PDA

View Full Version : Moti Mahal

snoop101
03-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey guys so first I would like to say that the Moti Mahal on 17th is amazing.

What I would like to know is if anyone has ate at the one in Midnapore? Any thoughts?

nonlinear
03-03-2009, 07:02 PM
the midnapore location is often cited as one of the best indian places in calgary

dannie
03-03-2009, 07:27 PM
We eat there quite often. There isnt a whole lot of great restaurants in the south, so moti is a good fall-back restaurant. I haven't been disappointed with their food there. I've eaten at the one on 17th, and it is identical.

That being said, Rajdoot is still my fav in Calgary. Their butter chicken is outta this world.

rumeo
03-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Tell me more of this Rajdoot

dannie
03-03-2009, 07:43 PM
What do you want to know?

Mibz
03-03-2009, 07:45 PM
I just picked up dinner from Moti Mahal Midnapore tonight ;)

We get take-out from there about twice a month and dine in whenever we've got friends that feel like joining us.

5 star food, 5 star staff. The service has never been anything spectacular but the staff is extremely friendly and polite.

jdmakkord
03-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Moti Mahal and Green Chili are 2 of my favorites for E.I restaurants. Seeing as I'm brown, I guess that has to count for something:D

rumeo
03-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by dannie
What do you want to know?
Where is it?
Did you get the buffet?
How is the pricing like?
Service?

dannie
03-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Moti Mahal and Green Chili are 2 of my favorites for E.I restaurants. Seeing as I'm brown, I guess that has to count for something:D

Really? I got take out from green chili on mcleod a couple weeks ago, and it was good.... but not as good as Rajdoot....

dino_martini
03-03-2009, 08:20 PM
If there is one thing I dont love about Moti Mahal is that the portions seem a little small to me. Maybe its just that we had 4 people :dunno:

dannie
03-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by rumeo

Where is it?
Did you get the buffet?
How is the pricing like?
Service?

www.rajdoot.ca

They are on 4th st downtown.
The buffet looks good. I haven't ever had it though.
The Butter Chicken, Roganjosh (sp?), cucumber salad and garlic naan are awesome. Their mango lassi is sooooo good.

The service is minimal. I wouldnt say they go out of their way for you, but they are there to do their job and get it done right.

Neil4Speed
03-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Give Saffron a try if anyone lives in the NW. Its opposite Sir Winston Churchill beside Spice rack. Excellent garlic naan and butter chicken, great portions too (which is rare sometimes from Indian take out)

jdmakkord
03-03-2009, 09:40 PM

Really? I got take out from green chili on mcleod a couple weeks ago, and it was good.... but not as good as Rajdoot....

They catered my wedding, and it was excellent. I've had takeout a few times and it was always good too.

dannie
03-03-2009, 09:42 PM
^ Interesting. I will have to try them again then. Thanks for the heads up :)

Did you get the take out from the one on McLeod? I heard there was one in the North too....

jdmakkord
03-03-2009, 09:48 PM
^ Interesting. I will have to try them again then. Thanks for the heads up :)

Did you get the take out from the one on McLeod? I heard there was one in the North too....

They have 4 now. Macleod, 17th ave sw, crowchild(where I go) and crowfoot.

483hp
03-03-2009, 10:59 PM

crowchild(where I go) and crowfoot.

Haven't heard of these locations. Where are they?

jdmakkord
03-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by 483hp

Haven't heard of these locations. Where are they?

Crowchild is right across from McMahon near the Nissan dealership I guess. The other one in Crowfoot is brand new, haven't seen where exactly. www.greenchili.ca

EK 2.0
03-04-2009, 08:40 AM

Werrrrd...

GQBalla
03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
really???? moti mahal was good but i didn't really like their butter chicken.

green chili in crowfoot i found was nasty....even though im chinese so i can't really judge hehe.

powerslave
03-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Moti Mahal (I've only been to the Midnapore one) is the best indian food ever.
Enough said.

EK 2.0
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

really???? moti mahal was good but i didn't really like their butter chicken.

It's cause Butter Chicken is not real "authentic" Cha Jai food mang...haha...But the hardcore dishes are soooo good...

GQBalla
03-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

It's cause Butter Chicken is not real "authentic" Cha Jai food mang...haha...But the hardcore dishes are soooo good...

REALLY???

interesting to know butter chicken from EI food is like the ginger beef of chinese food -

moti mahal are there 2 locations?

or is midna pore the one on 17th ave?

sputnik
03-04-2009, 05:06 PM

REALLY???

interesting to know butter chicken from EI food is like the ginger beef of chinese food

I heard it originated in England by the EI people living there.

nismodrifter
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM

REALLY???

interesting to know butter chicken from EI food is like the ginger beef of chinese food -

moti mahal are there 2 locations?

or is midna pore the one on 17th ave?

Yes 2 locations.

1st location is on 14st SW

Midnapore is all the way in the south inside Midnapore Mall (Take Macleod Trail south, take exit for Midlake Blvd, mall is on the right hand side)

www.motimahal.ca

nonlinear
03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

REALLY???

Originally posted by sputnik
I heard it originated in England by the EI people living there.

Bullshit :bullshit:, according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_chicken):

Butter chicken or Murgh makhani is an Indian dish and popular in countries all over the world. The origins of butter chicken can be traced back to Delhi, during the period of Mughal Empire. [1] According to a documentary by the Discovery Channel, butter chicken recipe was invented by a person working in the kitchen staff of a famous restaurant called Moti Mahal located in Daryaganj, the central region of Delhi. While the dish's general recipe is well known, the actual flavor can vary from restaurant to restaurant even within India. Butter chicken is usually served with naan, roti, parathas or steamed rice. This Indian chicken dish is also quite popular in Pakistan, which in return also has popular food that is thoroughly enjoyed in India especially "Lahori food" (food from Lahore).

so i guess we can see where Moti Mahal in Calgary stole its name from :D

5hift
03-04-2009, 09:14 PM
While it did originate from Northern India, it didnt come out until the 1950s by a British style restaurant originally. Then it spread to all the Dhabbas or small stalls. Its not traditional Indian food and 95% of the people in this region dont even eat any kind of meat.

EK 2.0
03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

While it did originate from Northern India, it didnt come out until the 1950s by a British style restaurant originally. Then it spread to all the Dhabbas or small stalls. Its not traditional Indian food and 95% of the people in this region dont even eat any kind of meat.

thank you...

Plus having visited Pakistan and India as a child it was near impossible to find...in all major cities...

I recall waiters in Pakistan looking at me like I was speaking Japanese...

nonlinear
03-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

so what. do you consider McDonald's American food? or is american food only squirrels, turtles, gators and possums?

szw
03-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I always thought Chicken Tikka Masala originated in the UK also.

5hift
03-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

so what. do you consider McDonald's American food? or is american food only squirrels, turtles, gators and possums?

What does this have anything to do with what I said? Butter chicken is a type of western influenced Indian cuisine. It’s not traditional Indian food in any sense. McDonalds is an international fast food brand with more than one type of food (also found in India with an almost all veggie menu btw). Just because you believed the first thing you read on a Wiki page anyone can edit, doesn’t mean you have to further show your level of intelligence with this immature response.

nonlinear
03-04-2009, 11:02 PM
dude, chill out :rolleyes:

clem24
03-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Indian food = the raunchiest gas/shit EVER... But so f'ing good :drool: (if prepared properly LOL). Moti Mahal on 14th used to be my fave until I found Spice Hut in Hunterhorn Plaza. It's probably the best value out there ($8-10 for HUGE take out containers) and so goooooood!!!!

There's also this dive on Edmonton Tr. beside the Diner Deluxe. Can't remember the name but they also have pizza. Anyway, my EI friends brought me there, and it's quite good and inexpensive (on par with Spice Hut). It's so ghetto that you eat with plastic utensils and paper plates when you dine in. :rofl:

dizzle
03-07-2009, 08:51 PM
any good places to get take out butterchicken (GOOD butter chicken) in the NE?

brown911
03-12-2009, 02:34 AM

Im sorry, but your brown and you think Green Chilli is good? eh....... OK

punch love
03-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I love eatin out here.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREENBOY
03-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Green Chilli is awesome for takeout.

Ajay
03-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Moti Mahal is amazing.

Last time I was there for lunch I was kind of disappointed. The butter chicken was kind of runny and the chicken pieces were massive. Everything else was top notch but the butter chicken wasn't as good. Still one of the better ones but I still love Glory of India on 4th Ave. Their lunch buffet is AMAZING.

jdmakkord
03-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by brown911

Im sorry, but your brown and you think Green Chilli is good? eh....... OK

Um yeah, along with the 300 other people that were at my wedding. We did south indian for lunch, and north indian for dinner. Its easily the best indian take out joint in town. eh.....OK

nj2Type-S
03-16-2009, 06:50 PM
do they have buffets at moti mahal? if so, how much?

all i ever eat at E.I. buffets are butter chicken, rice and naan, lol!

Mibz
03-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
do they have buffets at moti mahal? if so, how much?

all i ever eat at E.I. buffets are butter chicken, rice and naan, lol! Yeah, they have a lunch buffet. I dunno how much though.

petoria
03-17-2009, 11:55 AM
anyone know if there butter chicken has mixed in nuts?
i'm allergic and namskar sent me to the hopsital last time i went

jdmakkord
03-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by petoria
anyone know if there butter chicken has mixed in nuts?
i'm allergic and namskar sent me to the hopsital last time i went

I'm extremely allergic as well. A lot of places use cashew powder to thicken their sauces. Ask ahead of time. Namaskar refused to make it without Cashews one time for us, so we walked on a large catering job. Green chili is good for requests, no problems at moti mahal either. I've eaten the butter chicken a few times with to epi-pen needed.

elm3100
09-01-2009, 12:18 AM
I second Spice Hut on 64 Ave NE. Good balance of taste and price. The absolute best indian food i've had so far is at Puspa on Northmount Drive.

I'm not sure what all the hubbub is about concerning Moti Mahal in Midnapore. I found they overcharged and underdelivered.

Shunsui
09-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Kinda random, but for almost my whole life I've hated Indian food because they were "too spicy" and sometimes "too sweet". BUT I took my mom out for her birthday to Moti Mahal because she loves Indian food and all, and DAMN! everything I had was GOOD, the naan bread was like crack to me, I can't remember what I had but because of Moti Mahal I now love Indian food.:D

RX_EVOLV
09-09-2009, 01:34 AM
Went to Moti Mahal couple days ago for lunch buffet and it was rrealllyyy good. but I still like the Royal India buffet in downtown a little more. Their butter chicken and curry beef :drool: :drool: :drool:

mind you I have no idea what authentic India food is

bubbley
09-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Goto this low key place called SURYA in dowtown..google it

best indian, amazing buffet with fresh naan when you sit.