PDA

View Full Version : Haskayne 2008 Salary Survey

Boat
03-03-2009, 03:28 AM
http://wcm2.ucalgary.ca/haskaynecareers/salarysurvey

MBA stats are pretty much spoken for, of course 100% are going to be hired, because its usually that company that sends their employees back to complete the MBA program.

As for the Bcomm stats it will be interesting to see what its like for this year. I'm guessing we will see a 0-5% increase in salaries for this year, I don't think there will be negative, but you never know.

As for the coop program :rolleyes: I could care less about it.

theken
03-03-2009, 03:44 AM
so essentially i make more than almost all of those figures with no education? how is school justified

missed "than" for my edit

Boat
03-03-2009, 04:25 AM
Some people are luckier than others,

but you can generally expect a steady increase in salary till the day you retire. This type of work you can do till you are 65+

I didn't post this to brag about salaries, there are a lot of factors that play into having a great career, not just money, (ie job security, working conditions, benefits, type of work), post secondary education is easily justified: some people like to strive for higher knowledge in a community which supports learning. Education really depends on what you want to do in life, as long as you can support yourself and your family well, salary should be very low on your list of values/priorities.

I can't pass judgments on your career situation, maybe you should enlighten us with more details. =)

vinc456
03-03-2009, 09:06 AM
It's incredible how the average person's salary skyrocketed 50-60% upon completion of an MBA.

core_upt
03-03-2009, 09:28 AM
or how the avg. salary dropped (as did the number of grads) in 2008.... interesting to see what happens with MBA grads in 09.....

Xtrema
03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by vinc456
It's incredible how the average person's salary skyrocketed 50-60% upon completion of an MBA.

You'll have to look at how long that person took to complete the program, especially evening classes.

Al Duerr took almost 6 years to finish his. So that's 10% a year in raises which isn't uncommon for the last 6 years.

Stats can always be played in favor of seller, in this case U of C.

Originally posted by core_upt
or how the avg. salary dropped (as did the number of grads) in 2008.... interesting to see what happens with MBA grads in 09.....

Enrollment will be up while salary will be down. A good portion of MBA comes from finanical sector and it has been brutal for them.

Neil4Speed
03-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by theken
so essentially i make more than almost all of those figures with no education? how is school justified

Uhhh, some people like school, are interested in what they are doing.

hampstor
03-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Uhhh, some people like school, are interested in what they are doing.

Just because you don't go to school for something doesn't mean you're not interested in it.

Neil4Speed
03-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

Just because you don't go to school for something doesn't mean you're not interested in it.

I agree.

Did you post that out of context to the comment that I responded to?

khtm
03-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Wow, I love how when I was in Uni all the Commerce students said they'd be making $100k right out of school. And this was 5+ years ago.

:rofl:

three.eighteen.
03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
yeah...go rmin/rmif! :rofl:

Dumbass17
03-03-2009, 01:17 PM
wtf is MBA?

Xtrema
03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
wtf is MBA?

Master of Business Administration.

Great if you want upward advancement in management. Pretty useless by itself if you don't have a ton of experience behind you.

davidI
03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by theken

Those figures are also based on your first year out of Uni. Obviously salaries increase as you gain experience...

I don't know too many people who were making $50k/year right out of high school and if you did, then you're the exception rather than the rule.

I don't necessarily think University is the route for everyone, but some form of post-secondary schooling is important IMO whether it be in trades, a diploma program or a degree.

hampstor
03-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I agree.

Did you post that out of context to the comment that I responded to?

yeah my comment was directed to your comment. I was also going to add that i always thought MBA's were a dime a dozen - I was amazed that 15/15 graduates found jobs relative to their education. However, I forgot to type it before i submitted :rofl: