PDA

View Full Version : Odometer Concearn??? FAKE CLUSTER?

stikkyp
02-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Im looking into purchasing a 88 honda crx however the odometer is in MPH. I did a parproof but nothing states that it was imported to Canada from the states. Is there any way of finding out if this cluster is legit? Even the speedo is in MPH.. Its a 1988 Honda Crx Si... Any Idea's?

funkedelic2
02-27-2009, 07:07 PM
It might have been imported a long time ago, and just not on record. If it has low miles for the year and condition, then it might have been swapped out. How far back does the history go back on the carfax report? Did you try running a carproof on it?

bignerd
02-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Don't all cars that are imported have to be inspected then get that sticker from the government saying that it is legal? Perhaps the sticker is inside the door jamb somewhere? Or if you could contact the goverment department they may have a record.

Registrar of Imported Vehicles or riv.ca

Might tell you when it was imported or if the mileage on the car was noted when it was imported... other than that perhaps an inspection?

funkedelic2
02-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
Don't all cars that are imported have to be inspected then get that sticker from the government saying that it is legal? Perhaps the sticker is inside the door jamb somewhere? Or if you could contact the goverment department they may have a record.

Registrar of Imported Vehicles or riv.ca

Not all of them will have them. I imported 2 before and once it took forever to get that sticker sent in the mail. It finally did show up but i lost it and never did end up putting it in the door jamb

bignerd
02-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

Not all of them will have them. I imported 2 before and once it took forever to get that sticker sent in the mail. It finally did show up but i lost it and never did end up putting it in the door jamb

It IS important, my husband drove our STi to the states a year after importing it and they pulled him over at Canada customs on the way home and grilled him for an hour about the car thinking he was not declaring it and bringing it back.... all because he didn't want to put that sticker on it.

funkedelic2
02-27-2009, 07:42 PM

It IS important, my husband drove our STi to the states a year after importing it and they pulled him over at Canada customs on the way home and grilled him for an hour about the car thinking he was not declaring it and bringing it back.... all because he didn't want to put that sticker on it.

Never said it wasn't important, i just said i lost it and never ended up putting it on because of that. I have heard of that too, a friend of mine didn't have it on her car and they stopped her and checked everything. She ended up having to call him to confirm a few things.

chkolny541
02-28-2009, 07:33 PM
fake:dunno: is it drawn on or something

Team_Mclaren
02-28-2009, 07:40 PM

then whoever held you guys was retarded.

1. its registered in Canada by then i assume, which meant it had to be imprted and declared at some point
2. you cant just "bring a car back" and not declare it, unless you dont plan on ever have it registered.

the customs should know better, they are retarded to have stopped your husband.

corsvette
02-28-2009, 07:46 PM
I have seen alot of cars with the white face gauge packages you can buy off e-bay,the script only comes in mph and just sticks over your factory guage,kph speedo with a mph sticker over it.

. o 69 o .
03-01-2009, 10:51 PM
or, the cluster was changes to simply falsify the actual KM's... if its sketchy, just walk away... there a loads of crx's for sale.

stikkyp
03-02-2009, 01:48 AM
Its kinda shaky... Would be an ok unit but to many issues.. and its got honda rot.. The car originated in ontario acording to carfax.. then to sask.. then to alberta.. Carfax says that it was never imported.. And its not the aftermarket gauges.. its stock crx gauges just in mph and miles instead of kph.. no sticker as well in the door jam..