PDA

View Full Version : Transmission auto + manual

403Gemini
10-13-2003, 12:23 AM
I know g35's have the auto capability and you can override to go into manual.

when did this transmission begin? my friend is saying it started back in the 60's... but im pretty sure its a new technology thats only within the last few years.

i tried to google for this found nothing, now im here to tap into your guys' infinite knowledge (reason i dont believe my friend is cause he was saying how his friends 98 mx-3 was fast ... and well if he did any research he'd know mx-3's weren't made in 98 heh...)

thanks in advance guys!

3G
10-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I know g35's have the auto capability and you can override to go into manual.

when did this transmission begin? my friend is saying it started back in the 60's... but im pretty sure its a new technology thats only within the last few years.

i tried to google for this found nothing, now im here to tap into your guys' infinite knowledge (reason i dont believe my friend is cause he was saying how his friends 98 mx-3 was fast ... and well if he did any research he'd know mx-3's weren't made in 98 heh...)

thanks in advance guys!

they made them?? Mx-3's in 98??

rage2
10-13-2003, 09:57 AM
It's just an automatic, but with user selectable gear. Pretty much EVERY automatic today has that capability. There's no clutch, still a torque converter.

rice_eater
10-13-2003, 02:10 PM
yeah...so many cars out there have it...you'd think that it'd be more fun but not really...there is no clutch to play with...

hjr
10-13-2003, 03:32 PM
the later model VW beetles (early 70's) and microbuses had a semi-automatic tans. available. it still had a cluch, but shifted by itself (im not 100% on that, but thats my take on it)

GTS Jeff
10-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by hjr
the later model VW beetles (early 70's) and microbuses had a semi-automatic tans. available. it still had a cluch, but shifted by itself (im not 100% on that, but thats my take on it) sounds like smg