PDA

View Full Version : FNCE 317 midterm

aklalani
03-02-2009, 12:01 AM
i pray to god i pass tomorrow. lol. anyone else writing tomorrow?

urbannomad
03-02-2009, 12:35 AM
I am too.....kinda freaked out about it.
:(

I feel ok about TVM, Bonds/bills are good and everything else i feel like is a crapshoot.
:guns:

in*10*se
03-02-2009, 12:46 AM
EVERYONE PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl: i'm glad its done :)

Tripen
03-02-2009, 06:22 AM
my girlfriend's writing tomorrow. she was super stressed out about it. I think she was even crying when she was talking to me on the phone about it.

dimi
03-02-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm hoping for 70%.

flipstah
03-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Tripen
my girlfriend's writing tomorrow. she was super stressed out about it. I think she was even crying when she was talking to me on the phone about it.

It's win-win for you!

If she aces it, victory sex! If not, console sex!

DUBBED
03-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Is this course really that tough at UofC?

The comparable finance class at my university is a joke, I got 102% on the midterm for that class, (bonus marks).

If I remember correctly the class average was around 80%.

Boat
03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED

The comparable finance class at my university is a joke, I got 102% on the midterm for that class, (bonus marks).

I heard most people dont even finish the exam, class average is in the 50s?

in*10*se
03-02-2009, 06:47 PM

if your university class has bonus marks.... i really question the quality of the university you went to.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and yes, its that hard.

aklalani
03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
that was pretty tough. god damn

Mckenzie
03-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I dont think prayers will help with that exam lol...besides the 3 day UFE exam, it was probably one the hardest exams I have taken hands down, especially being MC.

I've never seen so many people in the last 3 mins fill out so many MC questions by guessing blindly.

Good luck guys! :thumbsup:

One of my ex's took it and failed the entire course in a ball of flames. A few other friends also had a miserable time with it...I'll never forget the kid who told me the day before he had not started studying and would just learn it in the exam. I lol'd :rofl: he failed :nut: :banghead:

cjab
03-02-2009, 08:20 PM
I didn't think it was too bad, did any of you do the practice midterm in the course notes?

austic
03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
its not that bad of a course, some of the senior finance and accounting courses are worse

urbannomad
03-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by cjab
I didn't think it was too bad, did any of you do the practice midterm in the course notes?

YES!

A lot of the questions were repeats. IF you had done the practice midterm.....dear god, I hope it's not one of those:

"my god, that was easy"
end result:
FAIL big time....I will be praying to any diety that is out there willing to listen :lol:

swg
03-02-2009, 10:29 PM
that test was difficult but its suppose to be easier then the final from what i heard.

Mx6er
03-02-2009, 10:32 PM
That test was pretty hard compared to the practice midterm. I think i still did decent on it, but probably no where near what I wanted. The corporate taxation question was difficult, as well as some of the theory problems. anyone know when we get our marks back?

cjab
03-02-2009, 11:04 PM
I think I did well, and that scares me, because it always ends up being the complete opposite. Fuck im starting to get scared.

urbannomad
03-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Mx6er
That test was pretty hard compared to the practice midterm. I think i still did decent on it, but probably no where near what I wanted. The corporate taxation question was difficult, as well as some of the theory problems. anyone know when we get our marks back?

I hated question #41...had no clue where to begin... the plowback/payout ratio question.

7thgenvic
03-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Lucky you kids. When I wrote the Midterm 3 years ago our class average was 47%. They had to take away 3 questions just to push it above 50 :)

7thgenvic
03-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Did you kids buy the FMG package...If so how did you find it?

Mx6er
03-02-2009, 11:13 PM
fmg package was sort of useless...
had all the wrong tax brackets from previous year exams and a useless set of financial statement analysis questions

Gainsbarre
03-03-2009, 07:38 AM
fmg package was sort of useless...
had all the wrong tax brackets from previous year exams and a useless set of financial statement analysis questions

:rofl: hardly a surprise. They haven't updated it since I wrote it in 2005, with the exception of trashing the part that states that the questions shouldn't be reproduced without my permission and the witty but obscure references in a bunch of questions (e.g. I call the Calgary School a bunch of benevolent academics dedicated to wildlife conservation and aboriginal rights) -- all replaced with lame shit now.

FNCE 317 totally changed in Fall 2005 when they got rid of the second half of the course, choosing instead to focus entirely on the material covered in the early chapters of the course.

If you're really desperate for a copy of the FMG package, I can simply send you the electronic copy that I have. While it is dated (4 years old) it'll be pretty much unchanged from the current package.

dimi
03-03-2009, 09:22 AM
I didn't think it was that hard. Having taking quite a few concentration accounting courses, I must say a lot of the material was repeat for me. I was done with 50 mins to go, checked it over once and I think I'm good. :dunno:

When I handed it in with 15 mins to go in the exam, going up the isle and looking at people scantrons, wooooow. Some still had 15-20 left, and it seemed this one girl was about to start crying.

DUBBED
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se

if your university class has bonus marks.... i really question the quality of the university you went to.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and yes, its that hard.

Sobey's School of Business at St. Mary's University in Halifax, one of the highest ranked business schools in Canada actually.

Regardless, the material is the same, I know for a fact we use the same textbook.

flipstah
03-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by dimi
I didn't think it was that hard. Having taking quite a few concentration accounting courses, I must say a lot of the material was repeat for me. I was done with 50 mins to go, checked it over once and I think I'm good. :dunno:

When I handed it in with 15 mins to go in the exam, going up the isle and looking at people scantrons, wooooow. Some still had 15-20 left, and it seemed this one girl was about to start crying.

So it looks like do some concentration ACCT courses THEN FNCE.

Thanks for the heads up good sir!

Mx6er
03-05-2009, 01:22 PM
anyone know when we get our grades back? its like being tortured not knowing and having to check every half hour...

Nusc
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Tripen

So is there victory sex?

icky2unk
03-05-2009, 03:31 PM

Sobey's School of Business at St. Mary's University in Halifax, one of the highest ranked business schools in Canada actually.

Regardless, the material is the same, I know for a fact we use the same textbook.

There is no textbook for this class. Its course notes written by our prof.

And on topic of the midterm it was alot like the practice midterm in the course notes. Almost question for question, different numbers. One of theory questions was the complete opposite of the ones on the midterm so all you had to do was look at the answer for the prac midterm and you had the answer to the midterm question.

For some odd reason the only question I couldn't do was the average tax paid. I kept getting 30.17% instead of 30.25 or the one below it. Dead center.

urbannomad
03-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by icky2unk

There is no textbook for this class. Its course notes written by our prof.

And on topic of the midterm it was alot like the practice midterm in the course notes. Almost question for question, different numbers. One of theory questions was the complete opposite of the ones on the midterm so all you had to do was look at the answer for the prac midterm and you had the answer to the midterm question.

For some odd reason the only question I couldn't do was the average tax paid. I kept getting 30.17% instead of 30.25 or the one below it. Dead center.

There is a textbook for this class. But it doesn't really help you come exam time. It is only good for understanding what it is that you are doing, and why you are doing it. It's more theory based, and based less on questions, and more on who?what?where?when?and why?

This course is hard because they want you to be prepared for exams like the UFE, CFA level exams, etc... as well as weeding kids out. That's why this course is hard, they are getting you in the mind set to calculate these "miniscule" calculations instantly, and to be prepared for the higher level stuff.

IhateDomestic
03-05-2009, 11:39 PM

Ranked according to whom? ... I googled it, nothing special about that school either.

One magazine rated it as a 'top' school. Are they known for statistical and educational research? Are they U.S News? LOL all it takes is some cash to influence an article...but there's no credibility to that statement. For sakes, we can just say right now Mount Royal College is the best business school in Canada right now...there's no way to prove it.

If you scored 102% on your Finance exam, you're either a genius, lucky, cheater, easy test, or that class is not curved like Haskayne...especially for Finance; unless you were taught by Bernie Madoff.

There's something called university politics; the more kids who fail must retake the course which in turn = $... maybe that's not how it works in the maritime..and even if the material was the same, it doesn't mean you were tested/evaluated the same as in Haskayne; you write totally different exams.

It all depends on the prof :whipped: + certain 317 courses designed to weed out weaklings

sneek
03-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by IhateDomestic

Ranked according to whom? ... I googled it, nothing special about that school either.

One magazine rated it as a 'top' school. Are they known for statistical and educational research? Are they U.S News? LOL all it takes is some cash to influence an article...but there's no credibility to that statement. For sakes, we can just say right now Mount Royal College is the best business school in Canada right now...there's no way to prove it.

If you scored 102% on your Finance exam, you're either a genius, lucky, cheater, easy test, or that class is not curved like Haskayne...especially for Finance; unless you were taught by Bernie Madoff.

There's something called university politics; the more kids who fail must retake the course which in turn = $... maybe that's not how it works in the maritime..and even if the material was the same, it doesn't mean you were tested/evaluated the same as in Haskayne; you write totally different exams.

It all depends on the prof :whipped: + certain 317 courses designed to weed out weaklings

LOL MGST 317 was made to weed out kids. It isn't difficult, just so boring that you might not survive.

t_soarer
03-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by swg
that test was difficult but its suppose to be easier then the final from what i heard.

Yes, that's totally true. The final....if you get lost in the capital budgeting question...forget it

BananaFob
03-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by t_soarer

Yes, that's totally true. The final....if you get lost in the capital budgeting question...forget it

Rofl. For my year Larry decided to make the answers to all 11 capital budgeting questions "B." Can you imagine answering B to 11 questions in a row? What a mindfuck.

urbannomad
03-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Has anyone gotten their marks back?
:( been stressing out about this too much. :banghead:

swg
03-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by BananaFob

Rofl. For my year Larry decided to make the answers to all 11 capital budgeting questions "B." Can you imagine answering B to 11 questions in a row? What a mindfuck.

you sure thats what the answer key was?

BananaFob
03-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by swg

you sure thats what the answer key was?

Well considering I got 98% on the final, I'm fairly sure it was 11 B's in a row. Larry is also the type to fuck you like that.

Konj
03-07-2009, 08:39 AM
^^^^ sure you did.
and I have a 3.98 in Nuclear Physics.

BananaFob
03-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Konj
^^^^ sure you did.

Uh ok. Because it's that hard to believe that people actually do well in a Finance class? :rolleyes:

Mx6er
03-08-2009, 05:01 PM

Well considering I got 98% on the final, I'm fairly sure it was 11 B's in a row. Larry is also the type to fuck you like that.

Were you the only student that got the Finance 317 hat (for an A+) haha :D

BananaFob
03-08-2009, 05:42 PM

:( No. I didn't do nearly as well on my midterm. Ended up with an A anyways though.

Mx6er
03-08-2009, 06:26 PM

:( No. I didn't do nearly as well on my midterm. Ended up with an A anyways though.

That really respectable, I just find it hard to focus on my other classes when 80% of my studying is Finance. Its pretty hard to manage with a full course load.

If I had that hat im almost positive I would sport it to the den :bigpimp:

flipstah
03-08-2009, 06:26 PM

There's a FNCE hat? I'd pimp that throughout my BComm career!

That's my goal now: To get that hat.

icky2unk
03-09-2009, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Konj
^^^^ sure you did.

It really isn't that rediculous, Finance is one of those things, where if you get it, it comes easy.

I walked into ACCT 317 final with an 80% but I spent alot of time studying for the final and making sure i get the material. Got 98 on the final. So its not unbelievable for someone to get 98 on finance if they put in the effort and understand the material.

Mx6er
03-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Marks are up:(
didnt get what I wanted.

swg
03-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by icky2unk

It really isn't that rediculous, Finance is one of those things, where if you get it, it comes easy.

I walked into ACCT 317 final with an 80% but I spent alot of time studying for the final and making sure i get the material. Got 98 on the final. So its not unbelievable for someone to get 98 on finance if they put in the effort and understand the material.

Wait, what does the accounting 317 final have anything to do with finance 317?

dimi
03-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by swg

:werd: I got an A in 317. Its not the weeder class everyone makes it out to be. 85% on the FNCE midterm :D

icky2unk
03-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by swg

I am just giving an example that the "weeder" 317 classes can be conquered. As ACCT 317 and FNCE 317 are both known as harder classes so the fact I can get a 98 in ACCT leads to the possibility someone else can get 98 in FNCE.

If you took the time to read the entire thread rather than just my post you would understand where my post is coming from. Or maybe you did read the entire thead, which in that situation I don't understand where you post is coming from.

At any rate, very happy with my midterm mark