PDA

View Full Version : New England Patriots South

5hift
02-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Think the Kansas City Chiefs are trying to copy the Patriot winning formula?

They got their new GM from the Pats

Team captain on defense from the Pats

and now

Team captain on offense from the Pats

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that Matt Cassel has been traded to the Chiefs.

The Boston Globe's Mike Reiss has confirmed the news, which is part of the trade sending Mike Vrabel West. There were rumors Cassel could be involved in a three-team swap, but it appears Kansas City will be his final destination. Compensation has not been announced, but it's safe to say the Tyler Thigpen era is over before it started. Cassel may not have excelled in every system, but he's set up for great long-term success under GM Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley, who will play to his strengths. A new contract is likely.

I guess we'll find out pretty quick if Cassel is for real or a product of the system.

dezmarez
02-28-2009, 01:03 PM
so what happens with cassel's salary?
because they gave him the franchise tag
so he will be getting average of top 5 salaries at QB,
does KC have to pay that now or what???

Jlude
02-28-2009, 01:03 PM
ya... I'm guessing not.

But I wonder how much he got paid.

5hift
02-28-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm pretty sure before the trade is done, they will re-work Cassel a long term deal .

SI.com is reporting that the trade involved is Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs for the 34th overall pick of the NFL Draft, and is only pending because they are trying to iron out a deal Cassel will agree to.

dezmarez
02-28-2009, 01:26 PM
ya well the way it works is if its the franchise tag salary
he would be getting 14.6 Million dollars for next year...
crazy

Impreza
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Why are the Pats getting rid of Vrabel?

5hift
02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Because he's old, can barely move and is washed up. He cannot make open field tackles on his own any more. The only purpose he has is pretty much great leadership.

md14
02-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Because Vrabel was on the decline, dont get me wrong he was a great all around played, offense, special teams, defence you name it but the Patriots are on a youth movement there trying to get younger and faster on defense.

To me, there loading up there offense again and hoping that once again an unstopable offense can cary the load for a few seasons while there defense gets up to par.

Go Pats Go!

5hift
02-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by md14

To me, there loading up there offense again and hoping that once again an unstopable offense can cary the load for a few seasons while there defense gets up to par.

Go Pats Go!

Fred Taylor and Chris Baker were great pickups for next to nothing, but they lost Gaffney (underated) and Moss is one year older and Brady is coming off major knee surgery and now has a ball and chain dragging him down.

Not to mention they lost their GM and offensive coordinator. I guess we'll see if the Belichick legend grows.

Impreza
02-28-2009, 03:09 PM
I have faith in Belichick!! Go Pats Go!

sexualbanana
02-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Funny. I predicted this when I was in Vegas last week with a dumbass who was convinced that the Pats were trading Brady and keeping Cassel. God I love being right.

md14
02-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

Fred Taylor and Chris Baker were great pickups for next to nothing, but they lost Gaffney (underated) and Moss is one year older and Brady is coming off major knee surgery and now has a ball and chain dragging him down.

Not to mention they lost their GM and offensive coordinator. I guess we'll see if the Belichick legend grows.

With 20 Mil to spend 3 picks in the 2nd round, I think they should be locked and loaded, Moss is going to be hungier than ever and I think Brady should just be fine, I dont really believe the Pats would have pulled the trigger so fast on Matt if they didnt believe Brady was going to be 100%

Gaffney is going to be missed he had some clutch grabs but he also did have some cruical drops, He was underated but you got to remeber he was just a jag when the patriots picked him up same goes for Caldwell when they had him, I'm sure they'll be able to plug up the #3 WR hole, maybe Marvin.. lol Oh man now I'm dreaming hoping he could return to his old self