PDA

View Full Version : Review: Nick-N-Willys Pizza, Woodbine SW Location

A790
03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Nick-N-Willys Pizza
2525 Woodview Dr SW
(403) 689-9594

Normally I don't review pizza places as pizza is pizza is pizza, right? Apparently not. Nick-N-Willy's is literally a 2 minute drive from my front door, and when a couple friends and I wandered in there last night we got great service and AWESOME pizza.

The sauce had a bit of tang to it, plenty of cheese, and the meats they used were awesome. The pizza was a bit more pricey than some other places (two 14" pizza's came to $41 w/ 2L coke), but since I rarely eat out anymore and it was my first time having pizza in a while I decided to just roll with it. I'm very glad I did.

We actually had it delivered so we could rent a movie in the interim. The driver showed up in a good mood and handed me THREE boxes instead of two: they screwed up one of the pizzas and decided they'd give it to us along with the two correct pizzas.

The screwed up pizza was also pretty damn tasty, it was just missing one of the meats.

Overall, very impressed. It's rare that you find a sweet pizza place that doesn't give you a pizza that's decked out with grease. If you live in the area I definitely recommend it.

JAYMEZ
03-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I thought you were training! Why you eating pizza lol!

Edit: Damnit I want pizza now.

A790
03-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
I thought you were training! Why you eating pizza lol!

Edit: Damnit I want pizza now.
Cheat meal, cheat meal, I swear!

nonlinear
03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
you're definitely right that pizza is not just pizza, but can you give some more information on what makes this pizza different or better than other places you've been to? all you basically say is that the meats are good, the sauce is tangy, and they have good service. have to say that based on your description, and calgary's pizza scene where 98% of places suck (arab or indian 2-for-1 joints using frozen dough balls and canned sysco sauce), i'm still very, very skeptical.

what style/genre of pizza is it? can you give any information on the crust type/quality, do you know if it's made fresh there, what about the type and quality of ingredients. what is their menu like?

any pics?

A790
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
you're definitely right that pizza is not just pizza, but can you give some more information on what makes this pizza different or better than other places you've been to? all you basically say is that the meats are good, the sauce is tangy, and they have good service. have to say that based on your description, and calgary's pizza scene where 98% of places suck (arab or indian 2-for-1 joints using frozen dough balls and canned sysco sauce), i'm still very, very skeptical.

what style/genre of pizza is it? can you give any information on the crust type/quality, do you know if it's made fresh there, what about the type and quality of ingredients. what is their menu like?

any pics?

I can't say I took pics.

The crust is not super thin (like Tom's House of Pizza), but it's also not Pizza 73 style either. It was also semi-crispy, which sounds a little weird but is actually quite good.

The few minutes I saw the staff making the pizza was decent enough to convince me. The dough was not frozen from what I saw: they rolled it out, tossed on the toppings, and threw it in what looked to be a wood-burning oven. Most pizza places use the "pizza treadmill" style oven, where the pizza rolls underneath the thingy for a few minutes until it's cooked.

Their menu is also pretty mixed, which some may or may not enjoy. One option had pineapple and mandarin oranges on it- not my cup of tea, but sounded good anyway.

We got the "Pepperoni Supreme" and the "Piccante", the latter having italian sausage and an assortment of veggies on it.

nonlinear
03-04-2009, 02:05 PM
well, thanks for the heads up, i'm gonna have to try this place out very soon.

ralliart_girl
03-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Oh! I think this place use to be...or the same as the one on 12ave. When I saw it closed down on 12th..i was sad. If it is the same place...I think one reason why their pizzas are soooo good is because all the ingredients are always really fresh.

RX_EVOLV
03-04-2009, 03:44 PM
ohh thanks for the heads up, been wondering about that place for the longest time, always walk by it when I go pick up my parcels at the store next door.

They also sent me this coupon for a complementary ceasar salad ... hmm .maybe its time to give them a try :drool:

A790
02-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Heart shapped pizza from Nick N Willy's = win for valentines day. The GF and I think VDAY is bullshit, but she wanted to do something small... heart shaped pizza NOM NOM!

DJ_NAV
02-13-2010, 07:13 PM
any info on the heat shaped pizza? might be interested.

A790
02-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Call 'em!

Trini
02-13-2010, 10:55 PM
damn I remember them from when they were on 12 ave, damn tasty and good customer service!

nonlinear
05-21-2010, 10:46 AM
hey A790, we are thinking about possibly trying this place out finally. Can you tell me if they have a dining room, or is it take out only?

JfuckinC
05-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Nick-n-Willys is good, had it at work before!

Idratherbsidewayz
05-21-2010, 01:02 PM
hey A790, we are thinking about possibly trying this place out finally. Can you tell me if they have a dining room, or is it take out only?

It's takeout. You can also grab a ready made pizza that you just throw in the oven and bake yourself for ultimate freshness.

Graham_A_M
05-21-2010, 02:00 PM
The one time I had Nick & Willys it was just awful. Glad to see you had a more positive experience.
That, Panago & Verns are places I now avoid. :thumbsdow

A790
05-21-2010, 04:29 PM

Take out and delivery :)