PDA

View Full Version : Another BAD Dealership Experience DO NOT GO TO Eastside Dodge!

redevil
02-28-2009, 06:18 PM
So,

here is the thing that is happening. My aunt bought a van from Eastside Dodge. At first she was not approved for financing as she needs a co-signer (so they say), then she gets a call back saying she was approved without a co-signor. I won't go into the financing details as I don't really know the dollars and cents stuff off by hand.

So with the approval, we go pick up the van and sign all the documents at Eastside Dodge. I was kind of skeptical with the entire deal as I wasn't with her when she initially test drove the van and talked to the sales and finance people. But I can tell you that the agreement changed based on the monthly payments and term of the loan as the finance manager told her that was what the bank was willing to do to get her approved. This was when we were sitting inside the finance office...wow, you think they would of let us know that the terms and payments have changed before we came in. Talk about putting the pressure on the sale. So with a lesser term and a slightly higher monthly payment, she decided that she would be able to manage it. The other part of this deal is that it has a balloon payment at the end of the term (I know, it is not the best way to finance a car let alone a domestic but it was they only way she could afford the payments a the moment, and she really needed a van for her family) this amount ended up being less then what was originally thought. Another aspect of the deal that changed when we were there was that the interest rate, as it went up slightly higher as the terms were changed.

But in the end they approved her and she signed the paperwork and terms of the bank loan and drove off with her new car. Financing was approved through the dealer with a major financial institution and not through Chrysler Finance.

Two weeks after picking up the new van she is getting called from the sales and finance manager who she signed the deal with saying that she is NOT approved again :dunno: WHAT?? She took delivery of the van??

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON NOW...declined, approved, declined????

My family and I have bought our share of cars both new and used and have never seen this kind of bad, shady unprofessional way of doing business ever. :thumbsdow

Now they want her to return the car after she has registered and insured it and driven it for the last two week. :eek: We are not sure what is really going on yet or who did the mistake. But if the dealership just realized they screwed up with the numbers and now are losing out on the deal they should be the one to deal with it :guns:

Has anyone else had an experience like this before? What are your thoughts and suggestions. We will be contacting AMVIC to see what we can do.

HELP!
:facepalm:

Mr_ET
02-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Sounds like your aunt can't afford the van or has pretty bad credit. Sounds like they tried all they could to make something work.

I agree the way they did it with only talking about it in the finance office is shady but I have seen many deals work that way.

If she needs the van maybe she needs to put some down on it as I'm sure she is putting down something minimal if any at all right now and she needs to find someone who will co sign for her.

You can see what you can do about fighting the dealership and telling them they screwed up and she should keep the car and payments as is but dealerships usually come out on top in these types of arguments.

Lesson learned I guess, next time make sure you are as informed as can be before signing papers and review the contract to see if it can be cancelled by the dealership once both parties have signed.

googe
02-28-2009, 06:34 PM
There is an age old trick where the next step is they will come back with

"good news, we WERE able to get you approved, unfortunately it's a slightly higher rate..."

Since most people are sick of dealing with it by then, and don't want to give the vehicle back, they just agree to it. Either that, or they end up pressuring a cosigner that was on the fence before.

But yes, they can ask for it back if the agreement was subject to financing. The best thing to do if you have questionable credit history is get a loan from your bank ahead of time and don't get the dealer involved. You shouldn't finance through a dealer anyway, unless they have a good promotional rate and you have great credit. Otherwise, you're just getting scammed another way.

It's called the Spot Delivery Scam, and if they do it, definitely file a complaint with AMVIC.

The first part about the new payments sounds like a different scam, but I think you already know that was a bad deal and she only took it because she needs the van. That new financing will end up costing a lot more for the car if you add it up, guaranteed.

redevil
02-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Well that was the thing, they said that the financing was already in place. The documents she signed which went over the terms and conditions of the loan agreement wasn't subject to financing. They said that this was the only way the bank would approve the deal if it was for a shorter 60 month term versus the 72 month term. Since it was a zero down deal it can only go to 60 months. They also said that the approval was without a co-signor.

The deal was not subject to financing as it was in place with the terms and conditions already set out in the paperwork that was signed.

I can see if the deal was still subject to financing but, it wasn't, as the dealership was going through the process of getting a bank to approve it the week before. They then called her back letting her know that they were able to approve her with one of the institutions that they send their deals, and it was a one of the bigger banks and not a third party high interest lender.

4doorj
02-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Wow, that is messed up!
How can they let you take the car, then take it back?
That sounds stupid.
It seems like the finance manager doesn't know what he/she is doing.

chkolny541
02-28-2009, 07:26 PM
lol:goflames:

RickDaTuner
02-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
Wow, that is messed up!
How can they let you take the car, then take it back?
That sounds stupid.
It seems like the finance manager doesn't know what he/she is doing.

oh they know what they are doing alright...

canuckcarguy
02-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Pretty soon to tell if they're going to try to switch her, at this point, to more expensive financing.

If I were a betting man, I'd say one of 2 things happened: First option, your aunt wasn't completely forthright on her application and something was misrepresented (I'm not saying she lied necessarily, but was misunderstood?). I'd say this is unlikely, as they'd have probably already explained it to her.

More likely is the dealership was creative in its bank submission, and got bank approval on that basis. They got paperwork for your aunt, and then submitted everything to the bank, after your aunt had driven away. The bank came back and refused the loan, based on incomplete or inaccurate information provided to them by the dealership.

In other words, dealer either lied or screwed up, and to keep the bank happy, they have to get the vehicle back.

I would think that if she wanted to, your aunt could cause a fuss and hang onto the vehicle, she has a signed contract at this point... but I'm not sure, it would depend on the actual paperwork she received.

canuckcarguy
02-28-2009, 07:53 PM
What year / make / model did she buy, and what did she pay?

Masked Bandit
02-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy

More likely is the dealership was creative in its bank submission, and got bank approval on that basis. They got paperwork for your aunt, and then submitted everything to the bank, after your aunt had driven away. The bank came back and refused the loan, based on incomplete or inaccurate information provided to them by the dealership.

^ This.

A financing deal is somewhat similar to an insurance policy in that the deal is a go assuming the details the dealership gave to the lender were accurate. My guess is that when the papers showed up at the lender for underwriting, the info didn't match. Whether your Aunt gave incorrect info or the dealership fudge some details unfortunately doesn't matter. I think the van will have to go back.

The other thing I've seen is that a junior staff member at the lender approves a borderline deal and then when the actual papers get to the lender, a more senior staff member says "no phuckin' way".

Zero102
03-01-2009, 12:45 AM
I went to eastside dodge to compare pricing on a car I was looking at. While I was there I told the salesperson that I had already been to another dealership and what pricing they had offered me. After I left the salesperson I dealt with called the other dealership, found my salesperson then told him I came in and signed a contract to buy a car from them (which I did not). Let's just say my salesperson at the other dealership was pissed.

Shady business practices at eastside dodge? no way... ;)

If you want my opinion, turn the vehicle back in, visit country chrysler see what they have that your aunt is interested in, have her go to her bank (or insurance company, some of them do car loans as well), then go buy the right vehicle for her from the right dealership.

The more people who let them get away with this shit the more they will try to do it. That is easily the shadiest dodge dealership in the city.