PDA

View Full Version : Review: Buchanan's

pinoyhero
03-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Steak House and Scotch Bar - Downtown

Food 7/10 - Decent and that's about it. I had the steak which was really just OK, the accompanying veggies were fresh and the starter salad with strawberries and candied pecans was a nice twist on the average house salad.

Service 7/10 - Pretty standard. The waiter was engaged and seemed knowledgeable and somewhat passionate but given the cost of the restaurant wasn't near what he needed to be.

Ambiance 7/10 - Again, really just average but in this case the classic look is wearing off a bit and becoming dated. We were in the restaurant section eating but I did notice the scotch bar was pretty cool looking. Would be a great place to go try a few scotches (they seemed to have hundreds) but I'm sure they be arming and legging you.

Value - 1/10 - A 10oz. sirloin that was just OK was $42 and the starter salad was $7. For this type of price I expect far better food service and ambiance. After a $12 glass of wine tip and tax I was in for $75 ... way too much given what I got and what you can get elsewhere in this city. Skip Buchanan's.

I would not recommend or return to this joint, on the value prop alone.

adam c
03-03-2009, 09:21 PM
really?

i used to be best friends with the owners son when i was in elementary

davidI
03-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by adam c
really?

Good guy. I went through High School with him.

I always liked it there but I'm usually just there for lunch & drinks and the occasional Scotch tasting. Haven't had an expensive dinner. Also haven't been there for a while so I can't really speak to what it is like today...

msommers
03-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by adam c
really?

Originally posted by davidI

Good guy. I went through High School with him.

Comments like these always make me laugh.

Thanks for the review, I was always curious about trying that place, now I don't have to bother!

mac_82
03-03-2009, 09:48 PM

R-Audi
03-04-2009, 09:01 AM
I believe their specialty is Burgers....
Last time I went and had their Burger I loved it!

sputnik
03-04-2009, 09:16 AM
$42 for a 10oz sirloin?

You can get a 10oz filet at many places for about the same price.

bigboom
03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
I believe their specialty is Burgers....
Last time I went and had their Burger I loved it!

+1, eff everything else on their menu they have the best burgers out of any place the serves burgers in this town. it's not a cheap burger but its well worth it.

20incheyes
03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
True they're only worthy of their burgers, it's one of the very few spots in Calgary that will cook your burger to order eg medium etc.

nonlinear
03-04-2009, 02:14 PM
been doing some reading about their burgers on chowhound. man, i think i'm gonna have to head down there very soon and try one of these bad boys.