PDA

View Full Version : Bcom or Accounting

halfer
02-27-2009, 09:20 PM
So I've been thinking about going into accounting and getting me designation but also considered getting my bcom. Do you think there are any more advantages pursuing the bcom over accounting and which field will have a higher demand?

ragu
02-27-2009, 09:32 PM
accounting > bcom any day of the week. If you're going for CGA, CMA or CA don't bother with bcom.

dodgy
02-28-2009, 10:45 AM
You're going to need 20 classes as prereqs for a CGA CMA anyway = all of which you can use for your BComm... so you might as well get it

BrknFngrs
02-28-2009, 10:48 AM
They are pretty much connected. If you're going to UofC you'll end up with a BComm with a major in accounting.

(Unless you're thinking about trying to take all your required accounting courses while in another faculty)

halfer
02-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Ok, well that's kinda what I was thinking but a few people were suggesting I go to Bcom as they thought it would be more useful. I think with the designation there will be a lot more opportunities for me.

urbannomad
02-28-2009, 01:31 PM
You kind of got the idea, but i don't think you're there yet.

Bcomm = The name of the degree. Anyone who graduates from haskayne has this.

Within the Bcomm you can major/concentrate on diff. fields like finance, accounting, marketing, etc....

Hope that clears it up...I think by bcomm you mean just a general degree right?

Ebon
02-28-2009, 03:26 PM
bcom as in bachelors of commerce or bachelors communications?

Prob. commerce, i dont think canada offers Bcom= bachelors of communications.

If your going to UofC, you can get a bcomm with a major in accounting.

WWJAI
02-28-2009, 04:19 PM
If your considering getting a CGA designation, going through SAIT is the fastest way of obtaining your designation.

ragu
02-28-2009, 04:29 PM
^^^Just out of curosity, how long would it take through SAIT? wouldn't it just be regular 4 year BBA + 1 year CGA = 5yr?

WWJAI
02-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by ragu
^^^Just out of curosity, how long would it take through SAIT? wouldn't it just be regular 4 year BBA + 1 year CGA = 5yr?

Correct. By the time you finish the 4 year BBA, you'll have completed all your PACE electives and you'll only have the two professional applications to complete to obtain your CGA designation, excluding the practical experience requirement.

ragu
02-28-2009, 07:01 PM
So CMA goes through somewhat route as well?

blinkme_210
02-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by ragu
So CMA goes through somewhat route as well?

To do CMA, you have to complete a list of pre-reqs as well. But you write an entrance exam covering subject areas going back to 1st year. Overall the entrance exam is still 90% focused on the hard topics like tax, advanced financial & management accounting, and corporate finance.

To answer the OP's question, if you decide early on to pursue an accounting designation, you will most likely get your BComm in the process. Completing a BComm during your undergrad will allow you to fulfill all the pre-reqs for any of the 3 accounting designations. Most importantly, you will be exposed to all the hard topics of accounting & finance throughout your entire undergrad.

halfer
03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I was looking at Sait just because it seems easier to get in but U of C may be an option i think it would be better for me in the long run to try and get into u of c plus have bcom behind your name as well dosen't hurt.