changes there act for the benefit of the team.

You make a good point a few posts back about the bart scott/ray lewis role. but only time will tell! im still rooting for my ray ray

and yes the giants have a defense on paper. the year they won the bowl they only had 1 player head to hawaii; Osi. The cowboys that year sent a shitload of players to hawaii and there defense ended up being wayyy overrated compared to the hype of their depth chart. the giant lost there defense when steve spagnulo was hired by the rams, its going to take them a while to rebuild the defensive chemistry

please please please i hope marvin harrison takes less money and signs with the eagles. that reunion would be sick!!!!!

5hift
03-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Aniki

Josh McDaniels confirmed there keeping cutler. I think Cutler's a bitch.

Im hoping the deangelo hall signing is like the randy moss signing for the patriots. A cancer goes into a new environment and actually changes there act for the benefit of the team.

You make a good point a few posts back about the bart scott/ray lewis role. but only time will tell! im still rooting for my ray ray

and yes the giants have a defense on paper. the year they won the bowl they only had 1 player head to hawaii; Osi. The cowboys that year sent a shitload of players to hawaii and there defense ended up being wayyy overrated compared to the hype of their depth chart. the giant lost there defense when steve spagnulo was hired by the rams, its going to take them a while to rebuild the defensive chemistry

please please please i hope marvin harrison takes less money and signs with the eagles. that reunion would be sick!!!!!

Management in denver has given mixed signals, and the fact that Cutler's name has come up in several different trades makes me think they were at least fielding offers. I do agree with you though, Cutler is a overated punk.

DeAngelo hall was on the Redskins last year already and he fit in great. He is re-signing and isnt that bad of a value despite what some in this thread think.

I dont think a d-coordinator leaving is going to completely dissolve team chemistry for the Giants. Team captains are still there and are professional veterns used to playing different systems. Talent wise they are better than last year.

I doubt Marvin will sign with Philly. I realize its his hometown, but a aging receiver who's lost a step isnt going to get a large or long term contract. I remember reading that he's already made ~$40 million in his career so it would be surprising for him to take like $2-3 million for a one year contract while having to learn a new offense.

Oz-
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Spagnuolo going to the Rams won't affect the Giants as much as some think. Bill Sheridan is taking over that role and has been with the Giants a lot longer then Spagnuolo was. Watch the Rams be built up like the Eagles, since Spagnuolo does come from the Andy Reid coaching tree.

md14
03-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Calling all Dallas fans, I repeat calling all Dallas fans..

Brace yourself,

T.O. RELEASED (Ha Ha)

5hift
03-05-2009, 12:21 AM
The writing has been on the wall since Williams was brought in and given a big long term contract.

Theres a few good receivers out there and with the ~$5 Million in cash they saved this year I doubt he'll be sorely missed if they can find a solid #2 WR.

Speaking off availible good receivers, reports are saying Joey Galloway is undergoing tests for the Pats now to replace Gaffney. Man that would be some serious speed downfield with him and Moss if he's healthy.

sabad66
03-05-2009, 12:40 AM
:cry: We can't even draft a decent WR since we traded our first round pick away :cry:

5hift
03-05-2009, 11:24 AM
yeah because a decent WR has never come out of later than the first round :rolleyes:

Have you cowboy fans heard of Miles Austin? He's a tall burner with decent hands, and will develop into a solid WR. Garret's offence really only features one WR anyways.

md14
03-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Roy Williams cut too, couldn't cover someone if his life depended on it and was one dirty sob

5hift
03-05-2009, 11:44 AM
The human horsecollar highlight reel has broken that same forearm badly so many times I see it being a yearly situation now.

I dont see much of a market for a guy too slow for the secondary but not strong enough for the box fulltime.

The boys should have quite a bit of cap space now though.

PGTze
03-05-2009, 04:19 PM
The Cowboys have a good young receiving TE they can line up in the slot in Martelus Bennett opposite of Witten. I think he should see a few of the balls this year TO would have otherwise hogged.

5hift
03-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Martelus has a bright future ahead of him as long as he doesnt appear in any more rap videos with gang members

PGTze
03-06-2009, 01:34 AM
I am unaware, I must not be keeping up with my rap videos, what video do you speak of? :dunno:

Aniki
04-02-2009, 09:45 PM
ITS OFFICIAL!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f93745&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Cutler and Hester?????? :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

they gave up a lot to get him though...

roopi
04-02-2009, 09:55 PM
I'd take Cutler over Orton any day. Denver just got one more pedophile.
http://zembla.cementhorizon.com/archives/orton.jpg

5hift
04-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Cutler is going to ruin the bears

2 first rounders and a third rounder? What a fleece job by the Broncos.

Reports are that Cutler already has beef with the Bears being run first, and the fact that the offensive coordinator of the bears, backed out of a scholarship he offered Cutler back when he was the head coach of Illinois.

Orton isnt in Denver's plans long term, they will probably target a QB in the draft

Aniki
04-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Cutler is going to ruin the bears

2 first rounders and a third rounder? What a fleece job by the Broncos.

Reports are that Cutler already has beef with the Bears being run first, and the fact that the offensive coordinator of the bears, backed out of a scholarship he offered Cutler back when he was the head coach of Illinois.

Orton isnt in Denver's plans long term, they will probably target a QB in the draft

not if they can trade for brady quinn. who is familiar in charlie weis' system which is similar to josh mcdaniels system

md14
04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Charlie weis system and Josh Mcdaniels system are two very different offenses...

Quinn trade aint going to happen either

JaBon
04-11-2009, 04:51 PM
ochocinco to a new team (maybe)?? :eek:

Jlude
04-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by roopi
I'd take Cutler over Orton any day. Denver just got one more pedophile.
http://zembla.cementhorizon.com/archives/orton.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PGTze
04-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Well the draft goes tomorrow afternoon. I'll take my best shot at mocking the top 10, even though it will likely be blown to shreds after the first trade of the day...

1. Lions - QB Matthew Stafford
2. Rams - OT Jason Smith
3. Chiefs - LB Aaron Curry
4. Seahawks - QB Mark Sanchez
5. Browns - DE Brian Orakpo
6. Bengals - OT Eugene Monroe
7. Raiders - OT Andre Smith
8. Jags - WR Micheal Crabtree
9. Packers - DE Tyson Jackson
10. 49ers - OT Micheal Oher

* I know BJ Raji will likely go in the top 10, but I couldn't find anywhere to fit him in there.

Anyonw else want to take their shot at it?