PDA

View Full Version : I just brought a new (used) car....

bababadoan
03-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Question,

so i just brought a new used car that is 10 years old, im trying to re-sell it now, do i still need to register the car? i called the registry they told me i have to have insurance before i can register it, however like i said i'm trying to sell the car right now so i do not want to go through everything.

The previous owner has already took off the insurance of course, does that mean the registration isn't valid either?

basically i'm asking, do i STILL need to insure and register a car that i'm not planning on keeping/driving?

Thanks.

4lti7ude
03-04-2009, 10:59 AM
If you plan on driving that thing around yes you do.
I dont know if theres a law about cars sitting on the road with no license plate getting towed tho.

But for the most part you must have it registered and insured to drive it around even if you plan to sell it.

blownz
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
You should have insurance on it the second you own it if it is actually worth anything. Otherwise it really doesn't matter as long as you are not going to drive it. Plate doesn't matter either if you are keeping it off the road.

But what are you going to do if someone wants a test drive?

SRT10Killer
03-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by blownz
You should have insurance on it the second you own it if it is actually worth anything. Otherwise it really doesn't matter as long as you are not going to drive it. Plate doesn't matter either if you are keeping it off the road.

But what are you going to do if someone wants a test drive?
If the people working for calgary bylaw or police sees your car parked beside your driveway(not on the driveway) without a plate they will most likely tow it.

realazy
03-04-2009, 11:04 AM
You can sell a car without registering it. It's just you can't legally drive it or let anyone test drive it. You can't even legally park it on the street.

BUT if you still have a valid registration sticker on the plate, it's not like they randomly scan license plates of parked cars much, especially on residential streets.

Supa Dexta
03-04-2009, 11:09 AM
I put on a non legit plate yrs ago, (it was an active plate, it just wasn't mine) Then the car got smashed in the middle of the night by some drunk who ran into it.. Trust me, you don't want to go thru that hassle with the cops.. :nut:

Masked Bandit
03-04-2009, 04:43 PM
You are not obligated to insure / register it before reselling but how are you going to sell it without being able to let people test drive it?

blownz
03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by SRT10Killer

If the people working for calgary bylaw or police sees your car parked beside your driveway(not on the driveway) without a plate they will most likely tow it.

True, but if it is in your garage you are fine. And I don't know the details for Calgary, but in Edmonton even if the car is parked on your property like on your driveway and it has expired or no plates on it the city can ticket you. No plates or valid registration means the car can not be visible from the street.