PDA

View Full Version : Jetta

Sunchips
10-13-2003, 05:49 PM
I am looking for a late 80's or early 90's Jetta. I have found one but I do not know if it is a good deal.

1987 Jetta GL
233 000 km
minimal rust.

still have to see how it runs. They only want $1000.

Any suggestions on whether it is a good deal?? Are there anythings I should know about when it comes to Jettas??

Thanks

Sunchips

Weapon_R
10-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Sounds like a fair deal. If it checks out, $1000 isn't that huge of an investment, so go for it.

DUBBED
10-13-2003, 06:31 PM
be extremely extensive if you're worried about having to spend money on it in the future... $1000 may seem fair but you never know what you're going to have to invest in the future...

make sure you check the engine thats the big thing... especially with that year and model... as long as its not blowing smoke out the pipe then should be good for another 230k....

Sunchips
10-13-2003, 08:21 PM
ok thanks. Just within the last years or so I have been interested in VW's. The golf's are nice too but they are a little smaller. I like the Jetta because it is a shade better. You can probably do a little more with a Jetta then you can with a Golf

3G
10-14-2003, 09:53 AM
not bad, my friend got his 87 with 175k for $1500 so if it checks out go for it :)

Ben
10-14-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Sunchips
ok thanks. Just within the last years or so I have been interested in VW's. The golf's are nice too but they are a little smaller. I like the Jetta because it is a shade better. You can probably do a little more with a Jetta then you can with a Golf

Actually its the other way around as far as practicality of use. and both cars are identical in interior space except for the trunk.

I'm assuming its the plain jane 1.8L 8V.

Make sure you check the CV's and Syncros in the gearbox, check out the compression and make sure it aint leakin stuff.

other than that, have fun.

for a G note thats an alright price, just make sure its not rotting out where you cant see ;)

My GTI:

http://www.psylence.com/GTI/gtishow01.jpg

finboy
10-14-2003, 11:29 AM
make sure to get an inspection, i bought mine for 1800, and though i got a screaming deal. a year and a half later, everything has broken and had to be replaced (and put me pretty deep in debt) and it is still breaking

redline_13000
10-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by finboy
make sure to get an inspection, i bought mine for 1800, and though i got a screaming deal. a year and a half later, everything has broken and had to be replaced (and put me pretty deep in debt) and it is still breaking

:werd: ..garbage in my opinion, especially for 1000 bux

Moe Man
10-14-2003, 06:11 PM
unless it runs like a beaut then go for it

listen for weird noises like valves ticken and check to see that you have to push the gear shifter down to get it in revers if it is manual

Sunchips
10-15-2003, 06:40 AM
I checked out that Jetta but it needs front end work. The front end shook quite a bit no the highway and just driving around town. I will just keep my eyes open to see if any others come up for sale. If any one knows of any, let me know.

hjr
10-15-2003, 10:06 AM
ya, its not a big deal. they are average cars and are pretty readily available. If you think something is wrong with it, walk away because its not worth it.