PDA

View Full Version : High Cholesterol - Diet Help Needed :)

A790
03-04-2009, 12:04 PM
So I got back from the doc's and apparently my cholesterol is high :( He also said my BMI of 28 is also high and he wants me to lose 15 lbs. Hahahaha.

Anyway, the cholesterol thing does bug me. Any ideas for a diet that will help me reduce my cholesterol WHILE being able to get 200g/protein a day so I can cut down some fat while I'm at it?

01RedDX
03-04-2009, 12:12 PM

sputnik
03-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Why are you consuming 200g of protein per day?

That is your #1 problem.

A790
03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

That is your #1 problem.
Building muscle/cutting fat. To be fair, the test was done early January when I was 10-15lbs heavier. Still, I'd like some dietary variety as opposed to the chicken/veg/whole grain rice I've been living off of for the last little while :)

Darkane
03-04-2009, 12:21 PM

That is your #1 problem.

Oh yeah? Please elaborate.

Darkane
03-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by A790

Building muscle/cutting fat. To be fair, the test was done early January when I was 10-15lbs heavier. Still, I'd like some dietary variety as opposed to the chicken/veg/whole grain rice I've been living off of for the last little while :)

Hey,

The problem isn't fats, it's the triglycerides from the carbs. You might have to go fairly low carb for a while with a heavy dose fish oil (20g/d).

My cholesterol is perfect, that was eating 400g pro/d. 25g fish oil though and almost no carbs.

Gotta keep the fat intake up for Testosterone production. High bad cholesterol isn't that much of an issue anyway, it's good for hormonal production and sex drive. Enjoy while you're young :)

sputnik
03-04-2009, 12:24 PM

If you have an excess of fat you don't need a ton of protein to build muscle. Your muscle will repair itself with the reserve fat in your body. Just eat a normal amount of protein (20-30% of your caloric intake) and you will be fine.

In your attempt to consume 200g of protein (which is probably mostly meat) you are probably consuming FAR too much saturated fat which is killing your cholesterol and probably increasing your blood pressure as well.

If you want to drop your cholesterol increase your consumption of whole grain breads and cereals, oatmeal, fruits and vegetables (especially ones that are dark green) and back off on your meat and dairy intake.

A790
03-04-2009, 12:39 PM
My diet looks like this:

9 am: Quaker oat meal w/ blueberries

11:30 am: Chicken breast w/ peas + broccoli

2 pm: Chicken breast w/ peas + broccoli

3:30: Protein shake made with 1% milk

If it was a gym day, post-workout shake.

6:30: Variation of steak/tuna/salmon (usually tuna/salmon) w/ green beans, peas, other green veg

8:30: Chicken breast or can of tuna, maybe a pickle or two.

I don't see where I'm picking up the cholesterol to be honest... I generally don't eat junk food/candy/pop/etc. I do have a cheat day every week, but even then I don't go crazy.

sputnik
03-04-2009, 01:26 PM
One chicken breast has about 150 mg of cholesterol. Most doctors and nutritionists will tell you to keep your cholesterol intake to under 200 mg per day.

Considering the amount of chicken and fish you eat. I would say that you are at least 3-4 times that number. Never mind your "cheat" days.

Generally soluble fibre will take care of a good amount of cholesterol by "trapping" it. You probably don't consume nearly enough to manage 600-800 mg or cholesterol. Generally as a rule of thumb 10 g of soluble fibre will handle 150-200 mg of cholesterol.

A790
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
One chicken breast has about 150 mg of cholesterol. Most doctors and nutritionists will tell you to keep your cholesterol intake to under 200 mg per day.

Considering the amount of chicken and fish you eat. I would say that you are at least 3-4 times that number. Never mind your "cheat" days.

Generally soluble fibre will take care of a good amount of cholesterol by "trapping" it. You probably don't consume nearly enough to manage 600-800 mg or cholesterol. Generally as a rule of thumb 10 g of soluble fibre will handle 150-200 mg of cholesterol.
Where do I find this "soluable fibre"?

sputnik
03-04-2009, 01:32 PM

Where do I find this "soluable fibre"?

google...

Soluble fibre

Soluble fibre absorbs water in the intestine, which softens the stool and helps the waste material move through the body more quickly.

It is thought that soluble fibre may help to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood. This is due to the fact that soluble fibre binds the cholesterol from food or from bile acids, which are made up of cholesterol, preventing it from being absorbed into the bloodstream. This is then eliminated as waste, as the fibre cannot be digested.

Soluble fibre also slows down digestion and the sudden release of energy, especially from carbohydrates into the bloodstream. This means that blood sugar levels are more stable, which is good for people with diabetes, and energy or glucose is released slowly and steadily, preventing sudden feelings of tiredness, lack of energy or hunger pangs.

Sources of soluble fibre

Soluble fibre-rich foods include fruits, vegetables, lentils, peas, beans, oats, barley, oatmeal, potatoes, dried fruit, soya milk and soya products.

sdiep
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Maybe mix some wheat bran into your morning oats.
http://www.bobsredmill.com/product.php?productid=3585

Darkane
03-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Do not eat SOY! No man should be eating soy!

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/poison_protein

89coupe
03-04-2009, 02:46 PM
My diet looks like this:

9 am: Quaker oat meal w/ blueberries

11:30 am: Chicken breast w/ peas + broccoli

2 pm: Chicken breast w/ peas + broccoli

3:30: Protein shake made with 1% milk

If it was a gym day, post-workout shake.

6:30: Variation of steak/tuna/salmon (usually tuna/salmon) w/ green beans, peas, other green veg

8:30: Chicken breast or can of tuna, maybe a pickle or two.

I don't see where I'm picking up the cholesterol to be honest... I generally don't eat junk food/candy/pop/etc. I do have a cheat day every week, but even then I don't go crazy.

Holy crap you eat a lot...LOL

Kritafo
03-04-2009, 03:36 PM
so your cholesterol is high compared to other cholesterol test you have had in the past?

So trim your lbs down and diet.

Get yourself to the Dietician, they can tailor you a great program for the weight loss + lower your levels.

kidney beans, apples, pears, psyllium, barley and prunes, Walnuts, almonds, fish, olive oil.

Avoid the soy(a)

rony_espana
03-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Well I'm in the same boat as you, if you do figure out anything let me know. The only thing my doctor told me is to stay away from eggs, processed meats and cheese...oh yeah and exercise a bit. Found this list as well:

Eat more of these foods:

Omega-3 fatty acids from fish and plant source

Fish, poultry without the skin, lean beef

Skim or low-fat milk

Sherbet, sorbet, ice milk

Egg whites

Steamed vegetables

Baked potatoes

Clear soups

Unsaturated vegetable oils: corn, canola, safflower, sesame, sunflower, olive, soybean

Angel food cake

Graham crackers, animal crackers, fig bars, vanilla wafers, lady fingers

Pretzels, air-popped popcorn, bagels, English muffins

Pancakes or cereal with low-fat milk

Fruit

Eat less of these foods

Sausage, organ meats (like liver)

Whole milk

Ice cream

Egg yolks

Buttered or fried vegetables

French fries

Creamed soups

Saturated fats: butter, coconut oil, palm oil, lard, bacon fat

Cheesecake

Pastries, doughnuts

Potato chips

Refined carbohydrates and sugar

Eggs and bacon

kutt3r
03-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Wow there is a lot of bad advice here....

I agree with pretty much everything Darkane has to say, other than the soy... soy is actually fine if you are Asian... but your not so avoid it like the plague.

DON'T cut your protein... that will be counter productive to your training, as it is your are getting under 1gr/#

I love all the misconceptions there is about cholesterol, it is needed for the body to function properly, you just have to be smart about your choices.

Your diet is ridiculously clean... get retested and don't eat wings before your test this time...

Your fat should be a min 20% to keep test levels up.. that is why low cal/fat diets fail, just ask Oprah. Fish oil and Olive oil are your friend.

I typically eat in the 40% of fat and my bad cholesterol has never been high and I am tested regularly along with test levels.

4bier
03-06-2009, 12:21 AM
genetics is the biggest reason blood type ....i had high cholestrol. cut down your meat portions lotsa veggies & excercise

did your doc give u meds?

Toma
03-07-2009, 06:09 PM
So I got back from the doc's and apparently my cholesterol is high :( He also said my BMI of 28 is also high and he wants me to lose 15 lbs. Hahahaha.

Anyway, the cholesterol thing does bug me. Any ideas for a diet that will help me reduce my cholesterol WHILE being able to get 200g/protein a day so I can cut down some fat while I'm at it?
Duh... ;)

Atkins

Duh ;)

:poosie: :thumbsup:

Toma
03-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Actually, you are close to Atkins already. Just drop the skim milk, and the oates.

You do NOT need the shakes!! But, for shakes, buy low carb protein powder, but don't do more then one a day..... the artificial sweetener in them can fuck up your insulin and blood sugar anyway.

You are not getting enough fat.

For breakfast, may I suggest a boiled egg or two, half cup of cottage cheese with 2 tablespoons of flax oil (from the FRIDGE section of the health food store), with blueberries.

I don't see any eggs or butter in there.... add both those in.

I have a protein shake ONLY as a snack cause I miss ice cream... so I use chocolate with whipped cream and frozen mixed berries. It is kick ass.

As for your veggies... broccoli is great, maybe lighten up on the peas, add some cauliflower, and cabbage (i mix in the cloe slaw salad mix).

Get some spinach in there with the greens. If you are using dressing, "light" dressing can add sneaky carbs/sugars. Make sure to get rid of that, use real dressing, or vinegar, or mayo (again, not light!!).

Redlined_8000
03-07-2009, 07:50 PM
wow ya ok...

Things to do raise Good cholesterol and lower bad.

- Do your cardio, low and high intensity.
- take fish oil, 10-15g
- lots of fiber, green vegi, look into physilium fiber you can get it at any local health store, teaspoon daily with lotta water.
- eating low cholesterol wont lower your cholesterol, you need to eat good cholesterol to remove the bad. I eat minimum 4 eggs a day and have normal cholesterol.
- eat lotta nuts, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts and olive oil too.
- Stay away from Trans Fats, they're man made and can take months for your body to remove them.

Try that out.